My next 1/2 marathon and no dairy for a little while.

April 18, 2014

My next race is just 2 weeks away.  I love the half marathon distance and so I am really looking forward to this one.  The Provo City Half Marathon (they have a great 5k too!) is one of my all-time favorites.  The last time I ran this race I was 6 months pregnant and I loved everything about it.  The busses were on time, everything was really organized and the weather at this time of year is awesome!

The race starts at South Fork and then runs through Provo Canyon (aka my favorite place to run) and finishes in downtown Provo.  It is a fast course and at the end they have amazing french toast (yes, one of the main reasons I love doing this race).  COME DO IT WITH ME.  Brooke will be along the course cheering everyone on.

Screen Shot 2014 04 17 at 10 37 52 AM

Speaking of races…  GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AT BOSTON ON MONDAY!! Brooke and I will be watching on tv from home and cheering you on.  Also, good luck to all of you Salt Lake City racers tomorrow.  The SLC Marathon was my first one ever!

PS I LOVED this article about what the elites do for their last hard workout before the marathon!

Screen Shot 2014 04 17 at 10 04 38 PM

————————

I am having the hardest time getting up early to run lately (even though I have been going to bed crazy early?!?) so my sweetest mom played with the Brookers so I could go out in the sunshine and run an easy 7 miles.  Just me, the running trail and Regina Spektor (her songs speak to my soul).

Coming back to this girl.  The best.

I was able to eat a salad for the first time in weeks (if you missed it a few posts back, I have giardia) without feeling sick afterwards.  My doctor said to steer clear of dairy for awhile because of the giardia and I have been and it has been helping so much.  I miss you ice cream and I will make up for lost time in a few weeks.

Turkey and cranberry salad with poppyseed dressing, you were delightful.

Brooke has two things that she is currently obsessed with.

1.  This baby doll.  She wants to take it everywhere and she is constantly hugging it and trying to feed the baby whatever she is eating (ps I am not asleep in the picture, just mid-sentence and mid-blinking).

2.  Her new backpack.  She sees her cousins wearing them all of the time and so I finally got her one of her own.  It will be interesting to see what she puts into this backpack of hers.  She was very mad at me for having her take it off to go to bed last night.

And of course my night ended at a candy store.  I am always overwhelmed in this particular store because there are just too many good choices.

——————————————————————-

Anyone reading have to avoid dairy?  How long have you had to do this?

WHO IS RUNNING BOSTON ON MONDAY!?!  Any other races this weekend?

Favorite race distance?

-Honestly… the HALF MARATHON.

5 words or less for why you are excited for this weekend!!!

-Easter egg hunts.

Karien @ Running the Race April 18, 2014 at 5:07 am

Love the pic of you and B cuddling :) . Precious times.

Colleen April 18, 2014 at 5:10 am

So sorry about the giardia. Hopefully that salad is a sign that you are retuning back to normal. I don’t eat dairy due severe lactose issues, but I can only imagine how hard it is for you to stay away from it. Half marathon is also my favorite distance.

Kris @ Canadian Girl Runs April 18, 2014 at 5:11 am

Visiting my grandparents!

Happy Easter :)

Allee at Griselda Mood April 18, 2014 at 5:11 am

No ice cream?! Girl, that is rough! :-x Hope you feel better soon!

Susan April 18, 2014 at 5:19 am

Hope your tummy feels better soon! Never fun dealing with that.
Why I am excited for this weekend: trip to Mexico!

Loribeth April 18, 2014 at 5:20 am

Thankfully I do not have to avoid dairy……….I love my chocolate milk! My sister just got back from Rexburg and said she loves the chocolate potato milk……..yeah, I never had the guts to try that when I was there!!

Not running Boston………I am nowhere near fast enough, but I will be watching!

My favorite distance is the half marathon………easy to train for and not too taxing on your body, but still super impressive to brag about!

This weekend is bittersweet because some of our penguins (the young ones we hatched over the past few years) are moving to another facility. This is done so they can breed with other birds and the population stays healthy genetically. Boohoo! I will miss them! Hard not to get attached. We will still have around 20 though, and hopefully they will have chicks this summer. So i guess to cope my 5 words are: Run, eat sugar, run more.

The Hungry Runner Girl April 18, 2014 at 6:36 am

Oh Loribeth, I am truly so so sorry about your penguins. I can’t imagine how hard that must be. Our coping mechanisms sound a lot alike:) Good luck.

Loribeth April 18, 2014 at 10:09 am

Thanks!

Caterina April 18, 2014 at 5:24 am

I am vegan so I don’t eat dairy at all. But I have good news for you. There is some vegan ice cream made with coconut milk that is pretty tasty. I found a good one at trader joe’s, you should try it out! Also, if you freeze very ripe bananas (cut them into pieces and put the pieces in a ziplog bag for a few hours) you can make a nice ice-cream out of them just by throwing them in a blender with some cocoa powder and peanut butter. Try! It’s unbelievable how the texture resembles the one of real ice-cream!
I also love half marathons, training for the Brooklyn Half in a month

The Hungry Runner Girl April 18, 2014 at 6:34 am

Thank you so much Caterina.. you are saving me. I am going to TJ’s today so I will have to get that ice cream and the frozen banana/cocoa/pb mix sounds incredible. Good luck in your half next month!!!!

Kristen April 18, 2014 at 7:17 am

That ice cream is the best. I leave out the pb and add in protein powder and a tiny bit of almond milk for the perfect post lifting snack.

Runner Girl Eats April 18, 2014 at 5:24 am

I love the half marathon distance it’s long enough to be an endurance challenge but not so long that the training consumes my life. This weekend I’m excited for my parents, beach and chocolate :)

Kristina @ Fast and Foodiest April 18, 2014 at 5:29 am

Yes to BOSTON! I’m not sure what my favorite distance is, they all hurt at some point. LOL.

Bethany April 18, 2014 at 9:04 am

Good luck at Boston!

Nicole April 18, 2014 at 3:06 pm

YAY!! Good luck!! :) :)

Amanda April 19, 2014 at 5:24 am

Me too-Boston!! Good luck!

Blaire @ Just Been Running April 18, 2014 at 5:30 am

OH gosh I am so sorry you have to avoid dairy, it is my absolute favorite. I love milk so much and of course ice cream :) I hope you feel better soon!!

I can’t wait to watch Boston on Monday! One of my coworkers is from there and one of my other coworkers runs marathons so we will definitely have it on at work!

My favorite race distance so far is definitely the half marathon. Granted, I haven’t done a full marathon yet, but I really really love the half. I think it is the perfect distance and you feel exhausted and amazing at the same time afterwards instead of dead after a marathon…at least that’s what I’ve heard ;)

Leigha @ Minougirl April 18, 2014 at 5:33 am

I’ve never had a dairy intolerance but just last night before bed I drank a glass of milk and my tummy was not happy! So weird!

So excited for Boston!! Not running, but watching. Someday I’ll be there to run it!:)

I like the 10k. Not too long, but not a sprint like the 5k!

Sally @ sweat out the small stuff April 18, 2014 at 5:35 am

I love half marathon distance!
Excited to see my friend this weekend. She moved an hour away last summer so we don’t get to see each other that much.
I will be watching and tracking from the tv and computer on Monday. Lots of friends are running!!
Hope the giardia is gone soon. That is literally a pain in the arse. :(

christina (sisters running the kitchen) April 18, 2014 at 5:38 am

favorite race distance is the half marathon which is kinda funny bc ive done more fulls than half marathons haha.

im excited for this weekend bc im meeting my bf who i dont get to see much in baltimroe for the weekend. i went to college there and i absolute love love love visiting baltimore. we have a fun easter weekend planned!

Brittnee @ Nebraska Running Girl April 18, 2014 at 5:45 am

Why I’m excited for the weekend… shopping (today), running (tomorrow), FOOD and family (Sunday) :)

Good luck in your upcoming half! I have to say the 13.1 is my favorite distance too!

anonymous April 18, 2014 at 5:46 am

have you ever tried a Easter egg hunt blindfolded? probably the funniest thing! you should try it!(:

The Hungry Runner Girl April 18, 2014 at 6:33 am

That sounds like a blast!!! I am going to have to try it. Have an awesome weekend!

Catie B April 18, 2014 at 5:47 am

I know you’re going to rock your half!!!
My favorite distances are the 10k and half marathons :)
Happy Friday!!

Nikki @ grab your kicks April 18, 2014 at 5:48 am

I love the 10k. Long enough to train for, short enough to not train too hard for. I’m looking forward to the Bellin in June which will have over 20,000 runners participating! Happy Easter!

Anne @ CandyCrazedrun.wordpress.com April 18, 2014 at 5:49 am

Easter Candy, Easter Candy, Easter Candy! (Whoops that’s 6!)

I agree, half marathons are simply the best, long enough to not be in gasping pain the entire time, but short enough to be able to push!

Flower April 18, 2014 at 5:52 am

If I have too much dairy my alleries get out of control.

My favorite race distance is the half marathon too! I try to run 6 or 7 a year.

Why I’m excited for the weekend: THE BEACH!

Caroline April 18, 2014 at 5:59 am

I’m lactose intolerant- I’ll eat frozen yogurt every once in awhile (of course while taking lactose pills), but I only eat real ice cream 1-2 times a year. I miss it.
I really love the half marathon as well!

Julie @ Coastal Runner Girl April 18, 2014 at 6:02 am

I agree, half marathons are the best! I can’t believe you ran one while 6 months pregnant!? That’s awesome. :)

I’m excited for…. lots of Easter candy!

Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne April 18, 2014 at 6:05 am

I’m sorry that you can’t eat dairy right now, but at least it’s not forever!! I’ve been dairy-less for 5 years now (lactose intolerant). Hmmm favorite race distance…..I would have to to agree, half marathons are the best!! There is nothing like that runner’s high after a half marathon!! 5 words or less: baking, skateboarding, dying hair, family!!

Kelly in Canada April 18, 2014 at 6:14 am

I have to avoid dairy always, but sometimes I give in for cheesy pizza or ice cream. I had pizza last night, so am now in a lot of pain as a result. It was also the gluten though…pizza is pretty much the worst…but it tastes so good!

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} April 18, 2014 at 6:18 am

Brooke looks so much like Curly! I thought to myself, why is she telling us about the doll with curly and then I had to take a double look because it was Brooke! I have not been able to eat dairy for about 5 years, I have pretty high intolerance! I love the 1/2 as well!

Meg @ Mommy Don't Play April 18, 2014 at 6:18 am

We have that baby doll! She takes that baby EVERYWHERE we go! My little girl, who is a few months younger than Brooke; LOVES pushing it in the stroller, and putting it down for bed in its little crib. I love this age!

Nicole@TheGirlWhoRanEverywhere April 18, 2014 at 6:21 am

The half is my very favorite distance
Too!!:)
I AM DOING BOSTON!!!
Things I’m excited about this weekend: the expo,
Marathon parties, and time with my
Friends!:)

Nicole April 18, 2014 at 3:07 pm

GOOD LUCK ON MONDAY!!

Nicole@thegirlwhoraneverywhere April 18, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Thank you so much!!!!!

Ashley C. April 18, 2014 at 6:21 am

That giardia can hang around for a while. So sorry! The only time I ever avoided dairy was for a 10 day cleanse. That was awful. However, the circumstance clearly are different. Hang in there! Hope that nasty bug finds its way out quick!

Michele @ paleorunningmomma April 18, 2014 at 6:23 am

First, you and Brooke are both ridiculously adorable :)

Second, I avoid dairy all the time now because it seems to bother my stomach plus give me hives. But, when my son was 3 months old I was an ice cream regular and had to avoid it due to his doctor suspecting allergy (I was nursing) and I had such a hard time with it for about the first week, but after a month I didn’t miss it and wound up not ever going back to it as a staple.

Steph D April 18, 2014 at 6:24 am

I’m running the BAA 5k tomorrow! It’s going to be a veerrrry early morning, since I live 2+ hours away and am too poor to stay in a hotel the night before, but it will be worth it to experience the atmosphere in Boston this weekend. Favorite distance: 10k to half marathon.

lauren@golaurengo April 18, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I’m running the BAA 5k too! Good luck to you!

Leanne April 18, 2014 at 6:25 am

I had a stomach bug three weeks ago and it took two weeks for me to have dairy again. I just wasn’t hungry for it.

I had an off running week. So, trying to get myself back to normal (normal with a labral tear) and am so excited to run Monday while watching the Boston Marathon!

I am looking forward to seeing my daughter in her beautiful Easter dress on Sunday and having some warmer weather! Happy early Easter!

Sharon April 18, 2014 at 6:25 am

Sorry to hear about the giardia.

My favorite race distance is the 10k.

Easter egg hunt and candy!

Lynzie April 18, 2014 at 6:31 am

I love the half marathon distance it’s my favorite! Honestly the 10k and 5k distance scares me! You have to go so fast and then it’s over!

DontBlameTheKids April 18, 2014 at 6:37 am

That picture where you are blinking? I thought it was your sister when I saw it! You two look so much alike!

Why I am excited for the weekend: My first 5k!

Becky@TheSavedRunner April 18, 2014 at 6:38 am

I have been mostly avoiding dairy because I have learned that my body doesn’t do well when I have too much of it. I do still have ice cream on occasion though. :) And the half marathon is for sure my favorite race too!

Hollie April 18, 2014 at 6:40 am

I’m happy you are starting to feel better. That makes me so happy for you. I hope you PR at your half coming up. That would be awesome and you deserve it.

Suzanne April 18, 2014 at 6:40 am

I am lactose intolerant, so I am mostly dairy free. If you are missing cereal, I definitely recommend vanilla almond milk. It doesn’t taste anything like milk, IMO, but it makes cereal extra yummy. My fave combo is Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds and the vanilla almond milk.

I’ve noticed in this pregnancy that my lactose intolerance has (I’m sure temporarily) gone away. So my husband and I have been sharing this amazing Yuengling Black & Tan ice cream. I think it’s just a Philly area thing, unfortunately, but this flavor is a swirl of chocolate plus a swirl of salted caramel and it’s AMAZING.
Sorry…had to share!

Shauna April 18, 2014 at 6:41 am

The half is my favorite distance, too!! I’m working on getting my running confidence back so hopefully I’ll be throwing up a PR this season. I’m super pumped to see so many olympians at Boston this year – gonna be intense! Love the passion!

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run April 18, 2014 at 6:42 am

The half is my favorite too :) I wish I could run the Provo half! I’m just not in half shape right now. I’m hoping to be back to normal by the fall so I can do a couple of halfs then!

Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete April 18, 2014 at 6:47 am

I always love what elites have to say about their training and racing techniques and inspiration. They make it look so easy; it’s humbling to be reminded that they’re human, too.

I had to avoid dairy for a few years. From what I understand, I became lactose-intolerant for a while, and then it went away. Apparently this can happen at any time!

I still don’t have a favorite distance. Isn’t that odd? I did run my first 8K last year, and that was a frickin’ blast! “Why am I still running…?”

This weekend: COSTCO, RUNNING, EASTER HAM, FAMILY.

Karin April 18, 2014 at 6:47 am

I had to give up dairy, wheat and anything spicy for 2 weeks when I was nursing my daughter because her pediatrician suspected an allergy. It was so hard, everything had dairy or wheat!
My favorite distance is also the half. Just enough to push myself, but not consume my life with training.

Greta @ fueledbyfresh April 18, 2014 at 6:52 am

I’ve always had a hard time with dairy and had to cut it out completely when I was breastfeeding my son because he was having troubles with it too. Now I am strictly coconut milk, maybe some almond milk every once in a while! I am SO excited for Easter! Watching my B hunt eggs will be a blast this year because he’s older and will get a kick out of it! Happy Hunting!

Katie April 18, 2014 at 6:55 am

Is it just me or is Brooke starting to look like Curly?! ADORABLE!

Mary Beth April 18, 2014 at 6:57 am

My sister-in-law has a dairy allergy so we’ve all gotten comfortable with less dairy over the years. I second the vanilla almond milk for cereal and the coconut milk ice cream, they are amazing! I also love chocolate coconut milk, it can be hard to find but usually I see it in the boxed milk/health food section of our grocery store. I hope you feel better soon!

Natalie B April 18, 2014 at 7:17 am

I love milk. I’m very grateful I don’t have to avoid it. I hope you can get your froyo fix soon!

10k is my absolute favorite race distance.

I get to see family!

Stephanie April 18, 2014 at 7:19 am

My husband has to avoid dairy and it can be tough sometimes, esp at restaurants because you never know if they’ve added cream or milk to something. Also, a lot of bread has milk in it, which you would never think! They do make soy and almond milk-based ice cream if you are desperate!

Kristen April 18, 2014 at 7:19 am

I’m so excited for an Easter Sunday with just my little family. Letting Girlie eat candy for breakfast then run around outside in grubby clothes. Ahh.
I’m also looking forward to a girls’ night out. We’re hitting a bar for a couple drinks before going for Fro-yo. Thus there will be no inhibitions when it comes to toppings and serving sizes:-)

tam April 18, 2014 at 7:22 am

I’m running Boston on Monday! Am still healing from a foot injury, so definitely headed into the unknown :) Lots of eating plans, including a peanut butter cannoli at Mike’s Pastry.

Kris April 18, 2014 at 7:26 am

I’m running Boston on Monday! Getting excited:)

Sarah April 18, 2014 at 7:29 am

I’m running the Salt Lake Half tomorrow. It’s only my second ever half marathon but I think it’s my favorite distance – not too crazy time commitment but still an endurance race.

Mary (Sisters Running the Kitchen) April 18, 2014 at 7:38 am

favorite race distance: the marathon
thing i am looking forward to the most this weekend: good food and family!

Sippi April 18, 2014 at 7:46 am

If you haven’t gone to Trader Joes yet: the best, most amazing non-dairy ice cream is from Trader Joes: Soy Creamy Cherry Chocolate Chip!
Half marathon is my favorite distance too. I like that it feels like an effort but you still feel great when you are done. Last Memorial Day I ran my favorite race: Bay Shore Half Marathon in Traverse City Michigan. The race is point to point, all along the bay and all flat. Also, you get to cheer on the marathon runners coming from the other direction while you are running which made it just fly by.

Liana@RunToMunch April 18, 2014 at 7:54 am

My new favorite distance is 10 milers, but i guess for racing, I would say marathons! They’re just so unpredictable and so much can happen!

Rachel April 18, 2014 at 8:21 am

You look just like your sister in that last picture. I actually had to do a double take! Regina speaks to my soul also. These lyrics got me through the hardest time of my life post breakup:

“No, this is how it works
You peer inside yourself
You take the things you like
And try to love the things you took
And then you take that love you made
And stick it into some
Someone else’s heart
Pumping someone else’s blood
And walking arm in arm
You hope it don’t get harmed
But even if it does
You’ll just do it all again”

It still kind of makes me tear up. Have a beautiful Friday

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 18, 2014 at 8:35 am

That candy store looks like heaven on Earth. And my excitement for this weekend can be described as: The Return of Meatheads. Best burgers and I gave them up for Lent. But come Sunday they will be all mine!!!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life April 18, 2014 at 8:45 am

I avoid dairy on a regular basis. I’m not able to digest it well and my iron defficiency complicates it. Agree with you on the half marathon. I’m excited for chocolate covered sunflower seeds this weekend. From TJ’s of course.

Molly April 18, 2014 at 8:46 am

I avoid dairy because I’m vegan! There are SO many delicious ice cream alternatives made from soy, coconut, or almond milk! The brand SoDelicious makes some really tasty flavors if you’re craving ice cream! I’m excited for this weekend because my brother is flying in from Ohio to watch me run the Boston Marathon!!

Abi@AbsofSteel April 18, 2014 at 8:47 am

ooh that sucks about the giardia, my sister got that once after a out of the country trip and it was no fun. I’m also trying to cut back on dairy but that’s because I think I might have a bit of a lactose intolerance. I refuse to give it up completely though.

MartinaNYC April 18, 2014 at 8:52 am

Going to Boston to cheer on my teammates! SO EXCITING!

Cheri @ Overactive Blogger April 18, 2014 at 9:04 am

I have a little bit of lactose intolerance, and I tend to avoid dairy and alcohol (bad combo anyways if you ask me :) ) in the week or so before a race. I started adopting this practice after I threw up at mile 18 of a full marathon, and it’s really helped a lot :)

Bethany April 18, 2014 at 9:06 am

I’m running Boston for Dana Farber Cancer Center! I can’t wait. I’m also volunteering at the Expo Sat morning.

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change April 18, 2014 at 9:08 am

I’ve been avoiding dairy off and on for a while, but this month I completely cut it out…and I’m doing just fine! Honestly, I don’t really miss it that much because I know how much trouble it gives me after I eat it. My mom is lactose intolerant, and I think I’m getting more and more sensitive as I get older. Its a good thing I worked at Cold Stone before it got worse – got all of the ice cream cravings of my life out in 3+ years!

Bree April 18, 2014 at 9:12 am

Oh my gosh they have lots of different flavors of Pocky at that candy store!! I haven’t got to have it since leaving China and I love it! I even see green tea pocky, awesome!

Funfitgirl April 18, 2014 at 9:14 am

I haven’t had dairy in over 5 years and still miss ice cream. I feel your pain.

I LOVE half marathons too – just the right distance: far enough to test your toughest but not so far that your toe nails get gross.

Sunshine, hiking and puppies :)

Sarah April 18, 2014 at 9:18 am

I love that you’ve been writing more about running lately! You inspired me to start running, and I always look to your posts for info and inspiration.

Brooke is getting just too cute. I remember when I was her age, I wanted a backpack more than ANYTHING! My four older siblings had them for school, and I wanted to be just like them. Sounds like Brooke is the same way! She is such a lucky little girl to be part of an incredibly supportive family.

Have a good Easter weekend!

Kay April 18, 2014 at 9:34 am

Oof, sorry about cutting out the dairy, but I’m glad that it is helping you feel better!

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona April 18, 2014 at 9:59 am

That candy store looks pretty great, so many things to pick from!

I’m hoping you’re feeling better soon.

Ashley @ Brocblog April 18, 2014 at 10:13 am

I really like the 10k but I havent done it in ages. Ive also never tried 15k but I think Id like it a lot.

Christina April 18, 2014 at 10:20 am

I love the half my fave! Although I’ve never ran a full yet.
Disneyland for Easter!!!

Christina April 18, 2014 at 10:22 am

Forgot to say I love almond milk! My kids think their drinking chocolate milk when they drink the vanilla…lol…go figure.

tess April 18, 2014 at 10:24 am

No cheese here. Migraines. And I really want that banana ice cream thing but I can’t have the chocolate. Serious bumming. I’m going to do a search. It sounds so good.

This is our first Easter with everyone gone. My son is just returning from a deployment and my husband went to meet him so I only have my son home with me and at seventeen, not really into Easter bunnies. I guess I could force it. That would make for some awesome photos. ;) Next year I’m definitely requesting some time with the grandson for Easter weekend. Who knew you had to do it early?

Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine April 18, 2014 at 10:26 am

My favorite distance is also the half marathon! I feel like I could do a half without really training, and I don’t need as much time to recover.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 18, 2014 at 10:37 am

That salad looks soooooo good!

When I was a kid, I had to stop eating dairy for about 6 months because the doctor thought I might be allergic. It was awful, because while my siblings were enjoying ice cream on hot summer days, I couldn’t have any :( And there weren’t nearly as many good tasting substitutes as there are now!

Sarah April 18, 2014 at 10:45 am

I have ulcerative colitis and dairy is one of my “flare foods”…I’ve cut dairy completely, which is harder than one might think since dairy is in EVERYTHING. Eating at restaurants is nearly impossible. Fortunately, I have found coconut milk ice cream so I can still indulge :)

Sara April 18, 2014 at 11:04 am

I have been having a rough day, so I decided to make your s’more bars. Holy cow, these things are amazing! THANK YOU!!!

The Hungry Runner Girl April 18, 2014 at 11:36 am

I am so glad you love them! I hope your day gets better!

meg April 18, 2014 at 11:15 am

Yes, I have to avoid dairy a lot because I am lactose intolerant.

Try sorbet or soy ice cream in the meantime; hope your stomach issues are fixed soon!

Jen H April 18, 2014 at 11:39 am

Sooooo glad you figured out what was going on with your stomach. Hopefully it will be back to normal quickly now that you know what’s going on and can treat it accordingly.

I eat dairy but not a ton. Can’t pass up a good ice cream cone in the summer!

No Boston! I’d never be fast enough for that! Favorite distance…..I’m just hoping to get back to running soon. Visited the sports chiropractor and his partner–amazing! I’m hoping to be back to running health soon! They are really looking into the root of my injury not just trying to fix my pain and send me on my way. Turns out all my achilles problems could be from tightness elsewhere. Feeling hopeful that I’m on the road to recovery for good this time.

Easter weekend = time with family and chocolates!!!!! Happy Easter!

Kathy Helmond April 18, 2014 at 11:53 am

I love (hate) running! Ha! I love it really, just wish it came easier to me. But I suppose if it did it wouldn’t be as rewarding. Training for a half marathon in June. Glad you’re feeling better.

Marissa @ Run Riss Run April 18, 2014 at 11:55 am

I have IBS so I do better when I avoid dairy. I love ice cream though…

I love the 1/2 marathon too.

Looking forward to this weekend: taco truck and Easter eggs!

MILF Runner April 18, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Dairy-free since ’07. Cocobliss ice cream. The Answer.

Kelly April 18, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I am still on the fence about running the Provo half. I love a good downhill canyon race, but then I’m mildly depressed afterwards when I resume running on normal roads again! Things are very emotional when my next hill work out is scheduled :)

Heather April 18, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I need to go to that candy store! Is that the one in AF? We need a candy night date there I think… And kneaders again… ;)

Amanda April 18, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I have to avoid dairy mostly because of the way it makes me feel. I’ve never been much of a milk drinker so I think my body has become even more intolerant of it.

I’m still trying to figure out what my favorite distance is. I like them all for different reasons! I’m actually running my first marathon TOMORROW! I’m so excited. Maybe that will end up being my favorite distance? :)

Happy you are starting to feel better! Have a great weekend.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 18, 2014 at 1:00 pm

You should definitely check out So Delicious coconut milk ice cream for the next couple of weeks…it is fabulous!

Jennifer April 18, 2014 at 1:26 pm

My favorite race distance is a half marathon. To be fair, I have only run a half marathon and 5k distance race. Last night I won a free entry into a 10k!

I can’t wait to see Sophia, my 2 year old, in her Easter Dress!

Happy Easter!

Beky April 18, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I miss dairy… I’m not avoiding it, its just hard to find good dairy products in china. They don’t know the magic of greek yoghurt and ice cream here.

I like to a 7 mile tempo run before a half-marathon, and I really like to think about all the miles I’ve put into training so far.

Christina@LiveDreamRun April 18, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I had to part ways with cow’s milk a few months ago after developing a sensitivity to it (or maybe it was the hormones often found in it). I drink almond milk now, which is awesome, but my tea just isn’t the same now.

That is so cute…she’s preparing for school days early. :-)

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner April 18, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I avoid dairy because of the paleo lifestyle. Can’t wait to run my half marathon! Nice candy store!

Leah @ goodnightcheese April 18, 2014 at 4:52 pm

This weekend: naps and a good book.

Can’t wait

Blair April 18, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I am running my first Boston on Monday! AHHHH!!

Becky @ Ok, so here's the plan April 18, 2014 at 5:50 pm

The half marathon is definitely my favorite distance so far (I haven’t run a full yet).

5 words or less: First group run in years.

Cyanne (RunStretchGo) April 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I haven’t eaten dairy in about 7 years (or at least not on purpose), except for Greek Yogurt, and the occasional sheep or goal cheese. Cow dairy and I are not friends.

5 words: Home with no plans

Losing Lindy April 18, 2014 at 7:07 pm

We are doing the Egg Shell Shuffle, with an Egg hunt afterwards for the kids and then for the adults

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 18, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Aww that is such a sweet picture of you and Brooke! Good luck with cutting out dairy – hope it works well and makes you feel better!

Jill April 18, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I became lactose intolerant in middle school so it’s been about 20 years since I’ve had any dairy!! Yep that’s right, no pizza, ice cream, yogurt, milk, cheese, butter etc!! To tell you the truth I don’t even remember what any of that stuff tastes like anymore!

Tantra April 18, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I WISH I was running Boston on Monday, maybe in 2016…. however I am running a 5k and my last race before my half in two weeks as well.

My favorite race distance is the half as well… it WAS the 5k and as I’m getting odler I’m getting slower… I just don’t have the turn over… the half allows me to make mistakes and then redeem myself… ya know

Brady and Ella’s faces… (Brady is JUST understanding about the Easter Bunny and Ella gets excited when Brady’s excited lol)…

Livi April 18, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I am so sorry you’re sick!! Giardia is insane, and I’m glad you figured it out early!

Jennifer @ Little Blue Sneakers April 18, 2014 at 7:45 pm

My favorite race distance is the 10k! I haven’t done one in a long time though. Long enough to be challenging but not so long that you get bored (I get bored by about 10 miles, ha).

Why I’m excited for the weekend: Kids don’t have school Monday!

Kelly April 18, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I just did a half last weekend and am dying for another asap!

autismmum April 19, 2014 at 12:25 am

My first half-marathon in 3 weeks! I’m excited.
No dairy – good idea in the short term but I’ve been learning in anatomy about how important calcium is for your body functioning. I’m glad its just short-term while you get over the dreaded Giardia.

CarolineRose April 19, 2014 at 2:11 am

Brooke looks adorable, my daughter has the same baby doll, she loves it and has named it sunshine, so adorable. I am lactose intolerant :( i love creamy pastas and cheese’s and cant eat it :(, so not too many easter eggs for me to eat boohoo

Have a very lovely Easter xo

Karen @karenlovestorun April 19, 2014 at 4:21 am

I am on spring break (life of a teacher…) and plan on having a Boston Marathon Monday on my couch…watching and cheering from home!
Five words or less for this weekend:

rest.relax.run.wedding stuff :)

Karen @karenlovestorun

Rebecca@RunningFoodBaby April 19, 2014 at 4:43 am

No dairy would be hard! Love my cheese and ice cream!

I have a dream to be at Boston one year but for now just watching live stream of the event is good enough :-)

Alexandra April 19, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Ah, I am lactose intolerant. We found out when I was 10 years old and I was devastated because my family owns an Italian pizzeria. That situation may have been a good one for Alanis Morrissette to fit into Ironic. As I got older, it’s been better but I have my on and off days.

Ann April 19, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Brooke looks so much like Curly in the photo with you and her doll!

This weekend: My baby boy’s first Easter!

Hope you feel 100% soon!

Amy @ runlikeabird April 20, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I’m a dairy-free girl and ALSO an ice cream lover. Obviously these two important components of my lifestyle are constantly at odds.

Enter: the joys and wonders of almond milk and coconut milk ice creams! Seriously TJ’s chocolate coconut ice cream is freaking amazing, and there’s a new one called “Dream” at Safeway made from almond milk that is rocking my ice cream lovin’ socks, too.

Good luck, Janae. DF is a pain, but it’s not impossible. :)

Kari @ Running Ricig April 21, 2014 at 4:42 am

I’ve been avoiding dairy for the past few months because my pregnant body apparently doesn’t like it. I’m hoping that goes away soon.

My weekend plans were to get everything ready for the baby and it looks like we’re actually “ready” now.

Monica April 21, 2014 at 5:18 am

I’m just now in the process of adding dairy back into my diet because of my daughter’s dairy allergy and nursing her. We found out when she was 2 months old, and she is 13 months now. It is so hard! I love cheese more than anything except my daughter. There are a lot of decent vegan substitutes, but it just isn’t the same. Good luck!

Nancy April 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I’ve always had issues with lactose, but have lately been trying to steer clear. Found some yummy vegan ice cream locally (Seattle) -soooooo good!

5k is my favorite, but getting set to train for my 2nd 1/2