Story behind the picture.

June 18, 2013

In the 6 Tips for Running Resiliency post a few of you asked what was going on in the below picture.

It was at the end of my first marathon.  I didn’t eat anything the entire marathon (I did have a little bit of gatorade) because I had no idea you were supposed to (now I start fueling at mile 5-6).  I did all of my training on a treadmill so I am sure the hills were a little tiring for me.  I was trained for a 3:35-3:40 (that is what my training plan was for) marathon and ran a 3:20 (I am just a tad bit competitive) so at the end I was done.  My leg muscles gave up and I just wanted to sit there for a while and they were all concerned.  I was fine, I just couldn’t feel my legs for a few minutes;)

——————————————————————–

I think it took my Garmin around 38 minutes this morning to find the satellites.

Photo 1

Today was a nice and slow easy run and by the time I got home my hair was drenched from all the water in the air.

Photo 2

Back when we lived in Utah, Billy and I would come stay in Southern California during the summers for two months (amazing part about teaching…you still get a check in the summer… although not very much;) so I have ran these roads many many times and I love them.

I always see Monica and Skinny Runner going on walks and all sorts of fun adventures on Instagram and their blogs so I decided to crash their party and join them.  Always inspiring to hang out with these running machines.  The two nicest and funniest girls you will find.  I wish I could join their walks every day.  Brooke was mad we had to leave.

Reason #1452 I love staying at my in-laws.  Costco sized boxes of Raisin Bran. The breakfast of champions.

For lunch I had my MIL’s leftover fish salad.  Just as good as it was yesterday and I had some almond butter toast too.

Brooke is living it up here.

————————————————————————————-

Did you have a slow and easy run or a fast run today?  Or I guess somewhere in between?

What was your lunch today?

What miles do you start fueling for your races?  Have you ever not fueled during a race?  Which one(s)?

Do you live in a hilly area or a flat area?

-We live in the flattest city on earth but running at my in-laws house is hilly city!

Sarah @PickyRunner June 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I’ve collapsed after runs before because I was tired too, not because there was something seriously wrong. I’m still trying to figure out fueling during races. I have never taken anything during a half (the longest distance I’ve raced) and I do want to try. I’ve run 16 miles at once before and I was feeling so weak by the end, I know I need food/water. Running flat is the only way to go. Hilly runs are HARD but you feel so good after! AHhhhh this is making me miss running so much!

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick June 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I had a slow painful run today! For lunch I made Pollo with Mole sauce, arroz y frijoles. I started fueling at mile 5. I live in crazy hill country. So awesome that your first marathon was a 3:20! That’s speedy fast!

Wendy @ New Moms Talk June 18, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Your lunch sounds amazing! Perhaps we can swap if I make dessert? Former professional baker here. :-)

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick June 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Sounds like a deal!

Wendy @ New Moms Talk June 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I got in my first open water swim of the year today! Total success! Bonus- sighting off of my sweet girl and amazing man on the shore- far easier than the snow capped mountains that were in the distance.

Following the swim, I had Trader Joe’s Jaipur Veggies and rice. The hub had TJ’s Palak Paneer with added chicken and rice.

Our street is flat, but we live in the mountains. I miss the hill I lived on in Pittsburgh, but the Wasatch Mountains aren’t so bad, are they? Nope, not at all!

Ashley June 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Today is cross training for me- so I’ll spend 40 minutes with my favorite slave driver, Jillian Michaels.

Lunch was an Asian salad with tofu, amazingly delicious.

I try to start fueling between 3 & 5 during my half marathons, but only because I have a huge problem getting enough fuel down so I take in a very little bit at a time.

Flat as pancake, but the small bumps feel like big hills to me :-)

Leah June 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm

It’s hilly here. Most people probably wouldn’t think that about southern OK.

Hopefully I can get out for a run today. It’s been a week since I ran!

Have you tried Cinnamon Almond Raisin Bran? I found it at the store today. I think I”ll take it for a spin later. :)

Elise @ Expeditions of Elise June 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm

My run was sort of in-between. It should have been easier but I ran in the morning and I was hungry so I ran faster so I could get back and eat breakfast! My lunch today was leftover pasta with pesto, peas and white beans. Yum!

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes June 18, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Lunch was a grilled cheese panini, fruit, and dove chocolate! Paninis are the best :-) My run was pretty slow today, but that’s ok! I’m glad you guys had a good walk!!!

Emily @ Running for Boston June 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I live right outside Chicago – it is flat, flat, flat. Man, that first picture is one crazy picture – I’m glad your ok. For my second marathon experience (I was pacing for my dad to BQ which he did), I ran so hard and when he finally ran ahead, I kept up that tough pace and eventually I just ran right into the back of an ambulance…..literally. That’s about all I really remember. That and they made me drink SO MUCH lime gatorade in the medical tent.

No running for me today – I’m home sick on the couch. I was so tempted several times to go out and just get in a few miles – but then I remembered I actually really want to be able to run tomorrow so here’s hoping!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm

That may just be the only picture I remember seeing of Brooke where she’s not smiling… but the last pic more than makes up for it :)

I think my city may give your city a run for its money when it comes to flattest city ever… I live in the prairies, and while we have the occasional rolling hill, for the most part things are pretty flat. And lunch today was cold leftover chicken enchilada casserole. There’s seriously nothing better than cold leftovers.

Beth @ Running with the Sunrise June 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I hate those days when the Garmin refuses to get a signal. It always seems like mine takes forever on the days when I’m running behind and I’m in a rush. My run today was 4 miles easy + 5 miles tempo, so pretty fast. I’m wondering if/how my legs will function tomorrow. Have a great rest of your day!

Megan D June 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I can’t believe you didn’t fuel for an entire marathon! Crazy chica. I take 1 gu for a half and I attempted at taking 4 gu’s for my marathon. Though for my 20 milers I only took 2…which is probably why I had a hard getting gu #3 down and couldn’t even fathem the idea of taking the 4th one I had. The thought disgusted me.

I live in a pretty dang flat part of my city. I have to run a good five miles in any direction before I get hills. But when I do, there are some pretty good hills!

No running for me today. I got some nasty blisters on the back of my heels from my run on Saturday and it hurts to wear any shoes at all – let alone run in them. I put 3 bandaids on and couldn’t make it 3 steps without pain. Booo. So I did the body pump class instead (and they still hurt, but not as bad). I think it is time for new shoes. But why do they have to be so expensive?

How long are you staying with the in laws? Looks like you are having a good time!

mary @ minutes per mile June 18, 2013 at 2:50 pm

i hit the wall due to dehydration during my last marathon — i only took Gu at miles 14 and 22! my coach is making me start at mile 7 or something for my next race.

Miranda June 19, 2013 at 12:32 am

What’s GU? I’m in the UK & sometimes it’s like you’re all talking a different language! I want a Froyo (sp?) shop here. Mmmmm

Miranda June 19, 2013 at 12:33 am

P.S. I’m still quite new to running too so have to keep looking up what the running lingo means! Gu may be a universal thing that I haven’t learnt yet!

Miranda June 19, 2013 at 12:35 am

Hello again, I’ve googled it and understand it now. In the UK, we have an amazing range of puddings from a company called GU. I can’t imagine trying to eat a pudding on my way round haha

mary @ minutes per mile June 19, 2013 at 2:26 am

Haha, yes, it’s an energy gel! Not the most delicious thing on earth but basically a way to get calories, electrolytes, and caffeine quickly

Amanda June 18, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I live in Seattle and it seems like all we have is hills. Good for building strength though

deirdre | Oh Well Whatever June 18, 2013 at 2:56 pm

So fun you guys got to hang out together, cute photo! Flat by my house but I run in El Moro on the trails and plenty of hills there!!!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More June 18, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Lunch today was leftover pizza. Almost as good today as it was yesterday!

I don’t run long/far enough yet to need to fuel. Slugs are full of their own hydration.

It’s fairly hilly here. Not Oregon hilly, but hilly enough to feel it.

Katie June 18, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I was concerned about that race picture too! Glad you were fine :) That picture of Brooke in the hat?! ADORABLEEEE. And my run this morning was slow and easy! My legs have been sore from a new workout this weekend, so I’m taking it easy on them. Bonus: my hubs ran with me yayyy

xo

Jenn S June 18, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Tonight is a talk on running and heartrate followed by a social run so it will be 3-4 easy miles. Lunch was a salad with grilled chicken and a white chocolate/macadamia nut cookie – yum! If I’m doing 6 or less miles I usually take water but no fuel. If I’m doing more, depending on how many, I have something after 5-6 miles and then go from there. I did 2 GU’s for my first half in May and it worked out pretty well. I actually have a harder time eating the right stuff before a run as I tend to get hungry by the end! As for hills – we have some crazy ones – especially out on the trails!

Jessica R @ fromthekitchentotheroad June 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I ran one mile super speed (for me) and the rest were done at whatever pace I wanted. I am trying to add more speed to my life and that is the weirdness that I called a speed workout today. It is fairly flat where I live. There are some hills but nothing too crazy.

Holly @ Healthy Living Holly June 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm

i went for a quick two mile jaunt to clear my head, and i am running a 5K race with my mom – going easy for myself, but hoping to bring her to a new shiny PR! she ran her first 5K a couple weeks ago and i nudged her to run the race tonight :)

i don’t take fuel in for 5K races or 10K races. generally if it’s over an hour then i will. for instance i start fueling at 5-6 miles in the half marathon!

i had a bunch of veggies and hummus with a wrap that had a sliced veggie burger, kale, and honey mustard inside. simple, random, but it was delicious!

i live in an area that is mostly flat, although there are mountains around me and LOTS of hills/slopes along the roads, depending where ya go!

Natalie B June 18, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I did a tempo run yesterday, so easy today/ some cross training.

Burrito from CHIPOTLE!!

During my first half I ate some shot bloks at mile 7, but during my pr race I didn’t eat anything… just drank gatorade. I’ve never done more than a half… but I’m sure I’ll need fuel for a whole.

I live in KC, MO… which itself is fairly hilly. However, most of the trails/safe running places are quite flat.

Brooke is super-duper adorable. She seems like such a happy baby!! Some of my co-workers function off 3 hours of sleep and/or their babies always seem to be crying… makes me scared to have babies of my own one day!

MILF Runner June 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I think I had one Gu during my first marathon – and didn’t finish it. Maybe that’s why my 2nd half split was more than 20 min slower than the first.

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run June 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm

This is a recovery week, so I did yoga. It was nice :)

It totally depends on where you run in my city, but it has the potential to be both flat and hilly.

For my half marathons, I start fueling at mile 3 or 4 and then fuel up every 3 miles after that.

Lauren June 18, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I’ve only had to fuel during one race and it was my half marathon. I had jelly beans and Swedish fish for the win! I was going to ask about this photo so I’m glad you decided to give a little recap! I definitely would have been done afterwards, too!

Caitlin June 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Today was a yoga day, no run. Excited about speed work in the AM though!

Lunch was tuna salad and a Luna bar.

Atlanta is extremely hilly and I embrace them. I’ve knocked a ridiculous amount of time off my pace due to running hills. They make you faster!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I am incredibly impressed you ran a marathon in 3:20 with no fuel! That’s mental strength. But I can understand why you couldn’t feel you legs… And I LOVE Raisin Bran. Amazing. Sounds gross, tastes delicious.

Courtney June 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Raisin Bran! Yummiest cereal EVAAAR!

Jane @ Not Plain So Jane June 18, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I usually start fueling at 10 but I should start earlier because I really lose my appetite which sometimes leaves me skimping on fuel later when I really need it.

Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. June 18, 2013 at 4:06 pm

slow, long run over here today – first one in a very long time

Melissa Kreher June 18, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I live in West Texas were it’s 100 degrees by 10am and there isn’t anywhere flat to run!! I love the treadmill during the summer.

Molly June 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm

for runs over 13 miles and marathons i eat one gu chomp every other mile starting at 5…i know its technically not enough but i have a sensitive stomach and it works for me!

Corrine June 18, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I don’t usually fuel unless they have M&M’s. Then I fuel twice.

My lunch today was a spinach smoothie, as always.. It was yummy though!

And I live in a super hilly area. Good for overall runs and excitement, hard to pace accurately…

I’m a new blogger, and I love your blog! So great!

Kay June 18, 2013 at 4:36 pm

slow & easy! I loved it cause I went exploring neighborhoods I’d never ventured into :)
fuel @ mile 6!
I live in a valley? It’s hilly but not terribly

michelle kim June 18, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I live where it’s super hilly. Luckily, there are a lot of trails in the area, too. I did an “easy” long trail run… 14 miles! I wanted to see if I could make it to the top without walking.
Anywho, I’m so jealous that the three of you got to go walking. Ya’ll are my favorite running bloggers. Hope to be able to meet you one day in person :D

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats June 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm

We have a good amount of hills and I actually love it. I feel like a super athlete after conquering some hills. I am super jealous you got to crash RER and SR walk!

Janelle June 18, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I didn’t run today- I cross trained by doing some weights, I will feel it tomorrow!
For lunch I had english muffin with almond butter and plain greek yogurt with half a banana whipped in and a bit more almond butter. Followed by a few wine gums. It was just what I was craving- SO GOOD!
I have never fuelled during a race (I’m training for my first half now…) so this is something I am going to have to figure out!
If I go left out of my laneway there are no hills- if I go right there are a few hills- I made it my goal this summer to go right as much as possible since I almost died running a hilly 10k last year.

Anissa Angelosante June 18, 2013 at 4:56 pm

The left over fish salad looks so yummy, better than the salad I had today.
My run was easy today, My legs have been feeling pretty dead for the past few days.

Kelly June 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I actually feel like at the end of a marathon, you SHOULD be done. I always find it weird when the volunteers rush you just because you ran a race. That’s sort of how it works?

Kathy McElhaney June 18, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Hills today – I ran part way into Diamond Head crater!

Lunch was Chinese Chicken salad at Nordstrom Cafe (and half a snickerdoodle.)

I followed the Hammer Nutrition guidelines for fueling for a marathon, which includes a Hammer Gel about 15 minutes before the race starts. I really experimented on my long training runs and found what worked and what didn’t and carried my own fuel to be on the safe side. No GI issues so I was happy!

Our home in Simi Valley (So Cal) is in a very hilly area.

Ruby June 18, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Easy run, I switched up my training and was breaking in new shoes.

Where I live is pretty hilly, and i live on fairly big hill if I want to run more then a mile form my house I have to come back up a hill. I don’t run from my house very often hah!

Allee @ Griselda Mood June 18, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Jealous of your walking date with those two gals! If I were ever walking and saw the three of you, I’d default to “total fan girl” and start shrieking and yelling “I want to be as fast as you guys! Let’s be friends” and then a restraining order would occur. ;-)

Monica L June 18, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I can’t believe you ran your first marathon that fast and without fueling-you are incredible! I’m glad you weren’t seriously injured or ill. I live in Cincinnati-very hilly!!

Meaghan @ Tale of Two Teachers June 18, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Softball tonight instead of a run cuz I had 3 meetings today and teaching- crazy day!!! Can’t wait for a sunny ball game though! Victoria has a good mix of hills and flat depending on where you are running. I had a really great hilly run yesterday that felt amazing!

Delicious black bean, mango, avocado salad for lunch today!! Made a double batch so it seems as though that’s all I’ve been eating – fine by me!! :)

Julia B. June 18, 2013 at 5:44 pm

My run was a track workout- so a mix of fast and easy! I have never fueled during a race before (except the gatorade or whatever is being handed out at aid stations). I think I might try in the half I have on Saturday.

Carrie June 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I am single parenting it this week as my hubby is away on business and I have added a kid this week, my niece is visiting. So between the 3 I am just getting my workout taking them places. How do single parent’s exercise? Do they hire a sitter? I am likely going to try to get in some Jillian on DVD tomorrow. I started today but i could not take the harrassment and giggling coming from the two older ones, I will sneak in tomorrow. Oh and a friend of mine is trying to convince me to pool run with me while my kids swim!
Lunch: mayo, chicken, avocado and yellow pepper sandwich with watermelon and celery dipped in hummus.
Fueling: I typically start around mile 4 but I racewalk so it takes me longer. I do not use as much fuel or drink as much as is reccommended. I have quite a few events under my belt and I still have not seen the need. I guess it could help with recovery if I worked on it!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs June 18, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Such a cute picture. I can tell it’s Instagram too ;) I might be a taddddd obsessed with Instagram!

Miranda June 19, 2013 at 12:41 am

Love the blog name ;)

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama June 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

We live in a really hilly area, and there isn’t a flat run to be found! Tonight we took our girls to summer track meet. I ran the mile (painful!) & my hubby ran the 800 (super painful!). But our almost 4 y/o was the real champ. She ran the 100, mile, 200 & 400. And get this – she ran the mile under 9:40! We weren’t going to let her run the 400, but she assured us, and I quote, ‘I have enough left in me.’ We couldn’t argue with that. Those ribbons sure are motivating!

Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now June 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I had a run that felt hard, but was really slow.
My lunch was oatmeal
I’ve never run a race, but I’ll probably fuel at mile 5
Hill city, man! I seriously can’t run anywhere flat

Runningwithscissors June 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I live in a crazy flat area!
I’ve ran several halfs without fueling at all but never a full. I generally start at mile 6 in a full.
My run today was an easy-peasey 5 miler. I hit 50 miles this week…yay!!! 50 is good for me.

Debbie @ Deb Runs... June 18, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Glad you were OK! It’s pretty flat where I live, but it sure wasn’t where I grew up. Those hills kick my butt when I visit my parents!

Renee @ Renee Runs Miles June 18, 2013 at 6:48 pm

No running for me today :( I was going to start 10k training yesterday and after my run, I decided to be wise and listen to the aches and pains that are telling me that I’m not ready to start training hard and I need more rest.

I live in a super flat area.

I didn’t fuel in my first 1/2. I didn’t know anything about it. And while I think I was fine, I think a little fuel wouldn’t helped. I don’t generally fuel on any training runs.

Tiffany Dutson June 18, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I don’t fuel during half marathons, but marathons I start at mile 7 or 8. I will take high elevation over humidity any day:)

char eats greens June 18, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I WISH I could let my legs take over and run faster than my planned finish. Or, at least for my half coming up to get a time that I thought I could last half, but couldn’t quite get to. I’ll be training lots though this summer to make that happen ;) and fueling as well. Girl you are so awesome for your time, but glad you fuel now!!!

Lorraine@runbuns13.blogspot.com June 18, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Ran an easy 4 very hilly miles.. and had Rice and salsa for lunch followed by a nap.. it should be my rest day!

I have never fueled before a race or during, but I need to do it. I hardly eat or drink before a race.. not a good idea either because I feel awful for at least 30 minutes after. My husband said I was white as a ghost after crossing the finish line in my one and only half marathon!

Great time on your Marathon!

Heather @ Run Like a G! June 18, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I love hills! They make me feel like a beast!

When I first purchased my Garmin, I had a hard time finding satellites even with the sun out. Now, I turn my Garmin on and hit run, and leave it on my porch for a few minutes while I put my running shoes on. I swear it finds the satellites 10X faster! Just FYI!
But it probably did take you 38 minutes with all those clouds ;-)

Hali June 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm

My neighborhood in SF (mission) is actually pretty flat but the rest of the city is not! :-) I had a simple PB&J and some watermelon for lunch today. I love seeing you three hang out… LOVE your blogs!

Tia @ Arkansas Runner Mom June 18, 2013 at 8:01 pm

My first marathon was very similar to yours! I had no idea what I was doing. I had never run more than 12 miles and no idea what fueling in a race was. Around mile 20- something someone was handing out pieces of a banana so fortunately I had some of that but it was way NOT enough and I crashed big time when I finished. (I also had some major IT band issues for 2-3 months but I guess that’s what happens when you don’t train longer than 12 miles and you run a marathon!)

Beth @ Racing Robsons June 18, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I was wondering about that picture! Also, you ran your first marathon 20 minutes faster than your goal time without any fuel? You are seriously impressive!

ashley June 18, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I had a pool run today :) It was great. Also, thanks so much for your post on resiliency, your timing is superb!

Fizz @fizzsbizz June 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Doesn’t the fog leave you drenched?? It gets so humid and I always come home extra shweaty running on foggy days.

Ashlee June 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Hilly, if I run east, flat if I run west! I looked up some running app recommendations from a post in March, and I’m wondering what your favorite is, if you use something other than your garmin…

Breanna June 18, 2013 at 10:40 pm

My run was at a pretty moderate pace today. It was a treadmill run from me and this girl who lives in our town and is really similar to me (looks and age) was running on the treadmill next to me so I picked up the speed to be faster than her (; I’m pretty competitive also, but not in a mean way. I see her at all the local races and she’s very fast so I want to be like her.

My lunch was a Southwest pasta salad from “Our Best Bites”. I love all the recipes on that website! You must check it out if you haven’t already.

I don’t fuel for anything less than a half. In the half I fuel around mile 7 or 8. Never done a full but I plan on it so I will have some experimenting to do.

Where I live is kind of hilly, but I usually run on a couple paved bike paths nearby which are pretty flat.

Ashlee June 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Also, I’m looking at training schedules for a half. Most of them want you to cross train/strength train the day after your long run. I plan to do my long runs on Saturday, but will always use Sunday as my rest day. What are your thoughts on having your rest day immediately after your long run day?

Odette June 18, 2013 at 11:51 pm

I completed my first ever half marathon back in October, and didn’t know anything about fuelling. I just kept guzzling lots of water and lucozade that was being handed out through out, and at the end, was on such a runners high/sugar high, i literally couldn’t speak. All that came out was a child babble!
Needless to say, I’ve learnt a lot since then!

Charlie @therunnerbeans June 19, 2013 at 2:08 am

I am trying to get better about fueling properly during runs/races. I ran with haribo during my first marathon, but didnt fuel at all during my halfs. This year I ran a half PR and did fuel- must have worked as I’d done less training!

Kari @ Running Ricig June 19, 2013 at 4:58 am

Today will be a slow easy run with the pup. She’s not very fast, especially in the heat, but she still loves to get out there and run.

I live in a super hilly area, which is awesome when I get to run a flat race after training around here!

I’ve always fueled, but my first marathon was a disaster because I didn’t fuel very well. I’ve gotten a lot better since then.

Mary June 19, 2013 at 7:40 am

3:20 in your first marathon? AM-AZING! :) And no wonder your legs just wanted a little break!
I never bother fueling for 10ks or less but I’ve recently discovered how great jelly babies can be on longer runs!!!

Kate June 19, 2013 at 7:59 am

Haha, everyone’s posting about the marathon. I caught the line about getting paid over the summer. Not all teachers do, unless they sign-up for their own private plan to save throughout the year. I’m an educator and we don’t get paid for the summer. I wish people knew that fact, that we don’t get paid when we don’t work!

Sarah G. June 19, 2013 at 9:33 am

I imagine that picture is a lot like what I looked like after my first half last fall. No fuel, had no idea what that was, it was hot, and by the time I finished I was flat-out exhausted. I had to sit down on a curb and just begged the medical tent people to give me ice cubes that I could hold on my eyes because I was blinded by a rush of sweat. It was not pretty.

Now, I start fueling at mile 5 and in my last half marathon, I fueled at 5, 8.5 and planned to fuel again at 12 but was making good time so I didn’t want to slow down and fumble around for my chews. Obviously I still have some work to do in that dept!

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run June 19, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Today is a slow, easy run. I may have to bail though, my daughter didn’t sleep last night, which means I didn’t sleep last night. I’m worn out.

Lunch today was a turkey sandwich with laughing cow garlic and herb cheese and some garlic hummus. So good.

I usually start fueling around four miles and I only fuel for races over 10K.

I live in Florida and it’s flatter than flat. We run bridges here to get hill work done.

Rachel June 20, 2013 at 6:31 am

Hi Janae, I found your blog thru skinnyrunner and really enjoy it! Your family is so cute! I recently ran a marathon in 3:50 after training almost solely on a treadmill. I was hoping for 3:40 but took a little spill at mile 15 that made the rest of the race really hard. I have two small kids and work ridiculous hours as an anesthesiology resident (T-2 months until fellowship!). Running in the dark, early morning is kinda scary to me, so to the treadmill it is! Even without the fall, I still probably would have missed my goal. What was your training like for a 3:35 goal marathon? Any advice would be great! Have a great day!

lacy June 20, 2013 at 10:22 am

When was your first race and how long was it?

Catie June 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I live in south central Kansas….the very definition of flat! ;)