1/2 Marathon Race Recap

August 11, 2013

Thank you so much for all of your kind comments yesterday, you made my day!

————————————————————–

First off, this course is definitely a PR course, there was uphill portions and strong head winds at points but overall it was a very easy FAST course.  Between the high elevation that I am still adjusting to and running this race on really tired legs (I did two speed workouts this past week and no taper) I am really thrilled with my time and I am excited to train extra hard for my marathon in December.

Let’s first talk about a man that ran the race in 1:14 with CROCS.  I will not be able to understand the hows.

I woke up at about 4:40 and ate an ego waffle with syrup.  I got ready really quick, packed some bread with jam to eat 30 minutes before the race start and got to the race at about 5:10 to pick up my bib.  It was a super small race ($45 to register…I like that:) and the race director was hilarious and super laid back.  They bussed us to the start where we waited for about an hour.

We started running right on time (no timing chips, the guy with the crocs was the one that just told us to go so I am basing my time off of my Garmin completely).

The course was insanely gorgeous.  We passed by this waterfall three times.  Each time it was breathtaking.  Also, the temperatures were perfect!

I started eating swedish fish at about mile 4.  You gotta do what you gotta do.   I am all about keeping up with those glycogen levels.

I saw Rachelle at mile 7, talked to her for a few minutes while we ran and then let her pull me through to the end with her incredibly encouraging words and she would even get my water for me.  This girl is so strong and I just love her to death.

It was a very emotional race for me.  Wanna know something crazy about this race… it was my FIRST 1/2 MARATHON EVER a few years ago… it has been going on for 21 years now!

Just one more with Rachelle.  I really like her.

My cute parents brought Brooke and like usual it is the best feeling to see her little face at the finish line.

My sister and her kiddos also came to cheer and we all ate pancakes afterwards together.

On the way home I made my nephew go in and get ice for me (he picked up some coloring contest papers too) for my 20 minute ice bath.  The ice bath hurt for a few seconds but then after that it felt really good on my legs.  I stretched for a while and foam rolled, I am doing whatever it takes to make sure I stay injury free because I really like racing.  Racing is what gets me up out of bed every day to train.

I hope you have noticed that on my blog I stick to just endorsing products that I am obsessed with and things that I use myself a lot…  I can’t even begin to tell you about how much I love the JayBird BLUEBUDS X.

I always race with music because it pushes me to run a lot faster and I have done too many races and runs with annoying chords getting tangled and stuck in my lip gloss in the past.  Seriously, these wireless headphones make me feel like I am not even wearing headphones.  The sound is perfect and it is super easy to set up the bluetooth with your phone/ipod etc.  They are my secret weapon and I won’t ever be able to go back to normal headphones.

(Brooke took off the little ear pieces that hold them in your ear and they were upstairs when I took the picture and I was already to sore to go get them for the picture)

Notice my playlist name:  Running ONLY.  It is because I save the songs on this playlist just for running (and mainly just on speed days) so that they always seem kind of new and exciting to me.

Nothing like a late night Sonic run after a morning PR race with your mom.

—————————————————–

I have an awesome race coming up in October—>  The Runner’s World Half & Festival!  I really feel like you should come out to Pennsylvania and run it with me!

Screen Shot 2013 08 10 at 9 49 22 PM

You can get 10% off the Half with the discount code: hungryrunnergirlRWHalf

and 10% off the Hat Trick (the 5k, 10k and half marathon) with the discount code: hungryrunnergirlRWHat

Enjoy every second of your Sunday!

Gilly @ DoubleTroubleRunning August 11, 2013 at 5:06 am

Hey there! Super super impressed with your race time…well done! Regardless of whether the course was fast or not you still smoked it! Ice-cream is the perfect treat. Enjoy the achievement! :)

Scallywag August 11, 2013 at 5:09 am

It was an amazing time and you placed and everything! You are so awesome, cant believe you have a baby and are running like that!

Enjoy your Sunday!

Scallywag August 11, 2013 at 5:18 am

Wait… someone ran in CROCS?!

Jamie @ fitfortherun August 11, 2013 at 5:45 am

I was thinking the same thing… how is that even possible without falling?!

Matilda @RunMum August 12, 2013 at 2:37 am

I met a man during a half marathon in April, and he ran in thongs aka flip flops, no I’m not kidding you.
I also spoke to a guy from ‘the running company’ (shoe store) and he said that at one of the ironman events in the usa, they do a survey of shoes worn, and crocs makes it into the top 10. Weird but true.

Catherine August 11, 2013 at 5:09 am

I bought those jaybirds at your recommendation a few months ago. They are a bit pricey but i LOVE them. Well worth the investment! They were my treat to myself. I just dowloaded pom-pom. haha, im a fifty-something listening to the jonas bros, makes me laugh. Perfect for my running list.
The race sounds fabulous. Do you ever travel down south (fl) to race? I would be there to cheer you on. Congrats!

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties August 11, 2013 at 7:53 am

pom poms! that is the best song ever!!!

Emily @ Running for Boston August 11, 2013 at 5:13 am

Congrats on an amazing race! That’s awesome. I’m jealous of the waterfalls!

I took my 1st ever ice bath yesterday (20 minutes) after my 18.2 mile long run done at 8:07 average pace!! I actually really loved the ice bath except for the first few seconds submerging myself….yikes! I am now an ice bath fan!

Linda @running4two August 11, 2013 at 5:18 am

Congrats on your PR! That is amazing! I can’t wait to see what you do in December!

I totally signed up for the Hat Trick at the Runner’s World running fesitval! I’ll see you there!

Mallory August 11, 2013 at 5:20 am

You are so inspirational! Congratulations, super excited for you. I hope you do nothing but relax today……oh and eat lots of swedish fish/pancakes/cafe rio/red velvet cake ice cream/everything else you love:)

Jamie @ fitfortherun August 11, 2013 at 5:22 am

Janae, you are sooo inspiring! That’s go great that your family was waiting for you at the finish :) I REALLY want to run the RW half in PA, but that is the weekend I’m running my first marathon. Hopefully next year!!

Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes August 11, 2013 at 5:23 am

This post brings back memories of being in Utah with you! Couldn’t be prouder or more happy for you! You deserve it!!!

Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now August 11, 2013 at 5:23 am

Do Swedish Fish work as fuel? Or is that just a joke?

And if it is in PA – and between Philly and Lancaster – email me and visit with Brooke!!!!

Emily August 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

Not a joke (for me at least). My body can’t handle all the gu/chomp stuff during long runs, but I can definitely tolerate swedish fish! I know it’s as fancy, but sugar = carbs = energy.

In fact, when I finished my first marathon I realized I had a swedish fish stuck to the bottom of my shoe…

Emily August 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

correction: It’s NOT as fancy.

Oh and, WAY TO GO JANAE!!!!!

morgan August 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I use regular candy as fuel also- it definitely works just as well I think.. and a whole lot cheaper. My fave is jelly beans or starbursts.

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick August 11, 2013 at 5:26 am

I can’t believe someone ran in crocs!!! Wow!! I’m glad you had a friend to run with I always feel like running with friends is always more fun!! Congratulations on your time, you were flying!!

Monica L August 11, 2013 at 5:26 am

Again-congratulations speedster :) That guy is crazy running in crocs! I love Brooke’s face in that picture. Now I want pancakes AND ice cream. I don’t run with music because I HATE dealing with cords, but I’m too cheap to buy the Jaybirds, but I also have a running playlist that I ONLY listen to when running. That race in PA in the fall is going to be beautiful!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life August 11, 2013 at 5:31 am

That is seriously awesome. A huge congratulations and pat on the back for you!

Danica @ It's Progression August 11, 2013 at 5:41 am

A man ran in crocs?! it’s a lucky thing he didn’t injure himself!

Congrats again on your fantastic time/race!! You make me so excited for my next half in 2 weeks! :)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 11, 2013 at 5:51 am

A huge congrats on an awesome race, Janae. And I can barely even -walk- in Crocs, so I have no idea how that man ran a half in them. Mind is boggled.

Tammie August 11, 2013 at 6:02 am

That is an amazing time. Congrats! The guys in crocs SMH!

Jessica R @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad August 11, 2013 at 6:03 am

Congrats! You really impress and motivate me. Race reports always make me want to race more than I do. I’ve only placed once for an age group award. Time to get back at it!

Kaitlyn August 11, 2013 at 6:04 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You’ve worked so hard and have EARNED that PR! Yayayayayya! Can’t wait to see what you’re going to accomplish in December :)

LosingLindy August 11, 2013 at 6:05 am

You did amazing and what a great friend you have!

The guy in crocs is crazy

Anna S. August 11, 2013 at 6:06 am

Amazing job!! Congratulations on an awesome time. This makes me excited for my next half although my PR is about an hour slower than yours.

Do the Jaybirds drain your phone/ipod battery using the bluetooth? I’m so slow I worry about my ipod dying.

Catherine August 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

My phine has never died when running and i am sssllloooowwww! The jaybirds are suppose to hold n 8hr charge. I love mine. Thanks again, J, for the recommendation.

Catherine August 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

My phone has never died when running and i am sssllloooowwww! The jaybirds are suppose to hold an 8hr charge. I love mine. Thanks again, J, for the recommendation.

Amy @ Long Drive Journey August 11, 2013 at 6:06 am

I definitely need to figure out how to train and not injure myself. Whatever you are doing seems to work!

I have a Pandora station that I listen to while I run, but like you I ONLY listen to it during runs. It does help to keep the music fresh, especially since it happens to be the Nelly station and plays the same 20 songs over and over again.

Jessica S. August 11, 2013 at 6:15 am

You are inspiring me right out the door this morning!!! That PR is so crazy!!! :) If I were you I would eat extra everything yummy this week to celebrate :) Congratulations!!!

Heather @ Run Like a G! August 11, 2013 at 6:23 am

What an awesome race!!!!
I was smiling reading this! I love when we train our bodies to the limit and then they amaze us on race day!!!
Congrats!!!!!!
I hope you have a super easy rest day!!!

Melissa @mypeachlife August 11, 2013 at 6:28 am

Yay way to go! So glad to see the hard work you have put in paying off. I have started doing more speed work and I am seeing a difference in my pace and my overall endurance and love it. Congrats on the PR. I want to run the hat trick so badly but I can’t this year… Maybe next year!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More August 11, 2013 at 6:37 am

You are so speedy! Congratulations!!

Angie August 11, 2013 at 6:54 am

That’s amazing! You’ve inspired me to sign up for my first post baby (born in Sept) half in December. I haven’t had the motivation to run more than 4-6 miles but now I can’t wait to get back out there. You will get that sub 3 in Dec!

Verlin August 11, 2013 at 6:55 am

Awesome job – good for you!!! I do really appreciate that you only mention products that you love and your blog isn’t an advertisement. I mean, I’d still read it for the pictures of Brooke, but I wouldn’t love it nearly as much. Thanks!

Lisa in NC August 11, 2013 at 6:56 am

I bought the Jaybird head phones last week after you mentioned them – best thing ever! I’ll never be able to go back to cords again. I can’t wait to use them in the gym today.

Congrats on the 1/2 – you’re so speedy!

Jenn B August 11, 2013 at 7:03 am

Way to go! Congrats on the PR.

A few questions: How often do you fuel with Swedish Fish during a long run and how many do you eat at a time? How do you carry your fuel during a race- in your hands, pouch, etc.?

Bridie August 11, 2013 at 8:06 am

I was coming to ask this very same question. Congrats on a great race! Would love to see a post on how you fuel, how you carry it, how often and what you drink. Training for my first marathon so I need all the help I can get!

Gracie (Complicated Day) August 11, 2013 at 7:12 am

Such a superstar! I am so excited to see where your training takes you next: a 1:2 half on tired legs is really, really impressive. You have a good coach and you’ve been training smart! I’m taking heart from your example: I had that nasty femur fracture, and your big comeback from injury is an inspiration. You are killing it!
Forget 2:59…you can do better than that…

HollieisFueledByLOLZ August 11, 2013 at 7:16 am

I don’t even know where to begin with commenting Janae (without sounding like a kissass). The amount of effort and hard work you have been putting into your training only bodes that you would PR! After having your baby and finding your coach, you have already achieved so much and you are going to have a great marathon. I can’t wait to see how your marathon goes in December. (Though I wish you were doing NYC ;)).

I saw you had tweeted something about the Runners World half marathon and was wondering if you were coming out this way. Have fun with it, I’ve heard nothing but great things!

MartinaNYC August 11, 2013 at 7:17 am

Again girl, huge congrats to you! I can’t believe how fast you are! Also, I love Brooke’s face in that picture-it seems as if she’s thinking: “yup guys, my mom PRd again!”

Kristin August 11, 2013 at 7:27 am

Congrats! I love doing small, local races and this seems like a gorgeous one.

Nicole August 11, 2013 at 7:30 am

I would love to run by a waterfall! So beautiful.
How you do you carry your ipod when you run?

Julia August 11, 2013 at 7:34 am

You should be so proud of yourself! You have clearly been training really hard and you deserved to see the payoff!

I once saw a man run a 5k in 21 minutes wearing those slip on shower shoes. People have some weird skills.

Allee @ Griselda Mood August 11, 2013 at 7:37 am

Amazing, amazing race! Congratulations! I’m so happy to hear your coach is working out for you– I’d love to hear more about this mysterious, helpful person! ;-0 Hope you’re having a relaxing and restful Sunday!

Janelle August 11, 2013 at 7:38 am

Way to go Janae!! You are so speedy!
If you are ever looking for a blog topic I’d love to hear more about how you fuel for long runs, I’m just starting to get into longer runs (over 10k) and I’m at a bit of a loss! Thanks :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 11, 2013 at 7:41 am

Sounds like a great race – it must have been so special to PR where you ran your first half!

Lauren August 11, 2013 at 7:42 am

OH MY GOSH! You’re coming to PA?! I’m seriously about to make the drive JUST to come watch you race! I’ve been reading your blog forever so it’d be great to PERSONALLY support you!!! If my knee surgery recovery keeps improving maybe I could do the 5k! AHH!

Congrats on the PR! I cannot even walk around in Crocs without tripping or them sliding off of my feet, so I am amazed at this man. What a trooper!

dana a. August 11, 2013 at 7:43 am

Congratulations! You are sooooo fast:)

I start training for my first half and this week….eek!

Happy Sunday!

Allie August 11, 2013 at 7:55 am

The crocs guy straight stresses me out. And girl, you are so insanely fast!! Congratulations!!

Becky August 11, 2013 at 7:59 am

Your time is incredible, and the race sounds so fun! I have run three half marathons now and I am looking for a good full marathon to train for now! I always love a new challenge!

Ali August 11, 2013 at 8:05 am

Congrats Janae!! Your hard work and smart training is clearly paying off! I swear by ice baths. I took one after every long run during my marathon training…even when it got to be a little rough during the cool fall days :) I bundled up for those. Keep it up and you’ll be rocking that marathon!!

Ali K. @ Hit the Ground Running August 11, 2013 at 8:11 am

I’ve never heard of a half that doesn’t time. That’s kind of awesome!! It looks like a beautiful race!!

Kylie August 11, 2013 at 8:19 am

Congrats on your PR that is absolutely amazing! I am now SUPER excited because I am signed up for the RW Half! I hope I see you there!!! :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 11, 2013 at 8:19 am

Ahhh Bridal Veil Waterfall! Beautiful! Great job on your awesome finish!

Linda August 11, 2013 at 8:24 am

What a wonderful story. Janae I have said before how absolutely awesome I think you are but PLEASE, let’s talk about Brooke’s face in that photo! I can’t take it! She is so adorable!

fatzzzz August 11, 2013 at 8:30 am

Hi! I’m a long time reader (from Pakistan!!!) but barely comment.. just had to say CONGRATS!

Sara August 11, 2013 at 8:32 am

I totally do that with my running playlists! I’m not allowed to listen to those songs on the elliptical or driving etc. The best thing is discovering a song you are just in love with and makes you feel so inspired while running, and the worst thing is when that song gets so tired that you start hitting ‘next’ when it comes on.

Julia @ Basket of Juls August 11, 2013 at 8:36 am

Congrats!! Looks like you are having a fantastic weekend!

Thanks for sharing your recommendation on those wireless headphones. I love running with music but the cords can get so annoying. I also like how you keep your running songs just for running so they seem new. Great tip. Also can’t believe the guy in the crocs! Happy Sunday :)

michelle kim August 11, 2013 at 9:20 am

Aww, it must have been so nice to celebrate your PR with your family like that :D
My first half was the San Jose RNR Half, and I have been running it every year since I started running four years ago. Hope I get a PR (and I’ll probably get emotional, too).
You planning on doing the Hat Trick?

Kristina @ Blog About Running August 11, 2013 at 9:22 am

I do the same thing with my playlists! I create a new running playlist each month and I ONLY listen to those songs during my runs :)

Congrats again on such an awesome PR!

MILF Runner August 11, 2013 at 9:31 am

That pancake illusion pic made me laugh. For second I thought she was eating the most giant pancake ever. So excited to see you dominate the road from Folsom to Sacramento. It will be a thing of beauty and inspiration.

Lynsey August 11, 2013 at 9:32 am

Crocs? For real? I can’t even walk in Crocs let alone run in them. I guess you find what works and stick with it. I wonder how he even discovered that Crocs were his running “footwear” of choice? It’s the kind of shoe you put on at 8pm to go get your cat out of the neighbors backyard (in my experience. lol). This guy is worthy of an article in Runners World based on how many questions I have about this whole scenario. Congratulations on your PR!

Steph F August 11, 2013 at 9:55 am

Holy cow, you are one speedy lady!! Congrats on your new PR – I am in awe!

I can’t even fathom how someone could run a half in Crocs, not to mention with such an amazing time. At my first half, there was a guy running in a toga and gladiator style sandals (and no, it was not a Halloween-themed event and yes, it was very cold out!) which made me feet hurt just looking at him. People do crazy things!!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 11, 2013 at 10:14 am

Great job on the great race!!! I hope some of your speediness rubs off on me :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend with that accomplishment under your belt!

Jen@ milesandblessings August 11, 2013 at 10:27 am

Amazing time!!! I am so happy for you. I love pancakes and that sundae looks perfect! Running in crocs is crazy and that fast is really crazy!
Congrats on an awesome race! I wish I was closer to PA!

Robert August 11, 2013 at 10:32 am

I love reading your posts, so entertaining!

And….Crocs?!

elizabeth August 11, 2013 at 10:46 am

I can’t even with the crocs dude. My body hurts just thinking about it. It also seems like a major accident waiting to happen. Anyway, congratulations on the PR – seriously amazing!! I have a feeling it won’t be long before you have another, and I can’t wait to read more about your training.

HilJo August 11, 2013 at 10:51 am

That has to be encouraging :) PRs are always nice! And how fun that it was the same as your first half marathon.

Totally random, but what was the elevation change over the course? As an Indiana runner (read 100% flat) I am always curious about how downhill/uphill affects racing. Actually, if you ever need post material, it might be great to hear about uphill and downhill running strategies!!

Mindy August 11, 2013 at 10:53 am

CONGRATS!! You are amazing. I’m wondering how you even talked to rachelle running that fast? I can’t imagine even breathing at that pace. Let alone talk! But seriously. You are amazing. Anyway, also wanted to say I hope everything is going great for you! Not that I even know you or anything and dont want to be a creeper I just want to make sure everything is okay because I love you and your blog! (Again, creeper much?? Sorry!)

Jenny August 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

Congrats on the PR! That’s so exciting and I’m so happy for you! I’m already anticipating that December marathon post!!!!!! :)

Bryanna Johnson August 11, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Was the guy in the Crocs named Sasha? I am originally from Utah and I have run a couple of races with him. He’s very interesting and very fast!

Laura August 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm

OHMIGOODNESS you are coming to the Runner’s World half & festival??? I am doing the hat trick….I love reading your blog and I would LOVE love love to meet you!!! That would seriously make that race weekend even more amazing! :) Of course, it will only be if you wait around at the finish…cause I am certainly not speedy like you!

Patricia @ ihavegravesdisease.com August 11, 2013 at 12:22 pm

You set your mind to something and you do it. Your commitment is so inspirational.

Krissy August 11, 2013 at 12:27 pm

HOLY SMOKES! That is one fast time and one great run. You were my inspiration on the treadmill this morning. After being up most the night with a sick kiddo, I was needing the push! Glad it was such a great day for you!

morgan August 11, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Congrats again Janae! Keep up the great work.. love the picture of your nephew getting your ice btw- you have some great helpers :)

Renee @ Renee Runs Miles August 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Great job Janae!! Your hard work is definitely paying off.

Kelly August 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Nice job!

Christina (Sisters running the kitchen) August 11, 2013 at 1:08 pm

congrats on such a speedy race!! what a great feeling that must be. i always reward myself after races with ice cream too haha those ear phones look awesome but they are pretty $$ i would be afraid to lose them but i feel like they are pretty sweet- i could see myself buying them one day.

Beka August 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm

That’s an amazing PR. Great Job!

EEEKKK! You’re coming to PA?!?!?!? That’s awesome. The Runner’s World half is 10 min from my house. I had planned on doing that one this year as my first half ever, but I found one in September that I’m doing instead (it’s on my birthday, I couldn’t resist). I might be doing the RW 10k though, so maybe I’ll see you around. :-)

Miranda @ Miranda Runs August 11, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I don’t think I can even sprint at your average pace! Girl you are so amazingly speedy! Congrats!

Amber @ Fit Cupcake Lover August 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

A huge congrats to you! What a phenomenal PR.

I hope you have a great Sunday!

Amy @ crazysweatymommy August 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Crocs…yuck! and socks and Crocs…..oh brother!

Jazz August 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Hmm crocs are soft on the feet and pretty bouncy, maybe they would be ok for running!

Amanda@Running On Coffee August 11, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Congrats on the great race! As for your next– Bethlehem in October will be beautiful and perfect race weather! (I’d take a cold race day over heat any day). My husband lived there for 2 semesters while in college, it’s a fun little town.

Team Orphans August 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Wow!! GREAT race!!!!! You go, girl!
: )

Emily August 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Reading this post just has me in tears. You are so touching, and your bright light really shines through on your blog. I am just so happy for you!!

As for the Crocs… I don’t even like standing on my feet too much in them during work (Nurse) so I can’t imagine wearing them to run in. Seems like an injury waiting to happen ala face plant, but apparently you can run 1:14 halfs in them. Huh… maybe I have underestimated the ugly little shoe after all. :)

Melissa August 11, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Smore candy corn. Fuel for your next half marathon?

Nancy August 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Congrats on your race!!! Where do you keep your phone during races? I have the Bluebuds too and use an armband, but it can be annoying and chafe sometimes. Sorry if you covered this before. Thanks

Kay August 11, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Haha your swedish fish fuel.. so funny
Those pancakes look to diee

Debbie @ Deb Runs August 11, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Way to rock your PR half yesterday! Running in crocks? Was that guy looking for an injury???

Nikki @ Grab Your Kicks August 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I will never understand how people run barefoot, in flip flops, crocs, etc! Crazy! I don’t think I’d make it a mile in those! PS You did awesome!!! Way to go!

Allison August 11, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Congrats on a great race!! Do you run with an iPod? I don’t see it in the pic? Just curious if you have a shuffle or usually wear an arm band?

The Hungry Runner Girl August 11, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I have the nano and bought a little case so it hooks on to my shorts! Ill do a post about it!

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama August 11, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Congrats again on a fabulous race! That’s an awesome time, especially on tired legs. You are going to rock the half in PA & the full in December!

I’ve never run a race with music. Many races have rules against headphones. As a former race director I learned it’s an insurance regulation & meant to ensure safety for the runners, especially on courses that aren’t closed. I don’t run with music most of the time because I’m running on trails or country roads and want to be fully aware of my surroundings. On race day, I love to hear all of the race day sounds, especially cheering spectators!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats August 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I have a separate playlist for speed days too. I like thinking every song is fresh :) You are crazy speedy! Congrats again :)

Emily August 11, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Go Janae! You inspired to me to go for a long (for me) run today. Whenever I felt tired, I thought of how hard you work and it helped me get through it!

Nikki @ willrunforpizza August 11, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Do you drink at all during your races?? And do you just carry your snacks?? I’m experimenting with hydrating/fueling during long runs & I carry it all, but it’s becoming annoying. But I don’t want to wear a pack either! lol I’m only 7 hours from Bethlehem! Man I would love to come run it with you – even though you would probably be done and back home by the time I finished! haha…NICE PR!!

Holly August 11, 2013 at 6:43 pm

You are my running and training inspiration. AMAZING and sooooo fast! Congrats Janae! Love ya

Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk August 11, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Huge congratulations on your PR!

And even though I am OBSESSED with my Crocs (and yes I know they are hideous) I cannot imagine running more than to the refrigerator in them! Crazy!

Kristine August 11, 2013 at 7:08 pm

CONGRATS!!! Well deserved lady – you’ve certainly put the training in. Couldn’t be happier for you! :) I have a running only playlist too for the exact same reasons – it’s necessary! I’m thisclose to registering for CIM… if I run it, you know we must get food either before or after!

Annette@FitnessPerks August 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm

COngrats on the PR!! Wahoo!

Lilly August 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm

You are such a huge inspiration, in so so so many ways! Way to go Janae, you deserve this girl! I just know you are going to do awesome at your December marathon. I love reading your blog, not only because you are such a strong and amazing runner but also just a downright strong and amazing person is general. Glad you got your ice cream :) it’s a must!

TD August 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Most impressive! Great job Janae! I see a sub 3 in your future!

Lauren August 11, 2013 at 10:13 pm

The man who ran in crocs…no way is that even possible! I can’t imagine walking fast in crocs let alone SPRINTING in them haha.

Congrats again on the PR….unreal! You’re a running inspiration

Miranda August 12, 2013 at 2:20 am

Well done! Can’t believe that man ran in crocs >.<

Crissy August 12, 2013 at 3:35 am

Once again, awesome job! I may have to check out those headphones, thanks for the tip!

Kari @ Running Ricig August 12, 2013 at 5:02 am

Sounds like you had a seriously awesome day. I’m thinking I should have had an ice bath after my long run this weekend. Maybe then I wouldn’t still be slightly sore today. Oh well, you live and learn.

Congratulations on your race!

Nikki @ run+breathe+be August 12, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Congratulations on the PR!

I was sooo going to run the RW Half! But…I will be in Italy instead… Darn. :-)

Autumn August 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

How many swedish fish do you eat? What else do you fuel with?

Congrats on your run!!

Tiffany August 14, 2013 at 10:39 am

That is like 2 hours from me, ahhhhh so cool that you will be there. I don’t run/race on Sundays so I’m bummed the half marathon portion is pushed to then. It will be a GORGEOUS course which I’m sure you will LOVE!

Kelsey August 15, 2013 at 6:29 pm

First of all, you are awesome! I have been stuck in a rut when it comes to running ever since I had my baby 4 months ago. I run 4-5 times a week but just haven’t felt super excited about it since then, until now that is. Reading this just made me feel super excited for you and excited for the future of my running. I have a half in October, hopefully I can buckle down and get some quality training in for it. Congrats on such an awesome accomplishment!!

Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt August 15, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I would LOVE to do that race in PA, but my legs won’t be ready by then :( Maybe Boston next year!

alicia August 16, 2013 at 6:41 am

You inspire me so much ..you rock

Peachylau August 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm

This is an amazing time!

Caroline February 1, 2014 at 6:07 am

Just catching up on this…6 months late. Yikes :) Congrats on a really solid race here!