A stride workout for you.

May 27, 2013

After a few weeks of building mileage back up after my IT Band injury we are finally starting to add some fun workouts into my schedule:

20288 gyrosigma light blue background

I went out for 50 minutes and kept my pace at around a 7:40 other than the strides that were faster and I tried to do each interval stride faster than the last.  Definitely a killer workout and as soon as I was done I opened my apartment door and walked the 10 steps to the kitchen to demolish this:

After the watermelon eating I did my normal activities of letting Brooke play with my Garmin while I do my stretching (nothing better than a brand new pair of running socks ((thanks mom)).

Having Billy home on a Monday is the best and we started watching the NEW SEASON of Arrested Development on Netflix while I did my 8 minute arms and Runner’s Core.  Watching AD and doing planks at the same time was extra hard because I was laughing the whole time.

The blanket is covering our entertainment center because Brooke loves to get into the cable box etc but if we cover it she forgets all about it:)

Billy isn’t feeling super great today so we are just sticking around home for a while and finishing up the nursery.

Can you believe how stinkin cute these prints are?  I got them from HERE!!! She has the most amazing stuff.

—————————————————————

How are you spending your Memorial Day?

Ever done strides or fartleks?  Did you have an easy run today or did you throw some speed in?  Anyone run a race this morning?

What kind of running socks do you use?  What are your favorites?

Adriana @Laced Up With Lipstick May 27, 2013 at 2:06 pm

We’ve been vegging at home all day. Today is an easy running day for me. I like wearing pro compression low trainers and Asics nimbus socks.

Sarah @PickyRunner May 27, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I feel like I could actually see myself doing a speed workout like that. I refuse to do track workouts on my own out of season and tempos just aren’t enjoyable. I feel like this one is a happy medium between easy runs and speed workouts. Can’t wait to see how the nursery turns out :)

nerri @LaPetiteRunner May 27, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Fartleks! Hadn’t heard of strides til just now but I want to try them out:)

My favorite socks are the procompression marathon and low trainers but I also have a large stockpile of the C9 champion athletic socks from Target.

Molly@ There Goes Molly Rose May 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I worked half a day then went house hunting with my hubby :) love those prints!! I bought my first pair of pro compression socks and so far so good!!

Monica L May 27, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I was on call this holiday weekend, so stayed close to home. We watched ALL the episodes of AD yesterday. I had a headache when we were done-not that I didn’t enjoy them!

Holli May 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

It is a day to remember to be grateful for the men and women who sacrificed their lives so that we can enjoy freedom in ours. We are so lucky to live in America…and to have men and women who are willing to protect and fight for us all.
Happy Memorial Day!

Leah @ Running with the Hayneses May 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Spent the afternoon driving home from our vacation in Maine! Unfortunately, it was cold and raining the entire time we were there, but we had a really fun time with my husband’s family!

Colleen May 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Precious prints!!! I hardly ever get on Etsy—I’ve got to do so more often! I had an easy run in between group ex classes today. I hate speed work, but it’s a necessary evil.

Shari May 27, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Love those wall hangings! My grandmom used to sing me that song all the time when I was little, so it has special meaning for me now. :)

Abby @ Change of Pace May 27, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I love those prints; thanks so much for sharing the link! (I always sing the song to my dog, so I imagine when I have kids I’ll be singing it to them, too!)
I sadly spent the day working since I’m from canada. Glad you got in a good run without the stroller!

Jessica R @ fromthekitchentotheroad May 27, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I did an easy 5 mile run followed by Shoulders & Arms from the P90X workout program. It was a great workout! I went to a wind ensemble performance for Memorial Day today. It was fantastic!

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners May 27, 2013 at 2:41 pm

ProCompression and my 1st choice…my 2nd choice is Target Champion socks

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 27, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Ohhh my, I just love those prints! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Debbie @ Deb Runs... May 27, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Arrested Development is on our agenda for after dinner tonight!

I just bought new Feetures, because I can’t get the Wright socks that I’ve worn for years anymore. I hope I like them!

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run May 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I will definitely have to try this workout! Thanks! Today I took my sweet old time getting out of bed (I finished a book, read blogs, etc), went for a run, went to the pool, ate lunch, now I’m doing laundry and getting ready to go to the grocery store. It’s an exciting life, I know, but someone has to live it ;) Tonight I’m excited for the season premier of Bachelorette!!

Jenelle May 27, 2013 at 3:26 pm

YAY for the new season of Arrested Development. My husband and I are watching it tonight too!

Oh, and I LOVE the prints you shared. Very cute.

LosingLindy May 27, 2013 at 3:29 pm

my fav socks are bagala or however they are spelled

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats May 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I can’t wait to see Brooke’s room! I have been driving home all day after a long weekend in the mountains :) hope you have a great day home with Billy.

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes May 27, 2013 at 3:48 pm

We had a pool day with my nieces and nephews! Now just relaxing and trying to make a dent in our leftovers from the weekend. Considering there’s cookie cake, brownies, and ice cream, I don’t think it’s going to be too hard :-) I’ve always been a fan of fartlek because it’s so versatile. You can use mailboxes, lamp posts, etc. as markers and control it based on how you feel that day.

Ari @ The Pace of it All May 27, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Those prints are adorable, I LOVE them. Thanks for the workout!!

Mallory @ My Quarter Life [Crisis] May 27, 2013 at 4:00 pm

that is so cute. feel better billy!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life May 27, 2013 at 4:19 pm

My husband And I are only in the first season of AD! So funny.

And I wear Injinji toe knee compression socks since I run in five finger shoes.

Breanna May 27, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I ran a race this morning! I ran the Laguna Hills Half Marathon and got a nice shiny new PR (: Now I’m just resting the rest of the day.

My favorite socks are Pro Compression. Their socks are the only ones that don’t cause crazy blisters for me! I like the marathon socks for races and I usually use the shorter ones for training runs.

The Hungry Runner Girl May 27, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Wahooooo! Congrats on your pr! That is so awesome!

Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now May 27, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I spent the entire day reading blogs in my pj’s

I’ve never done that kind of workout; I also didn’t ru today because it was a rest day

I have no idea what kind of socks I use but I love them.

Tell Billy that I hope he feels better!

Katie May 27, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Running socks are THE best. I have some weird ones that aren’t as awesome, but my boyfriend has some amazing ones from RoadRunner that I would highly recommend.

Whitney May 27, 2013 at 5:00 pm

The hubby and I went away for the weekend to resort town in the high desert here in
Oregon. We went on a 12 mile mountain bike ride yesterday. Didn’t do any running, but I figured the bike ride and a 4 mile walk was sufficient cross training. :p

Emily @ Running for Boston May 27, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I love doing Fartleks and sprinting at the end of the run! For Memorial Day, I’m hanging out with my cousin/sister and family!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs May 27, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Aw that wall art is too cute :) congrats on your run!

Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama May 27, 2013 at 5:58 pm

The wall art is adorable! I need to check those out for my girls’ rooms. I do 100 meter strides at the end of my track workouts to work on form. We drove home from Atlanta this afternoon. The last three days have been filled with lots of food, fun, and family. Perfect way to spend the weekend!

Anna @ Aspiring Anna May 27, 2013 at 6:22 pm

YES YES YES!!!! How are you liking the new season of Arrested Development! I’m obsessed and I like the “young” Lucille and George Sr.!! Anyway, I like the stride idea of the workouts, instead of all out sprinting! And I don’t wear socks at all while running… (is this bad???)

michelle kim May 27, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I love doing fartleks and strides. They’re good ways to incorporate a little bit of speed (without scaring me off with an actual speed workout).
I will do an easy shakeout run today since I just ran a full yesterday morning.

This Little Runner May 27, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Katie Daisy on Etsy, her shop is called The Wheatfield <– check her out immediately!! You will not regret it! Her prints are colorful and whimsical and wonderful.

If I'm not running in ProCompression, I'm a big fan of Swiftwick socks!

Katherine May 27, 2013 at 7:27 pm

That watermelon looks good!

Stephanie May 27, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I hadn’t really done strides until the last month or do but I enjoy them! Today was a speed day and I nailed it which was so great to do before a day at the pool :)

Pam May 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Janae!! I love the cute prints for Brooke’s nursery!!! Soo cute. Can’t wait to see the finished product. :) Hope Billy feels better soon!

Happy to hear your IT Band is feeling better. :) I enjoy strides. Such a great workout! I wear a running sock brand called “feetures” & zensah compression. :) love ya!!!

STUFT Mama May 27, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Dang- did Arrested Development already come out? I gotta get on that. Sooooo happy for you that you’re back to running injury free. Can’t wait to get there. And can’t wait to see the nursery when it’s done. :) Hugs!

Hali May 27, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I ran, baked, relaxed, and just finished the night with a movie! Great job on your workout! Glad you are staying IT band healthy :-) Happy Memorial Day!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes May 28, 2013 at 4:29 am

i see that the gentleman in “8 minute arms” has just as much fashion sense as the ones in “8 minute buns.” it makes the workout hurt less. i love it.

Kari @ Running Ricig May 28, 2013 at 5:22 am

I am in desperate need of new running socks. Mine are falling apart, but they are so pricey and I am cheap.

I can’t wait to see Brooke’s nursery!! We spent yesterday mulching the front yard and then lounging around outside.

Leigha May 28, 2013 at 6:52 am

Brookes nursery is going to be the cutest one ever! I really like that workout. Might have to do it today! Yesterday I ran a 5k and won it for the women! 20:31! A new pr!!

The Hungry Runner Girl May 28, 2013 at 7:02 am

Ahhhhhhh way to go girl!!!!

LynetteK May 28, 2013 at 8:43 am

I spent Memorial Day watching Arrested Development too!! So excited about the new episodes!

Kate Mayeski May 28, 2013 at 11:28 am

I loooooooooooooooooooooove Smart Wool socks…. I buy them from Road Runner Sports or on Amazon.com :)

P.S. congrats on having the cutest baby ever!