I learned how to do something EXTREMELY important yesterday.

March 31, 2013

Another day on the good old rower.  See the tennis match on the tv?  That kept me somewhat entertained (I used to play tennis in high school and I still love watching it) and the rest of the time I thought about how happy I am that I didn’t keep running through my IT band pain because I think it is finally healed (coach is still having me take more days off just to be extra safe).  If I would have kept running on it I would be out of the beautiful game of running for way longer than I have been.

I also went to a pump class and it was my first time going to this teacher….  by far the hardest pump class I have ever been to.

Lots of normal things like lunch/errands/playing on the floor with Brooke happened and then I learned the most important thing I could ever learn:

Billy and I watched a show on the Food Network that taught us how to make donuts.  Expect to see homemade donuts on this website very soon.

I think I have 12 boxes of pasta in our cupboard so I decided we should probably start eating some of it.

PS do you still think that Billy and Brooke look a lot alike?  Of course she has the phone in her hand.

Cheesy Grown Up Spaghettios.  In high school I had an obsession with spaghettios and I have missed them dearly so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it.   It was so good and I loved the added chicken and cheese.   We also had rolls because clearly a bowl full of pasta didn’t have enough carbs.

My life is about to change drastically.  I think we have a ‘crawler/scooter/somehow gets around the room all by herself’ on our hands.

After dinner we went to decorate Easter Eggs.  I have been planning out my designs for this event since February so it was kind of a big deal for me.  I will show you all of the amazing eggs that were created in the next post.

—————————————————————————

Anyone else play tennis in high school?  Does anyone play tennis now?

What were some foods that you were obsessed with in high school?  Did you/do you like Spaghettios?

What was the last group exercise class that you went to?  Do you remember what the first ever group exercise class was that you went to?

-Pump and the first ever fitness class I went to was step aerobics at the rec center when I was 16… gotta admit, that class was really fun.

Who else has a crawler in their house?!?!

Amy @ Writing While Running March 31, 2013 at 5:06 am

Go Brooke, Go! She’s going to be a fast one. And her and Billy totally look alike :)

Amy @ Writing While Running March 31, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I totally made those Spagetti-Os this afternoon after I was starving and needed something FAST and easy. Awesome!

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes March 31, 2013 at 5:07 am

Oh my goodness a crawler?! Just in time to hunt for her very own Easter eggs! We were obsessed with spaghettios as kids. And yes I see you and Billy in Brooke! Gorgeous family :-)

Kim March 31, 2013 at 5:10 am

I think Brooke looks just like you!

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy March 31, 2013 at 5:18 am

Awe, crawlers are so fun! AND you get an extra workout now.
I used to be obsessed with Venna Sausages. THEN I watched “unwrapped” and found out how they are made and what’s in them… ew.

Sarah @pickyrunner March 31, 2013 at 5:21 am

Happy Easter! I hope Brooke enjoys the Easter bunny ;) your dinner looks delicious. Definitely looking up that recipe when I get home. I’m running out of creativity with my cooking, or lack thereof. I’m glad you’re realizing how smart it was to extend your rest with running. It’s hard to say no I’m done but the long term effects are so much more important.

Nelly March 31, 2013 at 5:22 am

YES Brooklyn is a super crawler now…9 months and gets everywhere! Fun though because now the CHASE begins!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 31, 2013 at 5:27 am

Aw how cute. I can’t wait to see the eggs. We take dying eggs very seriously around here too.

HollieisFueledByLOLZ March 31, 2013 at 5:31 am

That photo of Billy and Brooke is too cute.

I have a donut maker…similar to a waffle maker but cooks it in the shame of a donut LOL. (Not sure if really counts…I have a dunkin a few blocks down the road though).

The first class I ever went to was a step aerobics class when I was 16. The second youngest person there was over 60 but the ladies were so nice and greeting. If they weren’t, I don’t think I would have come back and then became a step instructor in the coming years. Funny how that works out!

Therese March 31, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I miss Dunkin Donuts so much since leaving New York. Not one single one of them in California.

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona March 31, 2013 at 5:44 am

You’re going to have your hands full with a crawler!

The last group class I want to was yoga.

Logan @ Mountains and Miles March 31, 2013 at 5:50 am

I never played tennis, but my dad is a tennis coach, so I grew up around it. I think it was crushing to him that both of his daughters chose soccer over tennis, ha, but he rebounded well and coached us in that, too. I love watching tennis!!

Homemade donuts sound perfect!!!

Kelsey March 31, 2013 at 5:54 am

I must say–I have been having an internal debate lately on who Brooke looks like. I feel like she is the perfect hybrid of you and Billy, but somehow she looks SO much like him!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 31, 2013 at 5:54 am

I played tennis when I was younger, probably age 4-12 or so! I wasn’t too great though, just played for fun! And I remember having a huge thing for homemade trail mix in high school, my friends and I would all make our own and my favorite ingredient was dried pineapple! And M&Ms…

Laura @ beanstalk March 31, 2013 at 6:03 am

I’m seeing some HRG in Brooke! I think she looks like you, at least from what I can tell from the pics! =)

I grew up playing tennis since I was a youngin. Played through high school & beyond. I actually met my husband at a tennis clinic four years ago. I love it!

I also loved spaghetti-o’s in high school. What else? Zebra cakes, oatmeal cream pies, eggo waffles, mac & cheese, hamburger helper. Holy processed foods! Oh, high school metabolisms… Can’t eat like that any more. Ha.

runtothetruth March 31, 2013 at 6:07 am

I don’t think it was the teacher that made it harder – the new body pump release (out this weekend) is THE HARDEST – I’ve done so many releases and I got to body pump 3-4 times a week and I was swearing and sweating at the end of every track. This new one has got some power!

Billy and Brooke definitely look alike :)

Can’t wait to see you running again soon – you’ve made me realise that I can keep up running by pool running next time I’m injured (hopefully not soon)

Losing Lindy March 31, 2013 at 6:20 am

I think she looks more like you.

Happy Easter

Lindsay March 31, 2013 at 6:24 am

Glad you’re feeling better. Rest is so key, and I’m trying to get better at it. Hope you guys have a Happy Easter :D

Karen March 31, 2013 at 6:24 am

I don’t think I have ever commented on your blog, so let me just say that your daughter is beautiful! Now, onto the questions. I grew up playing tennis, took lessons for years and my parents were tennis nuts. This, however, led to me rebelling and not wanting to play when I got into my teens (despite being pretty good without trying…I had a killer forehand!) As for classes, meh…I took a yoga class once a very long time ago and struggled, I think I’m more of a solitary exerciser? Happy Easter to you! Cannot wait to hear about these donuts.

megan d March 31, 2013 at 6:35 am

Ross makes the best donuts. I leave all frying related jobs to him. Also, don’t ever try the’baked’ donut recipes you see around pinterest. Just an insult to donuts ;)

I think spaghettios are disgusting. Never had them till I was married and ross made me try them. He said I had been missing out. Wrong. Him and Annabelle like them though. I think I lived off rice and ice cream in high school.

My new is just classes. Circuit style weights everyday and I am loving it!

Brooke is the perfect mix of you and billy. Love her outfit ;) I hope you have a great Easter. Now that brooke is crawling, she can hunt for eggs on her own! ;)

Rachel McIntyre March 31, 2013 at 6:38 am

I think Brooke looks just like you :)

I wish I could play tennis. I’ve tried so many times, but my hand-eye coordination is non-existent!

The first class I went to was circuit training when I was about 17. I haven’t been for years. I’d love to go again.

Laura @ Live, Run Sparkle March 31, 2013 at 6:42 am

Your homemade spaghettio’s look amazing, I really need to try those myself. I was/am obsessed with grilled cheese since I have been 4 years old. Its probably my most favourite food ever.

The picture of Billy & Brooke is adorable, definitely a frame-worthy photo.

Amanda March 31, 2013 at 6:58 am

I loved Bagel Bite’s in high school. I could eat a third of one of those big boxes from costco in one sitting…those were the days

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 31, 2013 at 7:12 am

Billy & Brooke DO look a lot alike!!! that is a great picture of them by the way.
When I was younger i went through a major cup-a-noodle phase. And also there was a stint where I ate peanut butter and mint jelly sandwiches (yes, mint jelly like you put on lamb…)

Becky March 31, 2013 at 7:17 am

I played tennis in high school and I absolutely loved it!! That and volleyball were my favorite sports! I played doubles my first two years of high school and then switched to singles. What did you play? I still love to play now, and whenever my fiance and I have time we like to play together. Like you, I still love watching it!

When I was in high school, I loved spaghetti!! But some things never change, I still love it just as much! :)

Last group exercise I went to was Six pack cycle, because I taught it. First class I ever went to, pilates!

Kayla @ Fit Life Forward March 31, 2013 at 7:39 am

My husband LOVES spaghettios I should probably make him that recipe to earn some wife points.

Brittney @teaberrytrails March 31, 2013 at 7:41 am

I’ve never actually payed tennis, but my great gma played until she couldn’t (which was only about a year before she passed at the grand ole age of 87!!!) I used to love watching her! She enjoyed it so much!
I think my first group class was yoga flow. So fun! It made me stretch aprts of my body I never thought I could! I still enjoy going to them when I have a chance!
Annnd Brookers and Billy def look alike! Adorable!

Jazz March 31, 2013 at 7:55 am

This doesn’t answer any of your questions but I had Mexican ‘fried’ ice cream last night and think you need to make it! Found it on pinterest..

Christina@LiveDreamRun March 31, 2013 at 8:08 am

I always thought tennis looked fun…until I tried it in high school and learned it isn’t just hitting the ball back and forth. Apparently there are rules to the game. ;-)

Spaghetti-os were once a favorite in my childhood years. Then, when I was a teenager, I ate them just before coming down with the flu. The end. I now cringe just seeing the cans at the grocery store.

My group workouts consist of having more than one running buddy at a time. ;-) It’s a nice change to running solo all the time.

While I see a lot of you in her, Brooke is his mini me in your crawler picture.

Breanna March 31, 2013 at 8:31 am

Never played tennis but my boyfriend actually just mentioned maybe playing for fun sometimes on the weekends!

I’ve never had spaghettios. My parents would never let me have them. My dad is from Italy so he always would say “Let me make you some REAL pasta!”

Last group class I went to was a kickboxing class. Didn’t like it. First was yoga at our gym I think

Meagan March 31, 2013 at 8:40 am

We used to make donuts using a refrigerated can of biscuits. We would punch out holes in the biscuits using a soda bottle cap, and then we’d fry the donuts and donut holes in a pan. Then we would dip them in sugar/cinnamon/etc. They were the best!

Brooke’s hair is getting so long! And I can’t wait to see your Easter egg designs. I always had big plans for mine, but they never came out like I was hoping they would when I was a kid.

Ali March 31, 2013 at 9:04 am

I played tennis in HS, not for school but with a private tutor/class. I was awful, but it was a lot of fun!

Enjoy the adventure that is child-proofing your house :o)

michelle kim March 31, 2013 at 9:14 am

I used to play tennis in high school (varsity my junior year). Then I stopped and now it’s so hard for me to play again :(. I wish I kept playing so I could be crazy good right now. Oh, well.
Happy Easter!

Melissa March 31, 2013 at 9:16 am

To me, Brooke’s eyes and shape of eyebrows look like Billy’s. Her smile looks like Janae’s. I agree she is a perfect mix of both her parents!

I played tennis as a kid and in high school. I haven’t played in a long time.

Food obsession in high school: Definitely frozen yogurt! (Some things never change!)

I’m not sure about first group exercise class. Last one was Barre (its ballet based).

Have a blessed Easter!!

Cori @ olivetorun March 31, 2013 at 9:18 am

That picture of Brooke with her tongue sticking out a little cracks me up.
I too was a spaghetti o and a mac and cheese girl. HOWEVER, spaghetti os should never have meat mixed in and mac and cheese is always better in shape form.

Chelsea March 31, 2013 at 9:19 am

I was never much one for tennis – I always felt like I was tripping over my own two feet. Billy and Brooke have the same eyes, I swear, and pretty snazzy ones at that! I can’t wait to see what kind of crazy adventures Brooke gets in to now that she’s a scooter!

sue March 31, 2013 at 9:31 am

I started pump class at the Y about a month ago. I really do enjoy it–I always feel like I got a great work out and I know I’m getting stronger ever time I go! And all of the teachers are great.

Katie March 31, 2013 at 9:41 am

Look at Brooke goooo!! :) She looks so excited about it, too! Yay! I loooove tennis- my entire family would always play together :)

xo

Anna @ Sincerely, Anna March 31, 2013 at 9:56 am

Brooke and Billy do really look alike, they make such a sweet pair!
Happy Easter to you and your little family! :)

Alyssa @ See This Girl Run March 31, 2013 at 11:15 am

First of all, Happy Easter my friend! I do like spaghettios although the ones you made look waaaayyy better than anything you can buy in a can. Yum!

My roommate played tennis in high school and keeps wanting me to play with her. She might regret her request after she sees me play, but I’ll probably take her up on it.

Last group fitness I went to was Zumba and the first one every I think was Kickboxing. I really want to hit up a spinning class soon!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 31, 2013 at 11:39 am

I ate plenty of healthy foods in high school … S’more Pop Tarts, Chewy Chips Ahoy cookies, salt and vinegar chips, McDonalds, Burger King … it was a miracle that I didn’t die of a heart attack at 17 years old. ;)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm

High school was all about the Beefaroni and KD for me. And I distinctly remember PopTarts, McFlurries, Cheerios, and Eggos making regular appearances.

Happy Easter to you and your family :D

Debbie @ Deb Runs March 31, 2013 at 1:11 pm

HaHa! Brooke is going to take off running some day and won’t stop! My first group exercise class was an aerobics class at a YMCA in Logan, Utah when we lived out there.

Happy Easter!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs March 31, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I’ve never tried tennis. Both my parents and my sister play, but I’ve somehow never tried it? Go figure ;) Brooke and Billy do look alike! My first group class was Zumba… It was fun, but I guess I don’t like dancing with 60 year olds ;)

Lindsay March 31, 2013 at 3:07 pm

You should put up a video of Brooke crawling/scooting!!! Please, pretty please!!! Ill but you a box of donuts and raisin bran :)

Runningwithscissors March 31, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I’ve always thought Brooke and Billy looked sooooo much alike!
In high school I was obsessed with dipping French fries in a full cup of mayo from McDonalds!!!! Really? Yes really. Yuck!!!! I’m not saying that I wouldn’t still enjoy it but I have my wits a bit more about me. :)

Larissa@ Running with the Dragonflies March 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I’m a nanny and I have a big walker now! It keeps you busy!

Kay March 31, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I played tennis in HS too, woohoo! And omg I saw that recipe and I wanted to eat it immediately haha. Yours looks delicious!

nerri @LaPetiteRunner March 31, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Those spaghettios look amazing!!! Now I need to have them too :)

Zoe March 31, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I just went to the HARDEST yoga class I have been to in my life! And I have done a bikram for 60 days challenge! We were seriously in plank for at least 5 minutes total.

Julia March 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I played D1 tennis and can’t miss watching it year round on the tennis channel!
I’m also a Physical Therspist so glad you’ve rested your ITB. Don’t forget some targeted glute med work plus good old lower abs.
I ve never commented before but love your blog
Keep. Smiling!

kendra @ http://www.kennygump.com/ March 31, 2013 at 8:39 pm

2 little runners in my house. life will never be the same is right!

taco bell bean burritos and cereal were where it was at in high school! oh and plain white bagels. high school kids are so funny.

brooke is a perfect blend of the 2 of you. she is such a smiley happy little girl!

Brittaney@Blue Sports Bra Girl March 31, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I’m pretty sure I lived off of Pesto Tortellini.

I love food network! Diners, Drive Ins, and Drives (I believe) is one of my favorites. Except now I want to travel at all times and try ever restaurant I pass!

Brooke is getting so big! And she really does look like you both!

STUFT Mama April 1, 2013 at 12:03 am

I really need to talk to you about running/injuries. I need some advice. Ahhh…….. and oh man, just wait until Brooke is crawling and climbing on everything!!!

Kari @ Running Ricig April 1, 2013 at 5:01 am

I went to a yoga class last week? Two weeks ago? I can’t remember. I haven’t done classes in so long!

courtney! April 1, 2013 at 8:05 am

whoa! brookers totally looks like billy in the last photo!!!!!

shelly April 1, 2013 at 9:07 am

On the row machine, do you know what that device is (near the fan part) that you can move from 1-10? It doesn’t feel more difficult to me, so I’ve always wondered.

The Hungry Runner Girl April 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

It is the resistance but I don’t really feel a huge difference either! I feel the biggest difference in resistance when I speed up!

Aubrey April 1, 2013 at 3:51 pm

could you maybe talk about the rowing machine and how one can improve on it? I tried it today for the first time but not sure what it’s benefits are. I know you are mostly doing it b/c of your IT Band issue but isn’t it always good to do a little cross training.

Thanks!

The Hungry Runner Girl April 1, 2013 at 8:06 pm

HEY AUBREY!!! Thank you so much for your comment! The rowing machine is AWESOME!!! It is the best total body workout, it targeets all of your major muscle groups! It gives you an aerobic workout and it is also strength training at the same time! It is impact free which lowers your risks of getting injured! I would first make sure that your form is correct and then to improve you could improve in the distance and or speed that you row! Over the last few weeks I usually shoot for 10,000 meters but then I try to take off some time each week. I hope this helps a little bit. Here is an AWESOME article about it!

Leigha April 1, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I think Brooke looks just like you! She is the cutest baby ever. I’ve never been a spaghettios person but those look super good!