Things to do in San Francisco pt. 1

March 5, 2013

We got to San Francisco just in time to park the car and walk over to a restaurant in the Mission District for lunch.

Brooke absolutely loves sitting in high chairs.

We went to a restaurant called Chow for the best pasta dish I have ever had.  Billy and I decided to get two things and split them. I could eat the sauce on this pasta like soup it was so good and the salmon was perfect.

We also had the fish tacos and fries which were delicious too.

After lunch we walked a little ways to Dolores Park.  I have ALWAYS wanted to go here because you can see the whole city from the park.

I told her a funny joke.

We hung out at the park just sitting there (next time I really want to take a picnic there) for a while and then went to Hayes street which has awesome shopping.  This green building jumped out at me and I knew I had to go in.  La Boulange is an adorable French bakery.

Yes, I was already hungry again so a little pastry wasn’t going to cut it, instead I got this potato and ham tart.  So good.  I really want to learn how to make something similar to this.

After a stop to Union Square.

To go hang out in Sausalito.

We walked around the town and sat by the water and then walked all the way over to go to the museum because I wanted to make the day somewhat educational for Brooke.

But since we are awful at researching things to see when they are open we got there and it was closed.

Spring Break Day #1 was a success.

—————————————————————————————————

Check out my post about my favorite baby gear HERE!!!

—————————————————————————————————

Do you get mean when you are hungry?  Quiet?  Sad?

Tell me the THREE BEST THINGS to do in your city?

What is something you have been craving lately?

-Pancakes with strawberries and lots of syrup.  AKA what I am going to have for lunch today.

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes March 5, 2013 at 5:04 am

I think it’s totally acceptable to get a little mean when you are hungry! I know I’m that way (a little mean is a generous statement!) Three best things to do in Houston… the weather is warm right now so taking advantage of that. There are also some pretty awesome dessert shops ;-) Now I am also craving pancakes! I think I want chocolate chip though… also with lots of syrup!

Kait (@runKaitrun) March 5, 2013 at 5:10 am

haha i totally get crabby when i get hungry. sometimes i just shut down and sit there in silence. my boyfriend and i have a rule that if either of us are hungry after work, we can’t call the other one until we have eaten.

Wendy @ New Moms Talk March 5, 2013 at 5:10 am

Lately I’ve been craving homemade granola, and as a result, it’s on my list of “to make” things today. I was craving beans yesterday which resulted in our black beans and rice dinner. Yum!

Colleen March 5, 2013 at 5:11 am

I’ve always wanted to go to San Fan! It looks beautiful. I get rude/snappy with ppl when I am hungry. This is not good since I’m a teacher–ha! I have to have my emergency snacks with me–for the kids’ sake.

Shari March 5, 2013 at 5:11 am

San Francisco looks like such a beautiful place. Those views are unreal! :)

Jen O. March 5, 2013 at 5:15 am

Looks so incredible in Cali! I <3 San Francisco! Spring has not sprung yet here in NYC :( I get SO MEAN when I'm hungry! My boyfriend has evolved to sort of be in catastrophe mode if it's 8pm after work and he has not fed me yet. I tend to be dramatic – like "if I do not eat in the next 5 minutes I'm going to keel over and die" dramatic.

I'm obsessed with fish tacos. My family is from Portland, OR and when I'm home…I eat them literally almost every day.

Best things to do in NYC:
1. Central Park
2. 2 Little Red Hens (baked goods)
3. Little Italy (Cannoli's)

Kari @ Running Ricig March 5, 2013 at 5:16 am

I definitely get hangry. Mike likes to keep snacks on hand now so that never happens.

I live in a tiny town so the most exciting thing to do is sit on the beach in the summer or go sledding in the winter.

Pam March 5, 2013 at 5:21 am

looks like a purrfect day Janae! :) love all the pictures. I need to come visit you!! :)

Kelly March 5, 2013 at 5:21 am

These pictures are all adorable, it looks like you had a great day together!! Sometimes I get kind of cranky when I’m hungry, but I’m usually very quiet about it! I think it’s definitely understandable! The best things to do in my town are probably the beach and lunch at Surf Taco! And pancakes with strawberrries sounds delicious but I’ve been craving chocolate chip pancakes like no other!!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles March 5, 2013 at 5:23 am

I get mean when I am hungry and quiet when I am tired.
The best things to do in Phoenix: the Zoo, pick a mountain and hike, pick a pool and lounge.
I was craving pizza but we satisfied that on Friday.

The Kidless Kronicles

Andrea @ mainerunnergirl March 5, 2013 at 5:23 am

Those pictures at the park are beautiful! We don’t live anywhere close to the city but I will do 3 things in our teeny little town- Bethel, Maine 1) Zipline at Sunday River Ski Resort 2) hike Rumford White Cap in July and pick fresh blueberries at the top (bring your Tupperware!! 3)have a picnic at Screw auger falls

Corey @ When We Wander March 5, 2013 at 5:36 am

I definitely get “hangry” (hungry-angry) I feel bad for the people near me when it happens! I don’t really live in a city but the three best things to do in my town would probably be 1. eat a sandwich from the general store, 2. walk up and down main street and look at the historic homes, and 3. get ice cream from our creamery!

Kristi March 5, 2013 at 5:39 am

I get super mean and irritated (you breathe wrong and I’m yelling about it) when I’m hungry. So, I understand.

Three great things to see in my city:
1. The Water Wall near the Galleria
2. The Beer Can House (yes, it’s made of all beer cans and it’s actually a wonderful work of art)
3. Mt. No Rushmore, which are replica sculptures of Mt. Rushmore and located right outside of downtown Houston where three freeways intersect. It’s actually in a dumpy area, but the view of downtown Houston is amazing.

The other thing that is on my list is the Rothko Chapel, which is supposed to be this awesome museum of spirituality. Apparently, they have this meditation room in which made a top 10 meditation places in the world on Conde Naste Travel Guide. I’m going there soon and I’m betting that would be on my list. I didn’t know if I should put restaurants, but Uchi Sushi is top notch. One of the Iron Chef winners is the chef there and his food is absolutely amazing.

heather @ run eat play March 5, 2013 at 5:39 am

That pic of Billy and Brooke is beautiful!

I get crazy crabby when Im hungry – so I always carry snacks!

Jessica R @ fromthekitchentotheroad March 5, 2013 at 5:45 am

That looks like a fun day. I have been craving peanut butter lately. I finally we t and bought a sugar free version yesterday so I can enjoy it again.

NYC Fit GIrl March 5, 2013 at 5:46 am

Looks like you guys had a really fun cute day!!

cori @olivetorun March 5, 2013 at 5:49 am

I am definitely not a gem when I’m hungry.

I’ve been craving sweet potato fries a lot recently… I had NEVER had them before moving to NC and marrying my husband but within the last two months or so I’ve discovered why I stayed away… they are SO addicting!

p.s. the picture of Billy and Brooke is ADORABLE!

Laura March 5, 2013 at 5:55 am

When I am hungry I definitely get really quiet and don’t talk to anyone because I know if I do it wont be something they want to hear. I always try and carry a granola bar or apple incase this ever happens!!
I live just on the outskirts of Montreal and three great things to do here are:
Visit the Old port (I’m sure you would love this, just walk along the pier, visit all the street shops, there is also an IMAX movie theatre and lots of history along this walk)
Another thing that’s great is our downtown shopping one Ste Catherines street, a whole street lined with the best of the b est shops.
Lastly you’ll want to visit Mount Royal. In the summer time you can picnic, run, walk, sleep on the mountain. There are so many different trails, there are lakes and paddleboats too. In the winter you can tobbogan and sled down the mountain (parts of it, because it’s actually huge) It’s the biggest green space on the isaldn of Montreal.

It’s wonderful. I can’t get over how cute Brooke is. Have an amazing trip

TorontoRunner March 5, 2013 at 5:58 am

I had a co worker in the past who would seriously be down-right MEAN when hungry. We all knew to never let her go to lunch late!! haha!

that picture of billy and brooke overlooking the city is precious!

Allison March 5, 2013 at 6:01 am

So fun! Looks like a great day!

Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 5, 2013 at 6:03 am

Love the pics of the city! Brooke is such a cutie.
I feel like you are eating more real food and less sweets lately. First that crepe and then the potato and ham tart. It’s like I don’t know you anymore!

Jenn@ Run It My Way March 5, 2013 at 6:03 am

I love that picture of Billy & Brooke! Ha, I was looking for the ‘Like’ button for a minute when I saw it… Then realized I MUST.stop.Facebooking, that’s so bad!!

Looks like you guys had an awesome day :) It’s raining slush where I live today.. I’m pretty jealous!!

Brynne March 5, 2013 at 6:03 am

Hah! It’s so nice to hear I’m not the only one when it comes to being extremely cranky when I’m hungry! It can ruin whole outings if I don’t get to some food quickly.

Lindsey March 5, 2013 at 6:06 am

I love San Fran!
I just get grumpy and quick. Lol.
We have beautiful trails, so spending time on them, visiting a local coffee place that is converted double decker bus and going to the beach – which is about 15 mins away.
I have been craving veggies! Weird I know ;)
PS loved the favorite baby things post!

Natalie @ Free Range Human March 5, 2013 at 6:08 am

I get so mean when I get hungry! It’s really bad. I snip at everyone, and am just down right no fun to be around!

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 5, 2013 at 6:20 am

missed by just a couple weeks! I was in san fran about 2 weeks ago – looks like the weather is still good for ya too!
and when im hungry i get mean :) definitely haha

Megan March 5, 2013 at 6:26 am

If I’m being a little bitchy my bf’s first reaction is “when is the last time you ate?” he learned to stop doing this because I get even more cranky! I love DC because you can get to the mountains in about 30 minutes. I also love running around it because there are so many random sculpture gardens that I had no idea existed! And for cravings… sweets all day every day… hey mother nature, wassup.

Nikki @ run+breathe+be March 5, 2013 at 6:38 am

Beautiful! (Your family and the trip). I would love to go to San Fran!

Both my husband and I are notoriously grumpy when we’re hungry. If we’re both overly hungry, watch out. The “What do you want for dinner?” Game gets ugly and whiny.

Deana March 5, 2013 at 6:42 am

I get completely mean when I am overly hungry. This is luckily a rare occasion, but seems to hit when we are on a road trip and far from an exit. The thought of food then consumes all my thoughts. It’s ugly. :)

In my immediate area is great! We have have lakes for swimming within a few miles from our house, rivers to kayak, sidewalk/paths to run, great jungle gyms. It’s pretty awesome when the weather is nice!

Valene March 5, 2013 at 6:45 am

OMG>>I Get mean..at least thats what the hubby tells me. He jokes that we need one of those “break in case of an emergency” boxes like fire extinguishers are held in. Only replace the fire extinguisher with a chicken leg. Have the kids throw at me and run for hiding until my sugar levels even out.
I think he is exaggerating just a bit but..whatever:-)

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 5, 2013 at 6:48 am

Looks like a great SB day! I get very grumpy and tired when I am hungry so I try to carry snacks with me at all times lol

Amanda March 5, 2013 at 6:50 am

I get really mean when I’m hungry. I feel so bad but it honestly gets to the point sometimes that if I don’t get food now I’m going to hurt someone.

Erica March 5, 2013 at 6:52 am

I have the shirt you were wearing today…….and it made me happy!…… and feel stylish.

I have been craving rocky road ice cream lately, which is weird because I usually do not like chocolate based ice creams.

I get easily annoyed when hungry. Like all of the sudden certain noises, people’s habits, the fact that the house isn’t clean……etc become like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Tracy March 5, 2013 at 6:57 am

Oh my goodness!! The second picture in this post… The one of Brooke looking up. Almost too cute for words! Just had to let you know!

Sarah @PickyRunner March 5, 2013 at 6:58 am

When am I NOT craving pancakes? YUMMMMM. Brooke is too cute- all of your pictures always look so professional! Do you have paparazzi stalking you everywhere? ;)

Heidi March 5, 2013 at 7:01 am

Your pictures in the park are gorgeous!!!

I have been totally craving soft pretzels and pancakes lately! Sounds like the perfect meal before/after my long run this Saturday! ;)

Danielle@ Eating Running Living March 5, 2013 at 7:07 am

Three Things:
1. I get cranky when I’m hungry for sure! I’s kind of a problem, I’m working on it :)
2. Brooke is getting more and more adorable every day!
3. That little bakery looks fake, like a backdrop in a movie. So perfect!

Ashlee March 5, 2013 at 7:09 am

My husband calls me HANGRY when I dont get food – Hungry & Angry haha

Nina March 8, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Hello =)My husband and I will be going to erpoue, which include rome, paris and so on between 11 may – 26may 2012. I am interested in taking the pre-wedding photo in Paris/italy, open for suggestions too as itinerary not fix. Could you advise me on the Package price and details. Thank you.

Emily @ Maple Miles March 5, 2013 at 7:10 am

I definitely get grouchy when I am hungry! For some reason, I have been craving strawberry Poptarts lately…it hit me in the middle of teaching a class yesterday. :)

You and Billy take the most amazing pictures!!!

Kara March 5, 2013 at 7:15 am

My family HATES when I get hungry. To the point, that my sister refuses to be around me until I’ve gotten some food in me and gotten my blood sugar up. I guess you and I handle hunger similarly, Janae.

Fat2Phat - My 175lbs. Weight Loss Journey March 5, 2013 at 7:17 am

Gosh, I need to get to San Francisco soon! My one goal is to eat crab off the street (not literally, but you get what I’m saying) and go to Alcatraz. Plus, it’s just a fun city to wander around. Totally jealous!

Amy N. March 5, 2013 at 7:49 am

Salmon is one of my favorite things ever. Yummy.

Looks like a beautiful day filled with fun adventures! I’m glad you guys are having a good time!

I totally get mean when I’m hungry.

Katie March 5, 2013 at 8:04 am

I just get really cranky when I’m hungry, which I suppose turns into me being mean. I usually try not to talk to anyone when I’m feeling like that because they’d probably hate me after awhile.

michelle kim March 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

I totally get cranky when I’m hungry. .. so I’m much more irritable.
I was craving sushi and noodles and got to fulfill those cravings over the weekend :)
Living in sf means yummy food everywhere! Too bad I don’t eat out too often.

Christine March 5, 2013 at 8:12 am

My fiancé knows I’m hungry when I get grumpy and its hysterical because he can also get grumpy when he’s hungry. Once the food hits my tummy, I’m happy again!

mary @ minutes per mile March 5, 2013 at 8:22 am

I turn into a monster when I am hungry. I also am very mean when I don’t get my run in and my fiance is well aware of both of these issues!

Brooke @ Running In Heels March 5, 2013 at 8:24 am

I love that Billy said you don’t get as mean when you’re hungry.. too funny! I unfortunately still speak unkind words out of hunger.. oops ;)

Sarah @ OurPersonalRecords March 5, 2013 at 8:34 am

San Francisco looks GORGEOUS!! It is now definitely on my list of cities to visit.

I love the word “HANGRY” (hungry + angry) to describe my emotions when I get hungry :-)

The three best things to do in Baltimore are:
1. The Aquarium!
2. Eat at a restaurant on the waterfront in Fells Point
3. Go to an Orioles game

BrittsRunningStyle March 5, 2013 at 8:51 am

I love the word Hangry too!

Bri March 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

I’m a total bear when I’m hungry… it just teaches people that I need to be fed on a regular schedule. I have been craving lasagna & I’m finally going to have it on Sunday! I begged my mother in law to make it for me & she said yes!

BrittsRunningStyle March 5, 2013 at 8:50 am

I don’t get mean when I’m hungry, just really tired. My stomach gets really loud and growly too.

In my town there is an awesome little ice cream and seafood shop about 8/10 of a mile from my house – Waterman’s Beach Lobster. They sell Gifford’s Ice Cream. So delicious! There is a nice sandy beach, the only one around for miles – Lucia Beach, or now it is called Birch Point State Park. I also love taking my kids to walk down the road next to our small town’s municipal building. Great for them to ride bikes on. There is also a basketball court and two tennis courts which no one ever uses. I can jog around and do sprints while they play :)

I have been craving Nerds!

Annette@FitnessPerks March 5, 2013 at 8:52 am

I totally get antsy and a bit snappish when I am hungry–like real hungry. My husband knows that I must eat! hah.

Looks so fun!

Kate @ So Cal Runner Gal March 5, 2013 at 8:59 am

The Mission is my favorite part of SF! I love Dolores Park Cafe — so good!
Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!

TORI March 5, 2013 at 9:07 am

2 priceless pictures in this group – the one of her and Billy from behind and the one with you holding her up in the air over the entire city. True love is expressed effortlessly in both shots.

Melissa March 5, 2013 at 9:13 am

Man, I am HORRIBLE when I am hungry…snappy and not fun at all. I should really tell my friends to keep candy on them at all times, it sounds like Billy had the right idea!

Tracy March 5, 2013 at 9:28 am

Have you gone to Baker Beach in San Francisco? It’s beautiful!

Meghan March 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

I love San Francisco! My brother lives in the Mission, and it’s such a fun area to visit. Next time, you need to try Tacolicious and Tartine bakery, both are in the Mission.

If I had to pick 3 things in Seattle, I would say to go to: Pike Place Market and grab some mini donuts to eat while you walk around, head over to Alki Beach in West Seattle for lunch and a walk on the beach, and then go to the Olympic Sculpture park and have dinner downtown somewhere.

Blaire @ Just Been Running March 5, 2013 at 9:47 am

Oh my gosh I am SO jealous you were in San Fran and Sausalito!! I think I say that every single time you go there, but San Fran truly is my favorite city in the World and I would give anything to move out there!

Little Brookers looks adorable as usual :) I’m glad y’all are having fun on SPRING BREAK!!! I miss those good ole’ days of Spring Break…never again :(

Yes, I get a HORRIBLE food-tude when I don’t eat. The husband knows to stay away from me when I am hangry :)

Blaire @ Just Been Running March 5, 2013 at 9:53 am

Oh oops 3 things that are fun to do in Charlotte, NC…hmm let me think!

1) There are lots of cool museums here like modern art, and historical ones.
2) The NASCAR hall of fame is here and Charlotte Motor Speedway (where they race)…not necessarily my cup of tea, but it attracts a lot of people!
3) Carolina Panthers football games are fun!

It’s a cool city on the up and up because we are the banking capital of the South so it’s a nice, clean, fun place to live! Lots of parks and “greenways” to run on and it’s a big time place for cyclist! Bike paths everywhere!

Kristine March 5, 2013 at 9:53 am

Ahhh Chow is my FAVORITE! The burger is SO GOOD! They put it on an Acme Bread Herb Slab Roll and ohhhhmygoodness amazing. You absolutely MUST go to Tartine Bakery – just go early because the good stuff sells out fast! Also – you guys would LOVE the Ferry Building Farmer’s market – so. many. samples. My favorite thing to do is run there, eat, and grocery shop :)

Sharisse March 5, 2013 at 10:01 am

Best of Sacramento:

1) Eat at Squeeze Inn (burger joint featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives),
2) Walk around Old Sacramento, and
3) River raft on the American River!

annie March 5, 2013 at 10:06 am

This is my first time commenting on your blog, but I have been following you for a bit! You and your family are so cute. I am obsessed with Brooke!!!!!!

Allison March 5, 2013 at 10:21 am

Sounds perfect! What beautiful pictures :)

Katie M. March 5, 2013 at 10:27 am

What a gorgeous day in SF! I especially enjoyed this post because I found out today that we are most likely moving to CA this year (from Seattle). Yay! We will be almost directly between San Francisco and Sacramento. I’m excited for some sunshine.

Ashley @ OurPersonalRecords March 5, 2013 at 10:29 am

I don’t know what to call what happens when I’m hungry, but it’s ugly.

I’m majorly craving some Chipotle! Could their guac be any better??

Three things you need to do when visiting Buffalo, NY:
1.) Niagara Falls – if you’re viewing it from land you should make the trip to Canada, it looks much better from there than from the US
2.) Go to a Sabres game — people here love hockey
3.) Visit the Frank Lloyd Wright houses

Katie March 5, 2013 at 10:31 am

Next time you are on Hayes Street you MUST go to Stacks for pancakes! They have literally the best pancakes of my life. I think they have a few locations in the South Bay too – I highly recommend it!!

courtney! March 5, 2013 at 10:38 am

hey girl! looks awesome =]
3 great things to do around me: visit the ben & jerry’s factory (nom nom nom); hike! beautiful hikes all around; and run around the corn maze! (a maze made out of corn that grows above your head– takes hours to find your way out!) COME VISIT! :]
craving: anything with peanut butter. or sunbutter. or almond butter. also, cookie dough.
i get soooo hangry. it’s dangerous!
have fun!!! xo

emi March 5, 2013 at 10:43 am

darling pictures! glad you went to la boulange, i love that place! and dolores park..you should have gone to bi-rite since it’s right there, but i have a feeling that YOU ARE OFF SUGAR!!!! hah i am proud of you if that is true! sausalito is a dream, so happy billy has spring break and you guys can play! XO

Theresa March 5, 2013 at 10:49 am

Your family is so cute! It looks like you had a great day in SF, I’m glad you are enjoying Billy’s break from school.

I get hangry too! My boyfriend started keeping snacks when we’re out and about so he can fend off my moodyness haha!

I moved to SF last year and I am still learning all that this great place has to offer! I still haven’t made it to Dolores Park, but your pictures make me want to add that to the top of my to do list!

Bobbi March 5, 2013 at 11:11 am

Angry for sure. We call is “Hangry=Hunger+Anger” or “Hunger-saurus”

Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 5, 2013 at 11:19 am

I get very hangry, as my husband says!! My mood totally plummets when I am hungry. I just moved to my city so I am not sure what the best things are! We have however been to the art museum, and that was a blast! I have been totally craving chocolate animal crackers. I love these!

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny March 5, 2013 at 11:24 am

San Francisco is on the top of my vacation list right now!
The three best things I’ve done in NYC – eaten at Peter Lugers, been in times square at midnight on new year’s eve, and been to a met’s/yankees game. It’s hard to choose though, because I could name 10 best things just when it comes to food!

Crystal@TheFastFitRunner March 5, 2013 at 11:32 am

I Never get sick of San Fran….and I can not WAIT to take my husband to Sausalito. Although he has been to Sanny Franny 3904823049823 times more than me, he has not been to Sausalito. Maybe that will be a good first trip for our baby!

Katie@LifesNextBigStep March 5, 2013 at 11:43 am

I get mean and sad when I’m hungry. And I’m pregnant right now so it’s 10x worse than normal! I’m craving sweets – of course…anything with chocolate pretty much fits the bill. I’ve never been to San Francisco but I really want to now – it looks fantastic! I’m in Richmond, VA and the best things to do here are eat, be outside near the river, and go to festivals!

Suzanne March 5, 2013 at 11:51 am

I get irrational and angry when I’m hungry. My mood entirely changes.
3 best things in Philadelphia: Mutter Museum, Fairmount Park, Food. all of it.
Cravings lately: nothing in particular.
I wish I could go to San Francisco! Or live in California! One day…until then, I’m dealing with a possible 4 inches of snow tomorrow. good times.

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries March 5, 2013 at 11:59 am

Awwww looks like so much fun! I’ve never been to California, much less San Francisco, but it looks so beautiful! My roommate actually just found out he’s being transferred to Sacramento for work, so I’m going to make it a point to visit him and hit up Chow while I’m there. That pasta looks SO GOOD!

Lauren March 5, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I’ve only been to San Fran once but I don’t think I had the full experience. We got stuck in the touristy areas so it felt very congested and not as authentic as I had hoped. I definitely need to go back and experience some of the things you share!

Joanna March 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Brooke’s mischievous face in the fifth photo is killing me! Those cheeks are so pinch worthy lol!

Meagan @ Managing Meagan March 5, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Brooke is too cute for words. Your pics are SO adorable!!!

Meghan March 5, 2013 at 12:36 pm

1. Yes, I frequently get the “Hangries” (Hungry +Angry) My husband has also learned a few tricks :) I guess I should learn how to control them as well, but isn’t that why you get married?? .. just kidding.. sort of.
2. 3 best things to do in Milwaukee: Lakefront Brewery tour, Eat Cheese, Milwaukee Art Museum
3. I am craving a Mocha Shake from Alterra (local coffee shop). I will have one on Easter when Lent is over. Advice for any fellow Catholics, do not give up coffee for lent if you rely on it to function. It has been a rough couple of weeks :)

Thanks for all the posts and reading material. Brooke is the cutest baby ever!!

Sarah Carman @running2xs.com March 5, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Potato and ham tart looks absolutely delicious. What fantastic running fuel too!

I love making quiches sort of similar to that. A good one to try can be found at http://www.preparedpantry.com/Potato-Ham-Quiche-Recipe.htm. Add whatever vegetables you like!

Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives March 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I wouldn’t say I get mean when I’m hungry… unless being short/quiet quickly can be counted as mean, lol. My hubby and I are alike… when we’re hungry we don’t have much to say at all, until there’s some food in our bellies! ;-)

Something I’m craving right now… more quality/lazy-day time with the hubby! The weekdays can be so busy, and before you know it, we’ve finished dinner and it’s time to prepare for the workday in the morning. The wknd can’t get here quick enough. Lol!

P.S. The pics of Brooke… ADORABLE!!! But that’s nothing new ;-) – love your blog!

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run March 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Oh yeah. I get grumpy for sure. My friends and I call it being “Hangry” (Hungry Angry). It’s totally a thing and it’s a perfect excuse to always have food around :)

Hiking, eating ice cream or fro yo (I swear we have a million places here, including the BEST college ice cream) and attending college basketball or football games. Totally the best things to do here.

Craving a good run followed by a stellar nap. That’s what this girl wants.

Samantha March 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Oh man. I am starving. I just looked at that spaghetti picture and now my stomach is seriously rumbling. :( Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I love the color of that green building (that mint color has been a big trend in nail color recently). It’s so cool that you live so close to California that you can just drive up and explore the area when you guys have time. That picture of Billy and Brooke looking out over the city is awesome – definitely frame worthy. :) Enjoy the rest of Billy’s spring break!

Fizz @fizzsbizz March 5, 2013 at 1:47 pm

You nailed all three in San Francisco!
So I’ll talk about the three best things to do on Sydney:
1. Ferry ride to Manly
2. Harbour bridge climb
3. Sculptures by the sea walk.

Lately I have been craving anything salty!!

Andrea March 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I just started reading your blog and love it! I have run 3 half’s and want to do a Sprint Tri this spring – hopefully. Your blog is very motivating since not a lot of my friends run so I think they get tired of me constantly talking about it, lol (for most people I know a long run is anything over 4 miles). I can’t wait to read more! And Brooke is adorable, she looks so happy in all the pictures I’ve seen.

Lately, I’ve been craving curries. Loving Indian food right now!

Cheryl March 5, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Holy cow I live at Octavia and Hayes! Sometimes I get the La Boulange chocolate croissant after long runs … so good.

Diana March 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I am pretty sure that Brooke is THE happiest baby I have ever seen – she always has the cutest grin on her face!

When I’m hungry, my anxiety goes through the roof. Everything is a HUGE stressy deal – then I eat a sandwich and realize it’s all really NBD.

Holly KN March 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I get a little mean. Mostly impatient. It’s worst if I’m also being dragged on a shopping trip…

3 Awesome Things To Do In Singapore: EAT (seriously), Hike at MacRitchie Reservoir (there are MONKEYS!), and…tie between the Singapore Flyer (huge ferris wheel) and Night Safari (nighttime zoo trip).

Cathryn March 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I was SO close to you – we went to Duboce Park instead that morning, which is a few blocks away. Gutted, that would have made my day. I LOVE La Boulange as well, their soup is fantastic. There are a few on the Peninsula, check there’s not one near you! And we love Sausalito too – there’s a place opposite the ferry station (a little to the right on the main road) which does awesome ice-cream!!!

Sara M. March 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Janae!

My husband loves Bonobos, too! And he is an IP lawyer. We honeymooned in the bay area (Monterey, Carmel, Napa, San Fran) and loved it! I think we actually drove through Santa Clara on the way to Monterey from San Fran. We are kind of life-twinners a little bit! :) Thanks for sharing on your amazing blog!

Sara

The Hungry Runner Girl March 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm

That makes me so happy! Come back out and visit!!!!

Kay March 5, 2013 at 5:06 pm

What a fun day!! Sorry the museum was closed!

I definitely get Hangry but I usually know how to handle it myself before it gets ugly haha

Denise March 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm

When I’m hungry and can’t find food, I PANIC. I think I was in a starvation camp in a previous life!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom March 5, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I get HANGRY when I’m hungry, mean, mean, mean. I usually carry 12,000 snacks with me at all times because I don’t like being grumpy. In my city, there’s the beach (of course), downtown, and there’s lots of great restaurants and zoos and stuff :D

Julie March 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm

How cute is your family!?!?? And, I get light-headed when I’m hungry, so then I get a little cranky and/or quiet.

3 Best things to do in my city: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1.) Go to the lake – swimming, walks, ice cream, concerts, beach volleyball, festivals….you name it! Love it.
2.) Explore the Third Ward – historic area with lots of great restaurants and a pretty cool river walk
3.) Brewery Tours – Milwaukee, like all of Wisconsin, is really into beer and there’s lots of fun breweries to explore – even fun for non-beer drinkers!
4.) Doing a fourth because I want to include the Milwaukee Art Museum :)

You will probably never come to Milwaukee – but it’s a great town with lots of Midwest charm.

Carol March 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Did you happen to get made-to-order ice cream at Smittens in Hayes Valley? That ice cream is so creamy and delicious, they make them fresh! It’s a little covered stand right next to the park:

Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk March 5, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I get INCREDIBLY DRAMATIC when I’m hungry. Really I’m sure it’s super charming, but my boyfriend begs to differ.

Your awesome San Francisco trips are making me want to plan a trip!

Laura @ beanstalk March 5, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I just have to say that pic of you and Brook with the city in the background is priceless. You should frame that one for sure!

Hali March 5, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Hello! I LOVE, LOVE your blog and was so happy to see that you were in SF today. I live in the Mission and am often at the park :-) I am so glad you enjoyed your day.
I definitely get very grumpy/angry when I am hungry! Next time you are in SF you should try humphry slocombe (an AMAZING ice cream shop in the mission) and IKE’S sandwiches (TO DIE FOR sammy’s in the castro).

Your daughter is adorable by the way!!

Hali :-)

PeachyLau March 6, 2013 at 12:35 am

I call it being “hangry” (hungry+angry). That sums it up lol

Jess March 6, 2013 at 2:55 am

I get grumpy when hungry and known to be snappy. Worst case was Xmas shopping two years ago. Had to leave store and head straight to food court.

Top things to do in Brisbane Australia
Walk around South Bank and have a drink over the river
Head to the Sunshine Coast for beach day
Cruise along Brisbane River and stop at New Farm Park for a picnic

Jen Shaw March 6, 2013 at 6:59 am

You were right by my sister’s house! I should have told her to say hi! I love taking the kids to Hayes to walk around and get goodies when we are in town. Yum!
I’ll be up there for the Presidio 10 in April. Have you heard? Sounds like a great race, 10miles, and you get to run over the GG bridge! I am so excited!

Melina March 8, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Hi, Ken,I posted an eniruqy in your old blog, and just found out that u have a new website. BTW, I saw your schedule at July as Provence of France, Moscow, Santorini. May I know when u will be at France (what period of date) ? I would like to know if i can catch up. Else, if u will back to London UK at mid-July ?And most importantly, how much would that cost for pre-wedding ? And any package price?Thx for your information in advance.Christy

share April 21, 2014 at 1:56 am

It’s imperative that more people make this exact point.

MILF Runner March 6, 2013 at 10:05 am

The Bay Model is really cool. I remember going there for a field trip in fifth grade. It isn’t just the bay but also the immediately adjacent Pacific Coast and all the tributaries, going up into the delta. Definitely worth a visit. Also, Fort Baker in Sausalito is the home of the Bay Area Children’s Discovery Museum (sort of under the north footing of the Golden Gate Bridge). Very fun for ALL kids.

Kara March 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I am the same way when I get hungry! My husband learned while we were dating that a happy Kara has a full belly :) Three best things to do in Santa Cruz: 1. Run/walk along West Cliff Drive 2. Hike & picnic at Wilder Ranch 3. Walk along the wharf and see the sea lions and get some dinner.

Kalyn March 6, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Hey Janae! I’ll be visiting San Francisco next month for the 1st time and I’ll have an entire day on my own! Eek! What are your suggestions of “must-do’s??” I’ll be staying in the Berkeley area, but I don’t mind venturing into the city. Help!! :)

K

Selina May 13, 2013 at 11:57 am

Aaw Brooke is so cute! I am heading to San Francisco this summer!!! Yay! So soon and sooo excited! Thanks or the tips – So far we’ve booked a Wine Country Tour (yum!) teh GoCar tour! (fun!) lol and an indefinite visit to the iconic golden gate Bridge!
Great pictures by the way! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Megan September 1, 2013 at 5:29 am

I love San Francisco! We went last summer and had a blast. I did not know about the awesome view from Dolores Park- I wish we could have gone there. Oh well, next trip!