My cereal tradition and a hike.

March 6, 2013

Every day during Brooke’s nap it is my own personal tradition to have a bowl of cereal.  I eat it on the couch and allow my cereal at least 2 minutes to get soggy before I eat it, it is a fun time of day for me.  So yesterday after my cereal tradition Billy and I watched House Hunters and somehow fell asleep too.  All three of us woke up with a ton of energy so that meant we had to go out to the mountains.

I think she really likes nature.  One of my goals as a mom is to provide as many experiences as possible for Brooke to explore the world and foster her curiosity…

Billy rocks.

Power walking up the hills with Brooke made it feel like I was pregnant again.  I don’t know how I used to run while pregnant.

And my newest favoritest ‘framing it today’ picture.

DSC 9544  1

When I look at her in this picture I feel like she is yelling, ‘THIS IS SO FUUUUNNNNNNNNNNN!’

For dinner I went to a church activity with a bunch of girls to eat soup, salad, rolls and cake.

Funfetti cake.  Why does everything that has sprinkles on it make me so happy?  Glitter does the same thing to me.  So does pie.

5 a.m. wake-up call for my spin class today!!! I am so excited I probably won’t be able to sleep.

———————————————————————————

Soggy or crunchy cereal?  Do you have a cereal you are loving lately?

-SOGGY!

Do you enjoy hiking?  Do you go often?  Prettiest place you have ever hiked?

Do you have a snack tradition that you look forward to?

Sarah @PickyRunner March 6, 2013 at 5:01 am

Her face. Oh my goodness there are no words. Please frame all of these pictures and keep them and show her once she’s old enough to appreciate them. They are absolutely precious. I’m just beginning to love hiking. It’s fun if you have the right company. With Billy and Brooke, you can hardly go wrong :)
I hope spinning goes well for you!!!!!

Diana March 6, 2013 at 5:03 am

Once again, happiest baby IN THE WORLD! Love it!

Crunchy cereal with a peanut butter spoon (just put peanut butter on your spoon, not complicated) is where it’s at with me! I try not to stock cereal though as I will quite literally eat the entire box in one sitting and then no one’s happy.

Emma @ Culturecopia March 6, 2013 at 5:14 am

I’m with you on the cereal situation haha

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes March 6, 2013 at 5:04 am

Cute braid ;-) If you like sprinkles you should check out the cake balls I made yesterday! I will have to bring some to you when we come visit! They are also funfetti! I like crunchy cereal. I always make sure some of it doesn’t touch the milk at all so it’s still hard. And yes I love hiking! The best place I have ever been was in Breckenridge, CO. Just beautiful!

Colleen March 6, 2013 at 5:08 am

Precious pic!!!!! Soggy cereal is the way to go. I don’t hike much where I currently live, but my hometown has some great mountains that I used to enjoy hiking. Honestly, my favorite place to “hike” is the beach….ha. Power walking through the soft sand is a workout!

aine lunney @ainesadventuresabroad March 6, 2013 at 5:09 am

Love crunchy cereal and I love frosted flakes- YUM!

I barely ever hike I have to start it looks like so much fun

Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 6, 2013 at 5:13 am

I love any type of chex cereal and it must be crunchy! I especially love the honey and cinnamon flavors!
The husband and I love to go hiking, we have a lot of metro-parks where we live and they are pretty hilly!
I really look forward to my after dinner snack of cereal! haha

Monica L March 6, 2013 at 5:14 am

CUTEST. BABY. EVER.

Emma @ Culturecopia March 6, 2013 at 5:14 am

That picture of you & Brooke is so awesome :). I don’t have a snack tradition, and like Diana said above, I can’t keep cereal stocked unless I intend on eating an entire box in two days… haha oops! I do love hiking though! The best place I’ve ever hiked was in Nicaragua (I was there last May for school!!). We hiked up an active volcano, Cerro Negro, and tobogganed down the other side on the dried lava!! It was the most fun experience, plus amazing views – and at the top of the volcano you could look down into it and watch the smoke come up! Turns out the volcano erupted two weeks later – but no one was hurt! Have a great time teaching spin!

Laura @ Live, Run, Sparkle March 6, 2013 at 5:14 am

I feel the same way about glitter and sprinkles…they just make the world a better place. Funfetti cake is my all-time favourite (but I think in Canada it is called Rainbow Bit…same thing), and I insist that someone make it for me every year for my birthday.

I live really close to the Niagara Escarpment and I hike there in the summer time, it is really peaceful and you can see deer sometimes which makes it exciting.

Brooke has the best smile, she’s always in such a good mood!

Megan March 6, 2013 at 5:15 am

Crunchy cereal all the way! I like to eat it dry. BTW that picture with brooke yelling is AHmazing!

Wendy @ New Moms Talk March 6, 2013 at 5:16 am

1. Beautiful photos! Way to go to both of you for capturing those moments!

2. Crunchy cereal!

3. The most amazing place I ever hiked was Patagonia. I was supposed to run for 18 days, but did silly stuff and wound up hiking. The beauty of southern Chile and Argentina is hard to describe, but it was wonderful!

It was my “last me” trip before I wound up meeting Scott and having Susanna. We’ll return one day, ojala.

Amy @ Writing While Running March 6, 2013 at 5:22 am

I need crunchy cereal! I hate the sogginess. Best place I ever hiked: too many. I’ve lived in Colorado, traveled to the Alps and the Himalayas. Too many to pick from!

Shari March 6, 2013 at 5:26 am

I’ve never been hiking, but just wrote an entire scene about it for a book … now I want to go! :)

Logan @ Mountains and Miles March 6, 2013 at 5:31 am

I love hiking!!! In Colorado we hike a lot of 14ers – the mountains over 14,000 feet – and the views are always so gorgeous because you are above everything else and can see for miles and miles!!

Sarah @ OurPersonalRecords March 6, 2013 at 5:34 am

Brooke is SO adorable!!! She looks like such a happy baby!

Living in a city means there’s not much of a chance for hiking but the last time I went was in LA close to Santa Monica when I was visiting a friend from college. It was gorgeous!

Also- you can never go wrong with funfetti cake! :-)

Angie March 6, 2013 at 5:37 am

Brooke is adorable! A happy baby is the best. We love taking our baby boy hiking. He loves bein outside and it’s so much fun to see him taking it all in and discovering life!

Mallory @ ifgravityhappens March 6, 2013 at 5:43 am

Those pictures look awesome! I cant wait for summer and to be able to go on hikes again! You all look so so happy!! Especially Brooke :) Good luck at ur spin class!!!

cori @olivetorun March 6, 2013 at 5:43 am

I do not like soggy cereal. I need to taste a little crunch!

My husband and I hike pretty often when the weather allows it and we LOVE to hike in the mountains of North Carolina (where we are from).

NYC Fit GIrl March 6, 2013 at 5:45 am

Brooke is too damn cute and she looks like such a happy baby!! Yumm that cake ahhhh I love sprinkles!

Luan March 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm

O The Q-Tip, I have learned that life is much eeaisr from The Behind. And o how I wish I had sisters to be behind!With love from the BleuP.S. I have missed you all very much and am trying very hard to return to the part of life we’ve so enjoyed Life with Our The Blog Buddies!

Erica March 6, 2013 at 5:46 am

Someone brought in doughnuts to work today and I immediately said “I get the one with the sprinkles” I agree, extra happiness there.

Love to hike in CO, especially a 14′er.

Into raisin bran right now, and the Honey Bunches of oats greek.

Wendy March 7, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Are you kidding me right on!!! This siglne father with custody of two wonderful teenagers is right there with you. Best part is when they keep stacking them to top of sink and say ” dad they gotta soak”. How about get your hands wet, rinse and scrub if need be. You won’t melt.

Lindsey March 6, 2013 at 5:46 am

I am not a huge cereal fan because of soggy cereal! I need mine crunchy.
I love hiking, we are close to the Rocky Mountains so try and go in the summer aty least a few times. I want to go more though.
No real snack traditions, but I used to love my after school snack of soda crackers and Kraft smooth peanut butter.

Brittney @teaberrytrails March 6, 2013 at 5:49 am

I love hiking! We took the girls and they had a BLAST! We have so many outdoor opportunities here too, so it makes it that much more enjoyable! And can I tell you how much glitter makes me happy too? It’s like my favorite color (because we all know that glitter is a color)!

Karla @ myhighonlife March 6, 2013 at 5:50 am

Her smile is so beautiful and contagious! Love it :)

I really enjoy hiking but don’t get out enough to do it. I plan on it this summer when I’m in Missouri though and also when I get back from army training… there’s a beautiful place called Devils Lake up here in WI with some pretty great hiking.

I eat cereal probably once a year, and have to eat it asap because I hate soggy cereal!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 6, 2013 at 5:58 am

Ohhhh my, I love that picture of you and Brooke too – she is too cute! What kind of baby carrier is that? How do you like it?

Soggy vs. crunchy? The type of cereal is my determining factor. Some I prefer more soggy while others I like to eat right away so that it’s still crunchy.

I love hiking, especially out here in Utah! There’s soooo many gorgeous trails. I can’t wait til it warms up a bit more so that we can go often.

Corey @ When We Wander March 6, 2013 at 5:58 am

Such a cute picture of you and Brooke! I like my cereal partly soggy – partly crunchy. I can’t wait once the weather gets nice so I can get back outside for a nice hike! My favorite snack of the moment is animal crackers dipped in a Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese wedge! Salty and sweet is my fav combo!

Lorraine@runbuns13.blogspot.com March 6, 2013 at 5:59 am

It’s true.. sprinkles.. glitter.. all are wonderful in life.. the more the better!

Your hiking in the mountain pix are beautiful.. I need to see green again!!!

chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 6, 2013 at 6:00 am

that picture is SO precious! her blue eyes are amazing! I wish i lived near awesome hiking trails like you do!

Tiffany March 6, 2013 at 6:01 am

Can you please post one picture/situation where Brooke completely loses it (like a “normal” baby)?!?! All of your pictures with Brooke out in restaurants, etc. do not look like me and my 6 month old out in public…haha! :)

Also, question for you – what carrier are you using? I have an Ergo and love it but it doesn’t allow my son to face out, so I was thinking of buying a 2nd carrier.

Jenn@ Run It My Way March 6, 2013 at 6:02 am

Oh no- my cereal gets tossed once it gets soggy in the bowl, I must eat it IMMEDIATELY to avoid any sogginess!

I live very close to the Cape Breton Highlands in Nova Scotia so we are near some of the prettiest places in the world to hike. I’m training for my first ultra this summer and it’s going to be mostly in trails, so I’m pretty pumped to get to train on the trails over the summer!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles March 6, 2013 at 6:04 am

CRUNCHY! I do hike. South Mountain in Phoenix is the prettiest. And there are 33 trails to chose from! The largest urban park in the country. And I live about 200 yards from it.
Snack tradition is that I mix animal crackers, almonds, cashews and peanut butter m&m’s. YUM!
The Kidless Kronicles

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 6, 2013 at 6:04 am

I can’t stand soggy cereal. I pour the milk and immediately start eating it bc once it’s soggy I start to gag lol I love hiking but don’t get to go nearly as often as I’d like. Our views in fl aren’t quite as impressive as yours either!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 6, 2013 at 6:07 am

Ah that reminds me I need to find a church and a good church group, I feel like I’m putting it off though until I know whether or not I’ll still be in Chicago after July. LOVE that picture of you and Brooke!

Andrea @ mainerunnergirl March 6, 2013 at 6:08 am

We really got into hiking when we moved to Maine! In the winter we snow shoe hike but I like summer hiking better :)

Brooke @ Running In Heels March 6, 2013 at 6:10 am

OMG Brooke is too cute!! Frame all of those pictures immediately!

Kasey March 6, 2013 at 6:10 am

Funfetti is amazing. We had a local bakery add sprinkles to the cake batter they used for our wedding cupcakes. Yes, I HAD CONFETTI CUPCAKES for our wedding!
I don’t say this often, but I would babysit that adorable Brooke of yours! She’s too cute! I usually only say that about puppies.
I like the process of cereal going from crunchy to soggy. Best of both worlds.

Lauren March 6, 2013 at 6:13 am

Ahhh that photo of you and Brooke is priceless. Two beauties :) definitely a framer!

Rachel McIntyre March 6, 2013 at 6:13 am

So cute!!

I’ll eat cereal any way, crunchy or soggy!

I love hiking, but don’t go often. The most beautiful hike I’ve been on is up Mount Merapi, a volcano in Indonesia. It was really tough, but worth it for the views at the end.

michelle kim March 6, 2013 at 6:18 am

Awww that picture is SUPER cute! It really does look like she’s saying that :D!
And the prettiest place I’ve hiked was in Yosemite. We were walking by a big river of water that eventually led to a huge waterfall. It was sunny, but felt like air conditioning with the water next to us the whole time.

Natalie @ Free Range Human March 6, 2013 at 6:21 am

Such a cute picture of Brooke!

Finally! A subject I can get behind :) I love to hike! My husband and I are backpackers, and we’ve hiked in several places around the country. The prettiest place we’ve been has to be Glacier National Park. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. It’s breathtaking.

Heather @ Run Like a G! March 6, 2013 at 6:23 am

Love the pictures!!! :)
Wish we had nice weather here!
Good luck today!!! YAYAYAYAYAY!

Sarah March 6, 2013 at 6:30 am

That cake looks amazing!!

I grew up in the Adirondacks so I have been lucky enough to hike in some beautiful places for most of my life. However, there is one mountain that is very small that I like to hike when I go up there because it only takes about an hour each way, and there is a water tower at the top you can climb up into and get an amazing view!

Rhonda and Sandrine March 6, 2013 at 6:31 am

We both like our cereal CRUNCHY!

Megan S @ gourmet or go home March 6, 2013 at 6:35 am

Good luck on your spin class today! (I used a power outage as an excuse to skip mine this morning:) Don’t temper yourself at all, the higher energy spin instructor the better!! Especially in the early morning. I feel like you’d be such a good spin instructor (spinstructor?) you should teach at Toadal Fitness in Santa Cruz:)

Julia B. March 6, 2013 at 6:35 am

I love hiking! I don’t go very often but I think the most beautiful place I’ve gone is Puerto Rico in the El Yunque forest.

Jessica R @ fromthekitchentotheroad March 6, 2013 at 6:40 am

I love to go hiking but I rarely do it. I need to find some good trails and make my husband to with me.

Jade March 6, 2013 at 6:42 am

I cannot wait to hike with my future kiddos! Ah, looks so fun! :)

Heidi March 6, 2013 at 6:43 am

Yes, that is a “frame immediately” photo!!

I love my cereal soggy, too! What is your favorite cereal? I think my all time favorite is Cap’n Crunch :)

I LOVE to hike! The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon is absolutely breathtaking! :)

Allison March 6, 2013 at 6:46 am

That picture should totally be a hiking advertisement. It’s perfect. You have such a fun, active family! I definitely like crunchy cereal and I think my favorite will always be the cinnamon burst cheerios.

Lauren March 6, 2013 at 6:48 am

I love soggy cereal! Cereal that is not drowning in milk, but just enough to soak it all up to make one big mushy mess in my bowl is a perfect bowl of cereal in my eyes. Chex is perfect of this!

Katie @ running4cupcakes March 6, 2013 at 6:50 am

I like my cereal crunchy – so much so that I don’t even eat mine with milk!

Gabby @ Marathons and Macarons March 6, 2013 at 6:52 am

The prettiest place I’ve ever hiked was up Mt. Etna (a volcanic mountain) in Sicily. You get to the top and see volcanic craters dotting the sides of the mountain and the Mediterranean sea stretching below!

Sarah March 6, 2013 at 7:00 am

I like my cereal crunchy!

And that photo is totally adorbs! I would frame it 37 times and put it in EVERY room. :)

Sarah

Holly KN March 6, 2013 at 7:02 am

Oh, my goodness. Brooke is killing me here. :)

We’ve done some great hiking in Portland and Vancouver…but my winner would *definitely* have to be the Grand Canyon. I mean, it’s not all lush and green and wet – but it’s a giant GASH in the GROUND (that you can hike into). Whoa.

I love my raisin bran soggy. Everything else, I like to start crunchy, and finish soggy. The best of both worlds!

Emily @ Maple Miles March 6, 2013 at 7:02 am

Crunchy cereal all the way!!! I can’t stand when it gets soggy. I like crunchy cereal so much that I often eat it dry–especially Cinnamon Chex!

Prettiest place I have ever hiked is in the Adirondacks. Such beautiful views!

Traci March 6, 2013 at 7:04 am

CRUNCHY! I don’t put much milk in my cereal because I can’t stand it soggy! I didn’t know I liked to hike until we went to Vegas in Oct & we went to Zion Nat’l Park. It was gorgeous!! I live in Louisiana so there aren’t a lot of places to hike.

Megan D March 6, 2013 at 7:08 am

That picture is beyond adorable. Gosh that little Brooke is cute. That hike looks gorgeous. Sounds like you guys have been having a fun, relaxing week – just how it should be. I want to hear all about your spin class. I am sure you did awesome. Any way for my skype into your class? ;)

Holly March 6, 2013 at 7:11 am

Love that pic!

And I love frosted flakes…crunchy of course!
Prettiest hike–Shoshone Falls, in Twin Falls, Idaho!
I love my afternoon smoothie!

Katie March 6, 2013 at 7:18 am

Ewww soggy cereal. I like mine a little bit past crunchy. I don’t know why soggy cereal bothers me so much since I eat oatmeal all the time, and that’s pretty much mush.

Becky @thebexfactor.com March 6, 2013 at 7:19 am

The best place I ever hiked was Angels Landing in Zion National Park, Utah. Amazing.

Bri March 6, 2013 at 7:24 am

Upstate NY is the land of gorges. I love to hike in Letchworth State Park & Watkins Glen. They’re both full of waterfalls. We go pretty often in the summertime & I hope that won’t change now that we have Ella.

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More March 6, 2013 at 7:28 am

Soggy or crunchy cereal? Dry. If not dry, then it has to be crunchy. Never soggy. Ugh.

Do you enjoy hiking? Do you go often? Prettiest place you have ever hiked? LOVE hiking! I go a couple times a week. Prettiest place? I was spoiled to live in the prettiest place to hike, Ashland, OR! Other favorites include Kauai, HI, Durango, CO, Zion, UT, and Redwood National Park, CA.

Do you have a snack tradition that you look forward to?

Elise @ Expeditions of Elise March 6, 2013 at 7:32 am

Crunchy cereal for sure! Although some cereals need a bit of soaking, most are consumed immediately after the milk is poured.

Brooke is the happiest baby I have ever seen. Is she really smiling all the time? It seems like it.

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona March 6, 2013 at 7:32 am

I hate soggy cereal. So much so that I don’t put any milk in it. That’s right, I eat it dry. People are always amazed when I tell them that.

I live close to the mountains, so there’s tons of amazing hikes. I don’t think I could pick just one.

Ashley March 6, 2013 at 7:33 am

Brooke seems to have SO MUCH personality, adorable.

I like to find the perfect moment where my cereal has crunchy pieces and soggy pieces, which can be tricky haha

I love to hike and we have some very pretty places near us, your photos reminded me that we need to get back out there soon! (except that we are currently covered in a nice blanket of slush, unfortunately).

Julie @ Sweetly Balanced March 6, 2013 at 7:40 am

AWe I love that you took Brooke hiking!! I used to hike allll the time! Then I moved to NYC- the land of no mountains… I’m hoping by the time I have kids we will be out of here so I can get them to experience this as well!~

steph @ happy healthy stephie March 6, 2013 at 7:43 am

You guys are so cute! Your pictures make me smile. I love happy babies and Brooke is just so cute with all of that hair! Poor little G just turned 15 months and still doesn’t have much hair.

I don’t love to hike, but my husband does. I try to go with him sometimes, but I get scared because I’m clumsy and end up falling every time. :(

Ashley March 6, 2013 at 7:44 am

Crunchy cereal all the way, soggy just doesn’t cut it. It tends to make me think of the baby foods I used to feed my kids when they were little….not too appetizing!

Brooke has to be the happiest little girl in the world! I LOVE seeing pictures of her sweet, smiling face. I must admit my daughter never did that at her age. You’re super blessed to have such a sweet and happy little girl in your life!

Laura @ beanstalk March 6, 2013 at 7:49 am

That funfetti cake picture is killing me! I need some funfetti in my life…

I love crunchy cereal! My hub & I have a cereal tradition, too. We eat it as a bedtime snack. Why is cereal so dang good?

Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing March 6, 2013 at 7:51 am

I absolutely love all of the pictures of Brooke! She is so stinkin’ cute! :)

shelly March 6, 2013 at 7:54 am

I like my cereal crunchy but with lots of milk in the spoon.

Blaire @ Just Been Running March 6, 2013 at 7:59 am

It depends on the cereal for me, but I really like when my Life cereal is crunchy and then soggy once I get to the bottom! SO SO SO good!

Those are seriously the cutest pictures EVER of you and Brooke!

Amy N. March 6, 2013 at 8:00 am

Soggy cereal? Gross. Crunchy is best.

We love hiking! It’s a great family activity and the adventures grow as your family does!

I hope your spin class went well! I’m sure they’ll love you!

Sharsti@theblondehairblueeyedrunner March 6, 2013 at 8:03 am

Ah, soggy cereal makes me wanna barf. crunchy all the way. 5 am?? So early, but good luck, you’ll rock it and they’ll love you!!

Allison March 6, 2013 at 8:08 am

Cutest pick of Brooke ever!
We hiked Multinomah falls once, so pretty.

Lindsay March 6, 2013 at 8:09 am

Such amazing views!! I usually have trail mix in the afternoon. It might be my favorite food/snack of all time :D

Kelly March 6, 2013 at 8:14 am

You guys are seriously the cutest family ever!

I think I prefer crunchy cereal but soggy is good sometimes. And I’m not sure why I don’t have a snack tradition but I should probably start one!?

Kim March 6, 2013 at 8:21 am

Seriously the soggier the better. OG All Bran or bran flakes are the best soggy!!

TorontoRunner March 6, 2013 at 8:25 am

She is just so full of LIFE. cutie!!

Soggy, soggy, soggy cereal!

katie March 6, 2013 at 8:31 am

soggy cereal for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg if youve never tried this i highly reccommend….break apart some graham crackers and pour and a bowl with milk and let it get all soggy! i used to eat it for breakfast when i was little!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots March 6, 2013 at 8:34 am

this hike looks beautiful and that picture of Brooke is soo precious!! I think that funfetti cake looks amazing! Whoever did the sprinkles is an expert at sprinkle placement!

Kayla @ Fit Life Forward March 6, 2013 at 8:37 am

Good luck with spin! YAY! I don’t know how Brooke is always smiling – but I LOVE it!

Annette@FitnessPerks March 6, 2013 at 8:59 am

I MUST have crunchy cereal—soggy is kinda gross. haha ;(

HOPE Spin was a blast!!!

p.s. she is adorbs in that last pic of you two!

Coco March 6, 2013 at 9:07 am

Aww, I love that she is so excited to be in nature.. I’m most definitely all about soggy cereal :)

Macalla March 6, 2013 at 9:14 am

I know I say this every time I comment but Brooke is sooooooooo cute. Love her gummy smile!!

My cereal has to be eaten as soon as the milk is in the bowl or mug. It cannot be soggy. I love hiking but I don’t do as often a I like. We have a ton of trails but I have to go with people. It’s kind of creepy going on my own.

Amanda March 6, 2013 at 9:18 am

I really love crunchy cereal and will throw away the soggy bits.

I love hiking but with running I don’t always have a lot of time or energy for hikes, that’s why I like trail running it’s like combining the two.

Marijn March 6, 2013 at 9:26 am

That picture is amazing haha! She looks crazy happy :p

You ran while pregnant? I didn’t even know that was possible (not counting the first couple of months, obviously)… lol

Sonia the Mexigarian March 6, 2013 at 9:27 am

Oh my god, Brooke has to be the cutest and happiest baby in the world. She just beams love!

I love hiking. I just haven’t done that much of it recently ^_^;; The husband and I used to go every weekend, marking trails in our hiking book and tackling them. Really should start that up again. We should go hiking together! Or have a blogger hikeathon. lol.

My favorite hike has to be the Upper Yosemite Falls Trail. Went with my sister and her boyfriend http://www.mexigarian.com/2011/08/11/there-and-back-again/ Very fun hike :)

I like to let my cereal soak just a wee bit, but need the upper part to be crunchy.

Katie @ LifesNextBigStep March 6, 2013 at 9:29 am

Crunchy crunchy crunchy! I can’t stand it when my cereal gets soggy! I always measure it out, then put a little bit in the milk at a time so nothing stays in there too long (especially with Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Cheerios!)

Best hike ever was in Kauai, Hawaii – it only lasted about 20 minutes because no one told us about the mosquitos (ugh) but it was beautiful!

I’ll snack on anything – whether or not it should be considered a snack :)

Melissa March 6, 2013 at 9:30 am

I’m with you, I LOVE soggy cereal! My favorite is Trader Joe’s Maple FMW….so, so good.

Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian March 6, 2013 at 9:31 am

I like my cereal crunchy for sure. I haven’t actually eaten any cereal in quite some time, but it’s nice to have every now and then. Most often, I’ll eat frosted mini wheats, and my bf eats them every single day.

Allee @ Griselda Mood March 6, 2013 at 9:32 am

Your family is TOO cute for words– that little girl is very happy, you can tell she’s loved just by her faces in pictures!

For me, it depends on the cereal. Cinnamon toast crunch must be crunchy. Frosted flakes? Soggy!

Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual March 6, 2013 at 9:37 am

Soggy cereal! No way, I love mine freshly poured and crunchy please! ;)

Crystal Griswold March 6, 2013 at 9:55 am

I like my cereal crunchy!!! Right now I’m loving Apple Jacks!! MMMM :) I LOVE to hike!! I live in New England so I go a lot (not in the spring cause it’s too soggy) we have so many great hiking spots over here on the east coast :) The most beautiful place I have ever hiked was Mt Hood in Oregon, it was magical!!! My snack I have to have almost every day is my non-fat Chobani yogurt and frozen blueberries (can’t live without it but you have to let the blueberries defrost for awhile before eating it). Hope you have a faaaanastic day!!

sarah @ www.running2xs.com March 6, 2013 at 9:56 am

This is the first time I have heard of funfetti. Mind = blown.

Runningwithscissors March 6, 2013 at 9:58 am

Any type of cereal that gets good and soggy is delish by me. FMW would probably be my #1.
I so wish we had somewhere to hike but I live in a very flat area of Michigan. Boo!

Erin March 6, 2013 at 10:04 am

She is so adorable!! That picture is just precious. Your funfetti cake is making me want one now!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom March 6, 2013 at 10:20 am

Crunchy! I don’t pour milk into my cereal and I eat it with my hands, so it would be a little weird if my cereal got soggy. i do enjoy hiking but I don’t go nearly enough. And does dessert count as my favorite snacking time? Because it’s the part of the day I look the most forward to.

Annie March 6, 2013 at 10:39 am

soggy all the way!!! although I sometimes have a hard time waiting the required two minutes!

Caitlin March 6, 2013 at 10:53 am

I don’t eat cereal.

If I have it in my house I will consume absurd amounts, so I don’t keep it around. All cereals should be crunchy EXCEPT fruity pebbles- I love them soggy!! I’ve been craving those and Frosted Flakes recently- maybe it’s time to indulge!

kim@hungryhealthygirl March 6, 2013 at 10:56 am

Cutest picture EVER!! Brooke and you are so photogenic!

Holly March 6, 2013 at 11:09 am

OH MY GOODNESS. So glad you said you are framing that picture of you & Brooke. It is one of my very favorites so far! Those trails look BEAUTIFUL! & I agree, I have NO idea how I ran pregnant…really..how did we do it?! And, you, Miss Speedy..I have NO idea how you were SO fast pregnant- Wonder woman I swear :)

Rachelle March 6, 2013 at 11:11 am

Cutest family ever. What a fun day and seriously could Brooke even get any cuter. Oh my goodness I am in love with your child. :)

I have been really stressed with work lately and your blog makes me smile daily. Thank you so much for that.

Kari @ Running Ricig March 6, 2013 at 11:28 am

Brooke looks like she is having such a ball in those pictures!!

Soggy cereal all the way.

We used to go hiking in the mountains in TN all the time when we lived there.

wymberley March 6, 2013 at 11:32 am

I love hiking with my girls. Just wait till she is running up the trail ahead of you exploring and feeling like a big girl leading the charge. It is a sight to see.

Heather @ Run Eat Play March 6, 2013 at 11:58 am

Good luck at your Spin class tomorrow – you’ll do awesome!!
I like crunchy cereal!! I look forward to my after dinner snack/treat every day! It’s the tastiest part of my day!

Rachel @ Operation Rosebud March 6, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Soggy cereal– blech! I’m more of a dry cereal person– but that’s probs because I’ve got two littles who eat it for snacks and prefer to drink choco milk with it. I really miss California when I read your blog– I wish there were more than “once in a blue moon” sunny days here in England– though there are plenty of beautiful hikes around here! I ran a trail race a couple of weeks ago that went through all the hilly pastures near Nottingham and I though of your new-found love of trail races. For me– not so much yet, but I’m working on it!!

jan J March 6, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Cereal… A tiny bit soggy. But not too much.

My favorite hike was hiking Mt. Timpanogos. Did you ever have a chance to do that while in UT? You’ve GOT to! Amazing! It’s something like 13 miles round trip, and exhausting. You’d love it.

Debbie @ Deb Runs March 6, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Crunchy cereal for me! We haven’t hiked in a very long time, and my husband’s been talking about it a lot lately. I see a trip in our not too distant future!

Cynthia March 6, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Lovin’ your blog! You’re positive and upbeat! I always look forward to reading your latest post! Your family’s beautiful by the way! ; )

Kay March 6, 2013 at 12:47 pm

What a fun day!!

I love crunchy crunchy cereal, I can’t do soggy, sorry!! Haha

Maria March 6, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I can’t believe how happy Brooke always is! She is adorable!

How I like to eat my cereal depends on my mood. Sometimes crunchy, sometimes soggy. Either way, I love cereal.

Linda @running4two March 6, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I recently had an obsession with honey bunches of oats but when I was in high school, I could put away some waffle crisp.

I’m so jealous of your beautiful weather, I have snow and wind today. Bottle up some warm weather for me please!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 6, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I love that last photo of you and Brooke!!! Too cute!

Irene March 6, 2013 at 1:35 pm

What an amazing day. Brooke really does look happy – she is SUCH a cutie!

Joy March 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I love a good crunchy cereal. My recent obsession is Joe’s O’s (from Trader Joes). SO yummy.

Your scenery is amazing and the photos of you and Brooke are gorgeous. You are one beautiful family.

Vanessa March 6, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I cant believe how BIG she is getting! And she is just the cutest thing ever! Also im a big big babywearing fan so YAY mama for keeping your baby close to you! One suggestion that will probably make it a lot more comfortable for you both (akin to running while pregnant comfy) would be to face her in and to use a carrier that provides a good seat rather then one that leaves her dangling from you….much safer for her(it can be bad for her hips and spine) and more comfortable for your back! :) I LOVVEEE my mei tai and others love soft structure carriers like Ergo or Bobas. Anyways, keep wearing your sweet babe(those suggestions will just make it more comfy for you both and I know how important proper spine alignment is for a runner like yourself )! :)

Peachylau March 6, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Crunchy cereals all the way! I can wake up early, but not to work out. Dont know how you do it.

Kelsey March 6, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Oh my goodness, Janae! I just saw this post tonight…Brooke makes me so happy in that picture! What a doll!

megan March 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Adorable picture of you and Brooke! I am in love with Raisin Bran at the moment. I took some of it in a bag today for a snack at work. I believe I will keep some milk in the fridge and leave some cereal there as well. YUMMY

Ellyn March 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I hope you get a chance to enjoy some cereal tomorrow because tomorrow is NATIONAL CEREAL DAY! (March 7th)

I like my cereal just a little bit soggy! The best is when you get to the bottom of the bag with all the crumbs and let them chill in the milk for a little while….yum.

The Hungry Runner Girl March 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Ahhhh thank you for telling me about this awesome holiday!

katrina March 6, 2013 at 7:58 pm

brooke is the smiliest baby on the internet. she takes after her mother!!!

Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk March 6, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I am just going to be eternally jealous of your AWESOME California scenery! I would pitch a tent and never go inside, because all of your nature adventures are SO gorgeous!

I like my cereal more on the crunchy side. And I enjoy hiking but never get to do it enough. But I’m going to Colorado this summer and the plan is to spend the entire trip just enjoying the gorgeous outdoors!

Losing Lindy March 7, 2013 at 2:45 am

I love how happy Brooke always is.

Kristine March 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Crunchy cereal! I love hiking in Big Sur and in Marin County – so many beautiful trails! The snack I look forward to is either an apple with almond butter, cinnamon chex, almond milk and blueberries, or popcorn and dark chocolate chips. SO GOOD!