That felt strange but really good.

December 24, 2013

It felt really strange to be running outside in only my favorite shirt/hoodie thing and a vest…  No coat.  I didn’t even have my garmin with me or three pairs of gloves like I have been sporting lately.

It was quite toasty out in comparison to what it has been like the last month.

One of my favorite things about my city is that they snow plow the running trail (it’s like 20 miles long) right after a storm.  The trail had less snow and ice than the roads.

I did an easy 61 minutes of running.  Lots of thoughts.  Lots of good music and no idea how far I went.

Before my run Brooke and I did a bunch of last minute errands and while we were at Target we decided that snow pants and a sled were a necessity for our Christmas Tradition #23.   Even though I have decided Brooke and I are going on a cruise to the Caribbean next December…  We will still find a way to go sledding.

We found the perfect hill and went for it with my sis and her family and Paige and her kiddos.

(From Instagram:  Hungryrunnergirl)

How I know that Brooke loved it —->  she wouldn’t get off the sled at the bottom of the hill because she wanted to keep going and going.   Now I just need to find a mile long hill for her.

My sis and her husband were cruising.

Brooke and her boyfriend in his one piece snow suit.

We like it here.

And sometimes I find myself eating tacos while sitting on the wood floor for dinner.

The rest of the night was spent with my dad as we assembled Brooke’s Christmas presents and watched Christmas movies.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVE!!!

jinxyjen December 24, 2013 at 5:05 am

I am so jealous of that plowed trail- how cool is that?!?

Tacos are my weakness. Big time. And honestly, I haven’t been sledding in forever…

I love that vest- north face?

Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 24, 2013 at 5:05 am

I love your traditions!! Sounds like your going to have a wonderful Christmas with your family and Brooke!! Merry Christmas!!

Sarah @pickyrunner December 24, 2013 at 5:10 am

Aw I love this! What a perfect tradition! Although the caribbean would be pretty nice too ;) Merry Christmas Eve, Janae!

Debbie @ Deb Runs December 24, 2013 at 5:12 am

There’s nothing like taking your little one sledding for the first time! You guys found an amazing hill, but it’s probably one you sledded on as a kid, too! We have an awesome hill in our back yard that the neighborhood kids love to sled on. One problem is that there’s a creek at the bottom so they have to be careful and stop in time!

Happy Christmas Eve to you, too!

Flower December 24, 2013 at 5:15 am

Merry Christmas Eve! That headband that Brooke is wearing at Target is adorable. Sledding looks like so much fun! Hope you have a wonderful day with your family.

Michele December 24, 2013 at 5:16 am

Super important question – do your feet get wet with the Uggs you wore sledding? Those are the ones I want, but I live in another snowy place (Buffalo, NY) and don’t want to waste my money on something I can’t wear!

Kathy December 24, 2013 at 5:16 am

What movie did you watch? We watched “It’s a Wonderful Life” last night and as with traditions…..I cried at the end. ;-) It is the only movie that makes me cry every year!!

We always watch a movie after church on Christmas Eve too….since its just us 5 we can do whatever we want….this year we are going to go to the theater and watch FROZEN again!!!! So excited…..

;-)

Lindsey December 24, 2013 at 5:22 am

This has to be your best Christmas tradition so far!! What a great day.

Emmeline @RunForThePizza December 24, 2013 at 5:25 am

Beautiful picture of the mountains! I wish I lived near a trail like that, it would make my long runs sooooo much better :)

Brooke’s headband is the BEST! Merry Christmas Eve to you both :)

Linda @ running4two December 24, 2013 at 5:29 am

Yay for sledding! Are her arms up in the air?? Too cute.

Merry Christmas Eve Janae!

K December 24, 2013 at 5:32 am

Those mountains look awesome!!, i wish I could go sledding! Merry Christmas Eve! Santa’s coming! Woohoo!

Amy December 24, 2013 at 5:34 am

Sledding is the ultimate Christmas activity. So glad you have snow to be able to do it. Brooke and her boyfriend are adorable little puff-balls :)

Sanaz @ runforcake December 24, 2013 at 5:35 am

Wow. What a fun activity. It looks so peaceful and serene. The picture of the sunset is stunning.
I can’t believe you ran with such little clothing on. Looks like you would be cold.
I can’t wait to see what you got Brooke for Christmas. We got my daughter a play kitchen and gave it to her early. I’m obsessed.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl December 24, 2013 at 5:41 am

Yay for an awesome run! I think I need to get outdoors today… too much treadmill running lately. Happy Christmas Eve to you and your family, Janae!!!

Jen@milesandblessings December 24, 2013 at 5:53 am

I really love your vest!!!!! Where you live is just beautiful and you and your sister are such great moms!!!! You do such a good job having fun with those kiddos! :)
Merry Christmas Eve!

Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes December 24, 2013 at 5:56 am

How fun!! Merry Christmas Eve janae!

karla @ finding my fit December 24, 2013 at 5:57 am

Being overly emotional that picture of you and Brooke sledding together brought me to tears! Despite everything you look so incredibly happy, which you deserve!

I’d love it there to with views like that. ExceptI really dislike snow. Have a wonderful holiday, Janae!

Mary@RunWalkLift December 24, 2013 at 6:00 am

That snow looks so fun. We’re going to drive to Idaho to find some snow. I got a pair of pureflows yesterday. Can’t wait to try them out.

Merry Christmas!

Shelley December 24, 2013 at 6:01 am

Merry Christmas Eve!!! Sledding looked so much fun I love to sled but finding the right hill around here is hard… One that don’t go in to a road fence trees or thorn bushes :)

Erica December 24, 2013 at 6:08 am

Merry Christmas Eve.
Thinking about you dear friend.
Give yourself permission to have a couple moments of a heavy heart if you need to. Brooke’s innocent excitement will pull you back to the happy place I know we’d rather be in.

michelle kim December 24, 2013 at 6:28 am

Awww how fun! Sledding is not only fun, it’s good exercise, since you gotta get up that hill some how ;)

Molly Rose December 24, 2013 at 6:31 am

That all just sounds perfect! I had no idea you wore a COAT when you run. Nuts.

Sledding looks so fun! I think I’ve only given that a go once, in my grandma’s backyard when I was little. So much fun things to do in the snow! Still my dream is to wake up to a White Christmas. Enjoy it :)

-Florida girl ;)

Liana@RunToMunch December 24, 2013 at 6:39 am

the snow plowing on running trail alone makes me want to quit Boston and more to Utah.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 24, 2013 at 6:49 am

I LOVE Brooke’s puffy snow outfit – so darn cute! And her knit headband… Man oh man, what a stylin’ little girl! Glad you guys got to go sledding – how fun. I can’t wait to go sledding with Hunter!

Merry Christmas Eve!

Diana December 24, 2013 at 6:53 am

Awww, that looked and sounded like so much fun! Merry Christmas Eve too you too!

Amy @ Long Drive Journey December 24, 2013 at 7:08 am

I’ve never been sledding! I guess it’s because when I was little, it never snowed. But now I should suck it up and go, even though I’m older. Looks like a blast!

Jenn December 24, 2013 at 7:13 am

Happy Christmas Eve!!

Megan December 24, 2013 at 7:20 am

Happy Christmas Eve! Glad you have Brooke for this holiday!

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick December 24, 2013 at 7:34 am

Happy Christmas Eve Janae!! Sledding looks like a blast!

amy December 24, 2013 at 7:37 am

So proud of you for running 61 mins and not 60. (I know how sometimes you like to stop at an even #)

Brooke looks so cute in her headwrap at target. I love that picture of you and Brooke on the sled. You just look so happy and who can resist a baby in a puppy hat :)

I guess I need to stop procrastinating and get my run in. I have 25+ people coming here for Christmas Eve dinner at 2:00.

Happy Christmas Eve to you too:)

Johanna December 24, 2013 at 7:42 am

Oh my word! Brooke is SO cute in that picture of her in the shopping cart! :) She looks just like my little nephew. :D

I can’t believe it’s already Christmas Eve! Time flies!

Rene December 24, 2013 at 7:44 am

You are hard core. It’s been 25 for my last few runs and I am frozen to the bone by the time I finish. Merry Christmas!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom December 24, 2013 at 7:47 am

My dad used to take us sledding all the time. I loved it until one year and then I took like 12 falls and told my dad I hated it and was moving away when I was old enough. That’s exactly what I did. Merry Christmas!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 24, 2013 at 8:01 am

I remember going sledding as a little kid ^^ Now I’ve traded in the sled for a snowboard, but the basic principle is the same.

I hope you and your family have the most Merry Christmas, Janae <3

Julia December 24, 2013 at 8:10 am

What a beautiful snowy run! Merry merry Christmas!

Xo, J

Jen@PregnantDiabetic December 24, 2013 at 8:22 am

My goodness, her headband. I love it!!!

Lina December 24, 2013 at 8:28 am

Brooke looks beyond adorable in that shopping cart, ohmg. And those mountains…I want to go to there….

What shoes do you wear when you run in the snow?

april December 24, 2013 at 8:28 am

running, target, sledding, and tacos… looks like the perfect winter day! =) merry christmas to you & brooke!!

Mallory December 24, 2013 at 8:44 am

You’re such a good mom, Janae. Merry Christmas to you and Brookster <3

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run December 24, 2013 at 8:48 am

I love sledding. So fun! Plus it’s a great workout going back up the hill over and over haha Merry Christmas Eve!!!

Tracy December 24, 2013 at 8:48 am

Merry Christmas !

Ganeeban December 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

I’m jealous of the sledding, that looks ridiculously fun!!

Leslie @ My Life Begins at 30? December 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

Your Christmas traditions are super cute and fun. I love that you are including so many others in your fun!

The plowed trail is amazing. They do a pretty good job of clearing ours off too. I’m however, a huge baby when it comes to cold so I just stick to the treadmill.

Merry Christmas Eve!

meghan December 24, 2013 at 9:29 am

merry Christmas eve to you too!!!! Have lots of fun!
And Brooke’s little hat is to DIE for!!!!! I love it! Where’d you get it?

Shaunna December 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

i am so jealous… i’ve always wanted to go sledding… but I live down south and it never snows!! lol merry christmas eve and have a great day!

Diane December 24, 2013 at 9:37 am

Merry Christmas Eve to you and yours! Love your blog and your wonderful spirit!

Lora @ Crazy Running Girl December 24, 2013 at 9:37 am

I’ve always wondered what it was like to run in a vest!! LOVE that headband on Brooke. Sledding looks like it was a blast! :)

Cathryn December 24, 2013 at 9:55 am

LOVE the sledding photo, perfect! I’m jealous of all the snow – it’s so dry and warm in the Bay Area that it doesn’t feel like Christmas really.

Merry Christmas Eve, Janae!

Sonia the mexigarian December 24, 2013 at 10:29 am

Looks like you are setting some pretty memorable Christmas traditions with Brooke :) Sledding. So cute! We don’t get snow here in SJ (maybe in the mountains once in a while) so we have to drive to Tahoe for sledding. Ah well.

Merry Christmas Eve to you and yours <3

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life December 24, 2013 at 10:44 am

So cute! That picture of you two on the sled is framing quality :) I ran outside in my neighborhood for the first time since August today (when I left for college) so that also felt strange but really good ;)

Kristina @ Blog About Running December 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Brooke in that doggy hat is seriously the cutest! Hope you guys have a great Christmas Eve :)

Miranda in Motion December 24, 2013 at 10:51 am

Merry Christmas! You look happy :)

Kellie @ Keeprunninkellie December 24, 2013 at 11:39 am

I think I definitely need to visit Utah sometime in my life just for the amazing views and running trails.

Leigha @ Minougirl December 24, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I want a plowed running trail!! Sledding is too fun.. I need to get out there this year. We have a private hill right behind my dads house! Merry Christmas Janae!!!

Miranda December 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm

In that last Picture, are you eating a chalupa supreme from taco bell?

Carson December 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm

What a beautiful setting you have for a gorgeous Christmas!

Runner Girl Eats December 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I have the same headband as Brooke…I’m so happy Brooke and I are now marchers :)

Losing Lindy December 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Are your socks smart wool? I love me some smart wool. I asked Santa to bring some #smartwool socks for V.

Megan @ Meg Go Run December 24, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Target two days before Christmas? You are brave! Merry Christmas!

Holly December 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE. How fun!! Wish we could go sledding..instead we decided to jump into the pool. Such a drastic difference in weather!
Enjoy your night- Brooke is going to be in awe when she wakes up & sees all of her presents.

Nicole@thegirlwhoraneverywhere.com December 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Merry Christmas, beauty! I hope you and Brookers have a Wonderful day!!!

Cait the Arty Runnerchick December 24, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas Eve, Janae!! :)
brrr…just reading about all of your outside runs as of late make me cold…i’ll take my wimpy CA winters and stop complaining about ever being cold! :P

Karen @karenlovestorun December 25, 2013 at 4:34 am

I haven’t been sledding in years! There is never enough snow and there aren’t really any good hills around here. Looks like everyone had a fun time.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas! I hope you and your family have a wonderful day :)

Karen @karenlovestorun

Holly December 25, 2013 at 7:37 am

Merry Christmas to you and your awesome family!!

PeachyLau December 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

Seems like you had lots of fun x

Karen December 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Brooke’s gray flower head wrap is totally adorable :) Your trail is amazing! I run through neighborhoods and dodge cars, I would love that tail!!

Madeline December 25, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Got the Brooks vest today! Thanks for sharing. Worked great in 25* weather this morning. Going to now check out the Gap site. :)

Danielle December 26, 2013 at 10:21 am

What running trail is this? Is it the Murdock Canal Trail? Looks like fun! Merry Christmas!

Kay December 26, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Wow, that’s so awesome that they plow the trail!

Niki January 5, 2014 at 9:46 am

That sledding hill looks awesome! And who cares- tacos on the floor sound great!

*http://expertbrand.com-Performance apparel for everyone. Use the code Expert10 to save!