The water fountain that saved my life.

January 2, 2013

Even though I have muscles that I didn’t know existed that are very sore from yesterday’s trail run I just had to go again for another 7 miles.  I slowed WAY WAY WAY down and just took it slow climbing those mountains.  I am seriously hooked on trail running now.

I would like to personally thank this water fountain for saving my life.  Don’t throw anything at me when I tell you this but I actually got hot out on my run today and I can’t remember a time that I have ever been so thirsty and so when I saw this as I was getting off the trail I thought it was a mirage but it wasn’t, it was real and it saved me.

Pedro’s is an absolute MUST whenever we come to Southern California.  Billy used to eat there all of the time for lunch during high school and so it is definitely one of his favorites.

It is the one restaurant in the world that I order something different each time we go.  I had the California Burrito this time around.

This may look like an ordinary burrito but it is anything but that.  There was guac, cheese, sour cream, salsa and carne aside jam packed in there, it was so good.

We met up with Billy’s BFF (from high school) and his new wife.

Brooke likes it when the wind blows her hair.

This is testament that I have trained Billy well.  He had to run into 7-11 to get cash because Pedro’s doesn’t take credit cards and he came out with a Milky Way for me.  It has been worth the work to teach him the quickest way to my heart is through candy.

—————————————————————-

How was your run today? How far?  Where?

Do you carry water with you or rely on drinking fountains while you are out running?

Favorite kind of chocolate candy bar?

shelly January 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I’ve learned the hard way, to carry water on every, single run. Even if it’s 50 outside, water comes with me. I’m really into snickers right now, but 3 musketeers was my favorite before that.

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes January 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm

The stroller is my life saver when it comes to running in Texas heat with water! I don’t know how I lived without it. And if I am FORCED to just choose one favorite chocolate bar I choose dove milk chocolate. But there are so many I really can’t fully commit to that. I like them all minus Crunch bars bc the krispies just add room for air = less chocolate.

Brandy January 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I have never ran a trail before but really want to try!

I only ran 3.5 on the treadmill today. I was sick with strep the week before christmas so that killed my running and then we traveled for the week of christmas. It’s hard getting back into the swing of things!

I normally don’t carry water with me unless i’m training for a marathon & doing long runs.

I LOVE Mr. Goodbars!! They are ah-mazing!

Jacque January 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Love reading your blog! I just moved to Minnesota so it’s pretty cold ;) those trails look beautiful!

Deirdre @ Oh Well Whatever January 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

If you’re gonna get into trail running (which we know you are cause it is awesome) you will NEED a Nathan Hydradtion pack. The best. I can not go out more than 5 miles without at least a handheld.

Pedro’s es muy bueno!!!

Kim@hungryhealthygirl January 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm

It’s cold in Texas today, so it was 7 miles on the treadmill. Love Snickers & Reese’s pb cups!

Kari @ Running Ricig January 2, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Did you run in shorts and a t-shirt, too? I’m jealous. I had three layers on for my run today!

Katie @ msfitrunner January 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm

awesome trail run! I was dodging black ice and snow banks on my run today;-)
Brooke is gorgeous – those eyes! My niece is about a week younger than your brooke – same dark hair and blue eyes, although the hair is not as long!
My favorite chocolate candy bar is probably those 100grand bars – I got hooked after I stole them all out of my kids halloween candy!

TorontoRunner January 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm

ooooh you’re fiiiierce getting out on the trail again! Nice!
I’m pretending like I’m trail running when I go out into that icky snow! haha!

Nicole @ Sugar Coated Sisters January 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I ran two miles on the treadmill this morning and then did a short weights workout. I actually ran Almaden Quicksilver yesterday so my legs are sore! Trail running will do that to ya :)

My favorite candy is probably Take 5. The pretzel, chocolate, and caramel combination is perfection. Take 5′s are totally underrated.

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I don’t even leave the house to go shopping without a water bottle. Running or exercising outside with one can definitely be kind of cumbersome, but being thirsty is probably one of the worst feelings in the world… well, right up there with wanting candy and not having any. I’d have to say that KitKat is probably my favorite chocolate bar right now. Goes soooo well with coffee or hot chocolate.

Amy January 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm

no miles today…..I know my loops and where I can stash water….I love TWIX!

Divya @ Eat.Teach.Blog. January 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I always pass by that taco place but still haven’t gone!

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I love that that water was there for you! It was meant to be!! :)
And my fav chocolate candy bar is a plain milk Dove or Godiva milk chocolate bar. Mmmmm

Amy N. January 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I can’t believe that you run on trails without water! Crazy!

That burrito looks so good! Where I live in Washington state we seriously lack in good Mexican food. After growing up around an abundance of Cafe Rio’s it basically feels like wandering lost and lonely in the wilderness.

Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails January 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I know it’s terrible but I hate carrying water with me and I usually don’t get too thirsty. However, when I was training for my first marathon, I was out running on some local paths and I assumed that I could grab a drink from one of the water fountains near a youth baseball field. However, it was still too early in the spring and they hadn’t turned on the water yet! Luckily a few miles later, I came across some friendly bike riders who were nice of enough to let me have a few sips after I begged politely. Whoops!

Megan D January 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I need that burrito in my life. I love carne asada.

I am so jealous of your run. Ross and I stayed up late (easy for him to do since he slept all day long) and watched the Amazing Spiderman so I did not want to get up early and deal with all the ‘resolution people’ hogging all the treadmills. So I slept in and woke up with a tight chest and a cough. So I did 7 super easy miles on the treadmill today. (I will stop whining about how cold it is if you stop posting pictures of you running outside in shorts…okay, you don’t have to to stop)

I carry my water bottle most of the time.

Looks like you guys are having so much fun! How much longer is Billy’s break again? When do you head back?

I am not much of a candy ‘bar’ person. I like things I can pop in my mouth more – like peanut m&m’s, rolos and junior mints. But my fave candy bar would have to be the dark chocolate milky way.

Fat2Phat January 2, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I’m kind of disappointed that we didn’t get to see the inside of the burrito. I love me some good Mexican food!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles January 2, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Ran 4 this morning on the streets. Tomorrow I am going to check out a trail. More of a hike than a run.
I carry for anything over 6miles.
Milky Way. Milk duds. Skittles.

The Kidless Kronicles

Sarah @PickyRunner January 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Obsessed with your pants! I’ve been dying for a pair of colored skinny jeans and I love that color! You are intense- two hard runs in a row!! Impressive :)
Today (and the next 3 days) are all 8-9 milers in the 7 degree weather. Not the most enjoyable, but I’ll do whatever it takes to get my run on!

HollieisFueledByLOLZ January 2, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I’m hooked on trail running right now as well. Though the man likes to run up 700 ft climbs…I’m hooked on flat trail running if that counts. I do a lot of loops so I can stop for water versus carrying it most of the time.

HilJo January 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I ran 4 MILES today!!!!! Im feeling out my injury to see if I can run again and fingers crossed that I can start training soon :)

Favorite candy–probably dark chocolate reeses. LOVE THOSE. My hubby buys them for me every time he sees them since I get more excited than a 3 year old haha.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 2, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Haha that sounds like a pretty awesome day! I LOVE Milky Ways! So good!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 2, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I never carry water but really want to get in the habit of it since I keep getting stuck with out it. Today’s run was cut very short thanks to some lovely stomach issues. I am so sore from my trail time yesterday! Good job getting back out there!

cecilia January 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I carry water with me on all of my long runs and in the summer for even short runs. I learned my lesson on a run when I got dehydrated.

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 January 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I didn’t get to run today. My arch is bothering me a lot so I opted for spin class instead.

I seriously LOVE Milky Ways. When I was pregnant I liked a King Size one every night. haha. Did you know they have caramel apple ones?? Not too bad. The midnight ones are pretty good too.

I also LOVE Heath bars, but only as a Fro Yo topping.

Erica January 2, 2013 at 4:15 pm

It’s like I can feel the running happiness oozing from your pores writing this. Don’t you love it when what we love most (running) still surprises us. (or when a hubby surprises us……..+100 husband points Billy)

3.5 miles……it was the first day back to school and grrrrrrrrr it is just not the same running after a long day.

Patty January 2, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I love your lace-up boots! Where are they from?

The Hungry Runner Girl January 2, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Thanks Patty! They are Steve Madden and we got them at Nordstrom rack!

Abby January 2, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I don’t carry water much since moving to San Francisco, but when I lived and ran in Philly, I almost always carried water on runs longer than 4 miles, and always in the summer months, then I would refill at the water fountains or a gas station. Better safe than sorry!

Jen shaw January 2, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I only carry water on my long runs, probably not good planning. That will have to change in the summer. I love anything caramel!

Kay @ goaloflosing January 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm

My run today was shorter than I anticipated. I tried to run in the snow tonight because I just love my NEW Forerunner 410. Unfortunately, it was 22 degrees and I couldn’t find my gloves. I only got a few intervals in before having to go back indoors to warm up!

Maria January 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I didn’t run today, I am too sore from my run yesterday. I carry water if I am running over 4-5 miles. I live in the middle of nowhere…no fountains on my runs :) I love Twix! I like to eat all the chocolate off and save the car,el and the cookie for last…yum!

Anne January 2, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I don’t carry anything but keys on my runs, luckily I took Dean Karnazes advice to heart and carry money on my long runs. On day in June when I lived in Florida, I got ridiculously dehydrated, and dizzy. I was able to stop in a CVS and buy a G2 which, made all of the difference!

Megan S @ gourmet or go home January 2, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Um have you always had those adorable boots or were you just going to bring them in with no introduction?:) I love the plum jeans and boots outfit, you look super cute.

The Hungry Runner Girl January 2, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Ahhhh thanks so much megan:) billy gave them to me for Christmas! Hope you are having a great day!

Danica @ It's Progression January 2, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Enjoy those outdoor runs!! It was 10 degrees here today, colder with the wind (yes, seriously), so it’s fun to imagine getting to run out in the sunny weather up those gorgeous trails!
I haven’t been on a run for days now (since Sunday) and I’m itching to–tomorrow morning I plan to cover at least a few miles!

Kelly January 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Hey Janae! Long time reader/stalker but first time commenter.

As a native San Diegan – please tell me that California burrito had fries in it?!?!

The Hungry Runner Girl January 2, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Hey Kelly!!!! It didn’t?!? Oh no… Where can I find one that does have the fries in it? That sounds amazing!

Kelly January 2, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Any of the hole-in-the-wall type taco shops down in San Diego have them…I would think those would exist up in Orange County too! You HAVE to order it if you ever see it on a menu. The mix of carne asada, fries, guacamole, and salsa in a burrito will change your life.

The Hungry Runner Girl January 2, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I must find that burrito ASAP!!!!!

J January 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Totally agree with the above statement, also a san diego native and its not a california burrito if it doesn’t have fries in it.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 2, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Hmm favorite chocolate candy bar? That’s like chosing a favorite child! ;) I love Reese’s, Snickers, Take 5, any Lindt chocolate … I could go on, but those are probably the top choices!

Colleen January 2, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I was a major wimp today and could only handle 1.5 outside in the “artic weather” (38 degrees!!! that’s equivalent -50 in the deep south ;) )so I had to resort to the t-milly for the rest of my 6 miler. I never take any water with me on my runs. I think I’m so trained (aerobic teacher) to go hours w/out water that I can push through long runs w/o water…yes, even if 100+ degree temps. Don’t hate me….not a chocolate bar lover…

Kay January 2, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Yummmm that burrito sounds delicious!

I really love 100 Grand bars, I think I might be the only one hahah.

Ashlee January 2, 2013 at 6:16 pm

So jealous of your weather. I live in Texas and it’s in the 20s! Its supposed to be warm here, right?!

Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk January 2, 2013 at 6:43 pm

All your hype about trail runs makes me think I need to go on one ASAP! You’re so lucky to be enjoying that nice weather in California and not sucking it up in the cold like everyone else right now. I can barely walk to my car, I can’t imagine running outside for an hour!

Logan @ Mountains and Miles January 2, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I did an awesome trail run today at Great Falls, MD. I wrote a trail report about it a week or so ago: http://mtnsandmiles.blogspot.com/2012/12/trail-report-great-falls-md-figure-8.html. I carry water with me if I am doing something longer than 8 miles or if it’s anything above 70 degrees (I hate heat). I definitely go 1-2 minutes slower on trails than I do on flat surfaces, but I always feel like I worked so much harder!

Julissa January 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm

You have such a beautiful little family!

Today I did some incline running on a treadmill and ended around 2.25 miles.
If I’m on a treadmill, I’ll have water right in the cup holder as well as sometimes outside (depending on the distance).
My favorite chocolate candy bar is probably Kit Kat, Hershey’s milk chocolate w/ almonds, or Hershey’s Cookies & Creme :)

Cait the Arty Runnerchick January 2, 2013 at 7:53 pm

yay for some awesome new trail running for u! :)

okay, now i’ll have to put pedro’s on my must-hit scope. my friend and i have an ongoing joke via twitter #burritoforpresident . well, obviously he lost be we still are always on a mission to find the best burritos. :)

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Lindt or Kit Kat are tied for my fave choc bar!

Brittani January 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I rely on drinking fountains only because I cannot stand running with water swishing around! Sometimes I think it’s a really bad decision, like when I feel I might faint and my mouth is a cotton ball.

Linda January 3, 2013 at 7:02 am

I have not ran a a trail race yet. But I have ran trails many times. I LOVE it! It is like being a kid and running through the woods, without a care in the world.

Amy@healthyandfitforreal.com January 3, 2013 at 7:41 am

I’m a Milky Way dark girl myself.

Hope January 3, 2013 at 9:51 am

I think that restaurants that don’t take credit seem to be some of the best. We have an awesome hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant nearby that doesn’t take credit and doesn’t deliver. It’s worth the drive and trip to the ATM everytime!

Erin @ Living Made Healthy January 3, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I have to go with Twix! I’d like to try trail running but I’m afraid of going alone and I don’t have any runner buddies.

Brooke @ sweats & sweets January 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm

My run yesterday was only 2 miles, but it was my first time running since I recovered from bronchitis and I wanted to test out my new Brooks PureCadence which I am in love with! Highly recommend the shoe for those who need support, but want a minimalist type shoe.

Alyssa January 4, 2013 at 10:32 am

I am a San Clemente kid and Pedro’s was a staple food when I was growing up. In the summer we would stop there get food and head down to the beach. Good memories for sure.

Whitney January 6, 2013 at 9:22 am

I just love this picture of Brooke! :) She is by far the cutest!!!