9 of my favorite things today.

July 19, 2013

I guess I am just in the mood for favorite things lately.

1.  4 EASY and relaxed miles today.  I found the perfect 4 mile loop (loops > out and back routes) which made me extremely happy because the loop ended right at 4.00 miles.

2.  I am a people person.  I love being around people as much as possible BUT one of my absolute favorite times of the day is when I am sitting on the ground in front of the fan by myself, stretching, drinking water and stalking you on my phone via blogs/instagram/twitter/facebook after a run.

3.  Brooke’s beach outfit for today.  It is from Royal Gem Clothing and they have the absolute cutest stuff.  She was too busy texting her friends to look at the camera.

DSC 5160 4.  I made more s’mores bars and my cousin and I have been eating them straight out of the pan.  These definitely makes the favorites list.

5.  My rather be running shirt that I probably won’t take off for a few days.

Photo

6.  Brooke starts clapping the second I start singing, ‘If you’re happy and you know it…”  It is proven to make anyone watching her do this smile.

7.  I have a cup full of guacamole from the party last night sitting in my fridge waiting for me to devour.

8.  My rose gold watch from WatchCo and here are the Nixon Watches!  Gold has always been my favorite but the rose gold wins.  Garmin needs to make the 305 in rose gold.

DSC 5163 9.  This motivational quote:

Photo 2

BE STRONG TODAY (and tomorrow and the next day).

—————————————————————————————

What are some of your favorite things today?

Do you usually run loops or out and back routes when you run?

Are you a watch person?

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes July 19, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I love loops! Out and backs are good for mental toughness though! I agree with you on rose gold, love it! I’m not obsessed with watches but Joe is! He thinks he needs a Rolex… I’m like um car>rolex! Sorry babe!

Victoria @ My Bright Pink Runners July 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I was strong last night when I did my 5K. Today is rest and hide from the heat day! P.S. Brooke’s wardrobe keeps making me want a girl.

Lisa July 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I love when I finish runs, walks, or bike rides on the perfect amount of mileage, somehow it makes me feel better about the day. Maybe that’s just my OCD.
Smores bars sound amazing! Yum.
And I can’t believe you have a cup full of guac in the fridge. I swear I never have leftovers of that stuff, it’s too darn hard to resist.

Lauren July 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I love that there’s a storm coming in tonight in Chicago…that means cooler temps tomorrow for my college graduation bbq! :)

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama July 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I wear my trusty Timex Ironman watch all the time. Great for speedwork on the track and laps in the pool. Although, the more I read about Garmin, the more I want to try one!

Today my husband and I ran a crazy series of loops on an 11-mile trail run. It was WAY to hot to be out (we went at lunch time), and I felt like I was melting.

Love Brooke’s outfit! Will have to check out Royal Gem. And isn’t it funny how much little ones love to play with phones. My 15 m/o LOVES to play with our phones and the remote.

Cathryn July 19, 2013 at 2:08 pm

My favourite things about today?

1) The discovery that an entire bottle of wine fits in a camelbak! (Off camping).

2) My little boy spending an hour talking to himself under the desk.

3) Bob’s Red Mill old fashioned muesli. Lunch, sorted

Happy Weekend, Janae

x

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick July 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm

ooh, wine in a camelbak! Great idea!

Katie July 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I definitely am a watch person! I am always wearing my digital Timex, Garmin, or my fancy silver watch from Swatch! I’ve been this way since I was in elementary school (I was a super cool kid).

Irene July 19, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Brooke and her electronics! She is definitely going to be an engineer.

Favorite things:
1. It is friday
2. I am going to sleep a lot tonight
3. I think we are going to go to Dairy Queen later

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick July 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Now I want a Smores Blizzard in a dipped cone, have you tried those?

Irene July 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I am obsessed with the Smores Blizzard! It is pretty likely that’s what I’m going to get! No cone for me though, I don’t really like them:)

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick July 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Irene I’ve skipped the cone the last two times so I could get the size M lol. I’m saving some calories so that means I can have more ice cream right???

Karen July 19, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Favorite things today = hubby taking the day off + 10 hot and humid miles today instead of tomorrow + quality beach time + watching daughter surf some big girl waves + watermelon margaritas!!!

I run loops whenever possible…something about out and back bores me to tears. Today’s loop included running through as many sprinklers as possible, which added to the fun factor!

I’m a watch person until the battery dies. Then I’m not a watch person for several months or years until I either replace the battery or someone buys me a new watch.

Sarah @pickyrunner July 19, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Yum. S’mores brownies. I swear every time you make them I remind myself I need to try it. Love that shirt. I could use some more fun tanks!

Lauren July 19, 2013 at 2:20 pm

My favorite things today are air conditioning, mint tea, Elmo, and a massage. Always out and back routes because I like to run on trails and the only ones around here are straight-a-ways. I used to wear watches ALL the time but now the only thing I can stand around my wrist is a hair tie.

Presh July 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Ahhh who doesn’t LOVE a good massage!

Rene Hall July 19, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Not a watch person. I had to get one for nursing school so I went to Walmart and got a $10 watch, complete with Velcro strap.
Favorite things: boot camp, hair appt, and take out for dinner.

Amy July 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm

One of my favorite things today was lunch– fried chicken and waffles & the best Mac aroni and cheese. The lunch made up for a not fun trail run that had so many bugs in high heat and humidity.

Love Brooke’s bathing suit!

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick July 19, 2013 at 2:32 pm

My favorite things today have been:
1. watching Izzy run into her dads arms when he got home from work and saying “daddy I wuv you!”
2. Painting with Izzy and showing her how mixing primary colors can make new colors and seeing the amazement in her eyes.
3. Hearing my moms voice on the phone.
4. My husband brushing up against my boob and making seem like it was an accident. It makes me feel like he still notices and thinks I’m attractive. I love that man!
5. Featuring a reader on my blog and knowing how happy it made her. I love how you can brighten someones day with a simple act of kindness. We all want to know we are appreciated and loved and I ‘m glad I have the opportunity to do it.
6. I love that it’s Friday and I can snuggle up next to my hubby tonight and watch friends reruns…we are so lame, but it’s what we love to do!

Sarah F. July 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Some favorites for today…
1. Sleeping in
2. Swimming with my husband
3. Finishing my run. I should have enjoyed the “during” part more, but it was sooo hot that I was really glad to be done. I was able to run on a really nice trail though, which provided some shade.
4. Blasting the A/C in the car on the way home
5. An evening with friends

I think I prefer loops most of the time, but there are days when an out and back seems better/more fun/easier/shorter. Sometimes when I do out and back runs, I get all competitive with myself and try to beat my time on the way back, which can be good unless I need/want an easy run.

Miranda @ Miranda Runs July 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Favorite things about today:
1) scheduling meetings with potential wedding photographers
2) testing out my new Polar FT4 heart rate monitor
3) Pinterest stalking wedding ideas
4) looking through countless wedding magazines

Presh July 19, 2013 at 2:36 pm

My run from this morning was a favorite thing of the day! I did 30 mins of sprints. 30 secs on 30 sec off. It was surprisingly beautiful weather this morning so it made it a great run! I like watches. Don’t wear them as often though. That smores thing looks sooo good!

Carson July 19, 2013 at 2:36 pm

My favorite thing right now is that I am off work for 7 days and my husband is off for 3 days so we are probably gonna party it up! (and by party it up, I mean eat a lot, run a lot, sleep a lot).

I love loops but usually run out and backs because running routes are limited where I live.

I am for sure a watch person. When not wearing my Garmin, I either wear a $10 Target watch with a Kavu band to work or my favorite gold Michael Kors boyfriend watch.

Kristen @ Medium Roast July 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I, too, am a big fan of the perfect distance loop. I’ve been running a perfect 3.11 loop to the park and back, and it’s my favorite course. And I totally love that tshirt!

Running Rosa July 19, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I love Brooke’s outfit. I want one for myself!

My favorite thing today is being done with my long run for the week (14 miles). For some reason I was really nervous about it, even though I’ve done the exact distance tons of times before. Weird.

I also had sushi as my post-run refueling meal. So good. But now I’m ready for a nap.

Karen July 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I still get a nervous stomach every time I run double digit miles…when will it end?!

Therese July 19, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Me too! I’m so intimidated by them. why is that?

Karen July 19, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Trying to convince myself I only get nervous when it’s really hot out. Gonna need to get this under control before I really start ramping up the mileage for my first marathon next spring!

Therese July 19, 2013 at 9:14 pm

The mental part of marathon training by far is the hardest….

Erin July 19, 2013 at 2:43 pm

That smores dish looks fabulous! I am going to have to try it, I’m pretty sure my kids (and I ahem….) would gobble it up.
The recipe says shortening. What do you use for that? Think I could get away with substituting more butter instead of the shortening?

Rina July 20, 2013 at 7:29 pm

You can use coconut oil in place of the shortening. So much healthier. Enjoy!

Leigha July 19, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Loop running is so much better! Fav parts of the day: eating at cousins subs, getting a good run in! Now I’m at a softball tournament and I’m really bored.

Ashlee@HisnHers July 19, 2013 at 2:48 pm

SMORES BARS?! Please share the recipe! MMM

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 19, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your “i’d rather be running shirt”! I wish I had infinite money so I could buy all these super cute things :-) I guarantee I would never take it off!

Sheena July 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I’m pretty sure I need to make those s’mores bars. I love s’mores!

Katie July 19, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Show us a video of the happy and you know it song with Brooke!! :)

Tabaitha July 19, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Love watches! One of my favorite accessories! Your s’mores bars look delicious!!!!! I like to run loops.

Fizz @fizzsbizz July 19, 2013 at 3:06 pm

It’s FRIDAY! That’s what is making me happy today :) And knowing that tomorrow’s run will be my PDR — 14 miles, I’m coming for you!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I need to make those s’mores bars! You keep torturing me with pictures of them!!

Kay July 19, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I always run loops!
I am definitely a watch person :))

Laura @losingrace July 19, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I’m pretty sure we need video proof of #6 with Brooke clapping…..sounds adorable!

I’m NOT a fan of out and back runs, definitely do more loop runs. BUT I do force myself to do out and backs once in a while because it will mentally make me stronger.

Emily @ Running for Boston July 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm

My favorite things include: Getting a 1+ hour workout done super early (5 miles tempo and 1 hour personal training session), having an impromptu lunch with a good friend who’s usually impossible to get a hold of, and tons of jumbo sized boxes of my favorite cereal at Cosco (Frosted Mini Wheats)….AMAZING!

I usually run loops. If I know it’s going to be a tough day and by tough I mean a low motivation day – I’ll do an out and back. It is less thing to think about.

I am a total watch person. My watch is my grandmother’s exact taste (and mine too!) but fits my wrist perfectly – it always makes me think of her when I look at it!

Therese July 19, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Is there a recipe for those smores?

Danielle July 19, 2013 at 3:53 pm

On the post called “it was another lay on the sidewalk day” or something.

Therese July 19, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Thanks Danielle. I have to make them! Yum!

Danielle July 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Favorite things:
1-Chocolate
2- pizza
3-running
4-s’mores bars (I’ve made them like 4 times since you posted the recipe, in fact my oldest requested it for her birthday party cake last Sunday. It was a hit!)

I prefer to loop. But most commonly, I do a mixture a loop around the subdivision but out and back down the side streets.

I want to be a watch person. Especially a big ole watch. But they annoy me.

Logan @ Mountains and Miles July 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I agree that loops > out and backs. I don’t mind out and backs sometimes – it’s nice to know how exactly where you are on your run and makes it easier to do negative splits. But loops just keep it more interesting, I think.

Liz July 19, 2013 at 4:25 pm

This is my go to s’mores bar recipe..super easy and soo good! If you try them out, let me know what you think :) be sure to eat them warm!

I usually run out and back but love me some loops! Favorite things today..9 mile run, hot power yoga, poolside with my 2 daughters, afternoon tea parties, and movie night at home as a family!

Hayley July 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm

My favorite things include: frozen grapes, being productive, baby pigs, chips and salsa, cauliflower, and the last 20 minutes of a run.

I prefer loops. Out and Backs just bore me.

I never used to be a watch person until I got my Nike Fuelband. Now, I feel naked without the time on my wrist!

Runningwithscissors July 19, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I’m a huge watch fan. Just counted and I have 11.
I prefer loops over out and backs.

Kristi July 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm

My favorite thing was sitting with my girls doing yoga today. Thought I had to pay them each 50 cents to go towards a computer game they wanted I think they really enjoyed themselves.

Laura @ Backstage Balance July 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I have the same iPhone case! Love the teal / turquoise combo.

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 19, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I do loops for my long runs and back outs for the shorter ones.
I had a great 5 mile walk today. I never walk but I had already ran to much and still wanted to get out of the house so I ended up going for a relaxing walk. It was great.
My favorite thing I’m getting ready to demolish is a foot long subway sandwich and a pint of Gelato.

Emily M July 19, 2013 at 5:44 pm

favorite thing today was a bag of gummi bears.
I do loops for shorter runs, and I usually do out and back for long runs.
i wear watches when I’m at work, which is at a school, so I go without a watch usually in the summer (unless its my forerunner 210 for runs).

Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt July 19, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Favorite thing today: Steaks on the grill for dinner… epitome of summer food :)

Do you usually run loops or out and back routes when you run? I started with out and backs, but I have come to like loops much more! I like not seeing the same scenery more than once on a run :)

Are you a watch person? I am definitely a watch person. My last job drove me crazy because I wasn’t allowed to wear one!

Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now July 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm

You need to make a video of her clapping her hands; please please please post it!

Patti Smith July 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Our neighborhood is a giant loop with branches out from the sides. For long runs, I take all the branches, but for shorter runs, I can run the larger outer loop or the inner smaller loop.
One of my favorite things today is the is the red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting we ate for dessert at our hometown family restaurant tonight. The owner’s grandmother makes the cakes so I’m never sure if there will be any left :) I got lucky tonight!!

Heather @ Run Like a G! July 19, 2013 at 7:58 pm

My favorite thing was completing my run even though I did not want to! It was HOT!
OH and walking into Dick’s Sporting Goods – they sell Brooks! SUPER EXCITED!

Meaghan @ Tale of Two Teachers July 20, 2013 at 12:23 am

I love loops for sure! Right now I try to run down along the water than back up through the cute little neighborhood near me: nature, fresh air, and dreaming about cute houses I’d like to own!

I starte wearing a watch when I was teaching this year but I lost it when I moved and I’m sooo determined to find it and not buy a new one… It’s been 3 months though

Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. July 20, 2013 at 6:07 am

Mmmm s’mores! Perfect flavour combination!

No watches here – except the Garmin when I’m running!

Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk July 20, 2013 at 7:48 am

I love loops, but most of my runs are usually out and back, way less fun! However, my weekend training group runs are usually pre-marked loop courses, which I love!

alicia July 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Great and fun 5k….time with family and friends

Holly July 20, 2013 at 6:43 pm

That last quote is too perfect!

Amy @ crazysweatymommy July 20, 2013 at 8:52 pm

No watch, but I’m never without my Nike Fuel Band…it’s not very accurate though!

Kari @ Running Ricig July 22, 2013 at 4:53 am

I’m not a watch person. I’m one of those people where if I wear a watch for an extended period of time, the watch stops working. I even have this problem with Garmins, which can get really expensive.

My favorite thing is definitely my dog. She’s the best thing ever.

Amy N. July 22, 2013 at 7:45 am

I detest out and backs and try and make all my runs a loop. They are so much better!

Beautiful watch!

Guacamole is the best. So delicious!

Kay July 23, 2013 at 7:32 am

What a cute bathing suit!