My glutes are on fire, a pit stop and Brooke’s fancy running outfit.

July 19, 2013

Some quality girl talk went down yesterday afternoon on our hike around The Dish.

The Dish is in Palo Alto and it is a 3 mile loop where you go up and down a total of 55,000 feet or something close to that.  My glutes are still burning.  Good thing today is another easy day of running…I better not be sore for my Saturday morning run (my first double digit run since FEBRUARY ((when I hurt my IT Band))!!!

Brooke wanted to show off her fancy running outfit.  Target did it once again.

On the way home from our hike my cousin suggested a pit stop for Subway and I couldn’t turn her down.  We had the turkey/avocado/ranch sandwich.

I made sure I saved room for this incredible spread of food.  Every single thing I tried was absolutely amazing…especially that guac dip and the cake parfaits.

I went to another Favorite Things Party last night.  How it works is that everyone brings three of their favorite things (under $5).  You put your name in the bowl three times and then when it is your turn to tell about your favorite thing you pick three names out of the bowl to give your items to.

I scored.  I got a jamba juice gift certificate, Pride & Prejudice DVD and a photo album.

Happy Friday!  Make sure to eat some chocolate today to celebrate:)

emma @ a mom runs this town July 19, 2013 at 5:01 am

I’ve seen those running outfits in tARGET and I need to get G one! So cute. That party gives me an idea… thanks for sharing!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life July 19, 2013 at 5:01 am

I seriously die over Brooke’s running outfit. I need a girl next!

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness July 19, 2013 at 5:02 am

I love favorite things parties!! we did it a little differently, with a slightly different title, but same sort of thing. i like that names in the bowl thing. i’ll have to keep that in mind! and omg brooke could not look cuter in her workout gear!!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 19, 2013 at 5:02 am

Love Brooke’s running outfit!! The “my favorite things” party idea is such a great one. Good luck on your long run tomorrow!

Karien @ Running the Race July 19, 2013 at 5:03 am

Love that party idea! Brooke’s outfit is SOOOO cute :) !

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes July 19, 2013 at 5:04 am

Brooke’s outfit is precious! And no worries about chocolate… I don’t miss a day… ever.

Amy Lauren July 19, 2013 at 5:04 am

Okay, that favorite things party sounds like a super cool idea… now I’m thinking that I want to plan one of those someday! Great excuse to try new things.

Brooke’s little running outfit is so cute. I love the little outfits in Target, when I coached the 5-8 year old girls were always the cutest and best dressed bunch of runners because they would all wear those little bright outfits.

Subway is so delicious… a lot of people think it’s overrated but sometimes you can’t beat a $5-6 footlong.

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats July 19, 2013 at 5:05 am

I NEED to go to a favorite things party! They look like sooo much fun. Also, Brooke’s outfit is the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Abby @ Change of Pace July 19, 2013 at 5:05 am

Baby workout clothes are too much! When my neice wears running gear my heart explodes!
Good luck on your run tomorrow! The first long one back from injury is always the best!

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 19, 2013 at 5:06 am

I love the favorite things party idea! I know you guys have had it before.
I will definitely be eating some chocolate today! It’s Friday!

jan J July 19, 2013 at 5:06 am

So cute, little Brookey!
Fun party! I’m curious what you took as your favorite things?

Sarah @pickyrunner July 19, 2013 at 5:06 am

Such a cool party idea!! Brooke is going to skip the walking and go straight to running. I can feel it. Especially with cute outfits. She’ll be the star of the track team. Have a good long run! I miss it. I guess I learned my lesson about jumping back in too fast after injury.

Megan July 19, 2013 at 5:09 am

Brooke’s outfit is so adorable! Love it. Good luck on the double digits, I feel your pain!! I haven’t ran in 12 weeks and won’t be able to start for 6 more, woof.

Kari @ Running Ricig July 19, 2013 at 5:14 am

Those favorite things parties sound awesome!

That run sounds rough, but I would trade it for the weather we’ve been having any day. I think today it might even be too hot to run outside at all.

Colleen July 19, 2013 at 5:19 am

Best party theme ever! I’m starting it with my friends!

Corrine @ Eat Run Wine July 19, 2013 at 5:23 am

I love Brooke’s running outfit! So cute!! My first double digit run is tomorrow (Saturday) too! Since March :) Not because of an injury or anything, I just got lazy and had to re-build my mileage. I also went through a spin class phase- only spin class, every day of the week. My quads and glutes hated me…

Yay double-digit-run-Saturdays!! :)

Ellie @ DoubleTroubleRunning July 19, 2013 at 5:25 am

Chocolate – done!! Thanks for giving me permission. I was holding out til dessert for some strange reason.

Good luck on your double digit run! I bet you’ll be fab, and will tear it up with those super speedy times!

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama July 19, 2013 at 5:36 am

Love the favorite things party! Such a great idea. Isn’t it amazing how hiking will make you sore in ways that running never does? We are going a wedding in Maine next month, and then we’re staying for a week after. Looking forward to some glute-burning hikes!

Danielle @ Dani Cakes July 19, 2013 at 5:40 am

Mmmmm… Chocolate… That is definitely a way to celebrate Fridays. I am really liking that favorite-things party idea.

Have fun on your run tomorrow morning! That has got to be exciting to be back up there for mileage :)

YogaBritta July 19, 2013 at 5:54 am

I threw a Favorite Things party a few years ago and it was the best party ever. New Favorite party. Such a fun way to get together with friends. Here is a link to that post.

Tony K July 19, 2013 at 5:58 am

I’m new to the blog but I love that avocados made it twice into this post.

Jessica July 19, 2013 at 6:17 am

Your hike sounds amazing! Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley is my favorite movie ever!!! I have watched it a bazillion times. I love period movies like that. Hope you enjoy it!

Jessica

Mercedes July 19, 2013 at 6:20 am

So cool!! Actually I’m a little envious… it’s freezing down here at Buenos Aires, Argentina!!
Enjoy your summer!!
PS Brooke’s running clothes are awesome, I need an outfit for my daughter too! ;)

Linda July 19, 2013 at 6:24 am

Hi Janae,
Which waveriders are those? I love the color of them. I need a new pair.
I also just ordered a new pair of brooks pure connect 2. They are $60 at nordstroms anniversary sale if anyone is interested.
Thanks!

mary @ minutes per mile July 19, 2013 at 6:39 am

What?! Really! My favorite shoes. Going to go order some! Thank you1!!!

mary @ minutes per mile July 19, 2013 at 6:38 am

what a cute party idea! i’ve never tried hiking. always just running. maybe if i had a car/lived somewhere outside of a city i could do it more!

Kinsey July 19, 2013 at 6:45 am

The Dish is my favorite running route ever. I love how the hills are a serious challenge combined with the fun of flying downhill. I always try to beat my best time (33 minutes).

Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns July 19, 2013 at 6:50 am

Dang, I need to go to that Subway shop, the sandwich actually looks good and eatable. The sandwich shop where I live never quite makes them looking that presentable, they always look sad to me. Weird, when I woke up this morning, I thought to myself, “I think I need to eat some chocolate today”. Happy Friday :)

Linda @ running4two July 19, 2013 at 6:58 am

I love that party idea! Sounds so fun :).

My glutes are sore too….but not a good sore. I did a 7.5 mile run this morning and something is not feeling good in my right butt/hamstring area :(.

Happy Friday! I will most certaintly eat lots of chocolate today!

Rena July 19, 2013 at 7:02 am

so fun! what did you bring?

The Hungry Runner Girl July 19, 2013 at 7:23 am

Trader Joe’s goodies!

Lisa July 19, 2013 at 7:13 am

Her outfit is too cute for words.
The party sounds like such a fun idea.
Now I want to go to one;)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 19, 2013 at 7:14 am

Oh goodness, SUCH a cute little outfit on Brooke! Sounds like a fun party!

Deana July 19, 2013 at 7:26 am

That little outfit from Target is killing me! Love it! It will be even better when Brooke starts toddling around ;)

Hope you have a great double digit run tomorrow!!

I am looking to do 6 miles this weekend.

Marie July 19, 2013 at 7:27 am

Brooke is seriously adorable, I can’t even handle it! Good luck on the double digit run tomorrow!! I love this Favorite Things Party idea!!

Katie @ Bevo Loves an Aggie July 19, 2013 at 7:40 am

I want to do one of those parties with my friends! It’s such a great idea!

Rachel July 19, 2013 at 7:48 am

That running outfit melts my heart! I think I need to buy my new niece one!

Lauren July 19, 2013 at 7:55 am

I love the theme of this party! Such a good idea! I think it’s the little things which make things more special. And Brooke’s running outfit is ADORABLE. I love how Target has everything.

Andrea R. @ Morning Runner Girl July 19, 2013 at 8:20 am

why dont my friends throw reawlly awesome parties like that?!?!?!

And you just made me want to go hiking so so sooo badly! I love to hike! Trying to take some time off from running/workingout in order to gain some weight and get a healthy perspective, so hiking around for fun sounds wonderful!! Too bad I live in Indiana where trails are sub-par!!

Barb Maubach July 19, 2013 at 8:24 am

HRG –
Question for you. My daughter’s are running the rock & roll half in Chicago this Sunday. One daughter’s place of employment will pay some of the entry fee if she writes the establishment’s name on her arms (free publicity). She is wondering what to use that will not rub off/smear/ run. Someone suggested…sharpie followed by liquid bandaid. Have you ever used anything like this or know something that might work well! Btw…I LOVE your blog. I don’t run myself but daughters do. I get so much great stuff from you. Thanks!
Barb Maubach
Bloomington il

Courtney July 19, 2013 at 8:24 am

I love that party idea – so fun!!

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run July 19, 2013 at 8:34 am

Brooke’s outfit is adorable! Also that favorite things party is such a cute idea. I want to do something like that!

Odette July 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

Everytime I read your post, I always think the same thing. ‘Why don’t I have a running buddy?’
Everyone I know hates running. Meh.

Christina July 19, 2013 at 8:58 am

A Favorite Things party sounds amazing. I have never been to one!

Heather @ Run Like a G! July 19, 2013 at 9:02 am

Love the idea of this party! I need to throw one :)
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RUN TOMORROW! WHOOP WHOOP!!!

michelle kim July 19, 2013 at 9:04 am

Hahaha 55,000 ft elevation change! I’ll have to check it out one day for a hike.
Love Brooke’s running outfit (and she seems really happy about it, hehe).

Amy @ Long Drive Journey July 19, 2013 at 9:13 am

Yay good luck on your run tomorrow! Those favorite things parties sound like so much fun. You got some good stuff!

Lisa Schader July 19, 2013 at 9:26 am

Thanks again for coming!! It was so fun to have you and Brooke there. P.s. Her running outfit is seriously adorable overload.

Ashlee@HisnHers July 19, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thats such a cute idea! I want to come :-)

Miranda @ Miranda Runs July 19, 2013 at 9:32 am

Hiking is the best! It’s personally my favorite way to exercise. Only when it’s sunny, though ;) Brooke is too cute! Her little running outfit is adorable.

Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead July 19, 2013 at 9:42 am

Good luck on your run tomorrow! It’s always so much fun to get back into double digits after time off. I love the idea of a favorite things party!

Nelly July 19, 2013 at 9:52 am

I love the Dish, I used to do it almost every day since I used to work close to there. Such a good hill workout, and great views too. I miss that run.

Lydia July 19, 2013 at 10:00 am

awwww Brooke’s little running outfit is adorbs!!! :) :)

Sonia the Mexigarian July 19, 2013 at 10:02 am

Sweet Lady almighty, Brooke is just too much cuteness overload! She rocks her new running outfit :) I have never been to the dish before. bad bay area resident. bad. your “favorite things party” sounds like fun! does the favorite things have to be store bought or homemade?

wishing you a fun strong run tomorrow!!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 19, 2013 at 10:12 am

Brooke’s running outfit is the cutest things I have ever seen! You can bet my children will have many outfits like this one day! Good luck on your double digit run tomorrow – I will be running one as well along with you!

Sheena July 19, 2013 at 10:17 am

This sounds like a fabulous little party! I’ve never heard of these before, but I might have to start hanging out in San Jose because it looks like that’s where the party’s at!

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona July 19, 2013 at 10:49 am

I love Pride and Prejudice too! Which DVD did you get? My favorite version is definitely the one with Colin Firth.

Fizz @fizzsbizz July 19, 2013 at 10:58 am

I kind of want Brooke’s running outfit. I swear so many times I wish they made little kid stuff in adult size — so cute!

Emily @ Running for Boston July 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

I love the favorite things idea! So cute, I definitely will have to do it next time I plan a party!

BTW, wish me luck, I’m running a half marathon race on Sunday!

Laura July 19, 2013 at 11:32 am

I bought my friends daughter a few of those outfits from Target, she loves them!

Kay July 19, 2013 at 11:34 am

I LOVE this idea for a party, that’s so fun!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom July 19, 2013 at 11:57 am

I love the idea of a Favorite Things party! It would be great for a bridal shower or just a girls night! Thanks for the idea :)

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners July 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Target really does have great running outfits for big and little people!
I love the “my favorite things” themed parties you go to…I really need to make more friends so that I can start hosting this party!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 19, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Her running outfit is sooo cute!

Have fun on your double digit run tomorrow <3

Tabaitha Kaye July 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Love Brook’s outfit! Target is the best!

Team Orphans July 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Her outfit is darling!!!!! Love it!!!!!
Hungry Runner Girl and Little Runner Girl!

Melissa @mypeachlife July 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Love the favorite things idea! I want to join!!!

LosingLindy July 19, 2013 at 7:15 pm

what a great idea!

Amy July 19, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I love to see the posts on the “Favorite Things” party. Maybe I should consider hosting one!

J @ semplicemente ... j July 20, 2013 at 3:03 am

Adorable outfit. Good luck on your Saturday run!

Zaneta July 20, 2013 at 7:23 am

Good luck on your first double digit run since you got injured!!! I can’t wait til I can say the same thing! This no running thing kinda sucks…

april July 20, 2013 at 9:45 am

i love brooke’s running outfit! now all she needs are some baby brooks running shoes and she’s all set :)

Reese Runs July 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm

That sounds like a fun idea for a party!!

Luv What You Do July 20, 2013 at 3:55 pm

What a great idea for a party! I have never heard of such a thing but I LOVE it!

Amy N. July 22, 2013 at 7:53 am

I need to throw a party like that. Sounds so fun.

That’s some serious hill work! Insane!