Just 2 requests and the best fortune ever.

July 9, 2013

Direct quote from a text message my mom sent me last week:

“When I come to California to visit you I have two requests.  Sourdough.  Ghirardelli.”

I could never disappoint my own mother so I did the selfless thing and ate sourdough and Ghirardelli with her.

PS do you like our twinner outfits?

Sourdough in the form of a grilled cheese sandwich for her and a pesto chicken sandwich for me.  I always get mad at myself for forgetting about pesto because if I could simply just remember it then I would eat it way more often.

Our next stop had Brooke licking her lips the entire time.

Rocky Road Sundae and I am pretty sure the kind people making the sundae knew I needed extra hot fudge yesterday so they just went ahead and loaded that baby up.

By the way my mom took the picture of the sundae, she is quite the food photographer if you ask me.

And just because.  DSC 4742

Double just because.  We walked along the water for a long time before heading down to Palo Alto to go walk around the Stanford outdoor mall.

My mom’s sister (my aunt that we always get to be with) lives in Palo Alto so we got to go have a big family dinner there just like the good old days when I lived in Utah.   My aunt always makes or orders in the best food for our dinner and last night we had Chinese and the shrimp in the background were addicting.  And in case you were wondering my fortune cookie said, “You will never get a running injury again, you will be super fast with some hard work and you will win the lottery very soon.”

No waking up at dawn for me today because my mom is here so that means I have someone to watch Brooke while I go for a run.  My goal is to get 10 hours of sleep.  No, make that 11.

What is going to be the best part about your Tuesday?

Favorite city ever to go visit?

Hot fudge or caramel on your sundae (or both or peanut butter)?

The cherry on top of sundaes…delicious or skip it?

-I skip it.  It just cannot even compare to the goodness of the ice-cream below.

mary @ minutes per mile July 9, 2013 at 5:03 am

I love visiting San Francisco, Chicago, and Indianapolis! That ice cream sundae looks delish. I usually go caramel but IMO there’s no going wrong with any toppings when it comes to ice cream

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes July 9, 2013 at 5:04 am

The best part was the the new baby in our family!!! Caramel all the way! When I come to visit these will also be my two requests :-)

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness July 9, 2013 at 5:05 am

I love the cherry- in fact most of the time I’ll request 2 :) favorite city to visit- nyc! i used to live there so now its where most of my friends live. however, i should probably start visiting more cities :)

Sarah @pickyrunner July 9, 2013 at 5:07 am

Skip the cherry?! Are you nuts?! That’s like my favorite part and I always ask for a little extra juice to pour on it too. I’m a big fan of Shirley temples for that reason. Caramel is my favorite. Oh and so are chicken pesto sandwiches. I learned about that in Denmark and my god I miss those things.

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick July 9, 2013 at 5:09 am

I’m glad your mom is there, it’s so nice when my parents visit because my kids want their attention so I get to drink a cup of coffee before it gets cold! I used to love cherries on top of my ice cream until I read
An article on how they are made so unless I buy them myself
nd they are organic, I skip them.

Shari July 9, 2013 at 5:14 am

My favorite city to visit is Atlanta. I adore it there!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats July 9, 2013 at 5:19 am

I don’t like cherries so I always skip. And fudge is definitely the winner of that battle!

Molly July 9, 2013 at 5:20 am

The best part of Tuesday is going to be that I get to hang out with my cousins and their kids. My fave city to hang out in is Nashville. I wouldn’t turn down either hot fudge or caramel. And I love the cherry!

Maribeth @ LOVEmyHANDLES July 9, 2013 at 5:22 am

I love traveling, but my favorite places I’ve gone so far would have to be Hawaii, Rio de Janeiro, and New York City(even though I live less than a mile away). I love how relaxed Hawaii is and how beautiful and nature-y it is. Rio has such great people and lots to do. And nothing in this world could be as great as New York is.

Basically I like nice beaches, hot weather, not wearing pants, a fun nightlife, museums, nature, and places that won’t close at 9pm for dinner.

Sprinkles on my sundae or large chunks of brownie and cookie dough!

Enjoy your time with your mom!

Kari @ Running Ricig July 9, 2013 at 5:22 am

I love visiting Nashville, then again, when we went in June it was almost too hot to move, so maybe I’ll just stick to visiting during the “cooler” months.

I don’t usually get sundaes. I just go straight for the ice cream.

Erica July 9, 2013 at 5:24 am

I am more a mountains than a city girl, but Paris definitely stole my heart. I had a long weekend in Austin that also was a favorite.

Have so.much.fun with your mom!!!!

Leigha July 9, 2013 at 5:25 am

Pesto is sooo good. If it’s on the menu I usually order whatever it is. The only real big city I’ve been to is NYC and I loved it. As for toppings… it depends on the ice cream below. I can never make a decision.

Corrine @ Eat Run Wine July 9, 2013 at 5:25 am

What is going to be the best part about your Tuesday? Tuesday- my double runs while probably be the best part. That and relaxing on the couch with my husband afterwards! 3 mile run before work this morning and 4 or 5 miles after work- hard to beat that happiness! :)

Favorite city ever to go visit? This is hard because my favorite cities are all in Europe. London is probably my top favorite, but Strasbourg, Munich, Cinque Terre, Prague and Rome are all up there too. Locally though, my favorite cities to visit are Charleston and Washington DC :)

Hot fudge or caramel on your sundae (or both or peanut butter)? All. Everything. When I let myself eat ice cream (lactose intolerant over here can’t eat it often, and the fake stuff just isn’t the same)- I go all out!

Except the cherries. I don’t like cherries, so I skip them. They’re too squishy.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles July 9, 2013 at 5:27 am

If I come visit you in California, do I get sourdough and Ghiradelli? :P Sounds like a fantastic time, especially being able to sleep a little more. :) Yes a million times to the cherry on top of sundaes. I’ll fight anyone who tries to get in the way of me and my cherries. (Confession: I put a ton of those cherries on top of my froyo. Almost every single time.)

Erin @ The Grass Skirt July 9, 2013 at 5:28 am

My favorite city to visit is definitely Chicago. The pizza is the stuff dreams are made of. :)

HollieisFueledByLOLZ July 9, 2013 at 5:30 am

Tell your mom with those sorts of food photography skills she should get her own blog. ;) She and I also have about the same requests whenever I come to CA. I top my sundaes with about 100 cherries…I’m really not joking…cherries are my favorite part. Well then the ice cream but I just like to make sure there are at least 15-20 cherries.

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 9, 2013 at 5:30 am

Hot fudge AND Caramel of course!
My favorite city to visit so far was New Orleans. So much amazing culture.
That is probably my favorite picture of Brooke I’ve seen. (licking her lips one) Adorable!

Wendy @ New Moms Talk July 9, 2013 at 5:31 am

Right now is the best part of my day. I have successfully showered, cleaned the bathroom, packed 2 boxes for our upcoming move, eaten breakfast, and am now sitting on the porch looking at the gorgeous skies over the mountains. It’s not even 640 am!

Favorite city depends on my mood and desires, but I’ll say Pittsburgh as I lived there for many years and I love it! What beats the hills, the food, the people, the culture, the art, the music of Pittsburgh? Oh, and the great trails to run on- Laurel Highlands 70 anyone?

My hub always saves me the cherry and much of the whipped cream. In return, he gets most of the ice cream. It works just dandy for us!

Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now July 9, 2013 at 5:35 am

I GET TO HORSEBACK RIDE TODAY!!!

Chincoteague

CARAMEL with a cherry :)

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 9, 2013 at 5:48 am

You and your mom are the cutest…. well, and Brooke too, of course, but that goes without saying! Pesto is delicious. I need to remember it more often, also. Have another great day with your mom!

Lindsey July 9, 2013 at 5:48 am

Going for breakfast with my co-workers!
I loved San Francisco, but also love Phoenix.
Hot fudge, no cherry and preferably with fries on the side to dip into my sundae ;)

Amanda July 9, 2013 at 5:50 am

I want that fortune cookie. The highlight of my tuesday will be the awesome yoga class im about to go to

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 9, 2013 at 5:52 am

I like marshmallow cream on my sundae does that count?! especailly the ones at Dairy Queen :)

Honestly for this Tuesday when it is over! I have a very long day ahead :)

Julie @ Coastal Runner Girl July 9, 2013 at 5:57 am

Definitely hot fudge and peanut butter!

Btw, my blog post from this morning includes a homemade pesto recipe. It’s so good and easy to make! You should check it out. :D

Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns July 9, 2013 at 6:04 am

Love your twinning outfits :) OMG lol that picture of Brooke licking her lips is too adorable! Best part of my Tuesday will be getting these sprints over with!!! I would put, caramel, hot fudge, and peanut butter all on it. And don’t forget the whipped cream!! Can’t have a cherry without whipped cream :)

Lindsey July 9, 2013 at 6:07 am

My Tuesday is going to be great! I get to have a haircut and I could have a baby today! No big deal.

Jen @ milesandblessings July 9, 2013 at 6:07 am

That picture of Brooke licking her lips for the ice cream is GREAT!!! That must have been what I was like as a baby because I LOVE ice cream. HOt fudge for sure and no cherry. I am with you on it taking away from the ice cream :)

runningwithscissors July 9, 2013 at 6:26 am

No cherry but hot fudge and peanut butter please!
Fave part about Tuesday….um……..nothing grand. Tuesday is always the first day of the work week for me. Yuck!

Emily @ Running for Boston July 9, 2013 at 6:33 am

Today will be a good day – I can feel it! I’m not sure what the best part of it will be but I’m excited to find out!

Cherries are crucial to sundaes-although I agree with you that the deliciousness is really underneath!

Therese July 9, 2013 at 6:36 am

Love the cherry-and New York is my favorite because it’s going home. I do love San Francisco AND we just visited Seattle and that was pretty awesome too. I’m just a fan of cities in general, I love the vibe.

Leah @ Running with the Hayneses July 9, 2013 at 6:39 am

I know those marachino cherries are soaked in all kind of bad stuff, but I feel like a sundae just wouldn’t be a sundae without them. Love the picture of Brooke licing her lips! :)

Andrea R. @ Morning Runner Girl July 9, 2013 at 6:45 am

those foods look delicious!!!!
I hate cherries!!!

Favorite city to visit is any european city… of any western usa city :)

pb and caramel please!!!

Anne July 9, 2013 at 6:48 am

Haha it is just too wonderful when your Mom is equally obsessed with delicious food as you are :)

Picking a favorite city is kind of like picking a favorite food or candy, absolutely impossible. Right now if I had to pick I’d say Sorrento, where my family is on vacation!

Katie @ Bevo Loves an Aggie July 9, 2013 at 6:52 am

You and your mom look so cute together in your twin outfits! I hate cherries on a sundae, but I looooove caramel! Soooo good!

Cathryn July 9, 2013 at 6:53 am

My favorite city is Tokyo…it’s AMAZING! And I always have the hot fudge sundaes at Ghiradelli! Such a treat!

Crystal@TheFastFitRunner July 9, 2013 at 6:54 am

Lucky lady to have family located in such geographically desirable locations! Weather looks just amazing. Hope you get some nice runs in.

leigh @ beach and back runner July 9, 2013 at 6:54 am

My favorite city to visit is definitely Boston! I dont like cherries but LOVE chocolate syrup on sundaes. Best part about my Tuesday is sleeping in… worst part is working the night shift instead.

Allison July 9, 2013 at 6:55 am

Definitely hot fudge with PB or peanuts. Can’t be beat! You and your mom matching is so cute and Brooke is the cutest! Looks like a fun day!

Amy @ Long Drive Journey July 9, 2013 at 6:55 am

Those pictures are beautiful! Favorite city to visit – San Francisco. I’ve only been once but it was beautiful, and I remember San Fran being COOL in the summertime (at least in the mornings) – unheard of in Louisiana!

Katherine July 9, 2013 at 6:57 am

Well you couldn’t just disappoint your mom now could you? :)
P.S. Brooke is so adorable. You could seriously dedicate a blog to her and pictures of her and I would read it.

What is going to be the best part about your Tuesday? There’s only 1 day until I fly to North Carolina and see my Grandparents for the first time since last June!

Favorite city ever to go visit? Love London/Paris!

Hot fudge or caramel on your sundae (or both or peanut butter)? Um everything! :)(love me some toppings!)

The cherry on top of sundaes…delicious or skip it? Eh, it depends on the day and how I’m feeling. Usually it’s a big YES though!

KP July 9, 2013 at 7:02 am

I love New Orleans– it is the most unique place near us, heck we even honeymooned there! (we’re dorks and went to the zoo, aquarium and things like that though hah) My name even came from there, my parents met an artist with the same name and fell in love with it, and chose it when I was adopted!

I am a hot fudge girl (actually had a craving for this reading it! Alas, it is waaayy too early in the morning, but maybe later!), and I LOVE cherries (real ones or the maraschinos) but hubs hates them, so I always get double if we get ice cream or a shake! :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 9, 2013 at 7:04 am

Hot fudge AND peanut butter on my sundaes! Definitely a no on the caramel…not a fan. And I skip the cherry!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 9, 2013 at 7:10 am

My mom and I always end up with similar outfits without planning it. It’s so weird!

Amy @ Rum Mom Run July 9, 2013 at 7:15 am

Caramel and/or peanut butter. I love chocolate but not hot fudge. Weird. No cherry.

Those sandwiches look amazing. I love pesto!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 9, 2013 at 7:17 am

it is all about the hot fudge on the sundae…although, I always eat the cherry!

Meaghan @ Tale of Two Teachers July 9, 2013 at 7:18 am

1. Playing softball in the sunshine tonight!!

2. Tofino, BC (most beautiful place on earth in case you haven’t been!!) Seattle and San Diego make close second/thirds…

3. Hot fudge for sure!!! I love the hot and cold together!

4. Always skip it… Not a fan of those cherries at all!

Kristi July 9, 2013 at 7:23 am

I have the same expression as Brooke when I’m around ice cream.

Kay July 9, 2013 at 7:24 am

Mmm what a delicious day! I did the exact same thing last time I was in SF haha. I also go to the Boudin stand in the SFO airport before I head back- so good!

Lauren July 9, 2013 at 7:27 am

What a perfect fortune cookie! The best part about my Tuesday is baking cookies later. I definitely love hot fudge and peanut butter on my sundaes (reeses style)! I like the cherries but I always eat them first because I don’t like the maraschino flavoring to ruin my entire sundae!

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona July 9, 2013 at 7:29 am

The absolute best thing to put on sourdough bread is leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. It’s an amazing combination.

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners July 9, 2013 at 7:33 am

Enjoy your time with your mom!

Allyson July 9, 2013 at 7:36 am

Totally all about the hot fudge and no cherry. Why ruin a good thing?

Favorite city? I have so many! Seattle, Boston, NYC, DC, London, Paris, Munich, Salzburg….

Ashley July 9, 2013 at 7:43 am

I can’t get over the fact that you skip the cherry! I would steal the cherry off a random child’s sundae, that’s how important the cherry is!

Linda @ running4two July 9, 2013 at 7:49 am

Best part of my Tuesday…hanging out at home with my baby girl after work tonight!

Favorite city…Vegas! and Orlando…I love Disney World.

Hot fudge all the way! And I can skip the cherry, but if I happen to get one, I won’t let it go to waste.

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama July 9, 2013 at 7:54 am

What an awesome fortune! Best part of my Tuesday will be taking my daughter to the summer track meet and watching her face light up as she pounds down the track and collects her ribbons.

Love caramel on my sundaes. And a little whipped cream never hurts!

Kinsey July 9, 2013 at 7:54 am

Next time you’re in Palo Alto, head to Indochine on Middlefield. It is the best Thai food in the area, their lunches are incredible!

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run July 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

This is sad, but the best part of my Tuesday is that ALL of the laundry in my house will be DONE! I feel like I’m constantly playing catch up with the laundry and the very last load is in the dryer right now!

My favorite city to visit is Orlando, right now. We go to Disney a lot with our little ones and seeing how happy they are there makes me so happy.

Hot fudge and peanut butter on my sundae’s, pretty please! Definitely a cherry on top!

april July 9, 2013 at 8:06 am

i’m glad you’re having such a fun time with your mom! i love the twin outfits, although i think brooke is slightly jealous that she isn’t matching the two of you :)

Brooke @ Running In Heels July 9, 2013 at 8:16 am

You and your mom are the most adorable twinners ever!

Nancy July 9, 2013 at 8:22 am

- going home after work
- Chicago (my oldest lived there for awhile)
- always a cherry on top
- I do love PB but not on my sundae, HOT FUDGE

You sure have a special relationship with your Mom, and look at that beautiful smile Brooke has for her!!

Enjoy your time!

Kay July 9, 2013 at 8:23 am

LOVE that picture of Brooke licking her lips she is so funny.
I like DC but I think my favorite city to visit is anywhere that it’s my first time!
Fudge sundaes, I’m not a huge fan of caramel. Yes to the cherry

Mark Matthews July 9, 2013 at 8:24 am

Boulder or Asheville tops on my list.

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom July 9, 2013 at 8:25 am

Meetin my coworker for Costa Rica today will be the best part of my Tuesday! I’m excited and we’re going to be BFFs because I sent her a text this morning that most people would have thought was weird and she just responded “we are going to get along so well.”

Hot fudge. And I eat the cherry, but usually last.

Annette@FitnessPerks July 9, 2013 at 8:27 am

Mmmmm pesto chicken sammy sounds deeeelish!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 9, 2013 at 8:30 am

omg I LOVE cherries, although usually I find them in drinks. I’m that person who always asks people for their cherries…

Blaire @ Just Been Running July 9, 2013 at 8:36 am

Favorite city to go visit= San Francisco :) So jealous right now!

I absolutely love hot fudge, it’s my favorite! We got a Nob Hill Chill when we went to Ghirardelli and it was amazing!!

I LOVE THE CHERRY ON TOP, but the ice cream is the best part :)

Deana July 9, 2013 at 8:38 am

Love Caramel on Ice Cream, although I love Hot fudge on ice cream too…I rarely ever do these together though…I should fix that. :) Also I always try to snitch the cherry on top before anyone else can get it.

I love traveling, can’t pick a favorite city!

If I can pull out making dinner and getting a run in tonight, that would be the best of my Tuesday!

Christina @StinaOnTheMove July 9, 2013 at 9:17 am

Signing up for a gym membership was the best part of the day!!!

I liked Oslo and Paris, but my favorite U.S. city so far is NYC.

Hot fudge.
And no to the cherry.

I hope you have an amazing time with your mom (and on your “well rested run”!).

Debbie @ DebRuns July 9, 2013 at 9:24 am

I love the picture of Brooke licking her lips! Love the hot fudge and caramel, but I’ve got to say no to the peanut butter on a sundae!

michelle kim July 9, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hot fudge and PB on my sundae sounds awesome!
And my favorite city to visit would probably have to be Vegas… I love all the buffets and finding deals out there!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs July 9, 2013 at 9:28 am

I love Brisbane and Sydney. I’ve only been to Australia once but I LOVED it there. :) Ps you guys are too cute twinning!

Fizz @fizzsbizz July 9, 2013 at 9:49 am

The best part of my Tuesday will be my appointment with my chiro. Hoping to get these hip issues fixed!

I loved Prague. It was so unbelievably beautiful and different.

Jen July 9, 2013 at 9:57 am

Favorite part of this Tuesday my stroller run/walk with my baby and dog. Love those 2 running partners.

Hot fudge for sure altho caramel mixed in wouldn’t make me say no :-)

Favorite city so far to visit is Breckenridge Colorado. I love it there winter or summer.

Odette July 9, 2013 at 10:14 am

All the ice creams in your posts make my belly rumble. Even if I’ve just eaten and am extremely full. Thank you for this :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 9, 2013 at 10:22 am

The best part of my Tuesday is all the Grey’s Anatomy I’m watching. I’m home sick, so I’m getting my fair share of tv-watching in.

Teresa@The Chronicles of a {Not So} Supermom July 9, 2013 at 11:15 am

Hot fudge for sure!!! And no cherry, ugh

FYI I just read that it is National Sugar Cookie Day! You need to bake some cookies with your mom and Brooke!

Jazz July 9, 2013 at 11:16 am

Best part of my tuesday will be going to bed… only got 4h last night.

Fav city to visit is Traverse City in Michigan!

Hate the cherry on top! And would take caramel and chocolate on top!

Theresa July 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

Have so much fun with your mom! So glad you had a sunny day when you came up for Sourdough and Ghirardelli!

Dana July 9, 2013 at 11:49 am

You’re adorable! I want that Chinese food now! Tuesday is just work and looking forward to just relaxing at home and possibly getting Chinese for din-din now! I also plan to go to bed way earlier than midnight like last night. I tend to try and squeeze way too many things in in one day.

Favorite city EVER is Chicago ( when it’s warm of course)!

I love caramel sauce AND hot fudge on my ice cream. Totally agree about the cherry!

Traci July 9, 2013 at 11:51 am

My favorite part of today will be 4:30 when I get off work & can get some FROYO!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Los Angeles! Caramel & skip the cherry!

Nicole July 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm

My best part of today is dropping off a cookie/brownie order to a client for my little baking business. :)

Right now, I’ll say “Seattle” because that’s where my cutie-pie nephews live!

Hot Fudge…..yes!! I’m entered in an ice cream eating contest on July 21 – I hope I win the grand prize by finishing first: a year of free ice cream!

Cherry-on-top…..ehhh, I’ll eat it, but wouldn’t mind if it were missing!

Patti Smith July 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm

My favorite part of today will be a trip to Lowe’s I have planned for later today…buying more outside lights and a battery operated weed eater!!

Favorite cities – NYC and Boston. Wouldn’t want to live either place but love to visit.

Hot fudge and caramel…and nuts…no cherries (hate ‘em).

Running Rosa July 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hot fudge all the way! And Ghiradelli’s does it right. Now I want to drive to San Francisco and get one of those awesome sundaes.

Doni July 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm

New Orleans, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Cologne, Vancouver BC, Washington, DC, and SF (but I live here, so I get to visit all the time). I know that’s more than one, but I really can’t narrow it down.

Fudge, Caramel, Peanut Butter, bring it ALL. We’ve taken our family to Ghirardelli and noshed on the “Earthquake”. Eight scoops of ice cream of your choosing and all the different toppings, etc.. Probably too big for two adults and a Brooke though.

I make grilled cheese with pesto frequently. It’s a winner.

Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. July 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm

For me, my requests would be 1) MEXICAN and more MEXICAN and 2) In n Out BURGER

YUM

Hayley in Training July 9, 2013 at 6:49 pm

That sundae looks DIVIIIIINE! :D and how could you ever forget about pesto??

Carson July 9, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Caramel for sure… and definitely skip the cherry!

PS- Leave it to your blog to always leave me hungry…

Holly KN July 10, 2013 at 3:28 am

Favorite city: VANCOUVER. Although Athens is pretty fantastic, too.

Ice Cream Sundaes: Hot fudge, definitely. Cherry, no way. Do you know how maraschino cherries are made? It’s gross. In place of the cherry, I’ll take some extra whipped cream, please! :)