Sister always knows how to put me in a good mood and snowmen pizza.

December 8, 2013

Brooke’s first Christmas party of the season was a success.

Why don’t I eat breakfast casserole, fruit and hot chocolate for breakfast more often?  It hit the spot.

Brooke did not warm up to Santa yesterday…

My cute friend Jessica WON the ugly sweater contest by a landslide.   Doesn’t her sweater look extremely comfortable?  I kind of just want one to lounge around in my basement all day.

And another snowstorm.   Saturday morning when my alarm clock went off to go running at 6 a.m. I decided that I would run after the Christmas party so that I could go outside when it was warmer.  We walked out of the party and a blizzard started.  Down to the treadmill I went.

What I did to avoid complete boredom on the treadmill:

2 miles running and then I hopped off the treadmill for 5 minutes of weights/push-ups/planks etc and then I repeated that 4 times for a total of 8 miles.

After my run when Brooke woke up we went over to my sister’s house because she always knows how to put me in a good mood (she turned on the Mindy Project and gave me a head massage…  That is all it takes).

Her kiddos were loving the fresh snow and they were playing in it for hours.

Brooke chose to stay inside and stand directly on top of the heater.

For dinner (also Christmas Tradition Day #7) we went over to Paige’s house to make snowmen pizza.   You have to admit this pizza is pretty cute.  You could use olives for the buttons on the snowman but I refuse to ruin pizza by topping it with something like olives.

And then we watched the Polar Express with hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies.

Nicole@thegirlwhoraneverywhere.com December 8, 2013 at 5:04 am

I am loving your traditions, they are adorable!! Calling an old friend always puts me in a great mood!!! Have a fabulous day!!:)

Sanaz @ runforcake December 8, 2013 at 5:08 am

Snuggling with my one year old (if she would only just let me hug for 3 hours at a time ;). Cooking/baking and of course eating it!
Brooke’s a smart cookie staying inside, warmest spot it in the house!

Stacey December 8, 2013 at 5:09 am

Morning coffee… Necessary if I need to function during the day. And seeing muscle definition when I am lifting!!

Kathy December 8, 2013 at 5:10 am

Pizza snowmen…I will have to surprise the family with that one! (Why haven’t I thought of that before?? ;-)

I see why she won the “ugly contest”….and sad to say I can totally remember long sweaters/sweatshirts like that!!!! In fact, I think I owned one myself….crazy flashback.

2 simple things: lights on a Christmas tree in a dark room with soft Christmas music playing in the background……ahhh!

Annie December 8, 2013 at 6:00 am

“Lights on a Christmas tree in a dark room with soft Christmas music playing in the background”
That.

Emma @ Culturecopia December 8, 2013 at 5:13 am

I love the snowman pizza idea! I think I will try that! And that breakfast looks amazing!!

Two things that always put me in a good mood are a Skype date with someone from home and being around horses!

Losing Lindy December 8, 2013 at 5:15 am

when my son says something funny, because kids say the darnest things ;)

Toni December 8, 2013 at 5:19 am

Is your hair in a sock bun??! So, so cute! I love a good sock bun. :)

2 things that make me happy: pizza and a hug from one year old!

Amy December 8, 2013 at 5:20 am

I love your sweater! Can you share the details?

The Hungry Runner Girl December 8, 2013 at 6:39 am

Hey Amy! It is from Nordstrom Rack.

Emily December 8, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Any brand or label name? It’s AMAZING!

Floey December 9, 2013 at 12:33 am

I love that sweater too! Those prints are gorgeous :)
PS. who’s that cute guy holding Brooke ?;)

Leah @ Running with the Hayneses December 8, 2013 at 5:20 am

Definitely coffee, and snuggling with my cats (I don’t have kids, so cats are the next best thing I guess). :)

Abi@AbsofSteel December 8, 2013 at 5:21 am

chocolate and puppies :)

Melissa the redheaded runner December 8, 2013 at 5:26 am

Eddie Munster the mutt and Maggie doodle. Yes we are awesome at naming dogs! Digging the bun can’t wait till my hairs that long and your sweater where can I find it?

The Hungry Runner Girl December 8, 2013 at 6:39 am

Thank you so much! I got it at Nordstrom rack!

Karen @karenlovestorun December 8, 2013 at 5:29 am

Two things that cheer me up no matter what: Christmas tree light in my living room snuggling on the couch with Christmas music or a movie :)

LOVE the ugly sweater…

Karen @karenlovestorun

Nikki @ grab your kicks December 8, 2013 at 5:31 am

I’m always in a good mood after my yoga+pilates class. I love just concentrating on my breathing and really getting into the poses. I also love listening to Christmas music this time of year.

Livi December 8, 2013 at 5:35 am

a talk with my mom or some journaling/bible time!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 8, 2013 at 5:36 am

I remember being able to play outside in the snow for HOURS when I was growing up… and now it’s like I’m just trying to get back inside as fast as possible lol.

Two simple things: chocolate and good books… preferably together.

Candice@Hungrymotherunner December 8, 2013 at 8:14 am

Ha! me too!!! I can’t stand being cold anymore! It’s the worst!

Linda @running4two December 8, 2013 at 5:39 am

Ice cream and a good movie! Love your hair in the party picture :-).

Heather @fitncookies December 8, 2013 at 5:43 am

I love reading your traditions every day!
Two things that cheer me up.. baking, and talking to my mom on the phone.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 8, 2013 at 5:49 am

A snowman pizza would definitely be putting me in a good mood! Although for me, chocolate and a good movie does the trick nicely.

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More December 8, 2013 at 5:52 am

Brooke standing on the heat vent reminds me of me when I was little. Every morning when it was cold when I got up I would head straight to the heat vent in the living room (the largest in the house) and sit on it until I was warm.

Two things that cheer me up… hugs from my daughters and my baby nieces and nephews.

Becky December 8, 2013 at 5:54 am

Coffee and talking to my mom always does the trick for me!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 8, 2013 at 5:55 am

Such a fun and festive day!
1. Clean up my apartment (sounds weird but I always smile and feel so much better :))
2. Drinking a cup of tea!

Ali December 8, 2013 at 6:00 am

That photo of B on the heater is pretty adorable! Poor CA baby! :)

Megan @ Meg Go Run December 8, 2013 at 6:03 am

1. When my cat is on my lap. (Like now!) 2. When I turn the Christmas lights on in my house. :)

Shari December 8, 2013 at 6:09 am

The snowmen pizza is adorable!

2 things that always make me happy: reading and spending time with friends :)

Amy @ Long Drive Journey December 8, 2013 at 6:10 am

Two things that make me happy: french fries and people all singing Christmad carols together. It just gets me every time.

Becky December 8, 2013 at 6:10 am

Playing tennis always puts me in a good mood and being outside with my husband! I love the snowmen pizzas! I need to try this!

Lauren December 8, 2013 at 6:14 am

Your hair is adorable in the sock bun!! Coffee and the beach are 2 things that make me happy!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 8, 2013 at 6:17 am

Two things that always put me in a good mood:
1. Running
2. Lazy nights with my husband

Both of which don’t happen as much as I would like recently because I am still coming back from a running injury AND my husband has a huge test a week from tomorrow so he is crazy busy!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs December 8, 2013 at 6:21 am

We always used to stand on the heat vents when we were kids — brings back memories!

Simple things that make me happy: a good cup of coffee, and snuggles with my pup!

Erica December 8, 2013 at 6:22 am

Baking.
Making a new running playlist.

I need more breakfast casserole in my life too.
Happy Sunday friend.

Rachel W December 8, 2013 at 6:27 am

love your aztec cardigan – where is it from? :)

The Hungry Runner Girl December 8, 2013 at 6:37 am

Thank you! It is from Nordstrom rack!

Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes December 8, 2013 at 6:31 am

Talking to friends, getting massages, and making an awesome recipe will put me in a good mood! Enjoy you Sunday!

Ewa December 8, 2013 at 6:34 am

Love your new hairdo!

My dog Cooper puts me in a good mood.
Morning coffee.
Love going to movie theatre with my husband:)

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona December 8, 2013 at 6:37 am

Looks like Brooke has things figured out already by standing on the vent.

2 things that put me in a good mood: spending time with friends and reading a good book.

Jen Y @ brokentequila December 8, 2013 at 6:44 am

A napping toddler and a good book do wonders for my mood! The snow is so pretty! It’s cold enough here, by drier than dry. If it’s going to be below 30 for weeks at a time it should have the decency to snow!

Christine December 8, 2013 at 6:50 am

You look really pretty with your hair pulled back! Another way to make pizza is on English muffins. It’s really good! Another holiday tradition in my house is something from the Hungarian culture… You get an ornament of a pickle and hide it in the tree and whoever finds it has good luck all year!

Ashley December 8, 2013 at 6:53 am

I love your bun! 2 things that put me in a good mood are drinking tea and reading a book! Lame but awesome to me :)

Leigha @ Minougirl December 8, 2013 at 7:03 am

Reading a book and playing the piano always make me happy! Oh, to be like your nieces and actually want to play in the snow..I miss that!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles December 8, 2013 at 7:04 am

If I am not allowed to count running, two other things that put me in a good mood are most definitely eating my favorite dessert (instant smile) and a great pedicure. Manicures are OK but there is something so incredibly relaxing about the whole pedicure experience, especially when it includes a fab massage.

Jen December 8, 2013 at 7:14 am

Cuddling with my dog and staring at my mini Christmas tree :)

PS where is your black wrap patterned sweater from? It’s SUPER cute!!!

caitlin December 8, 2013 at 7:22 am

Brooke’s face in that first picture is just so cute!

My two things: watching “Music and Lyrics” and putting up my baby Christmas tree!

megan d December 8, 2013 at 7:25 am

Your friends sweater may be ugly, but yours is super cute! Love it.

So we were twinners yesterday. We had our ward christmas party/breakfast. ..and my plate was identical. After, ross took anna to a bday party while I did a circuit at home with my treadmill and weights. ..only mine totalled 4 miles instead of 8 ;) I will eventually run longer again. Did I tell you my achilles has been hurting now? I made the mistake if telling Josse that. Holy crap. Getting that scraped was a whole new level of pain.

Marissa December 8, 2013 at 7:28 am

Brooke looks like a fantastically smart girlie!
Two things that put me in a good mood: my girlfriends and when my kiddos are kind to one another.

Amy in MN December 8, 2013 at 7:28 am

Dancing and girls’ nights, best when combined.

Flower December 8, 2013 at 7:29 am

Two things that put me in a good mood….that’s easy, Chocolate and Froyo!

Emily December 8, 2013 at 7:37 am

I love your bun and sweater! You look beautiful!

Two things that always cheer me up are playing with Autumn our Golden Doodle (aka my baby :) and going on walks with my mom!

Cate December 8, 2013 at 7:40 am

Looks like you had a day! I love your sweater. Where is it from?

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 8, 2013 at 7:41 am

LOVE that first photo of Brooke! Adorable!

2 simple things that make me happy: ice cream and Hunter. :)

Elise @ 9toFit.com December 8, 2013 at 7:43 am

I’m with Brooke I would’ve stayed near the warm heater too lol

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life December 8, 2013 at 7:48 am

Brooke is a smart girl, figuring out that standing on the heater is the best place in the house ;) When I was a little girl and I wore flowy dresses, I’d always sit on the heater so the air would blow up my dress and look like a bubble. Hahaha! My anti-treadmill boredom technique recently is running while listening to the Christmas Pandora station. Keeps me happy :)

K December 8, 2013 at 7:57 am

The pizza, Brooke and the rest of the kids are so cute!! I used to watch the Polar Express all the time!! Anyway, 2 things that put me in a good mood:
1. Reading
2. Food

Matt @ Runner Savvy December 8, 2013 at 8:06 am

I love that pizza idea!

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run December 8, 2013 at 8:08 am

Weekends when I get to sleep in and not set the alarm clock at all.
The show Friends.

Jesica @rUnladylike December 8, 2013 at 8:21 am

I love that treadmill workout! Great way to change things up a little! And of course, all the pictures are so sweet! You two could not be cuter ;)

mary @ minutes per mile December 8, 2013 at 8:26 am

mindy project!! what a hilarious and wonderful show.

Lauren @Will Run for Boston December 8, 2013 at 8:36 am

That snowman pizza is so cute! I’m with you on the olives – ick!

amy December 8, 2013 at 8:40 am

Brooke is no fool, she is too smart to go out in the cold. She is a crack-up! Standing on the heater while peering over her shoulder outside. Great pic!

Thanks for sharing snowman pizza. I will have to do that with my kiddos.

You’re family is so sweet to you. I love how close you guys are. (I have a few siblings that don’t get along.sad)

2 simple things? Hot water and washers/dryers. Im always so grateful for those 2 things we sometimes take for granted.

Gina g December 8, 2013 at 9:00 am

What a fun day!

Family and going to the movies :)

Eugenia Byrne December 8, 2013 at 9:01 am

thai food and coffee-always

Lisa @ runningoutofwine December 8, 2013 at 9:07 am

Two things that put me in a good mood lately are Starbucks lattes and Christmas music.
That pizza is a really cute idea but I agree that olives would just ruin it!

april December 8, 2013 at 9:08 am

i just love your christmas tradition days! the snowman pizza is so cute :)

coffee and playing with my dogs always puts me in a good mood!

Meagan December 8, 2013 at 9:26 am

Your sweater is adorable!!

Looks like you had a great time! I went for my long run this morning, came home, showered, snuggled back in bed for a bit, and when I looked out my window there was snow! First snow fall of the season!! :)

Tracy December 8, 2013 at 9:30 am

just want to say thank-you for inspiring me to do “traditions” – my kids are double digits, but still all at home. Because of you I’ve been adding back in some things I thought they wouldn’t enjoy anymore…. and they love it! We’re having so much fun this year, thank you so much!

*Today is gingerbread house and cookies – but I need to go run first.

The Hungry Runner Girl December 8, 2013 at 10:11 am

This makes me sooooo happy!!!! Enjoy making gingerbread houses tonight!

Laura December 8, 2013 at 9:34 am

Always put me in a good mood:
1. LAUNDRY. –No joke, it makes me feel better to “purify” something.. and it makes me feel like I am making tomorrow better.
2. Music. –It can entirely reverse my mood.

Cari December 8, 2013 at 9:39 am

You look so pretty with your hair like that! You always look pretty, but this is fresh :) Brooke standing on the heater is hilarious. She seems like a hoot! Music always puts me in a good mood. And good coffee :)

Lily @ Lily Runs the World December 8, 2013 at 9:46 am

Why are head massages the best thing in the world??

Two things that put me in a good mood are taking a walk on the beach and the first sip of coffee really early in the morning.

Zoe December 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

Baking or cooking, reading a good book, working on a craft project, or cleaning up

Kaylie December 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

My dogs ALWAYS put me in a good mood, I can’t be sad or upset when I’m with them! They’re they best. Hot chocolate with a little Bailey’s also does the trick :)

Megan December 8, 2013 at 10:12 am

Wine and some loving from the cat or dog. Speaking of wine… it’s 5 oclock somewhere…

Tara December 8, 2013 at 10:33 am

Brooke standing on the vent is hilarious! Extremely smart girl!

Cori @ olivetorun December 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

I knew Brooke was my kinda gal… stay by the heat source, always.
Two things that always make my happy- children and puppies. ;)

Sara U December 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

You look so chic I love it!
1. Good food
2. online shopping- – my go to when I feel down. It has become my fix. . . my wallet hates me.

Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run December 8, 2013 at 10:53 am

-Grilled Cheese/Hot Chocolate
-Kiddos

Except there is a blizzard here too and the roads are awful and we are out of bread. So … yah.

Brooke knows what’s up with the heater ;)

Holly December 8, 2013 at 11:02 am

Fro yo and my kitties:) Your sweater at the Christmas party is beautiful!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 8, 2013 at 11:18 am

Hahaha that sweater is hilarious!!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt December 8, 2013 at 11:31 am

I say it all of the time, but Brooke is so stinkin adorable! My 13 month old son always puts me in a good mood and a shopping trip never hurts either. ;)

Megan December 8, 2013 at 11:48 am

Hour long phone conversations with my besties and the smell of banana nut bread filling my house during winter would definitely be in the top 2! After running of course:)

Katie Did What December 8, 2013 at 11:50 am

2 simple things that always put me in a good mood: a long hot shower with yummy smelling body wash and being with the people I love the most. :)

xo

Johanna December 8, 2013 at 12:10 pm

What puts me in a good mood? Hmmm… A good cup of smores coffee and a great book! :)

Ps. I hate olives on my pizza too! :p

Sara December 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Cuddle time with my toddler and an extra hot tall, chai latte with skim milk from Starbucks. Works like a charm EVERY SINGLE TIME!

HilJo December 8, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Chocolate and Harry Potter Audiobooks are the best moodlifters for me :) And sometimes a nap.

Lindsey @ Run Freckles Run December 8, 2013 at 1:02 pm

It seems like Brooke and I both share the same love of standing right over heaters for warmth in the winter!

Pop-Tarts & How I Met Your Mother

runningwithscissors December 8, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Brooke…my kind of gal. A heater is the spot to be in cold weather.
Two mood boosters shopping and wine.

Brooke @ sweats & sweets December 8, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Getting a great blowout from the hair salon and having my nails painted. Simple tasks that I don’t have to do make me so happy!

Marilyn December 8, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Standing on the heating vent to warm my feet (like Brooke) puts me in pretty good mood. :-)

Jackie December 8, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Talking to my mom!

Joanna @ knitlit twit December 8, 2013 at 2:20 pm

2 things: frozen yogurt and getting to sit and knit with friends.

Runner Girl Eats December 8, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Snuggling on the couch always makes me happy. Also, just looking at Christmas lights brightens my mood :)

Lina December 8, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Watching reruns of the Office and kettle corn popcorn. LOVE that sweater too!

Courtney! December 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm

A- Regina Spektor!

B- yoga!

xx!

J@ unnaturellerunner December 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I love the snowman pizza! I’m going to do this Friday- our pizza night :)

Snow is such a foreign concept to me. It looks beautiful, but I don’t know how you do it!

Nikki @ will run for pizza December 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Good mood = pizza, candles, Sunday naps, buying workout clothes.

Annette@FitnessPerks December 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

That snowman pizza looks awesome!!

2 things that put me in a good mood: a super sweaty workout, snuggling with my baby & husband!

Lynz December 8, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Love your hair up like that! 2 things that make me happy: snuggling with my family and reading a good book. Chocolate doesn’t hurt anything of course. :) Running really does make me the happiest though!

LC December 8, 2013 at 5:03 pm

“What are 2 simple things (besides running) that always put you in a good mood?!?!”

Well I have to admit, being in a bad mood can negatively affect my running, which I HATE and I wish I could improve upon. As a gymnast I had amazing mental toughness…this has changed with age! Oddly enough, though, going to work in the ER helps me. It makes me realize that there are problems bigger than mine, and it puts things in perspective. Especially when I get the opportunity to save a life or make a sick patient feel more at ease. It’s true what was once said, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.”

I can’t believe how fast Brooke is growing up! I wish they could stay little forever. She is too cute. Is she saying many words yet?

Kristin @ W [H] A T C H December 8, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Snowman pizza is brilliant!

Josse Tobiasson December 8, 2013 at 8:34 pm

My Kids and the warm sunshine.

Kelly December 8, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Non-living would be going for a walk, yoga and hot chocolate, living would be my sister and my family. I know that’s five but I’m a happy girl :)

Kara @ Kara in the Kitchen December 8, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Your hair looks so pretty pulled back like that!

2 things:

1. Dr. Pepper
2. Chocolate

Autismmum December 9, 2013 at 12:36 am

upbeat music, a good (but not sad) book and a bath. :-)

Kristi December 9, 2013 at 1:42 am

2 simple things that put me in a good mood…
Kneading dough.. I know that’s random, but it’s pretty therapeutic for me.
Just spending time with friends. I love when friend’s come over and spend some time with me.

Jan December 9, 2013 at 2:41 am

How cute are those snowmen pizza?? Two things that always put me in a good mood (other than running) are curling up with a good book and having a long chat – the kind that goes all over the place and back again – with good friends or my family. Can’t beat it! :-) An extra thing that will make me happy is if I can finally get rid of the toothache I seem to have had FOREVER now! :-(

Kari @ Running Ricig December 9, 2013 at 5:15 am

Brooke’s got the right idea hanging out on the heating vent. I do love playing in the snow, though.

The best is when we first get a bunch of snow here, letting the dog out to play. She goes NUTS! It’s hilarious.

Kay December 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

Mmm that snowman pizza looks delicious!!

Sarah G. December 9, 2013 at 10:57 am

Warm brownies and my cat laying on me both make me happy every single time.

That pizza looks delicious! Glad you didn’t ruin it with something gross like olives. :)

Meredith@RunMeriRun December 10, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Christmas tree lights & chocolate! I’m lovin the bun! You should do a video how-to! That smile on Brooke would put anyone in a good mood!

Niki December 12, 2013 at 7:58 am

Snowman pizza? Adorable!!

Things that always put me in a good mood: snuggling with my husband and dog, and chocolate!

*http://expertbrand.com-Performance Apparel for everyone. Use the code Expert10 to save!