Acupuncture and my first time catching a fish.

May 20, 2014

I am now resorting to absolutely anything to get this right leg of mine feeling better.  Even if it means dealing with a bunch needles.  At least I had some sweet artwork on the wall to keep me entertained.

I am not going to lose hope about this marathon (I repeat this to myself 400 times a day).

So I went fishing for my first time ever last night.  Is that weird to have never been fishing for the first 28 years of my life?  We went up to Payson Lakes which is about 30 minutes away from me and it was insanely gorgeous.  I have vowed to never leave these mountains again, they are too good to me.

After about 30 minutes I caught my very first fish ever.  That is my face of—>  “I am so excited but creeped out and nervous but really excited.”

We returned the fish back alive to the lake.

I did not touch the fish.  That would just freak me out too much.

BBQ Chicken Skewers for din din.

And some pink lemonade in a fancy cup….   Mormons:)

The best part of the meal had to have been the chocolate fondue that we made to go with the…

500 strawberries that I ate.

I’m telling ya.. you would love it in Utah.  Once my leg gets feeling better I am going on a 20 mile trail run up around these lakes.

And of course I couldn’t miss the first episode of The Bachelorette with Paige and Jess last night so it was a frozen hot chocolate kind of a night while watching boys attempt to be dramatic on television.

WHO IS WATCHING THE BACHELORETTE THIS SEASON?  Who thinks the whole idea of this television show is absolutely ridiculous?

Mountains or beach?  Which would you rather live right by?

Ever been fishing?  Where?

Are you a camping kind of a person?

-Yes I love it but my max is probably 2 nights and 3 days.  After that I want my bed.

Karen @karenlovestorun May 20, 2014 at 2:03 pm

BEACH! I am a beach baby and belong next to the ocean :)
I love camping. We’ve been camping all over. The most amazing place to camp was in Yellowstone (I spent most nights awake worried bears would come by but other than that it was gorgeous!) :)

Karen @karenlovestorun

Rachel @ My Adventures As A Rinderknecht May 20, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I’ve never lived by the beach so I would love to see what that would be like. The mountains are amazing though and make for some beautiful runs :) I love fishing, but only if I catch something fast haha! Those strawberries in chocolate look amazing!

Susan May 20, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I love the water, but have the mountains in my back yard so I guess I will say mountains! We do love camping–we have a small RV but my max is still about 3 days and 2 nights :)

I think acupuncture will really help you! It reduces pain a great deal. I go about 2 x per month. I benefit so much from it…good luck!!

Laura@twinsontherun May 20, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Gorgeous pics! I love living in Utah!
Definitely watching the bachelorette…I just can’t turn away! Have you heard of the Bachelor in Paradise that’s coming on this summer?? It’s like bachelor pad but on an island!
I love our mountains but I’d pick beach since I’m a California girl originally :)

Liz May 20, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Mountains! But then, I’m a Utah girl.

Does sleeping in a cabin count as camping? Probably not. I just really enjoy running water, a flushing toilet, and a real bed.

Oh, and you’ve sold me on the Pink Lady apples. You’ve talked about them in a few posts and I finally decided to try one. Now I’m totally hooked. We should invest in some Pink Lady Apple stock. :)

I’ve been fishing in the Uinta mountains (we have a cabin there). However, I’m not a fan of fishing–I think it’s boring. But I AM A fan of eating the fish. Yum, yum!

Cecilia May 20, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I’ve watched every season of the bachelor/bachelorette… i promise every season when it ends i’m done but it’s a guilty pleasure.

I prefer beach! i love the sand in my toes, sandy hair, and toasty skin!

Natalie @ Free Range Human May 20, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Mountains, hands down! I’ve never been much of a beach girl.

I really love to camp. My husband and I are big backpackers, and stay out in the backcountry for days on end.

Kristina @ Blog About Running May 20, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Congrats on catching your first fish, and I am glad that you put it back in the lake ;) I have a weird fish phobia and had to scroll past that pic real quick, haha. I would prefer that they all just stay under the water where I don’t have to look at them!

I live near the beach and honestly don’t know if I could give up the sound of crashing waves while I run. It’s so calming and helps me destress at the end of the day…but I’d be willing to try it for a couple months to enjoy your beautiful mountains!

Hollie May 20, 2014 at 2:14 pm

WHIPPED CREAM SOUL SISTER!!!

Hahaha.

Please don’t lose hope in your marathon. You are doing all the right recovery things. No amount of training you could do right now if you were running enhance your fitness for the marathon.

Sweet fish catch too. I once went fishing and drew blood on my own finger….so yeah the end.

Than May 20, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Ohhhhhhh! Get it girl!!! High five mama! Looks like a great catch ;)

Emmeline@RunForThePizza May 20, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Mountains!! I’ve been fishing a bunch of times, at lakes at my aunt’s house, and deep sea fishing a few times :) congrats on your first catch!

Leah May 20, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Beach, for sure. Though the coastlines change and then your house is under the sea. Life is not better down where it’s wetter, take it from me.

Adriana @ Laced Up With Lipstick May 20, 2014 at 2:26 pm

If that was a fishing date, that’s my idea of aN awesome date! I’m watching the Bachelorette even though I think it’s a horrible way to find love lol. I could not date a man who was dating other women.
Mountains or Beach is a hard question. While I’m a beach type vacation girl and I love the ocean I love running trails and the mountains are so gorgeous. I think I’d prefer living in the mountains and vacationing at the beach, although if it was a Caribbean island like St. Kitts I’d move in a heart beat and no one would hear from me again.
We went fishing this weekend, I’ve never caught a fish though.
I am not a camping kind of person even though I’ve done it several times.

Megan D May 20, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Definitely a great catch! If you know what I mean. Dang I am funny.

Strawberries covered in chocolate is always muy bueno.

I like camping, but I think my max is about the same as yours. And I am not sure I could choose between the mountains or the beach. I am not one to just lay around in the sun (I know my super tan skin might make you think otherwise) and I really love to hike. So maybe the mountains a little bit more.

I hope all these things are helping your leg and that you will be at that UVM starting line. I will be at the finish to cheer you on!

AmandaM May 20, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I live near Boston so I love going to Cape Cod in the summer and LOVE the water. But I’m coming to visit Utah in July and I’m so excited to see the beautiful vista. I went to Arizona a year and a half ago and the mountains and different landscape( from what I’m used to) were breathtaking.

I’ve only been fishing once and camping twice and both were with they only guy I ever loved (thanks for bringing up the painful memories! haha. just kidding :) ). I really liked it but yes, two-three days is my max. And I also like those camp grounds with ACTUAL showers. Although if there were a pretty, clean lake nearby that would suffice. It’s fun to “rough” it sometimes.

Lily @ Lily Runs the World May 20, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Those pictures are beautiful! I can’t decide between the mountains and the beach, so that’s why I live somewhere that has both :) Although if I absolutely had to choose, I think I’d choose the ocean.

mary @ minutes per mile May 20, 2014 at 2:36 pm

fishes freak me out, but not as much as juan pablo did. let’s hope that this season isn’t as awful as the last…

Domi @ Eat Pray Lift May 20, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Well if that just isn’t the cutest date ever! ;)

Candice May 20, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Mountains. Duh!

Catherine May 20, 2014 at 2:44 pm

That fish is huge! That looks like such a fun little outdoorsy trip.

Jenn May 20, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Most ridiculous show ever but i Cant. Stop. Watching! Utah mountains are gorgeous and you might be convincing me to relocate :)

Christina (sisters running the kitchen) May 20, 2014 at 2:49 pm

who’s that helping you with the fish ?? ;)

Kim May 20, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I was thinking the same thing Christina!! ;)

Michelle H. May 20, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I want to know too!

Annette May 20, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I would rather live by the mountains – I live in Florida and think the beach is pretty but I would rather have mountain views and trails to run in and be able to just visit the beach for vacay. Went fishing with my dad when I was a little girl he tried his best to get me to like it so I could be his fishing buddy (only child) but I hate it. NEVER been camping and hope to NEVER experience it – EVER – I hate not having running water, a restroom and a bed ;)

I hope your leg gets better soon – I really want to read all about how you kicked marathon butt ad BQ’d . . . best of luck from Florida!

Laura May 20, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I love the beach.

I’m with you….2 nights of camping is MORE than enough!

I haven’t watched the bachelor/bachelorette since the Trista and Ryan days, lol.

Rebecca@Runningfoodbaby May 20, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Catching fish is fun! Although like you, I don’t like to touch them after!

I am a beach girl I think

I’ve never watched Bachelorette – not my thing.

Megan @ The Skinny-Life May 20, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I live by the mountains, but I love visiting the beach! Can you believe I’ve never been camping before in my life? I’ve always wanted to. I agree…Utah really is beautiful.

Debbie @ Deb Runs May 20, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I would much rather live by the mountains (and a lake) than the beach. With that said, we own a family beach house…

Your pink lemonade in a wine glass reminded me of grad school in Utah. At parties we had Morman and Catholic drinks. Obviously non-alcohol versus alcohol. It always cracked me up that the drinks were identified by religion rather than just saying spiked or non-spiked. HaHa!!! Thanks for the flash-back!

If I had strawberries freshly dipped in chocolate, perhaps I’d like camping! :-)

Wendy May 20, 2014 at 3:12 pm

That is so funny!!

Courtney May 20, 2014 at 3:02 pm

In Seattle/western WA you get both mountains AND beach… The best of both worlds ;)

Molly Rose May 20, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Duh I’m watching the Bachelorette. Even though I said I’d never watch it again. Oh wait, that was 5 seasons ago ;)

I’ve always lived near the beach, but I love visiting the mountains! A change of scenery is good, but I think I’d prob stick with the warm weather here.

My husband and I are working on becoming pro-tent-campers (yes its a thing, and yes we are working very hard at it). We love the outdoors, but we really need some better comfort, last time it felt like we slept on rocks!

Keep up that positive attitude about your leg!

Jackie May 20, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Congrats on the fish!!!

Tina @ Jog Wild May 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Fish or no fish, that looks like a lovely time! Mountain lakes, grilled chicken, strawberries, ahhh…. I’m not Mormon and like a good glass of wine but I sometimes prefer lemonade in a fancy cup!

I LOVE acupuncture, and hope it helps you. I have to say, though, that the only thing that really and truly helped me was strength training. The needles helped to get blood flow but for me it was a LOT of PT. A lot. As in, forever and ever amen. Sigh. ;-)

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles May 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm

No doubt – the beach. I have been fishing with camp when I was younger but it’s not my thing at all. I love fondue though anytime anywhere!

Erin Duffy May 20, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I sure hope the reason that you did not tell us who you went fishing with is because it was your DATE and that you will be telling us more soon :-)

Bachlorette picks: I am a fan of the cooking king Marquel and of course the good-looking baseball player Josh M.

The Hungry Runner Girl May 20, 2014 at 3:56 pm

SP May 21, 2014 at 4:10 am

Thank you! I was reading through the comments and wondering why NO ONE had commented on the identity of the shadowy man. Hooray for dates!

Erin Duffy May 21, 2014 at 6:35 am

I am hoping that an upcoming blog title will be “Catching everyone up on my dating life!” :-)

Nancy May 20, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Date fishing, fabulous idea – who brought the chicken . . . were you afraid of not catching one…..

I think I will go on a fishing date in the near future..

BEACH, BEACH and BEACH baby

Becky @ Ok, so here's the plan May 20, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Those mountains are beautiful, but I am more of a beach girl if I had to choose.

I used to go fishing with my dad and brother when I was a kid in Oregon. They were mostly stocked lakes, but we had a lot of fun.

I am a camping kind of person to some extent. I’m good for a few days and then I get tired of sleeping on the ground. My boyfriend and I did a road trip in a little camper for 32 days and that wasn’t bad at all!

Livi May 20, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I both think the idea of the Bachelorette is ridiculous BUT I am also watching…. I can’t resist haha
It’s not AS good as the Bachelor though…boys just don’t know how to be dramatic haha

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 20, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Your fishing/lemonade/fondue date sounds perfect! How fun!

I like to camp, but I’m with you, 2 nights is my max … then I want my own bed/toilet/shower/etc.

C’mon right leg, heal up ASAP! Hoping it gets better for you!

Teresa May 20, 2014 at 3:54 pm

What a romantic date! If he thought of the chocolate, strawberries and special glasses for a “fancy” drink, that is proof that there still are special “fish” in the sea to choose from (but he might be a keeper).
I am so happy that you are feeling more confident in yourself.
I love to camp! Live in Florida, but not a fan of the beach, would rather be in the mountains.
And just to add, Brooke is a little sweetheart!

Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 20, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I LOVE my mountains in Oregon. The beach is always a place where I envision vacations. The mountains are my eye candy every day and make for endless amounts of entertainment. :) I grew up fishing and even lived up in Alaska for a summer to fish for salmon and halibut – it’s so peaceful. Your fishing picture is so cute!

What is frozen hot chocolate? Is it like a slushy?

Leah @ Running with the Hayneses May 20, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I’m interested to hear what you think of the acupuncture!

I’d choose mountains any day, and yes, I think I would like Utah. If only I could pack up my entire extended family and move them out west. :)

Karin May 20, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I’ve never gotten into the Bachelor/Bachelorette. My guilty pleasure is Chopped. Even though I can’t really cook unless I follow a recipe to the letter, I love food and it amazes me what they create.
Being a Utah girl myself, I have to say I love the mountains. And the red rock. And the lakes. But the beach is fun to visit!
My camping max is the same as yours, my fishing max is about 2 hours, but my hubs could live outdoors and fish for a week straight. I just need more stimulation.

jade May 20, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Looks like a fun little fishing trip!

Jennifer May 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I live in So Cal so I have access to the beach and mountains. If I had a choice between one I would choose the BEACH!

I have been fishing many times as a child. My grandpa use to take us in Colorado and Nebraska. I have never caught a fish. My grandpa would always sneak a fish on my line when I wasn’t looking and act like I caught it. Such a fun memory to have.

tess May 20, 2014 at 5:51 pm

What a great memory. That’s awesome.

Runner Girl Eats May 20, 2014 at 4:47 pm

This date is the most romantic thing I have ever seen. I grew up in Miami so I spent yearssss fishing…but usually deep sea so just slightly different :) And despite growing up in Miami, I will choose the mountains over the beach any day.

Victoria @Smiles 'n' Snuggles May 20, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I have been fishing and I love it. I have my own rod and everything. Both of my little guys also have their own but they have little plastic fish attached to the bottom so they don’t hook anyone. I’m totally a camping girl. I can’t wait until the boys are a bit older to go!

Monica May 20, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I pray that your leg is okay and that you can run your marathon.
I don’t watch the Bachelor shows so I want to say they are ridiculous, but since I’ve never seen them I won’t judge :)
I really love the beach but since I burn easily I’ll go with mountains.
I’ve been fishing tons, especially while growing up (my poor dad and his 3 girls!)-mostly in Louisiana- better known as Sportsman’s Paradise.
You are better than me-the idea of camping sounds nice, but I’m done after 1 night-ha!
Hmmmm-nice picture there Janae ;)

macalla May 20, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Fishing date looked very fun and relaxing. : )

And I’m torn because I love the mountains and beaches. It’s hard to decide!

Sally @ sweat out the small stuff May 20, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Must live near the beach. But I love hiking in the mountains! Hard to choose.
I used to fish with my dad. And let him put the bait on. Lol.

Good luck with the acupuncture. I had success with some ankle tendonitis with acupuncture. Took about 3 treatments so don’t freak if you feel no change.
You are being so proactive and smart. Praying you get to that marathon starting line healthy!!!!

Your fishing (date?) looked like loads of fun!!!

Jenny May 20, 2014 at 5:09 pm

This is probably wicked random but I love your hair! It always looks so cute! You should do hair tutorials :)

Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 20, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I would always have to choose the beach. While the mountains are pretty and relaxing, there is just something about being on the beach that I love.

amy May 20, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Camping or glamping! We are spending 2 weeks in Utah this summer, so excited!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 20, 2014 at 5:20 pm

My husband wants to live in Utah so bad! It looks so beautiful there – what a wonderful night!

Sarah May 20, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Love mountains and beach. I need both. I also love camping. I’m watching to bachelorette right now, it’s completely ridiculous.

Amanda May 20, 2014 at 5:28 pm

I hope your leg gets better for your marathon!

I’ll choose mountains every time! And those Utah mountains seem especially beautiful!
I went fishing once when I was 5, didn’t quite have the patience to wait for the fish lol
Love camping, I lived in a tent for a month once during college!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs May 20, 2014 at 5:28 pm

My husband & I watched the first episode last night just so that we could laugh at all of the awkwardness — is that mean? Oh well :)

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run May 20, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I’m a mountain girl through and through. I don’t ever want to leave them!
The first (and only time) I’ve been fishing was in Texas. Weird right? I did catch something but I made my friend get it off the hook for me. Haha freaked me out too!

Brianna @ I run He tris May 20, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Never been fishing?? I’ve been finishing too many times to count. I’d pick the beach! But I grew up at the beach which is why I’ve been fishing so much. I’ll be watching the Batchelorette for sure! I probably will miss a few but I need to watch my fellow Georgia girl!! Those strawberries look delicious!

Katie May 20, 2014 at 5:37 pm

My 4-year-old daughter tells everyone she wants to live in Utah because she loves the scenic pictures on your blog (especially the ones of the city with the mountains behind it) :)
I live in the East TN mountains, so I think I take mountains for granted. I think I’d love to live in CA where it’s warm and flat, but not humid like FL, but living in the only shoe box apartment we could afford there could dampen my idea. I think a Malibu beach house would be ideal, though :)

Scooby May 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm

That lake and those mountains are so gorgeous! I’ve loved every place with mountains I have been to and have considered moving. It’s only a matter of time. Hope that leg of yours gets better asap!

Jessica Winters May 20, 2014 at 5:50 pm
MILF Runner May 20, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I like living easy driving to beach AND mountains :)

I went fishing with my dad. There was a lake off his backyard. It was very cool. I also wouldn’t touch the fish. He had to de-hook it and toss it back for me.

Caroline May 20, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I was not so impressed with most of the guys on the bachelorette last night- ugh. I’ve been fishing lots of times growing up but I refuse to touch the fish because I hate them. haha.

Irina May 20, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Ugh I got sucked into The Bachelorette after watching The Bachelor last season for the first time in my life. How do I get un-hooked (no pun intended on your fishing trip ;) )??

Katie May 20, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Looks like someone was on a date… ;) Sounds like you had a great night!

Lizzie May 20, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Hot dang, girlfriend! Looks like you had a hot date! =) Soooo happy for you. Hope we get introduced to him soon =) Does he have any nice friends for me?? =D

Katie @ Bevo Loves an Aggie May 20, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I love the Bachelorette/Bachelor…totally my guilty pleasure show. I like Andi much better than Juan Pablo though!

I’d definitely rather live at the beach. I’m a water person! I love to fish too. Camping is good when there are bathrooms. :)

Caroline May 20, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I always watch Bachelorette and Bachelor. It is a completely ridiculous show and it is a completely wonderfully entertaining show!! Like a train wreck you just can’t help but watch!!!

Lauren @ Will Run for Boston May 20, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I love the mountains and the beach! That would be a tough decision between the two but I think I’d go with mountains!

I’ve actually never been camping but would love to go sometime! I love the outdoors and camping seems like such a nice way to unplug and get away from it all!

Carson May 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I love the Bachelorette and am so excited about this season!

Beach for sure. I am headed there this weekend and cannot wait. I have already completely checked out of everything else.

Losing Lindy May 20, 2014 at 7:50 pm

hrmm..that looks like a date…and a good one.. :)

Kathee May 20, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I actually love fishing! Well, as long as there is a guide to do everything. Although I will now touch fish. It’s a process.

Lindsey C May 20, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Sending all the healing vibes I can to that leg of yours!! Still lots of recovery time and pool running :)

I don’t understand the Bachelor(ette) fascination, even my mother and father in law watch it! I don’t have enough hours in my day to waste on that.

I love the mountains, and could definetly live there, but right now we’re at the beach, which I totally love.

LOVE camping! Don’t do it often enough, because life is just so busy. But every year I go on FDCW (father daughter camping weekend!) with my dad and my sisters. We’ve been doing it since I was in diapers and I’m 38 now! It’s in a few weeks and I can’t wait!! It’s one of my favorite weekends of every year: me, my two older sisters and my dad, hiking, fishing, and sitting around a campfire drinking wine ;)

blackbird May 20, 2014 at 9:23 pm

I cannot bear to be without my Canadian Rocky Mountains. But the beach sure is nice in February when I wonder if winter will ever end.

Lucky for me I am a fish biologist, so I have fished some amazing places for work. Which is an incredible gift, though don’t get to do as much of that field work anymore. BUT my favourite was a fishing trip when I was 17 with my dad off the coast of Vancouver Island. I caught a king salmon that almost ripped my arms off (but in the end, I won…yummy).

Camping + the Canadian Rockies = Heaven On Earth. And even almost at 40 years, I still put the tent up in the backyard from time to time.

Acupuncture is awesome.

Sk May 20, 2014 at 9:27 pm

What a beautiful date!!! Im jealous!!! :-)

amy May 20, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I love acupuncture. I hope it helps u. It’s helped me so much.
Your date looked like fun!

Amy @ runlikeabird May 20, 2014 at 10:01 pm

My mom and I watch The Bachelorette/Bachelor together during our weekly dinners. :) It’s a guilty pleasure, and my fave is when Mom “accidentally” forgets not to watch it until I come over so the whole time she goes, “You’ll never BELIEVE what he does next!” She’s adorable.

Keep the faith concerning your marathon. You are strong, and doing what’s best for you right now. <3

Nicole paolone May 20, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I think I missed out on the frozen hot chocolate….recipe puh-lease!!!

Nicole@TheGirlWhoRanEverywhere May 21, 2014 at 3:31 am

Well if that isn’t just the most adorable date ever! Someone had to do a ton of prep work for that….I like it bc you totally deserve it!!!
The chocolate and strawberries sound like the perfect end!:)

I do like fishing! My husband and I go frequently!:)

Ashley C. May 21, 2014 at 3:39 am

Cutest date ever!!!!!

I would much rather live by the mountains. The rockies to be exact. I love the mountain west and hope to live there someday. Don’t get me wrong the beaches in South Carolina are gorgeous, but I love the mountains!

Being the Texas girl that I am, I’ve fished my entire life, lakes, rivers, ponds, and the ocean. LOVE IT.

Jenn@Mark My Miles! May 21, 2014 at 4:38 am

I am never invited on fishing trips anymore…as I release the fish back into the water after caught and we leave with nothing….

Not into the Bachelorette shows…rather spend my time doing anything else…

Melissa May 21, 2014 at 5:41 am

That looks the cutest date. so much fun!

I do get sucked into the Bachelorette/Bachelor… I don’t usually like the first episode though, I find it boring. I recorded it and will watch it at some point on the weekend I am sure.

Kelly in Canada May 21, 2014 at 5:50 am

Why choose when you can have both beach AND mountains?! Southwestern BC is awesome like that. That’s why we have things like the “Sea to Sky” highway, which goes from sea level in Vancouver up to the mountains in Whistler. Or I can just be at my house, which is at the base of a mountain, and a 40 min drive from the beach. :)

Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick May 21, 2014 at 6:02 am

I can’t believe you have never gone fishing before! Once you catch your first fish, which I see you’ve already done, then you will want to keep going back for more.

And yes, who is that helping you?

Kay May 21, 2014 at 6:38 am

Wow congrats on your first fish on your first fishing trip!!

Doni May 21, 2014 at 6:45 am

Hey Lady – just saw that a bunch of Kraft cottage cheese was recalled….given the recent discussions, thought I’d throw it out there — check your CC folks!

Looks likemyou had a really amazing day. Can’t wait to hear what you think about the acupuncture. It seemed to really help my MIL’s foot.

Ali May 21, 2014 at 6:58 am

As an acupuncturist, I hope that acupuncture works for you! It’s done wonders for me and running, so hopefully it will for you too.

karla @ finding my fit May 21, 2014 at 7:07 am

Looks like a date if you ask me ;) How cute too!
I always thought I was a beach gal until I saw and stayed in the mountains in Colorado. So beautiful and amazing.
I used to watch the bachelor/ette but can’t stand it anymore…

Kari @ Running Ricig May 21, 2014 at 7:19 am

I’ve tried acupuncture a few times, but I’m not sure how much it helped. It can’t hurt, though, right?

Lilly May 21, 2014 at 7:35 am

looks like a fun date! lol @ the lemonade ;)

Leslie @ Life Begins @ 30? May 21, 2014 at 7:43 am

Super cute date idea!! I love camping, but the fiance is not a fan. We can both agree on the beach though!! We are heading to Puerto Rico this fall for our honeymo0n. Best of both worlds-beach and rain forest hiking!

Amy @ fitnessmeetsfrosting May 21, 2014 at 8:14 am

I’ve been fishing in Colorado once. I’m like you though, the fish freaked me out and after I caught it I was like, “Uhhhh…now what do I do? Get it away from me!” ;) I also love camping but only for a couple of nights and a real toilet needs to be there because I can’t handle doing it in the woods.

Jill May 21, 2014 at 8:48 am

I have been following you forever…met you twice at races but I’m laughing because we are both training for Utah Valley and BOTH of us got injured about the same time. My husband keeps telling me to do acupuncture…and then I see your post. SO, just wondering if you would recommend the doctor you went to and who it was. I live in Lehi. I’ve just never gone to anyone and would love to hear your thoughts. THANKS and I hope you get healed super quick!

The Hungry Runner Girl May 21, 2014 at 9:29 am

Email me!!! So sorry about your injury!!!!!

Jody May 21, 2014 at 9:09 am

I’ve got the beset of both worlds! about 45 miles from the entrance to Mt. Rainier and not very far from the beaches either. :-) I’ll take either one as long as it gets me outside.

janetha May 21, 2014 at 9:54 am

ahhh how fun!! i am so excited about summmmmer

Kristen May 21, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Beach!!! But I actually live between the beach and the mountains so I’m only about a half hour drive to either. NH for the win!

Lindsay May 21, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I definitely wouldn’t consider myself a camping kind of person — I really like running water :-) I do love eating food made on a campfire though! I’m also not much of a fishing person but know a ton of people enjoy it!

I hope your quad heals up in time for the marathon! I admire your positive attitude throughout this!

Runwright May 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Love how that DATE looks. Nighttime, chocolate fondue, strawberries, mountain fishing, kebabs. And the shadowy picture of his back is nice and mysterious. Hope you had a great time.
I watch the Bachelor and wrote about the last bachelor, Juan Pablo here http://runwright.net/2014/03/01/should-we-demand-more-real-life-in-our-reality-tv-shows/ which got picked up for an online article that you can read here, http://highbrowmagazine.com/3874-reality-behind-reality-tv
Forgive the plug but I thought Bachelor fans might enjoy reading.

JC May 21, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Never been fishing? Seriously? That astounds me.

myranda May 21, 2014 at 4:37 pm

mountains + rivers! i work as a whitewater raft guide and am lucky enough to work/live 1.5 miles from the Appalachian trail in the summer — you better believe this is the best combo for running/happiness/relaxation!
fishing — yes, since i was just a little kid — take brooke!
camping — yes, but i agree about the 2-3 days max.

Christina May 21, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Super cute date night!!!!
I live by beach which I love watching sea lions swim and jump and love dolphins it’s so therapeutic just being at the beach. That said I love going to Lake Tahoe in the summer!

Sarah May 22, 2014 at 5:50 am

Hi Janae–I’ve read your blog for a couple of months now and I love it! You are an amazing athlete and give a lot of great running advice (and Brooke is adorable).

I’ve been sidelined from running indefinitely (and for the past year) due to a back injury and have tried everything to get back to running/half marathons, etc–many rounds of PT, only swimming, Chiropractors, steroid injections…so I feel you about not knowing how to treat your injury! Anddd not running makes me crabby. :).

I’m thinking the next step is acupuncture. Have you found that it helps?

Peachylau May 26, 2014 at 12:57 am

Acupuncture really helped my shin splint, I hope it will help you too