I found something that I didn’t like…

July 18, 2013

Just one more picture from our cable car adventure yesterday.  That little face gets me every time.

Today was an easy run on the trails this morning.

I am so confused by the weather.  Yesterday I was wearing a coat all day and today I had to wear long sleeves because it was so cold and really cloudy… Isn’t it July?!  Maybe I am just losing my Utah skin and becoming a Californian and now I get cold when it drops below 60 degrees.  PS I only wear capris/pants running when it is snowing outside, I am a running shorts person.    PPS I wear my Waveriders on easy runs to save my PureFlow 2s for my harder runs.

Photo

We had to go to Target for some cleaning supplies and Brooke convinced me while we were there that she needed a cute running outfit.  We are going on a hike later today and she has outgrown her other athletic clothing so it was really a need, not a want.  (PS she was only in the shopping cart part for the picture and to see if the clothes would fit her and then she was right back in her seatbelt)

And then we had to go to Trader Joe’s for some things for a party tonight and my cousin convinced me to buy these meringues because she loves meringues.  I took a picture and was so excited to try them….  ummm well I found something at Trader Joe’s that I don’t like.  They were weird and too sweet (which is saying a lot coming from me).

And in true Janae fashion I am writing a completely random post but that is just how my brain works.

Reader Aimee sent me this wonderful idea:

Healthy watermelon cake

I can’t tell if they are using whipped cream or frosting on the watermelon cake so I guess I am forced to make both so that I can let you know which one is better!

——————————————————

If temperatures didn’t apply:  are you a running shorts person or a running capris person?

On a scale from 1-10 (10 being really hard) how hard was your run today?

Where was your run today?  Road, trails, track, treadmill or other?

Trader Joe’s people:  anything there you don’t like?  Have you tried anything new that was delicious and you want to tell me about so I can go tomorrow and get it?

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama July 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Definitely a running shorts person unless it’s really cold. Speedwork at the track today. 12 x 400. Tough but I rocked it!

Katherine July 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Wow- I love this watermelon ‘cake’ idea!!!!!!!

Lisa July 18, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Shorts! Always shorts. My run last night was an 8. My sprints this morning after my workout were a 10! I run on the roads 95% of the time. I never understood the Trader Joe’s craze, although I do like everything I’ve got from there. If it were closer I would probably go more to try new things.

chelsea @ the new wifestyle July 18, 2013 at 2:09 pm

i’m alllllways a running shorts person! my run today was about a 6-still trying to get used to the disgustingly thick air houston forces down your throat! it was a mix between outdoor and then had to hit the treadmill so i didn’t pass out.

i need you to try the jalapenos and cilantro hummus. it changed my life significantly AND i don’t even like either of those on their own. it’s outstanding.

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick July 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I am a running skirt girl I hate shorts because they always bunch up in my thighs and l like that skirts cover my butt. I love capris in the winter.

Sara @ Middleaged Runner July 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm

My run today was base pace 6 miles on a (hilly) road. I think it was about a 7 for effort because it was 85 degrees and 85% humidity, phew!
I don’t like TJ’s avocados, they spoil so much faster than ones from my normal grocery store which is odd and makes me sad. I love the butternut squash ravioli, their cinnamon raisin bread and their salted caramels. Mmmmmmm :-)

Katie July 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Brooke is getting so big!

Sheena July 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm

OH MY GOD that cake looks AMAZING!!

Cathryn July 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I made my Husband a watermelon cake yesterday – three tiers like a wedding cake, edged with strawberries, blueberries and olallieberries with candles on top. He’s being healthy at the moment, it was the perfect cake!!!

I’m not keen on TJs bread…it’s okay but not wonderful.

Lisa July 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Oh my gosh, I need that watermelon cake in my life and I don’t even like watermelon. It kind of looks too good to pass up though.
I’ve never heard of those meringues but they do look weird. Well, they just always seem like weird desserts to me.
I’m definitely a capri wearer! I prefer them to shorts, but I’m not entirely sure why.

Missy @Miles with Missy July 18, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Wow that watermelon cake looks awesome!! I am a running in shorts person. I am forced to wear pants during our winter months, but I stay in shorts as long as I can. I made it to November/early December last year before having to get the pants off the shelf.
I took a rest day today :)

Alaina July 18, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Always running shorts. However, I really like hiking in running tights.

Also, these aren’t new, but I haven’t seen you post about them….the strawberry ice cream mochi from TJs is amazing (the chocolate and mango are pretty good too!)

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run July 18, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I am a shorts person! Definitely! Winter running kills me cause I prefer shorts.

I’m running tonight. On the treadmill. 6 miles. I can’t wait!!

You know, I tried their sugar cookie mix once and it really wasn’t anything special. Made me sad. But if you haven’t had cookie butter yet, you’re missing out. Go buy some right now!

Jessica @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad July 18, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I’m guessing my run tonight is going to be a 9 because its nearly 100 degrees here. I normally run in the morning but I’m going to a group run tonight. I might spontaneously combust.

Alida July 18, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I bought those meringues this week, too! At first I loved them because they taste exactly like the marshmallows in Lucky Charms and who doesn’t want to just eat the marshmallows? Answer: me, when they are in the form of meringue cookies. One was delicious, two was tasty, but beyond three was WAY too sweet.

Kari @ Running Ricig July 18, 2013 at 2:15 pm

It’s below 60 there?? I am so jealous. Half of my run today was super tough, but the other half was fine. I ran half outside with my dog in the hot and humid weather and the rest on the treadmill.

Ok, I’ll grant you that watermelon looks delicious, but that is not cake. Cake is cake. That is frosted watermelon.

Natalie Martin July 18, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I like my running skirts. Feel breezy! Today was a moderately easy run (about a 7) on the treadmill bc it’s about 100 degrees! Wish so badly I needed a jacket!! No trader joes around here.

Megan July 18, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Running shorts all.the.time!
Sluggish 6.6 on fiesta island. Hot and humid. Jealous of your cool weather!!
Had to come home and do an extra 1.4 with th stroller for an even 8.

I’m obsessed with TJ veggie burgers. Put on my salads for perfection!

Doni July 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm

If I had my druthers, I’d be in shorts year round. My run this morning on our bike/running path was during my running bff’s taper week (she’s doing a 50k on Sunday), so we did 6 easy miles (I’d say around a 3 on the scale — mostly social).

TJ’s rarely fails for me. Those meringue things look suspect. (blech!)

Diane July 18, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Running shorts for sure! Used to be a capri gal, but love shorts so much better!! Run this morning was a short and sweet 3 miler. This ginormous belly really slows me down. My little girl wears athletic apparel just like Mommy too. It’s so fun to dress alike :) Brooke really rocks it!! Love Trader Joe’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups!! Oh my!!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats July 18, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I am loving that watermelon cake! I def need to make that asap with some whipped cream. Today was a 3 mile run with strides. And running shorts are almost always my go to choice. It has to be reallyyyyy cold for me to wear pants.

Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes July 18, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I love your top!!! That watermelon cake is interesting. I think I prefer real cake!!!

Brooke @ Running In Heels July 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm

That watermelon cake is GENIUS! Need it.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm

TJ’s pumpkin soup stinks! I run in shorts and capris interchangeably. I think whipped cream would be great on the watermelon cake.

Alicia Wynn July 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Hate to sound like the nagging mom, but having a friend whose daughter passed away after falling out of a shopping cart, please, please, please strap Brooke in!

The Hungry Runner Girl July 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Thank you!!! We just had her in to stand up when I was seeing if the clothes were the right size for her and the picture, then she was right back in the seatbelt! Thanks!!!!!

The Hungry Runner Girl July 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm

That really breaks my heart. That is the saddest thing ever.

Haley July 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm

My run was great today–and I am totally with you on running shorts versus capris. Trader Joe’s has the best sorbets (the raspberry is awesome)—you need to try them!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom July 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Definitely a running shorts person. I like to wear as few clothes as possible because I get really hot and sweaty. My run was a 4 today. I ran it on the road near my university!

Christa July 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm

We just bought those same meringues this weekend! I can’t say that I am a fan either. I much prefer the peanut butter cups.

Ran along the bayou by my house today, there’s a nice paved trail.

Kay July 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Seriously the best looking family ever! AH! I love her shopping with all the hangers :)

Running capris for sure! the only exception might be my lululemon skirt that I wear all the time..

My run was ‘easy’ but man did it feel hard. So hot, so humid, my legs were heavy.. (then someone told me at work they saw me this morning.. embarrassing?)

I pretty much only run on road. Trails seem too dangerous to me as I easily twist ankles there!

I love Trader Joe’s so much. Just being there is enough. They had samples of the TJ’s GF oreos which were goodd and the mango lemonade and the GF granola! haha I know I’m not helping.. :) And if you like carrot juice.. ya carrot juice.

Miranda @ Miranda Runs July 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I definitely prefer to run in shorts, but capris are more practical in Seattle! My run today was a 7. I hadn’t worked out in week (thanks Disneyland + proposal… worth it!) so I lost some of my endurance. I did intervals and PHEW I was tired!

Megan D July 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I am jealous of your long sleeved runs. If I could I would wear shorts and long sleeves. But I do love capris. I think I just like the temps/running weather associated with those clothes though :) No run for me…still. I attempted a run yesterday and my hamstring said no. I still need to wait. I don’t have patience for this! lol. So I did JM No More Trouble Zone followed by Turbo Fires 15 min HIIT workout.

I can’t wait to see Brooke in that outfit! My niece begged her mom to get a running skirt and an exercise shirt and run in a race like her aunt Megan – she officially became my favorite niece at that moment.

I am not sure there is anything more disappointing than buying a new treat and thinking about how yummy it sounds only to be let down. I love their dark chocolate and sea salt almonds most. Like, we have a dangerous relationship.

Marie July 18, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Megan: What’s going on with your hamstring? I pulled mine 6 weeks ago so I sympathize!

Megan D July 20, 2013 at 8:33 am

I have been battling some pain in my hamstring when I run for several months. I took April off to help and it did…a little anyway. But it is back with a vengeance. Before it was just uncomfortable, now it is painful. When I went and got a sports massage, the lady said it was my adducter muscle that was strained. It doesn’t hurt when I use my adducter muscle though – more when I run, do dead lifts and that kind of stuff. The pain it in my hamstring clear up into my groin. I haven’t gone to the dr yet because I figured they would just tell me to rest anyway. Or they would need to do an MRI and we can’t afford that.

What happened with you? What are you doing to help yours right now? Not running is the pits huh? lol. Especially when it feels like everyone around you is running. Lame people ;)

Marie July 20, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Ouch, that sounds terrible. Especially since it’s been lingering for so long!

I have/had (positive thinking there) a low hamstring pull. I didn’t feel it pull (thankful for that) but after I ran a 5k my leg was just bothering me. I have IT Band issues so I assumed it was IT Band related but after about a week and a half with the IT Band finally going to the way side, I still felt this tightness on the back of my leg and looked back and there was a small bruise where my hamstring runs down into my knee.

In that two weeks I was still actively going to Crossfit (which I think was part of the hamstring pull issue too) and “jogging.” When I finally went to the doctor, I of course got the bad news: No RUNNING! I almost cried. It’s been 6 weeks exactly since the pull today so I am going for my first “jog” on Monday.

I rested my leg for the past four weeks. Literally not doing anything on it. It has been terrible but that, coupled with icing (A LOT the first couple weeks) seems to have helped. I started walking on it (not fast, more for time on my feet) about two weeks ago and it seems to be handling that well.

I got trigger point done on my hamstring last week and WOW it was awesome in a this hurts but feels good way.

What are you doing for yours?

Hope your hamstring heals quickly and you don’t have to take too much time off running. I feel your pain!

Marjie July 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Capris! I ran 10 miles this morning in 75 degree weather and 92% humidity. I. Was. Dying. But, I got it done!

Suzi July 18, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I made the watermelon cake for 4th of July. You make is with homemade whipped cream. My arm was so tired after making it. I loved it though.

cynthia July 18, 2013 at 2:55 pm

You could use greek yogurt as the frosting.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles July 18, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I’m definitely not a meringue person either–which is weird, because I’m not a picky eater and will eat almost anything put in front of me. Trader Joe’s has some FABULOUS cookie butter that I think you’d love…if you haven’t tried it already. :P

Jill C. July 18, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I am a running shorts gal. I’m obsessed. I started collecting them long before I actually ran because they were the ‘cool’ things to wear in college. But now that I DO run, I have several dozen. I can never pass up a new pair!
My run today: a 10. That’s because I didn’t get to run thanks to some stomach stuff. So, it was really hard on my psyche.

Will you PLEASE post a picture of Brooke’s new running outfit? I HAVE to have babies soon so that I can buy all the sweet workout stuff from Target for them. I guess I should get on that getting a boyfriend thing, haha.

Kelly in Canada July 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I saw the recipe for that cake somewhere, I think it was on Pinterest, and you can use Cool Whip for the frosting! Yum yum :)

Definitely capris, because my very favourite running bottoms that I own are Under Armour capris! I would live it them if I could! These days I run in shorts, but only because it’s too hot for capris.

No run for me today. I’ve had some intense runs and a long bike ride over the past 3 days, and my body tends not to do well on intensity day 4. A rest day it is! I’ll probs go for a walk later though! :)

Alina July 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Running tights allll the way!!

Shorts=chafing for life

I also live in workout clothes–so I like being able to throw on a sweater and look somewhat decent (at least I think I look away :/ ). Umm what are you talking about–these aren’t workout pants, they’re leggings :)

Fizz @fizzsbizz July 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I’m definitely a running capris person. I like the feeling of my legs being all tucked in tight.

YES! I once bought a bag of ravioli and hated it. That’s the only thing though. Powerberries might be my most favourite thing in the whole world — big call!!

My run was a very very very slow and steady 8 miles.

Laura July 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Okay so first I have to ask what is your secret to getting such great shots of Brooke?!!! I have a 21 month old and I can NEVER get him to look at the camera like that and smile! It’s so frustrating!

Okay second, where did you get that long sleeve running shirt, I love the colors!

I have to say I feel more comfortable out in capris only cause I’m self conscious about my legs. I do like some shorts, but really the longer ones like compression shorts. The cute 3″ running shorts I save for at home on the treadmill. ;-)

Emily @ Running for Boston July 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I am a total running shorts person regardless of the weather 100 degrees or 30 degrees….although I did put on capris when I went out running and it was only 17 and snowing. That was a tad too cold for shorts.

My running today is going to be a 3 maybe 4, I’m tapering as I have a race on Sunday!!!

Mallory @ my quarter life [crisis] July 18, 2013 at 3:15 pm

you NEED the lacey chocolate macadamia cookies from TJ’s. they evaporate in your mouth, so good.

Kate July 18, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Always shorts!
But no runs at all for this week – injured a ligament in my foot. Instead tonight I’m going to go back and read all your injury posts to stop from crying into a tub of ice cream ;)

Carson July 18, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Definitely gonna steal this watermelon idea!

I am for sure a capris person but I think it’s because it is always so hot here in Alabama that I have to wear shorts all the time so wearing capris is a rare treat.

Lauren July 18, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I’m definitely a running shorts person. Unless it’s an arctic tundra outside, I’ll be wearing shorts. I walked with Elmo, so I’d give it a 2. Hey, he’s a strong boy! ;)

I got Trader Joes Edamame crackers and dipped them in guacamole. Uhm, it was like heaven. They are SO good!

Hanneke July 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Maybe this has been asked a hundred times but what long sleeve are you wearing in the running pic? I love it!

Sarah F. July 18, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I definitely prefer running shorts or short spandex. I am running tonight, but planning on 6-7 miles. We just moved to Connecticut, and it is so humid here, so I always come back drenched in sweat :/ I have found a nice bike trail and my husband found some trails yesterday, but the roads here are horrible (at least where we have been) because they don’t have sidewalks and the shoulders are pretty much non-existent.

Good to know about the merengues because I have been wanting to try those. I really like the roasted seaweed (grew up in Japan, so I have always liked it) and the Inner Peas crispy pea snack things. I got their raisin bran last week and don’t like it at all! My husband loves raisin bran, but won’t touch it, so I am forcing myself to eat it so it doesn’t go to waste haha.

Corrine @ EatRunWine July 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm

If temperatures don’t apply at all, capris.

My run was probably a 4. I only ran 3 miles, but it was 6 am and I ran negative splits every half mile (aka- I cranked the treadmill speed up at every .5 miles…. it will wake you up fast, especially if you start at a competitive pace for yourself!) So the pace was decent, and I was tired- and I hate treadmills, so that all made it an ok run.

I ran on the treadmill this morning because it was before the sun came up. I try to run half treadmill and half outside in this Southern summer heat/humidity. Tomorrow is 4 miles outside before work, and 3 miles after work on the treadmill. And then maybe the pool :)

I love almost anything Trader Joe’s has, but I don’t like meringues so I’ve never tried those. I think they have a weird texture and are kind of chalky… I LOVE their bite-sized brownies though!

Ashley July 18, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I did not like the trader Joe’s seaweed chips. Tasted like fish. In the worst way. It seems like everyone else loves them?

Meaghan @Tale of Two Teachers July 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Shorts! And not just for running!… I’m in my running shorts more than anything else I wear I think… I’ve been riding my bike a lot so I’m pretending that is an excuse for rarely changing out of them haha.

Running hills tonight on the road… should be pretty hard but it’s not as hot as it has been so that’s good :)

We don’t have TJ’s here but the guacamole made w/ yogurt is amazing!

Lauren July 18, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Definitely shorts! My run should have been a 4 but felt like an 8 with the humidity even at 6am. I was glad to get in the miles though. I always love seeing the little athletic section in Target and it makes me so happy Brooke shops there :)

Rachel McIntyre July 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm

My run was only about a 6 until I hit the last mile which had two really steep, long hills in it. Then it went up to a 10!

I absolutely love those chocolate covered powerberries. I need to go to Trader Joe’s to stock up before going back to England!

Rick Stiles July 18, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Love the watermelon cake idea! Very festive and healthy. Not to mention gluten-free!

Runningwithscissors July 18, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I’m a shorts girl!
My run was a 2 today on a scale of 1-10. I ran a easy 5 on the mill due to heat index of 107.
I don’t like watermelon so this would be a great cake for me to make. Perhaps I wouldn’t consume it in one sitting??? I have zero self control so I’m always up for making things I don’t!!!! Would be so fun to take to a BBQ!

Kristi July 18, 2013 at 5:32 pm

My daughter loves those meringues, and I refuse to buy them. I don’t like the taste, and I definitely don’t like the texture.

Amy Lauren July 18, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I’m definitely a shorts girl. If it drops below 40 or so, I’ll pull out the capris. That happened maybe 3 times last year here in Charleston, SC. Also they are capris and not pants because I’m 5’0″ and even the capris look like pants on me. So if I wanted true running capris I’d have to buy what other girls consider knee length shorts, I guess.

I’m not a meringue fan either. Brooke looks super cute with her new Target athletic clothes though, how presh!

Anissa angelosante July 18, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Today my run has been on both the roads and trail. I got the best of both worlds :)

maggie July 18, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Janae, sorry for continuing to ask you all my running-gear-questions….but reading reviews online starts to make my head spin! Question: running headbands. I’ve been tempted to try bondi bands but they’re kinda spendy compared to my Target headbands, and I can’t tell if they’re too wide for my odd-shaped head. So, two part question: what do you think of bondi bands or do you have a different brand that you think is better? Your headbands dont look that wide so I’m guessing they’re not BB’s? My problem with target is that they fill with sweat (gross, I know, sorry) and get heavy and then they slip down–> then they stretch out when i try to put them back on. Thanks!!

Amy @ Long Drive Journey July 18, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I used to think I was a running capris girl but then I discovered good running shorts and I think I’m hooked! I love your jacket/pullover! Neon colors make running way more fun.

Leigha July 18, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Shorts, all the way. Capris are SO hot. I didn’t run today, timed 5k tomorrow! Still have NEVER been to a TJ’s. Ugh. Small town probs.

Tabaitha Kaye July 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm

That watermelon cake looks delicious and I will be trying that out soon. Today’s run was a hill workout. Since there aren’t many hills in the Houston area, my hill workout was on my treadmill. It wasn’t hard but it wasn’t easy. I definitely felt challenged in a good way today.

Krissy July 18, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I am in the Houston area as well…definitely no hills to speak of =). I was miserable the first time I ran the Austin Marathon with all of those hills!

Debbie @ DebRuns July 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Brooke absolutely needs running clothes!

Running shorts for me! I had a really hard tempo run at 5:45 to beat the heat. It got up to 97 here today! Ugh! My run was on our paved community trails.

LosingLindy July 18, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I have heard the frosting is greek yogurt.

I can’t wait to see her in her workout wear

lisa @ early morning run July 18, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Oh my goodness, that picture of you and Brooke on the tram is so insanely adorable!

I used to prefer capris but I’ve been wearing shorts more lately and found a pair that I absolutely love – the Distance Short from Oiselle – and now I’m more of a shorts girl.

I found one kind of hummus at TJ’s that I didn’t like too much, but that’s about it. Unfortunately there aren’t any here in Denver (yet) which makes me sad because we always shopped there when we lived in NYC. I miss it.

Logan @ Mountains and Miles July 18, 2013 at 7:44 pm

My run today was ALL OVER TOWN. I woke up late (okay, I hit the snooze button for TWO hours!), so to fit my run in, I ran 3 miles into work. Then after work, I ran another 2.5 miles to my sisters house and then after hanging out with her for a few hours, I ran another 2.5 miles back to my house. My run for the day was 7-10 miles, so I’m pretty impressed with myself that I managed to pull in a three-a-day for 8 total miles, ha.

MartinaNYC July 18, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Girl, I’m sorry but we cannot be friends anymore: I ADORE the vanilla meringues from Trader Joe’s and that’s why I never buy them-because I’d finish the whole thing within one hour! And the saddest part is, what I tried and I didn’t like fromTJ’s was the Champagne and Pear vinegraitte and I know that you, on the other hand, love it! What should we do about this whole Trader Joe’s problem?!? ;)

How hard was my run from 1-10? 0, because I decided to skip it! Today is really brutal here in NYC and I was feeling really exhausted so I listend to my body. Then of couse I was restless for the rest of the evening and, since I didn’t run, I made up for it by reading about it for three hours straight!

Rachel@curious runner girl July 18, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Definitely a shorts gal but I always get hassled about how white my legs are (mostly just by my family). It’s kinda bad but i think they are my safety – at least people can see me from a mile away!
Today was a cross train day so I did spin class.

Allison July 18, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I must say, I prefer Capri tights, but not during high temps. Right now in NC neat an humidity, shorts are a must, unfortunately. Tights NEVER ride up on my legs and chafe like shorts sometimes do. My thighs are my biggest body part and I have experimented with MANY types of running shorts to find some that stay put when I run. Surprisingly, Old Navy brand is a great fit for me for me.

Trader Joe’s choice: I always get Brie there! My good friend and I have this thing where every Monday we watch ” the bacholette” on TV and eat yummy snacks. Usually, it’s Brie/crackers and hummus/veggies. We are totally hooked on TJs Brie! It’s so cheap and delicious! This week we tried the “light” Brie… Just as good and creamy, you would never know it was “light”! I also reccomend the TJs cracker assortment box to go with the brie :)

lena July 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Ha ha! I love how random your posts are!!
The watermelon idea is totally cool! Do let us know if it’s better with frosting or whipped cream! ((:

Krissy July 18, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Well, we (my two kiddos and I) found the same picture on Pinterest and tried making a watermelon cake. We used cool whip, which tasted good, but made things a bit slippery =). We used cookie cutters to cut out watermelon shapes and put them on skewers for decoration.

My run felt like a 10. Mainly because of the weather. It was close to 90 in Houston with high humidity and pushing the jogging stroller. I probably only ran about 6.5 miles….I was hoping to make 8 but couldn’t run fast enough in the weather.

Zaneta July 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Athletic clothes are as always a need… no matter who you are! ;-)
LOVE the elevator game! It looks like do much fun!! :-)

Rachel July 18, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I am so confused by the weather as well. Yesterday I was FREEZING, so I wore more layers today, only to get really hot and shed almost all of them. Can’t the weather just be so perfect all of the time?? ;-)

I am totally a running capri girl. My legs rub together and then I chafe and it hurts. I’m a big baby when it comes to pain, so I just wear pants.

My run was outside on the roads today. I did a different route, so it was a really nice change up. With a lot of hills.

Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt July 18, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Definitely shorts… I have yet to find capris that stay put when I run! :P
As far as meringues go, I LOVE them, but do not like the vanilla ones… weird, I know, lol!

Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk July 18, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I’m like you, running shorts ONLY! I’ll wear capris, but never full length pants, they are just not as comfortable!

jen crowther July 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Mmmmmm watermelon cake! Nix the frosting and the whip cream,even though i am sure that is mighty tasty! Get ONE STICK of cream cheese (at room temp.) and 1 Jar of Marshmallow Fluff, whip the two together and you have HEAVEN! Try it! you will be very happy! smoother it all over the watermelon. i think i got teary eyed typing this, it’s so good! :D

SOOOOO jealous of your cold runs! I live in Richmond, VA and it’s pretty much FIRE outside and HUMID, that i’ve been doing my runs on the treadmill at the gym, and sadly its almost just as hot and humid inside as it is outside. it’s the gym candy jar that keeps me going! :) but no matter the weather i am capri’s wearer all the way!

I went to trader joe’s today to buy watermelon and also tried for the first time a Buffalo Chicken Wrap with blue cheese dressing for dipping. I was a little unsure about my choice, but amazingly enough, it was fabulous!

Lauren July 18, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I love running in capris! Once you start running, you don’t have to worry about them riding up or anything. Too bad it’s so hot out in Chicago now!

Trader Joe’s has sooo many good things they’re bound to miss the mark on ONE thing haha. After reading the comments above I’m dying to try “TJ’s brie!”

Katie July 19, 2013 at 12:59 am

Always capris/leggings/running pants. I’m convinced I’d have to adjust sorts the whole time cos I don’t have skinny minny legs.

It was about 6, short and some smallish hills but I’ve cut back on running lately so my fitness isn’t what it was.

It was on the footpath/sidewalk.

We ain’t got no Trader Joes in Australia! :(

Jazz July 19, 2013 at 4:42 am

I have a temperature ‘chart’ for what to wear . Above 4 (C) (maybe like 36 f?) is shorts, below is pants, below -20 is two pair of pants. I only wear capris while spinning.

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 19, 2013 at 4:48 am

I’m a capris person. Shorts ride up on me since my legs are a little bigger. BUT I haven’t tried spandex shorts yet. I think I must and just not care what people think. It’s 97 degrees here in Missouri!
My run yesterday was about a 7. It was short and speedy. I ran out of time. So I’m going back to get some more speed work in today! I love speed work on a treadmill.

Holly July 19, 2013 at 4:48 am

I think using a fruit dip would be thicker and hold the other fruit on the watermelon better!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 19, 2013 at 5:00 am

Any sort of workout, I’m a capri or shorts person. Actually, for life in general, I just dislike wearing pants.

Liana@RunToMunch July 19, 2013 at 6:58 am

I’m a running skirts person! Once I went skirt, I don’t want to go back!

Its 97 in Boston today so I’m calling it a rest day. Besides I need to start the taper for My sunday half.

Allie July 19, 2013 at 7:23 am

omg that watermelon cake is AMAZING!

I’m totally a capris running girl. I cannot wear shorts when I run otherwise I’m that awkward girl who’s picking her shorts out of her vag every 5 feet. Cute

Tricia July 19, 2013 at 7:49 am

I don’t know if you have ever had the frozen chocolate covered banana slices from trader joe’s, but they are delicious :)

The Hungry Runner Girl July 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

I have been wondering about those! I will now get them next time I am there! Thank you!

Melissa July 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

always always shorts. unless its winter.

Candice July 19, 2013 at 10:17 am

I saw that watermelon cake recipe before and it looks soooo good! The frosting in greek yogurt.

Blaire @ Just Been Running July 19, 2013 at 10:21 am

I am 100% a running shorts person!! I really really don’t like wearing pants or capris when I run unless its ABSOLUTELY freezing out..now a jacket or pull over on the other hand is a different story, I love wearing them :)

I ran on Tuesday and it ended up being a tough run, but it was on the treadmill!

I never go to Trader Joe’s…yes, I’m weird I know, all my friends tell me that ;)

alexis July 19, 2013 at 10:25 am

Run will be later on the treadmill. too hot for outdoors and an early wake-up before work at 7:00 would not work. It will be an easier run today as Monday as sprints. Trader joe’s always takes all my money, ridiculous. My boyfriend and I love the chocolate covered peanut butter pretzels. If we buy them they are gone that day.. too addicting..

Kay July 19, 2013 at 11:36 am

I agree, I’m not a meringue fan either – although for me it’s really like, why eat mostly air when I can eat something denser and even more delicious, haha.

Laura July 19, 2013 at 11:55 am

Target and trader joes in one day….heaven.

I think I am more of a running shorts person but I do love my capris too. I like to balance things out usually. If I am wearing capris it’s tank top or tee shirt, if I am wearing shorts Its tee or long sleeve. Except in this recent heat….its shorts and sports bra. unbearable!

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners July 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

For sure shorts…with the Run speedy or the groove short from lululemon

Lindsay July 20, 2013 at 10:12 am

I think that is yogurt on the watermelon cake bc it’s supposed to be healthy!

Amy N. July 22, 2013 at 8:01 am

That watermellon looks awesome! I’ll have to try it sometime.

I love Target. I find a reason to need to go there every day.

Marissa July 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I took this watermelon cake to a potluck but used whip cream (had to settle for coolwhip so we could freeze it during the drive/day), but crushed up skor chocolate bar and it takes the dessert to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL! I highly recommend trying that! Watermelon goes so well with it especially!

Peachylau August 16, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Love those raybans

Rachelle September 10, 2013 at 8:56 am

What if instead of whipped cream or frosting you used Greek Yogurt?

Cristal September 26, 2013 at 7:49 pm

The frosting is coconut whipped cream, using a can of coconut milk! Just FYI :)