Healthy Chicken and Waffles and Marathon Spectator Signs

July 26, 2013

The only two cousins on Billy’s side of the family got to hang out yesterday.  We let them choose where we to go and they decided on an ice cream parlor (I had no part in this decision).

PS aren’t my sister-in-law’s bangs the cutest?  These two are on the list of people I wish I could transplant back to Northern California with me.

This place is out of control.  It is at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi and the ice cream is off the hook (is it still cool to say that?  Yeah, I didn’t think so.)   Everything is really really cheap and so when I ordered the brownie sundae I expected it to be mini based on the price.  I was pleasantly surprised.

And then when I got back I had chicken and waffles for dinner but the healthy version because they were ‘Whole Grain Egos’ and the chicken wasn’t fried.  I didn’t eat them together but they just both sounded good so I went for it.

Random family tidbit of the day:  my dad put together this little board of locks/reflectors/light switches and other hardware that kids love to play with and Brooke is completely in love with it.

ALL day long I kept telling myself that I would go to yoga at night after Brooke went to bed (they have a 9 pm class) but this ended up happening instead and I really liked it.

Photo

Exercising at night + doing cross training = there is no chance I will do it.

—————————-

Heather sent me the link to 20 Great Marathon Spectator Signs and they are awesome!  Funny signs at races always make a race even more enjoyable.

My favorite one:

Screen Shot 2013 07 25 at 2 28 28 PM

Other fun marathon spectator signs include:

-Worst Parade Ever

-Your legs will forgive you…eventually.

-I’m sure it seemed like a good idea 4 months ago.

-If it was easy, I would do it.

-Hurray up! People are waiting for you.

-You are NOT almost there. (seen at mile 1) …. to go along with that one:  Only 26.1 miles to go!

-Why do the cute ones always run away?!

Tell me the best spectator sign(s) that you have seen at a race!!

Ever had chicken and waffles?  What did you think about it?

-I had the real deal once…HERE!  It was incredible.

What was the last cross training workout that you did?

Who has lost a toenail or two from running?

Lauren @ The Highlands Life July 26, 2013 at 5:02 am

I lost 4 toenails with training for my first full marathon. It was actually quite painful and terrible.

Best sign: Oh that’s cute. Your mom run marathons? Mine does triathlons.

Sarah @pickyrunner July 26, 2013 at 5:04 am

I haven’t had a brownie sundae in forever but man does that sound good right about now. I don’t like mixing my meals so I couldn’t do chicken and waffles at the same time. I think pancakes will be eaten this weekend now…

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 26, 2013 at 5:05 am

I haven’t ever lost a toenail, but I’ve came pretty close and ever since starting running, I have a toenail that is forever deformed. ;) That lock board that your dad made is so neat. I’m sure that will keep Brooke very busy!

Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes July 26, 2013 at 5:06 am

Haha those signs make me laugh! Have you been straightening your hair lately? I’ve been meaning to tell you I like it! I have had the fried chicken and waffle sandwich at top golf and it came with both syrup and gravy for dipping. Syrup all the way!

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama July 26, 2013 at 5:09 am

Wow, that activity board your dad put together for Brooke is awesome! What a great idea!

That brownie sundae looks awesome. Kinda makes me want dessert for breakfast…

Corrine @ Eat Run Wine July 26, 2013 at 5:11 am

I’m not so much a fan of chicken and waffles.. I just don’t get it. It doesn’t help that the fried chicken I had was not boneless- and I just can’t eat a real chicken breast. I think I ended up eating the waffle and some of the fried skin off the chicken… gross lol.

I’m absolutely horrible at cross-training! My hip/IT band is starting to hurt though, so I’m going to start doing yoga and pilates again. I used to love those, but not so much if I can’t go to a class…

I’ve never lost a toenail, but I think it’s because I keep them ridiculously short, so there’s never any pressure on them.

Julianne July 26, 2013 at 5:11 am

My favorite sign that I’ve seen during a race was “Shut up legs.”

Abby @ Change of Pace July 26, 2013 at 5:13 am

The absolute best sign I saw was during the marathon of an ironman. Mst people’s stomachs are acting up at this point! It said ‘never trust a fart on the run’.
I always lose my second toenail on my right foot. After ironman coeur d’Alene in June, we went back to watch the last hour of finishers and I hit my right foot on a fence. I lost my big toenail because of it, so now my right foot only has three toenails!

Jena July 26, 2013 at 6:15 am

I always lose my 2nd toenail on my right foot, too! I wonder what gives?

Vikki July 26, 2013 at 5:14 am

At the Boilermaker 15k, there’s a family that kindly puts up a giant “.1 mile marker” sign in front of their house and screams “only 9.2 miles to go!!!!” Even with the shorter distance, it still isn’t appreciated hahaha

Maria July 26, 2013 at 6:07 am

I know exactly the family that you’re talking about! I thought it was funny during my first Boilermaker. Not so much anymore! :)

Erin July 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Same race, I saw “my wife ran the 5k. She’s on her third beer” (or something along those lines. Right around mile 1!

Lisa July 26, 2013 at 5:15 am

Haha, oh gosh those spectator signs are hilarious. I love them.
And that ice cream looks absolutely heavenly.
Never lost a toe nail from running before, I have nearly lost one from high heels though.

Debbie @ Deb Runs July 26, 2013 at 5:15 am

I saw this sign at the Richmond Marathon a couple of years ago, “That’s not sweat! That’s your fat cells crying.” I tell my clients that sometimes and they love it!

I love the hardware door that your dad made for his grandchildren! How clever!

Pam July 26, 2013 at 5:16 am

what a neat board you Dad made!! better than anthing you can buy at a store. It’s seriously “off the hook!!” ;)

oh toenails…who needs them?! :) I’m currently trying to grow two back. :) Life of a runner…

the most cross-training that I’ve been doing lately has been walking. luv ya Janae!! Happy Friday! xo

Deb July 26, 2013 at 5:17 am

Your Dad should patent that board toy!
What a great idea. I bet it kept Brooke amused for a longggg time.

The Hungry Runner Girl July 26, 2013 at 5:34 am

Hahaha he should! He actually is an inventor by profession!

Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk July 26, 2013 at 5:22 am

The best spectator sign I’ve ever seen was one that said “Keep going! You’ve been training for this longer than Kim Kardashian was married!” I laughed SO hard.

Holy cow, chicken and waffles = AMAZING.

I’m totally like you, cross training is so much less likely to happen. I need to be better about that!

MartinaNYC July 26, 2013 at 8:10 am

Hilarious!

Missy @mileswithmissy July 26, 2013 at 5:29 am

I loved the sign from my first marathon…Finding Nemo themed. It said, “Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running”!
Go! Random STranger is my favorites husband sign!
I logged a few miles on my bicycle on Sunday!
And thankfully I have never lost a toenail :)

Leigha July 26, 2013 at 5:29 am

Signs always give me a good laugh during a race! It really does help! I’ve only lost one toenail so far. Yesterday I rode my bike for xt. Hurt my foot so I can’t run! :(

Amy July 26, 2013 at 5:33 am

My favorite sign during the Detroit marathon was a cute little kid with a sign that said “run like the cops are chasing you”. I love spectators! If only I could line the streets with them on my training runs when I really would rather be napping. They are so motivating. No lost toenails…I just buy a half size bigger shoe and its all good. Enjoy your weekend!

Beth @ Racing Robsons July 26, 2013 at 5:33 am

“If a marathon was easy, is be called your mother.” :)

Diana July 26, 2013 at 9:07 am

I saw that one and loved it so much that I made my one myself for a race I spectated! I got lots of compliments on it (wish I’d been clever enough to come up with it on my own!!) but my favorite moment was when an actual mother/daughter pair ran past me and got SUCH a kick out of the sign.

Nicole July 26, 2013 at 11:53 am

Yes! I saw that one at a marathon this summer, too! It made me laugh out loud. Why are “your mom” things so funny? :D

Beret July 26, 2013 at 5:34 am

While running my second half-marathon in my hometown I saw this sign in the 11th mile “Funeral parlor ahead…look alive!” (It was true, there was a funeral parlor down a block.)

Alana July 26, 2013 at 5:38 am

I’m actually surprisingly sick of the “Worst Parade Ever” sign – maybe because I’ve seen a whole bunch of them during the same race? My favorite sign was at the Dallas Marathon two years ago when it was pouring rain: Just Keep Swimming. I had Dory in my head for the rest of the race, and it was awesome!

Chicken and waffles is more amazing than I care to admit. The best man at our wedding once said it would be ok for me to divorce my husband if he tried to force me to eat it. I ended up giving it a try of my own volition, and I hated to admit it was pretty awesome.

I couldn’t drag myself to yoga on Monday night, so I did about half an hour of it on my own at home. I decided that was good enough.

Hayley in Training July 26, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I remember the Just Keep Swimming sign at the Dallas Marathon, too! It was hilarious!

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick July 26, 2013 at 5:44 am

Your brownie sundae looks amazing! My favorite sign is “hurry mom, we are hungry!” The little girls holding in look adorable. Yesterday I did pliates and worked on my chest and triceps.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles July 26, 2013 at 5:45 am

My favorite was during the Cleveland Half (/Marathon) – “The Indians play at 1, hurry up!”

stephanie wagner July 26, 2013 at 5:51 am

I am loving your hair parted down the middle!! Come back to NY!! :)

The Hungry Runner Girl July 26, 2013 at 6:15 am

Stephanie! Thank you and your sign was the best sign ever at the NYC marathon! Ill be there in October! Lets hang out!

Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution July 26, 2013 at 5:51 am

To this day, my favorite sign at my very first half marathon was one that said, “Your feet hurt because you’re kicking so much butt” — I know it’s not original or anything, but at 12.8 miles or wherever I was when I saw it, it was MUCH needed, and definitely made me smile real big and push harder. I even teared up a bit telling this story. If I knew the girl who was holding that sign that day, I’d hug her.

Sarah July 26, 2013 at 5:53 am

Totally irrelevant comment: I love how you’re rocking the hair center part, Janae!

The Hungry Runner Girl July 26, 2013 at 6:13 am

Hey thanks Sarah!

Lindsey July 26, 2013 at 5:56 am

Love the toenail one, so so true ;) Those are awesome signs I don’t think I have ever seen any that good!
Never had chicken and waffles but it was on the menu at one place we were at a couple of months ago.
I did 30 minutes on the elliptical last night which at 6.5 months pregnant is as good as it gets ;)
Sure have and proud of it! I lost a toenail after my first full marathon.

Kimberly @ Keeping up With Kimberly July 26, 2013 at 5:58 am

I laugh every time I see a sign that says, “I thought they said rum.” Luckily, I’ve never lost a toenail but I came close during my marathon!

Chicken & Waffles – I have no idea why it works, but it totally does. Great dinner choice.

Reading before bed is my favorite thing. I’d probably pick it over yoga too :)

Abby July 26, 2013 at 5:59 am

My favorite sign I’ve seen was “Humpty Dumpty had wall issues too”.

I’ve seen a lot of similar play boards for therapy and fidget toys- such fun!

marcy July 26, 2013 at 6:05 am

there are so many funny signs, but my favorite was when I pulled up to my house after the Pittsburgh Half Marathon and my kids put a sign out front that said
My mom ran 13.1 miles this morning – what did you do?
and in the back they put one up that said
My Mom’s a Rockstar!
I love all of the pictures of your daughter. She and your neices are beautiful!

Amy @ Long Drive Journey July 26, 2013 at 6:07 am

Ha! I love the “you are not almost there” sign. So funny.

I have never had chicken and waffles! It sounds like a stomachache to me, to be honest, but all my friends think I’d love it.

I did Pilates last night! It’s my favorite cross training activity!

Danielle July 26, 2013 at 6:07 am

At MCM 2011 I saw a lady holding one that said “I don’t do marathons. I do marathon runners.” It was a big hit with the runners.

Lindsey July 26, 2013 at 6:11 am

I already called my dad to make a fun board of clanky things for my 13 month old son. What a great idea!

Leigh @ beach and back runner July 26, 2013 at 6:11 am

My favorite sign was “you trained longer than Kim kardasians marriage!” during my first marathon. It was right after that fiasco and made me laugh!

Renee @ Renee Runs Miles July 26, 2013 at 6:11 am

My favorite at my last 1/2 was “I’m proud of you Random Stranger!”

Megan July 26, 2013 at 6:13 am

I saw some people dressed as ketchup and mustard and they had something clever on them like “Ketchup it’s not that far” and “Mustard up the strength to finish” I thought it was great.

I have lost precisely one toe nail! Last cross train was a class called Stacked! (http://abetteryeartoabetterlife.com/2013/07/25/equinox-stacked-review/) it was fricken awesomeeeeee

Emily @ Running for Boston July 26, 2013 at 6:16 am

I love Chicken and Waffles, there’s a restaurant in Chicago by that same name. It’s delicious!

The last cross training I did was two days ago, I had a training session with my trainer Q. It went really well!

I’ve lost a couple of toenails but none since I switched to Vibrams.

Sarah K July 26, 2013 at 7:04 am

Glad to hear that Emily. I am in Vibrams too and was always wondering if it would be more likely now. Never lost one though.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 26, 2013 at 6:27 am

It is amazing what kids will love to play with! Looks like a great invention to me – could be the next million dollar idea!!??

Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant July 26, 2013 at 6:31 am

I have never had chicken and waffles, but I am definitely intrigued! PS I have to remember your Dad’s idea about the board with all the switches and locks for the day I have kids..That is totally something I could see my Dad doing. He’ll love that idea :)

Leah @ Running with the Hayneses July 26, 2013 at 6:33 am

It’s funny, I’ve never lost a toenail (or even gotten a black one), but my friend Jaime who trains with me, hardly ever has ANY toenails!

Jina July 26, 2013 at 6:34 am

I adore chicken and waffles, but I don’t eat them that often.

Thankfully, I’ve never lost a toenail running. That kind of freaks me out, so I’m glad it hasn’t happened.

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 26, 2013 at 6:34 am

Chuck Norris never ran a marathon! That’s my favorite. That and I saw a sign that said Don’t Poop! haha.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 26, 2013 at 6:37 am

I’ve never tried the chicken and waffles thing, it is on the must-try list though!
And I’ve never lost toenails from running, but I have lost them from dancing when I was a kid though!

Molly@ There Goes Molly Rose July 26, 2013 at 6:40 am

Speaking of bangs, where are YOUR bangs Janea?! (I feel like since I read your blog everyday I am your friend and can cyber-yell things like this at you) :)
That switchboard thing is genius! Forget fisher price, THAT’S what kids really want to play with!

The Hungry Runner Girl July 26, 2013 at 8:44 am

Bahahahahhaha we are friends! My hair person told me to change my part last time I was there so I did! Hope you are having a great day!

Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose July 29, 2013 at 9:01 am

well you looks awesome either way! And thanks, hope this week starts out great for ya!

Julia July 26, 2013 at 6:42 am

While I was running the Mercedes Marathon in February, I saw a sign that read, “Your perspiration is my inspiration.” It’s still my favorite!

Alaina July 26, 2013 at 6:43 am

I love the “Worst Parade Ever” sign. I saw one at my last 10K (which was brutal) that said “That voice inside that said you couldn’t do this? It’s lying!” That was at mile 5.5 and I needed it at that point!

Rebecca Jo July 26, 2013 at 6:47 am

I keep loosing toenails… its pitiful

I need some race sign ideas – I’m headed out in a few weeks to cheer on the Ironman Competition… those peeps be crazy! :)

Rebecca Jo July 26, 2013 at 6:47 am

Oh yeah – btw, your dad is awesome! Making that is so creative!!!

YogaBritta July 26, 2013 at 6:48 am

I like to swim and row for cross training.

I have never had chicken and waffles, but I have had cinnamon rolls and chili, which is also way better than it sounds.

Megan D July 26, 2013 at 6:50 am

I have only been to the ice cream parlor at Thanksgiving Point one time. Which is kind of crazy considering I am only a few miles away. I got a sundae (delicious) but Ross got a shake and they put waaaay too much milk in it and it was basically a drink. No es bueno.

If I don’t exercise before dinner, most likely it aint happening. And cross training is all I have been and will be able to do for a while. I did a turbo kick class in the morning yesterday and was planning on doing a weights video later, but soon after starting the video I realized it is hard to do push ups and lift weights with a gimp hand (I super glued the gouge closed, but it still hurts)…so I bagged that as well.

I have lost 2 toenails – but one of those toenails has been lost a few times.

I went to LoLo’s chicken and waffles in Phoenix last year. It was not really my cup of tea…and I felt like there was a rock in my stomach for several hours after. Your version seems much better.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 26, 2013 at 6:52 am

You look so different with your hair parted down the middle! I like it!

Isn’t Thanksgiving Point the best?!

Lorraine@runbuns13.blogspot.com July 26, 2013 at 7:02 am

Love the toe nail sign.. I laughed out loud! I have the worst toe nails.. black and some nails growing in on top of the old ones.. the things we runners put up with!

I love waffles for dinner!

Laura @losingrace July 26, 2013 at 7:03 am

“you’re not sweating, your leaking awesome”

I did the elliptical last night for 45 minutes of cross training after my 8 mile tempo, I really like night time workouts, but I am really bad about morning workouts so I guess it balances out.

That is such a good idea with the switches/locks etc on a board for kids! I might have to make one of those for my nephew! :)

Allee @ Griselda Mood July 26, 2013 at 7:05 am

Your hair looks different! No more bangs? Straight? Different part? Whatever it is, you look puuuuurtty! ;-)

I LOVE great signs! My best friend made one for my half marathon that read: “Smile if you peed a little” haha.

Jena July 26, 2013 at 7:06 am

I’ve only ever run half marathons, but I ALWAYS lose my 2nd toenail on my right foot. My first half, I lost the 2nd toenail on both feet. It hurt really bad after the first half, but now I think my feet are getting used to it and I’m just like “gonna lose a toenail today, oh well!”

I saw some awesome signs at my last half, but for the life of me I can’t remember them enough to quote one verbatim right now. I love those people though, it makes the race memorable and pushes you through the tough miles :)

Sarah K July 26, 2013 at 7:07 am

Love the activity board. All the things they want to play with that you just can’t always let them play with.

I do triathlons mostly so cross training is my way. But when getting ready for a running race, it seems hard to fit in. Go figure. May be switching from the half to the full in December. Any suggestions on how to know that I will be ready? Running is my passion.

Becky July 26, 2013 at 7:10 am

At my last half marathon around mile 10 this girl had a sign that said “you can’t quit now, you’re not the pope!” Haha :)

Deirdre O'Mara July 26, 2013 at 7:16 am

My fav sign ever was at the Pocono Half IronMan 2012…just as you started the run:

“SMILE if you are not wearing any underwear”

Everybody loved it!

The Hungry Runner Girl July 26, 2013 at 8:00 am

Bahahahahhaha that one made me laugh really hard!

Steph July 26, 2013 at 11:16 am

haha this is my favorite sign too!! i saw it this year while i was running the myrtle beach half and started laughing out loud when i passed the girl holding it. spectators are the best!

Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns July 26, 2013 at 7:19 am

That brownie sundae looks bomb!!! You’re really making me want one. I’ve lost both pinkie toe nails multiple times, now one has extra nail growing back with it, and the other, only half grows correct, the other half just hurts lol. I’ve never had chicken n’ waffles. My boyfriend went to Tennessee and had some, said it was really good!

Jennifer A July 26, 2013 at 7:19 am

My brother in law and sister in law live at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi!

Chicken and waffles are the best thing ever.

I lost a toenail 3 months after running my first half, my friend and her roommate lost the exact same toenail soon after.

Ashley July 26, 2013 at 7:24 am

I love my toenail after my last half (in May) and it’s still struggling to come back! I fear I’ll have 9.5 toenails for the rest of my life!

Liz July 26, 2013 at 7:27 am

The last cross training work out I did was a Blogilates (Pop Pilates) Model Ab workout – it killed!
I have never lost a toe nail, but I have gotten a blood blister from my soccer cleats – ouch

Kay July 26, 2013 at 7:27 am

Hooray for ice cream!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 26, 2013 at 7:30 am

Hahaha “worst parade ever” is hilare! I saw one that said “keep going {that’s what she said}” and I laughed reeaaallly hard. It made me, yes, keep going!

Mmmmm ice cream!

Carrie July 26, 2013 at 7:32 am

The best was one my Mom made for me. I did the VA Beach half marathon and I hear someone yell- “Hey Lady, your sign is upside down”. I look and there my Mom is turning the sign over!!

Melissa July 26, 2013 at 7:33 am

Haha the toenail one is the best. I lost a couple when I was training for my half marathon. If I told anyone other than a runner they were so grossed out, but runners just get it.

Chicken and waffles the real deal- I had it at Wrigley Field and OMG it was amazing. It came with a Maple Bacon dipping sauce. You can see it here.

Kellye July 26, 2013 at 7:33 am

There is actually a children’s toy with a ton of different locks on it kinda like the one your dad made so thats pretty cool!

I had chicken and waffles once at roscoes (I think it was called that) and it was delicious!

Noemi July 26, 2013 at 7:42 am

My absolute favorite sign was at the Cleveland 1/2 Marathon this year. There was a woman with a sign that read “You are all Kenyans to me!” That was a super motivating one, I loved it!

Natalie @ Free Range Human July 26, 2013 at 7:55 am

I had chicken and waffles at a place in Memphis once, and the combo was incredible! I haven’t lost any toenails from running but I lost two from hiking on a trip a few years ago :)

MartinaNYC July 26, 2013 at 8:07 am

In June, my team (which is called Dashing Whippets) took part to two races: the Oakley Mini 10K (women only) and the Portugal Day Race (5 miles on father’s day, so mostly only men ran it). For the first race, the guys dressed up like women and were in charge of the signs. Among the best signs: “we don’t have the balls to be lady Whippets” and “Did you just fartlek?” For the second race, it was our turn and the best signs were: “Nice guys finish fast” “My apartment ->” “our guys are tu-tu fast” (because we were wearing tutus ). Needless to say, we had a blast on both races (I ran the 10K and PR’d ;)

And I know I REALLY SHOULD but I don’t cross-train…

Brooke @ Running In Heels July 26, 2013 at 8:07 am

Hahahha I love “Worst parade ever”… and there is zero chance of me getting a workout in if I wait until night to do it!

Jill C. July 26, 2013 at 8:11 am

I haven’t lost a toenail, yet, but I do have my first black one! I’m quite proud of it, actually :)

Marie July 26, 2013 at 8:16 am

My two favorite signs from the same half marathon I did in Jan were: “Pain is temporary, Internet results are FOREVER” which totally got my behind moving faster and “Run like Morgan Freeman is narrating your half marathon.” I am not ashamed to say that as soon as I saw that sign I started to have a pretend narration going that lasted for roughly a mile :)

I have been cross-training via strength training (mainly core and upper body) since my injury and just now trying to get into some lower body stuff. I’m terrible at being consistent with CT though, I just want to run!

Never lost a toe nail but then again I max out at 13.1.

Is it totally weird that I want to go running together sometime? You’re seriously awesome and make me want to be a better runner!

Michelle B. July 26, 2013 at 8:20 am

Ahh a brownie sundae sounds so good right now! And on a totally different note… I loved the post about your dad and how he has gotten healthy!! My parents are also in the process of shaping up. If he ever wants to share some of his typical healthy meals on your blog, I’d love to read them and share with my parents!

The Hungry Runner Girl July 26, 2013 at 8:46 am

That is a great idea!!!! I will ask him and keep me updated on how your parents are doing!

Lauren July 26, 2013 at 8:23 am

LOL during my half marathon someone had a sign saying, “Don’t worry! No one heard you fart!” I was laughing SO hard I thought I was going to get a cramp. I lost four toe nails at once because I wore Nike Shox to run in 11 grade. Not smart.

Taylor July 26, 2013 at 8:36 am

This is kind of random, but i love your hair in a middle part! haha!

The Hungry Runner Girl July 26, 2013 at 8:45 am

Thanks so much Taylor!

Katie July 26, 2013 at 8:37 am

My last cross-training was the rowing machine (ergometer!)

Kelly in Canada July 26, 2013 at 8:49 am

I hadn’t even heard of Chicken and Waffles until earlier this year when Lays had it as a chip flavour! I guess it hasn’t really caught on up here.

I’ve never lost a toenail! I get blisters from time to time though.

Kelly in Canada July 26, 2013 at 8:51 am

Oh, I should add that that flavour didn’t come to Canada either…I actually went on a search for it on one of my trips to Washington state to see my bf, because my sister was curious and wanted to try them!

Amanda July 26, 2013 at 8:51 am

My favorite sign is sweat is just your fat cells crying and your sport is my sports punishment. Love when signs keep me entertained

Zaneta July 26, 2013 at 8:52 am

Ok… first of all… your dad rocks for making that!! That’s totally rad! <– another one that people don't say anymore ;)
Second… I always love the signs that people come up with for races!
I've lost quite a few toenails in my prime ;)

Amy @crazysweatymommy.com July 26, 2013 at 9:02 am

Best sign: Smile if You are Not wearing Underwear!!

Didn’t lose toenails from my running, but once I did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and lost 3 toenails!!! They’ve never been the same since..now I never have 10 nails at the same time. I just learned to paint the skin with toenail polish!!

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run July 26, 2013 at 9:11 am

I did a workout from the Nike Training Club app this morning and it was just what I needed today. I didn’t want to do anything too hard because I have a 17 miler tomorrow. Barf. It’s gonna be great :)
I have yet to lose a toenail! (knock on wood)
How long are you in Utah?

Lauren July 26, 2013 at 9:13 am

I always lose my pinky toes nails! Haha it’s kinda gross but I’m always so proud when I tell people. Runners are weird :)

Andrea @ The Fit Scoop July 26, 2013 at 9:24 am

The last cross training workout I did was spinning this morning. I’m really loving spinning right now as I my baby bump gets bigger because it’s non-impact.
I have lost toe nails from running. I usually need to keep my toenails painted when I’m marathon training because I always have one or two that are bruised and need the polish to hide it :-P

HollieisFueledByLOLZ July 26, 2013 at 9:33 am

You are clearly not from the east coast south. Chicken and waffles is a big ole staple food down here. Together. The chicken goes either on top or inside the waffle batter.

Karen July 26, 2013 at 9:49 am

“Hurry up, my arms are tired.”

Katie July 26, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hmmm I’ve never had chicken and waffles, and I don’t know. It just doesn’t appeal to me, at all. Chicken? Good. Waffles? Gooood. But together? I’m not convinced. Also, the sign “Worst parade ever” is my favorite!! hahaha so great!

xo

Danica @ It's Progression July 26, 2013 at 10:10 am

I absolutely love reading the signs while I’m running races – there are always a bunch that make me smile, which is awesome motivation.

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners July 26, 2013 at 10:20 am

Last cross training – T25…and I’m loving it!

Ashlee@HisnHers July 26, 2013 at 10:27 am

haha Your dinner made me laugh. It’s so random and so something I would eat on a whim when I am really hungry. (minus the chicken since I dont eat chicken..maybe some fake chicken or something ;-) )

Therese July 26, 2013 at 10:46 am

When I did the San Luis Obispo Half “Worst Parade Ever” held up by this little kid really did make me laugh on yet another up hill. I really appreciated that sign

Katherine July 26, 2013 at 11:06 am
Rene Hall July 26, 2013 at 11:22 am

I love race signs – I have LOL’d during my races. Favorites are the A’int nobody got time for that/Honey Badger variety. I am also the dork that gets teary eyed (for real) when I see kids holding up signs for parents.

Honor H July 26, 2013 at 11:33 am

Happy song: for some reason Rio by Duran Duran always lifts my spirits when running. I love the lock board–brilliant. I lose the 2nd toenail on each foot during the “season” and they grow back (-ish) between the last race of spring and the first of the fall, only to be abused again. Most touching sign for me: “You’re all Kenyans to me.” And “It’s only a hill. Get over it” made me laugh and distracted me from the the grind.

Stephanie July 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

The best sign I have ever seen is “no one cares if you crap your pants”. LOL!!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs July 26, 2013 at 11:54 am

When I was running the Seattle RnR Half in June, I ran past a sign that said “If running was easy they’d call it your mom”. HAHA

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny July 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I’ve seen a “don’t stop” sign next to a “that’s what she said”…most inspirational has to be “you’re all kenyans”!

Lace @ FamilyFitnessandFoodery July 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Those signs are hilarious. I love the “You are not almost there” one the most. So true!

Hannah July 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Best HALF marathon sign:

Us: Sleep, Bacon, Toenails
You: Pain, Agony, Awesomeness

michelle kim July 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Best sign had to be from a guy dressed up as Jesus, standing at mile 25 of my first marathon. As I ran, it looked like it said, “THE END IS NEAR.” As I got closer, I saw the smaller print: “THE END of the race IS NEAR.” That had to be my favorite one, by far ;D

Sarah @ How My World Runs July 26, 2013 at 1:10 pm

My least favorite sign is “You are almost done”.
I’ve seen some cute ones lately! That brownie sundae looked good!

Abbey July 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Ok so I don’t remember exactly what the sign said… but it was held by a creepy looking guy and it said something equally creepy! The good news was it actually made me run faster.

I also remember running behind a runner with a shirt that said “Please God let there be someone behind me to read this.” which I thought was pretty cute… but I didn’t stay behind them for long. :)

Kait July 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm

My two roommates held a sign for me that said “I’m having your baby!” Watching other runners reactions to it as I ran by was priceless!

Kristen @ Medium Roast July 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I’m a big fan of the Ryan Gosling sign that is floating around. “Hey Girl, I’m waiting for you at the finish line.”

yes please!

Abby@LevelsFood&Fitness July 26, 2013 at 4:02 pm

During my first marathon, I did lose three toenails. #truerunnerstatus

My favorite sign of the day included “You’ve been training for this longer than Kim Kardashian’s marraige.” Oh, how true.

Rachel@curious runner girl July 26, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Seen at the 16k mark of a marathon… ‘Nek minnit… Finished’ (It’s a joke in NZ and I thought it was hilarious but only Kiwis would get it).

Heather @ Run Like a G! July 27, 2013 at 3:54 am

I love signs at races!!!! :)
Cute idea about the board for kids!!

Open March 8, 2014 at 10:03 am

Great post. I was checking cattnonsly this blog and I’m impressed! Very useful information specifically the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.|

Kim G July 27, 2013 at 5:43 am

The last time my husband ran a race, our three-year-old held a sign that said, “I have no idea what this sign says.” We got lots of laughs!!

Katie July 27, 2013 at 8:45 am

Spectator signs are THE best. Definitely helps fight off the boredom during long races.

Amy @ Run Mom Run July 27, 2013 at 10:28 am

During my last marathon a friend sent me a message that said “You think this is hard? Dori (our other friend) just had a 10 lbs baby!”

It made me laugh so hard.

Kristi July 27, 2013 at 11:17 am

I had chicken and waffles a few months ago, and it was so good! It’s one of those novelties that should only be enjoyed every once in a while, so the novelty doesn’t wear off.

Lacey July 27, 2013 at 3:12 pm

My favorite sign was this year in the Boston Marathon, my first marathon. It was held by lululemon, who has really funny race signs. It said “your training lasted longer than Kim Kardashian’s marriage”

On the subject of toe nails. I have lost one since Boston, and am about to lose my second…my big toe. Don’t worry though, it’s not summer or anything when I like to wear flip flops.

Erin July 27, 2013 at 7:53 pm

At my husband’s half marathon we held up signs that said, “I don’t even know you but I am so proud of you!” to runners and runners even commented on the Facebook marathon page. It was a big hit.

Shannon July 29, 2013 at 10:59 am

At MCM last year there was a guy (husband) and his sign said “no more Saturday morning training runs means Friday night sex!”

I laughed out loud :)

Jessica July 29, 2013 at 12:33 pm

best sign: you’ve been training longer than Kim Kardasian’s marriage! (which a couple years ago when I saw it was very appropriate)

Carson July 29, 2013 at 1:06 pm

At the Talladega 21000 Half Marathon (held at the Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama), they have Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby quotes posted along the entire race. One of my favorites: “If you ain’t first, you’re last!”

Mary July 29, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Best sign – Did someone just Fartlek? ;)

Doni July 29, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Probably one of the funniest signs I saw at the Pittsburgh Marathon was “Hungover, but still supportive.”

I’ve lost exactly one toenail when I did back-to-back marathons. (My kids were mortified). Otherwise, I’m pretty lucky.

LOVE your dad’s “keep Brooke occupied” (and, of course “work on motor skills”) board. What a great idea!

Erin @RunandLaughThruLife July 30, 2013 at 7:26 am

Best spectator sign I’ve seen was at the Disney Princess Half.. It was a father with 2 kids in tow and the sign said something like “Go Sarah! Hurry up the kids are driving me crazy!”

Alexis July 30, 2013 at 3:24 pm

My favorite sign was one I saw while running the Chicago Marathon…

“Run? I thought you said Rum!”

Holli July 30, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Best Ironman sign…seen on the bike course – Smile if you’ve pee’d on yourself. Most people are smiling on the bike, and most people have pee’d on themselves at some point during the race. I’m sure if you google that sign you’ll see my friend Alejandro in an orange speedo at some Ironman race!