Green Foods and Cinnamon Rolls.

June 27, 2011

Yes, I know my eyes are glued shut.  I did it on purpose.  Billy was trying to be funny and take forever to take the picture while the sun was blaring in my eyeballs.  I showed him and just shut my eyes and scrunched up my face to avoid burning my retina’s.

Family bike ride to drop off goodies at neighbors houses….the best Sunday afternoon activity ever.

Billy and his red back pack.  I failed to mention I took a 12 hour nap.  I was out.  I may have even slept walked to the fridge to get a snack because I was asleep for so long that my stomach started growling.  I am surprised I didn’t sleep take a picture of whatever I ate because it has become second nature to me.

We don’t really like to grill but decided that we would whip it out tonight.  Oh wait, we have used the grill the last 5 out of 7 nights.

I don’t understand (and I refuse to try) people that don’t like asparagus.  Maybe they need some taste bud implants.

Charlie found a comfy spot.  He sat on the arm rest for a very long time.

I had a 7 lb baked potato (one of my college staples), cantaloupe (PERFECT RIPENESS), split a steak with B and asparagus brushed with lemon and olive oil.

That would be two large bottles of ibuprofen in the background……you would need it to if you had to live with me for 7 weeks.

The neighbors somehow knew that we are out of the ‘good’ flavors of ice cream and that my in-laws house guests cannot go a day without dessert and so they brought these heavenly cinnamon rolls. (Check out my cinnamon roll recipe if you have been on the search for a good one).

2 days left to enter my giveaway!!!!!

————————————————————————————————-

What are 5 of your favorite foods that are green?

-Asparagus, green sour patch kids, BROCCOLI, pears (the skin) and mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Do you know your neighbors?  Do you ever hang out with them?

-Love the neighbors here in cali and the people that live in our basement at home in Provo ROCK!!!

What is a HEALTHY ADDITION that you are going to do today?

-I am going to guzzle 100 ounces of water. My skin, mind and body are needing lots of water!!!

Ann @ Day By Day June 27, 2011 at 6:54 am

Brussel sprouts, kale, spinach, green tea, annnnd… pistachio gelato! I do love asparagus too though! It just doesn’t make the top 5. We do know our neighbors and often run into them at our neighborhood frozen yogurt stop!

Sylvia (My Attempt at Balanced Living) June 27, 2011 at 7:00 am

Asparagus, Brocoli, Green smoothies <—my healthy addition to my day
Kale chips! guacamole
I dont' know my neighbors well but we say hi to eachother. Friendliness counts right?

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 27, 2011 at 7:02 am

Your post titles crack me up :-)

5 fave green foods: spinach, broccoli, green m&m’s, lime safety suckers (remember those) and key lime yogurt.

Neighbors: I went on a date with one of my neighbors once. I thought it went well but we NEVER spoke again. Then I would run into him in the hall every now and then. AWKWARD. He moved out a month ago…yay!

Healthy Addition: More protein so I can be a buff girl!

Niki (Life's a Payne) June 27, 2011 at 7:09 am

asparagus, spinach, (roasted) kale, grapes, the milky green shots that one of my good friends make… haha!

I am getting on the water train (boat?) with you. I neglected water in favour of coffee all weekend!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 27, 2011 at 7:19 am

Green: Spinach, granny smith apples, brocolli, guacamole, zucchini

Today I am going to go to the cottage, relax after my relay this weekend and possibly bike ride a little. Oh and drink lots of water to rehydrate and eat healthy food because its just an all around good idea!

kari @running ricig June 27, 2011 at 7:29 am

We don’t really have any immediate neighbors right now. Someone bought the house next door to us LAST august and they still haven’t moved in and the other side has been vacant for years. The people in our neighborhood are pretty great though. They all refer to Mike and me as “the kids.”

Favorite green foods: spinach, avocado, green tea, golden delicious apples (they’re greenish), and …I’m drawing a blank.

I’m drinking truckloads of green tea today.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 27, 2011 at 7:30 am

I really don’t get asparagus haters either! Maybe it’s the fact that they’re so weird looking, but omg biting down on a fresh, juicy asparagus is amazing!!!

Cinnamon rollsssss…. For some reason I forget about them during the year until Christmas rolls around.

I LOVE broccoli (of course), spinach, Green Monsters!, the Green Lantern (aka Ryan Reynolds!!!) and green beans :)

Today, I’m going to swim for the first time this year!

TheHungeredOne @ MovingandMunching June 27, 2011 at 7:34 am

The whole funny pee smell is quite a turn off from asparagus, but I will still eat it every now and again.

Top five green foods?
Kale
Spinach
Broccoli
Collard greens
avocado

I’m going to morning swim practice followed by the gym :)

Pam June 27, 2011 at 7:42 am

You’re having way too much fun!! The “fun police” is going to make an arrest because i think you may be exceeding the limit!! :)

5 fav. green foods – spinach, brocolli, pistacio ice-cream, asparagus, edamame!

Know our neighbors but, don’t hang out with them.

Healthy addition – vitamins!! :)

Lizzy @ runbakerace June 27, 2011 at 7:44 am

The husband and I have the best neighbors. They were at our wedding and I always bring them over some treats when I bake.

Emily@RunningPerspective June 27, 2011 at 7:45 am

green foods are my LIFE:
spinach
green pears
snap peas
asparagus
zucchini
…i could keep going but i dont want to bore you
and YES my neighbors are PRACTIALLY MY FAMILY we love them. they come for christmas.
and i am so with you on upping the water…as well as trying to do 20 min of yoga today or at least some stretching some point in the day!

Allison June 27, 2011 at 7:48 am

Forgot to comment, but I totally loved the alien comparison shot the other day. Haha.

5 green foods: avocado, guacamole, seaweed salad, roasted brussel sprouts, and asparagus

We are cordial to our neighbors, but that’s about it!

Healthy today = I just made a fruit salad with raspberries, blueberries and pineapple. Go health!

misszippy June 27, 2011 at 7:48 am

So nice of you to take goodies to the neighbors–I’m sure it was appreciated. I not only know my neighbors, but spend lots and lots of time with them. We have a little village here–we all pitch in and help out with the kids, etc. It’s really awesome.

Emily @ eat.drink.run. June 27, 2011 at 7:49 am

i love green food! my faves are broccoli, spinach, kale, asparagus, sugar snap peas…and pistachios! Oh an green frosting is good too :)

i’m guzzling lots of water today and making enormous salads tonight with my sister who’s visiting from out of town! and running :)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness June 27, 2011 at 7:49 am

Hmmm…my top favourite greenfoods are:
- green juice (celery, cucumber, spinach, lemon, ginger, parsley = :-D)
- broccoli
- spinach
- buttercup squash (the skin is green, so it totally counts, lol!)
-kale
My least favourite green food is wheatgrass. Or should that be wheatgrOss, lol! It’s just so nasty I can’t stomach it, even though I know it is amazing for you!
If I were in Cali I would be grilling 5 days out of 7 too – your dinner looks delicious! xyx

Lindsey June 27, 2011 at 7:58 am

Spinach, cucumber, asparagus, peas and avocado! Oh and green teas!

I know my neighbors but we aren’t really friends with them! I actually want to coordinate a block party this summer so we can get to know everyone better, but I am still thinking it might be creepy to some people!?

I am going to go for a run after work, high of 24 here today, so it will make for a nice run in the sun!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row June 27, 2011 at 8:05 am

Who doesn’t like asparagus? We love it at our home – even my kiddos. My top 5: spinach, avocado, broccoli, asparagus, and green peppers.

Thanks for a great post!

dana @ my little celebration June 27, 2011 at 8:10 am

5 favorite green foods: broccoli (duh), spinach, lettuce, green apples and green peanut M&Ms :D.

Laura June 27, 2011 at 8:14 am

Brocolli, Arugula, Pears, Cake that has been dyed green with food coloring, Green Peppers (fajitas)

We talk to neighbours sometimes but they don’t seem to want to hang out. We invited them over for a party we were having and they just didn’t show up. And we knew they were home (obviously!). I had a picture of what having a house in the burbs would be like. When we moved in I thought people would be showing up with Pies! Yet again, the movies have fooled me…

today I am going to REST and also going to see my PT! that’s good for my body right :)

Rene June 27, 2011 at 8:14 am

Green food: avacado, spinach, green apples, zuccini, guacamole.

Neighbors: I have one neighbor that I go to church with who is awesome at making friends with everyone on the street. I have met most of the neighbors I know through her. They are awesome and I love that my son can go outside to play.

Healthy addition: I’m going to drink more water today!

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 27, 2011 at 8:15 am

I’m finally loving asparagus! It took me a while, but I’m there :). I think my healthy addition today will be drinking lots of water too- I don’t think I’ve been getting enough.

Samantha June 27, 2011 at 8:17 am

Do you remember when Heinz tried to come out with green Ketchup? It was so weird/gross looking that it lasted like a month in the grocery stores. ha.

Green: broccoli, edamame, avocado, green grapes, and…key lime pie? (totally not green, but whatevs)

Erin@gosupermamago June 27, 2011 at 8:20 am

I agree, grilled asparagus is sooo yummy!

Top five greenies: broccoli, spinach, avocado, romaine, and zucchini.

My neighbor and I shared a skinny girl margarita just a couple of days ago :)

I’m focusing on increasing my weight in strength training this week, and looking forward to next week when I start marathon training for my first full! yippeeee!

rumfunandsun June 27, 2011 at 8:32 am

Apples, green beans, mint chocolate chip ice cream, avocados and green peppers!

I like asparagus too but my family doesn’t which is highly inconvenient!!!

rumfunandsun June 27, 2011 at 8:33 am

Apples, green beans, mint chocolate chip ice cream, avocados and green peppers!

I like asparagus too but my family doesn’t which is high inconvenient!!!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 27, 2011 at 8:43 am

I used to hate green foods when I was a little kid and could probably count on one hand the number of times I actually put something green in my mouth… I didn’t even really like green candy (red and orange were the best!), but now I totally LIVE for green. Broccoli, spinach, avocado, brussel sprouts, and asparagus are probably my favorite. But I’m not gonna lie… I’d probably take one of those cinnamon rolls over any of the green stuff ;)

natalie @ southern fit foodie June 27, 2011 at 9:06 am

I agree on the asparagus – I just don’t get how people couldn’t like it!
Top five green foods: asparagus, broccoli, spinach, avocado, and Irish mint frozen yogurt.

I do know my neighbors and they are great! We don’t really hang out that often because our schedules and really opposite, but we share stuff from our garden with them and they bring over goodies sometimes.

I am also doing the water thing today. Today is my heavy workout day (4 workouts and coaching cheer practice), so I will definitely need it! I have a water jug that holds 64 oz, and I plan on drinking it all and refilling it again and drinking it! I have a feeling we will both be running to the bathroom all day!!! :)

Lindie June 27, 2011 at 9:11 am

Favorite green foods are green beans, artichokes, broccoli, avocados and honeydew! Yummy!

We have neighbors and we LOVE them! We hangout with them ALL the time! We are having a BBQ at our house for Neighborly FHE tonight!

Today I am going to Costco and working in my garden for my healthy addictions!

Cara June 27, 2011 at 9:17 am

is it ridiculous that half the reason (well maybe not haalf) I’m in school to become a teacher is so I can have awesome summers off like this? :)

Christel June 27, 2011 at 9:23 am

Dinner looks delicious! I love asparagus! In fact…I’m heading over to the grocery store to get me some for tonight’s dinner. :)

Lee @ in the pink of condition June 27, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hehe you crack me up girl! My dad hates asparagus, and I refuse to talk to him after he says ridiculous things like that.

My favorite 5 green things are: brussel sprouts, ASPARAGUS!!!!, spinach, cucumbers, and fennel :-)

Wendi @ A Southern Yogi June 27, 2011 at 9:29 am

ASPARAGUS IS MY FFFFFFFAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

and then I like
spinach
LeSeur peas although I think those aren’t as healthy
hmmm. this green thing is harder than I thought. I don’t love greens as much.
oh brussel sprouts – when I roast them for sure
grapes!! i forgot about fruit. oh, avocados. scratch grapes, avocados.

sorry for the spaz comment

Christine June 27, 2011 at 9:35 am

5 green foods… that’s a challenge! I’d say this notorious pistachio pudding/pineapple salad my family makes, broccoli, green M&Ms, Midori Sours (sorry), and pesto!

shelly June 27, 2011 at 9:44 am

I love asparagus, kiwi, green beans, grapes and seaweed salad. Dogs are so funny. Love the picture of your dog sitting in that chair.

lindsay June 27, 2011 at 9:49 am

oh man, i LUV LUV asparagus on the grill. The bigger the better. ;)

I am so glad you are enjoying yourself out in CA. What a blessing! Today I am going make more healthy bites for clients and save a few for us! thats healthy, right?

Cindy M. June 27, 2011 at 9:49 am

5 green foods: peas, salad (of course drenched in dressing), cucumbers, guacamole, and lima beans (weird, I know)

Some of our neighbors are great. They invite us to swim in their pool and our kids play together. Some not so friendly. But they are from California…;-)

Today I am going to do some cross training. I have a difficult time making this happen. I typically either just run or do nothing.

Sarah June 27, 2011 at 9:57 am

Let’s see healthy addition: I’m going to bike to class (4 miles) and drink lots and lots of water too!

Emily @ Sweating Sugar June 27, 2011 at 10:03 am

I love asparagus too! You are inspiring me to grill more!

Rachelle June 27, 2011 at 10:04 am

Love you posts! I could not agree with you more that people who do not like asparagus are absolutely missing out. Best food ever!

Green favorites: cucumbers, green otter pops, carmel apple suckers, asparagus, and green grapes! That was fun. ha ha I need to get a life.

Love you girl have a great day!

Ashley June 27, 2011 at 10:07 am

Just started reading your blog a few weeks ago and now I check it like a million times a day. Its nice to see I’m not the only one who consumes their own body weight in food every day. . :)

What are 5 of your favorite foods that are green? – asparagus, broccoli, spinach, mint flavored skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, apples

Do you know your neighbors? Do you ever hang out with them? – not really, but they always wave when I run by. and if I switch my running times, skip runs they say ‘hey we missed you last night’ when I run by the next time. :)

What is a HEALTHY ADDITION that you are going to do today? – I need to drink a ton of water, flying across the country for work later and I’m still dehydrated from my run last night. I think it was still in the 90s when I started my run at 7:30pm. :(

Christina @ The Athletarian June 27, 2011 at 10:15 am

I love cucumbers, spinach (especially in my smoothies), asparagus (which I just tasted for the first time recently…deprived, I know), gummy bears (on my fro-yo, but the red and white ones still win), and GUACAMOLE! Deep down I am Mexican.

I am going to eat a lot of RAW vegetables and healthy food today. Kinda had a crazy food weekend so my body needs some healthy goodness this week!

PS That potato might be the size of my face. Wait, no…the size of my forehead.

xo

Trisha June 27, 2011 at 10:22 am

5 favorites…hmm…broccoli, apples, almond butter (ya it is a food), oatmeal & snap peas. Delish.

Cory Reese June 27, 2011 at 10:28 am

I am impressed by all your grilled food. Everything looks so good! You have convinced me to get a BBQ.

Coy June 27, 2011 at 11:15 am

I don’t have an y neighbors since I live out in the country but if I did live in town I think I would wanna know them…maybe :)

Greens….hmmmm, lets see. Peas, green beans, lettuce, bell peppers. Yum.
That cinnamon roll will have me drooling for awhile. No fair!!

My cousin has a dog that sits on peoples laps, he’s a large doberman so it’s weird.

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 27, 2011 at 11:32 am

A 12 hour nap!? That sounds fantastic! I could sure use one of those. I love how you went on a family bike ride! Seriously–so cute!!

Green foods spinach, peas, broccoli, lettuce, green m&m’s, green skittles

My brother-in-law and his wife live across the street from me!

Healthy addiction for today: hit up the gym, grab groceries, and hit the hay EARLY!

Mandee Pearson June 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I love Kale, Spinach. roasted broccoli and asparagus and snap peas!! most of those are growing my garden now!!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm

ok, try not to drown yourself internally, though!!! Green veg?? avocado, brussels, choy sum, tomatillos, and peas.

kristi (sweet cheeks) June 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm

summer is all about grilling over here! I adore veggies on the grill…oh and pineapple. so good! and followed by ice cream, how can one go wrong?!

emz June 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm

you
lost
me
after
the
photo
of
the
cin
rolls.

OMGosh

Alyssa @ Run Charlie Run June 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

asparagus, limes, avocado, seaweed snacks, andddddd green sour patch kids.

We are pretty new to the complex but a couple of our neighbors are nice

I too am on the tons of water bandwagon today, and pretty much everyday. 2L at least! Its getting hot down here!

Lara June 27, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Kale, spinach, cucumber, green apples, and green gummy bears!

I don’t know any of my neighbors but I wish I did!

Hmmm healthy thing, I guess getting a good night’s sleep and not stressing too much because I have an exam tomorrow!

Laura @ Backstage Pass June 27, 2011 at 1:17 pm

My favorite 5 green things: Spinach, mint oreo ice cream, asparagus, bell peppers and cilantro!

Healthy addition for today – I’m going to drink a delicious, refreshing cold glass of water after I hit ‘submit’ on this comment :-)

Alexa @ Simple Eats June 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Favorite green thangs: cilantro, asparagus, green monstah smoothies, granny smith apples and mint choco chip ice cream!

Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters June 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Green foods: spinach, guacamole, brussels sprouts, green grapes (frozen!)

Today I’m going to run (literally) to the library to get some books before I go out of town for July 4th!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Oh girl… I am a grilling PRO. But clearly you are too. YUMM ASPARAGUS!

Courtney @ girlinthepink June 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm

My healthy additions:

Making time for 40 minutes of cardio in between meetings and chores! Then I’m refueling with a green smoothie!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail June 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Hey J!! I am catching up in the bloggy world after being in Seattle all weekend! You bet I love asparagus on the grill…how about some fav green foods: Spinach, broccoli, grapes, apples, and asparagus!

HOpe your week is going AWESOME!!!!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I couldn’t agree more, people that don’t like asparagus are just wrong! Ha
Five favorite green foods: green skittles (the only good kind in my honest opinion), asparagus, artichokes, grapes, anddd spinach! And also the green lollipops you sometimes can get at banks, yumm

Don’t know my neighbors too well… ought to change this!

I also need to drink more water, so that will be my healthy addition today too :)

char @ char on a mission June 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I love spinach (especially in the smooth-dawg aka smoothie), kiwi, asparagus fo sho too…so delish!

Hayley @ Hayley Daily June 27, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I just adore Charlie!! So cute. :)

Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza June 27, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Love your pup!

5 green foods..hmm…

I like spinach as in the spinach artichoke dip, green apples (with caramel and candy on them in fall!), I also enjoy mint chocolate chip ice cream, I love canned green beans (weird I know), and Kale to mention a healthy one :)

Melissa June 27, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Good call with the water. I feel like I don’t drink enough water when I’m at home, bc when I’m at work I carry a big old water bottle with me everywhereee!

Let’s see: steamed broccoli, spinach, pears, zucchini, celery, and can’t forget green smoothies!!!!

Liz @ Something To Chew On June 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Spinach, artichoke dip, guacamole, green Smarties, cilantro!

I don’t know my neighbours :( I live in an apartment building, and everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. Buuut. I do know they’re loud. I can hear them through my wall. So I guess I know some of their tendencies? Haha

Healthy addition: definitely drinking water. I brought my water bottle to work today and hardly touched it. Going to go chug now….

Natalie June 27, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Green Monster Smoothies, Avocado, Brussel Sprouts, Mint Chocolate Ice-Cream and Spinach

Lizzi June 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Broccoli, granny smith apples, brussels sprouts, avocado (especially in guacamole form!), pistachio gelato!
(and if i can sneak an extra one in…. green peanut m&ms!)

I sort of vaguely know the guy who lives in the apartment next to me. He and his roommate are opera singers! So I always hear them practicing their scales. He’s always apologising for making so much noise, but I don’t mind at all! I think it’s really cool! :) I don’t know any of the other people in my apartment building though, which makes me sad… cos who am I gonna go to when I need to borrow some eggs or lock myself out?!?!?! haha :(

Healthy addition goals…
- LOADS more veggies! I love my veg but for some reason I haven’t been eating much lately.
- more dairy/calcium… preferably SOME that isn’t in the form of ice cream
- more water/less coffee!
- eating better, bigger, more filling breakfasts!

Lizzi June 27, 2011 at 7:35 pm

OH! Some more…

- MORE SLEEP (need this DESPERATELY! no more excuses for staying up ‘just 5 minutes more’)
- LESS cardio, MORE strength training
- A GOOD, LONG, PROPER STRETCHING SESSION at least two times a week
- Begin to incorporate some more (short) runs into my workout routine (after my last race, i’ve had a while off, and I’m beginning to miss it).

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 27, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I’m not in college anymore, but I still live off of potatoes!

Dorry June 27, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I went to a hot yoga class this evening – it was my healthy addition to the day! And I LOVE avocado. #1 green food.

Samantha June 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Asparagus, lettuce (a head of lettuce in 2 meals – yeah I eat a LOT), green grapes, avacado, and cucumber!

My neighbors are okay, but I’d rather have cool younger neighbors!

Healthy for me – today – taking a rest day after 20, and a long busy weekend (not fun busy either…boohoo).

Alisa @ Runs with Knives June 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I overdosed on asparagus this spring on the first day it was ripe enough to consider eating it. I had to take a bit of a break from it. Two weeks later, and I still think my pee smells funny. Don’t worry, I will start craving it again soon.

The neighbors right behind us are pretty nice and are willing to put up with our strangeness. But others have called to complain to the police about everything odd we do. Like having three cars parked on the driveway; totally legal. And protecting our new bushes in the winter from road salt with tarps; again legal AND the city even does it. The police have learned to love us and our quirkyness. And we have learned to distrust the neighbors.

Melissa @ TryingToHeal June 27, 2011 at 9:48 pm

when i was a kid i knew all my neighbors! i actually have an “adopted” grandma and grandpa (rip, sadly) who lived next door to me since i was born, and before that! she is the greatest and strongest person I know (colon AND breast cancer! what a fighter)! i also knew all the families within about 5 houses or more on each street near my house!!!

christian louboutin uk June 28, 2011 at 10:24 am

Thank you for your article, I learned a lot. christian louboutin uk also welcome your visit.