Coyote Hills 1/2 Marathon Recap

January 27, 2013

I have two things to apologize about if you were at the race yesterday:

-I am sorry if I didn’t say hi back when I was running, I was in a zone like I have never been in a zone before (and my music was really loud).

-My shorts were way too short… I must have forgotten to look in the mirror and there are a few photos that billy took when I was running that were deleted within seconds of me seeing them ha.

I cannot say enough good about Coyote Hills. It is a race that will be a yearly tradition for me. It was so well organized, a beautiful course, great food, easy parking and I REALLY recommend it. The only problem that I had was that because it was a course that had you do 2 loops, the second loop was really hard because there were so many people on the trail and it was hard getting around people (and bikes) but other than that it was perfect.

Two things I did silly:

-Apparently I need 500 (not just the 400 that I used yesterday) bobbi pins and one can of hair spray on my hair just isn’t enough. Actually, I just really need to wear headbands because I was eating my hair the whole time.

-I only had a little bit of Powerade at one of the aid stations the entire race. I need to focus on hydrating and fueling during a race better because I could definitely feel my mistakes.

We woke up at 7 and were out of the house by 7:30 to drive the 30 minutes to Fremont. They had shuttles to take us to the start from the parking lot (Billy and Brooke came on the shuttle too) and got there 10 minutes before the gun went off.

And we were off…. I went into this race focusing more on wanting to place than on time since I knew it was not going to be a PR course for me.

For a couple of minutes we were on the road and this awesome bridge thing before we got into the hills. The scenery was so incredible and I was amazed for the entire run, never a boring part.

I don’t know if I will ever be able to run on the treadmill again after being spoiled with this course (that’s not true… I still have 58 episodes of Parenthood to watch so I will continue to look forward to my treadmill runs).

IMG 7560  1

For about 60% of the course (don’t ever trust my statistics because I really don’t have any idea) we ran along the bay. Heaven.

Photo

(Thanks Jaqueline for the photo)

I don’t usually remember a lot during races but I do remember my legs wanting to fall off multiple times, a guy that drafted me a lot because it was windy and most importantly I really focused in on trying to be positive. Our brains are powerful things and (I believe they) determine our success or failure. There was a spot that I did have to hike up because it was so steep but my overall pace was 7:10 per mile and I was the second woman overall.

Jaqueline and Sarah rocked the 10k!

And Lauren did incredible in the 1/2!

Get ready for the most awesome part… they had IT’S-IT ice cream sandwiches at the end.

I tried Chocolate Coconut milk and it was surprisingly good.

How about we ALL sign up for next year to run this race together. You would love it!

As you can probably guess the rest of my weekend included refueling with my favorite foods and our couch.

——————————————————————————–

Most beautiful race that you have ever ran?

Do you have the ‘hair in your face’ struggle that I do? Do you always wear a headband?

Ever tried coconut water? Thoughts?

Are you good at hydrating and fueling during races? Give me your tips and tricks!

HollieisFueledByLOLZ January 27, 2013 at 5:01 am

Wow congrats. I love gorgeous trail courses like that (really makes me miss cross country). I don’t have a most beautiful half marathon because they were all on roads and streets but some of the cross country races we did we were gorgeous in the adirondacks…they could also qualify for most challenging too LOL.

One of the few reasons I like winter in Upstate is the ability to wear ear headbands (What are those things called…I always want to call them earwarmers LOL) but anyways they tame my beast of a hair. Like you though, in the summer (or when it’s way to hot) I need 10000 bobby pins, hair spray…super glue…everything.

Anyways-so happy for you. I’m glad someone else catches up on TV on the treadmill…LOL, but yes as you I’d prefer to run outdoors.

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes January 27, 2013 at 5:03 am

The most beautiful race I ever ran was on the campus at notre dame when I was in college! And yes I have the same hair problem! So glad you had a great experience at your race! Have a great Sunday :-)

TorontoRunner January 27, 2013 at 5:06 am

eeeek was so looking forward to this.
You are INCREDIBLE! What an amazing runner you are!

That looks sooo gorgeous..never ever done ran anythin like a trail before – that looks beautiful! You seriously look very much in the zone!
Congrats again!!

Amy @ Writing While Running January 27, 2013 at 5:07 am

Awesome race! And what amazing time for a trail race. Nothing is more annoying when running than hair in the face! I always have to wear a headband (a thick one!) to keep my bangs out of my face.

Kris @ www.Kris-Lawrence.com January 27, 2013 at 5:07 am

That course is gorgeous!! I’ve run plenty of trail races but none with a view like that. Sounds like such a great time. Congrats speedy!!

Traci January 27, 2013 at 5:09 am

Wow! That is beautiful scenery… and CONGRATS on doing SO well!!! Hope you enjoy your Sunday… day of rest.

Becky Przy January 27, 2013 at 5:12 am

Oh my gosh, that race looks gorgeous!!! You did awesome, I can’t believe those hills!

All of my races have been road races in MN so no oceans or anything;-) But I love the part of Grandma’s marathon when you see Lake Superior.

I am better at fueling that hydrating. For a HM, I consume 100 calories at mile 5 or 6…marathons I fuel by feel, but start fueling 55 minutes into the race (100 calories) and try to force something down every 45 minutes after that. Hydrating I stink at…I either drink too much or too little.

Kamaile January 27, 2013 at 5:14 am

I drink at least a gulp or more if needed at every aide station during a half so I know i’m getting some hydration and not wait till i’m really thirsty. Great picture at the finish line, looking strong, :-) I know you were think omg want.to.be.done where is the ice cream! I just started season 2 of Parenthood LOVE it!

Allie January 27, 2013 at 5:15 am

So glad you found a Brazen Racing race! The Its It’s are just the BEST post race food on the planet, aren’t they? They are my fave race management company in CA! Congrats on a great race!

Deana January 27, 2013 at 5:16 am

Wow! How amazing are those hills/trails?!? Too neat!

I have a dirt road by me that is home to a horse training facility. It can be pretty smelly. But the sun coming through the trees when running on the one ‘rural’ road in the area is pretty nice.

Not a fan of coconuts in general so haven’t tried coconut water before.

jan January 27, 2013 at 5:17 am

Wow, what a great race!! That’s crazy fast for trails.

Monika January 27, 2013 at 5:20 am

Congrats!!! I have to try it.
I have Bic Bands! They’re great, they keep your hair out of your face and don’t slip.

Losing Lindy January 27, 2013 at 5:21 am

I love the picture of you crossing the finish line, your feet were both off the ground, what a great shot!

I haven’t tried coconut water. I am a tad scared.

Kasey January 27, 2013 at 5:22 am

I am planning on running the Outback Half Marathon in Australia mid-year…the course takes in the amazing desert scenery, including one of our greatest icons Uluru (the big red rock)…I can’t wait!!
Congratulations to you. Thanks for inspiring us :)

Carrie January 27, 2013 at 5:23 am

I did a marathon in Bermuda about 11 years ago that was very pretty but hilly. Oh and it looped twice and in the second loop they took down all of the markers. I was ahead and I ended up having to ask someone in a car where I was supposed to go! I did not really pay attention to details during the first loop!! Oh and it was funny, it was 80 degrees and really sunny out, some of the residence were telling us to remember to drink, that they knew it was chilly but we needed to drink! Chilly, no. There were no porta potties either, they requested that you just knock on doors if you needed to use the facilities! The Baltimore, Maryland marathon is likely the most unscenic marathon I did.

Linda January 27, 2013 at 5:26 am

Congrats! You did awesome!!!!!!

Joy January 27, 2013 at 5:27 am

You should be so, so proud of yourself! I can’t imagine ever running a 1:33 half on pavement, never mind a trail run. You are an amazing runner!!

And I actually am good at fueling/hydrating during running. I carry an Amphipod bottle with my on all my long runs (even during races) because if I don’t hydrate like crazy, I get terrible headaches when I finish running. Of course it took me years to realize that the headaches were caused by dehydration, but now that I know the reason, I drink, drink, drink when I run. And the Amphipod had a pocket in the handle of the bottle handle so I can carry Gu’s in there.

Kristen January 27, 2013 at 5:32 am

WOW! What a gorgeous course! I’ve never done a trail race but this definitely makes me want to try it out! “Hair in the face” is my arch nemesis- I always try to wear a headband but it’s tricky to remember an extra accessory when you’re literally trying to “run” out the door. I will never understand the people I see who run with their hair down. I just stare at them in wonder and astonishment. Congrats on your amazing time and place!

Michele @ Nycrunningmama January 27, 2013 at 5:35 am

What a gorgeous, amazing course!! I wish there were more places like that around here to run!
I can’t believe that you did that amazing on your first trail race! That pace is KILLER.
I wear headbands on every run for that very reason. My favorite is Sparkly Soul!!!! =) =) =) Sparkle makes me feel pretty when I run!

Ashley January 27, 2013 at 5:36 am

Amazing! I want to try a trail race now. Congratulations on your placing in the race :-)

Pam January 27, 2013 at 5:40 am

That course is absolutely stunning. Congratulations on your placement!

Sarah January 27, 2013 at 5:42 am

HOLY CRAP you are so amazing! Congratulations!

PS can we just talk about how decadent the chocolate Zico is for a second?! Am I the only one who thinks this tastes like chocolate milk? I haven’t had it in a long time, but I remember being really impressed.

Kaitlyn January 27, 2013 at 12:14 pm

This is intriguing me! I really don’t like regular Zico very much, but if the chocolate tastes like choco milk, I’m really curious to try it now…..

kim@hungryhealthygirl January 27, 2013 at 5:44 am

I would love to run this race with you, but I must say….you are far too speedy for me!! What beautiful scenery!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 27, 2013 at 5:49 am

You’re awesome Janae! And yes, I vote we all do this race together, it looks beautiful!! And any race that ends with ice cream sandwiches is obviously at the top of best races on the planet lists. :) Congrats!

Nikki January 27, 2013 at 5:51 am

This looks so awesome! Congrats girl! Placing is amazing. I really want to get into a trail run!

Rachel January 27, 2013 at 5:52 am

I’m so jealous! That race looks amazing! I’m totally traveling from Georgia to attend it next year! Haha! I will just pretend that I am on that trail from now on! Have a great couple of rest days!

Megan January 27, 2013 at 5:53 am

Great job on the race!!! I could never even imagine coming in second. :)

I ran Melissa’s Road Race in Banff Canada. Beautiful race, snow capped mountains and turquoise lakes… amazing! It was a little hilly and the elevation killed me but we had massages booked for the next day so it was complete heaven!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 27, 2013 at 5:53 am

you are amazing! I wish I could run as fast as you! Those views are absolutely beautiful!

Erica January 27, 2013 at 5:54 am

AWESOME RUN!!

As far as hydrating on the course, here is what has worked for me to at least go from nothing to something. Any stations, post 7 miles, i always will take a water/powerade, but I will carry it for 25 yds or so and then drink while I run, but am not surrounded by the water station commotion. I find mentally, I need to drink on my terms, if that makes sense, and so i often drink a swig……run 10 more steps……decide one more swig or throw it away? do whichever my body is asking for and then….full steam ahead.

Julie @ Sweetly Balanced January 27, 2013 at 5:56 am

Congrats on Second Place!!! Definitely the most beautiful race I’ve run is the Ragnar Relay from Miami to Key West. Two of my three legs were over the gorgeous bridge, I loved it!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 27, 2013 at 6:08 am

I did a trail race in northern michigan that was really pretty, but I have to say the Chicago Marathon – not what you’d typically call “pretty” but I thought the areas of the city were beautiful, as were all the spectators! Congrats on placing, that’s awesome, Janae!

Laura January 27, 2013 at 6:11 am

Congrats on your race Janae, amazing!

Try buying a headband from Lululemon, they have this no-slip strip on the inside so they stay put for your whole run, plus they’re adjustable and cute.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 27, 2013 at 6:17 am

You amaze me woman! Strong work and congrats on placing! It sure does look like a beautiful course…wow! And the weather looked perfect too. (I suppose anything with remote sunshine looks perfect to me right now compared to all of this nasty inversion we’ve been having around here lately. ;) )

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 27, 2013 at 6:20 am

You are such a rockstar!! I would have been in heaven running with that scenery

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 27, 2013 at 6:25 am

What an absolutely beautiful course, and congratulations again, Janae! You’re kind of freakin’ amazing, and your passion for running almost makes me want to give it a shot. Aaaaalmost ;) I may have to give it another chance in the Spring when it’s warm enough to run outside.

Danica @ It's Progression January 27, 2013 at 6:27 am

wow, congratulations girl!!!! you did amazing.

Cate January 27, 2013 at 6:32 am

You are amazing! awesome job!

I think the Nike Women’s Half was my most beautiful run. I have to wear a headband when I run or my bangs would drive me nuts!
Chocolate coconut water is the only coconut water I can drink. I just can’t stomach the others! :)
I try to be really good about hydrating before, during and after races. I just ran the Disney marathon and it was hot, so I drank extra water and powerade ahead of time. I had water or powerade at each stop too, which I don’t normally do. My test is to make sure I’m still sweating during my run. My only tip is to make sure you really hydrate 24-48 hours in advance. It always seems to work for me.

Congrats again!

dana a. January 27, 2013 at 6:32 am

oh, wow the scenery there is amazing!

Most beautiful race that you have ever ran?
I ran a trail on the Oregon Coast last summer. It wasn’t a race just a fun run for me and it was so pretty!

Yes, that’s why I went ahead and ordered one of those sparkly bands from Etsy, hope they work!

Ever tried coconut water? Thoughts?
Tried it and not a fan. I sure hoping I would be since I love all things coconut. Maybe I should try a different flavor.

Jen January 27, 2013 at 6:37 am

Way to go Jenae!! That’s an awesome finish and I see Brooke lost her socks again lol. Glad it went well for you!

I still have work to do for proper hydration during races. I’m debating carrying a water bottle during long runs/races.

I love coconut water just plain. Chocolate coconut water doesn’t sound appetizing.

I ran the wolf lake 4 miler in a nature preserve it was so fun and beautiful.

Logan @ Mountains and Miles January 27, 2013 at 6:37 am

Congrats on the awesome run!!! It looks so gorgeous!!

When I used to live in Colorado I felt like every trail run I went on was spectacular. I loved just looking at the snowy mountain peaks for miles upon miles. Here in DC, I actually really like running along the National Mall after dark. All the monuments and memorials are all lit up and beautiful and most of the tourists are gone by then.

Lindsey January 27, 2013 at 6:38 am

Wow amazing time and scenery! I ran a 1/2 once in Canmore. It was beautiful but there was a bear sighting and it was 3k over distance lol. I did it again the next year though so it couldn’t have been that bad : )

Jessica R @ fromthekitchentotheroad January 27, 2013 at 6:39 am

I am really impressed. What a great job on your first trail race. It looked beautiful. I am still working on hydration strategies so I have no useful information. I do think that for a half marathon that isn’t in the heat of the summer you can get away with very little fueling and hydration.

Megan S @ gourmet or go home January 27, 2013 at 6:41 am

Wow, that’s incredible, great job!! You’re all sweet so I bet they underestimate you and then bam look who’s winning;)

Lindsay January 27, 2013 at 6:46 am

Congrats! So amazing! It looks beautiful. I want to run a trail race now – you make it sound so serene (aside from those hills). My nicest race was my first 1/2, along the beach in CT, it’s a good thing it was a little too chilly, otherwise I would have just wanted to jump in the water and stop!

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 January 27, 2013 at 6:47 am

That race looks amazingly beautiful!

I am trying to get better at fueling/hydrating when I run. I just bought a water bottle to run with and it has pockets in it so I can put my gels. I really feel the difference when I use them but I’m still bad about it.

Today is my long run, 18 miles, I have 2 Clif Mocha Gels (never used the Clif brand)

Dana January 27, 2013 at 6:47 am

Congrats on your race! AMAZING!
Doing a 10k trail race today myself, can’t wait to get out there!

I am a fan of coconut water, great for hydration.

I am also a fan of BondiBands! I never run a long
without them:)

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles January 27, 2013 at 6:53 am

I am NOT good at fueling. I am one extreme or the other. Too little or WAY too much.
I do like to eat Gummy Bears though so there is that.
Coconut water tastes like FEET. End of story.

Congrats! You are really amazing.

The Kidless Kronicles

Jordan January 27, 2013 at 7:01 am

Girl. you are amazing!! that course looks stunning and you are so speedy. i’m jealous — congrats on an awesome race!

Michelle January 27, 2013 at 7:10 am

Congrats an awesome race! I’m pretty sure I’m in love with trail racing from the pictures alone.

I have to say I finally gave up on headbands and bobbi pins and switched to hats after eating my hair way too many times! Plus, they help shade your face from the sun (a teeny, tiny bit).

Jacqueline January 27, 2013 at 7:24 am

Congrats again on killing it!!
You are so right, everyone should come run this race!
My current favorite race is the Mermaid duathlon in Capitola and this one takes second.

Colleen January 27, 2013 at 7:26 am

Congrats!!!!! I’ve never done a trail run, but there are lots near me. Try wearing a hat. I can’t work out without one.

Kayla January 27, 2013 at 7:29 am

Those pictures look awesome! A lot of trail running here is not so wide open or clear!

Jenelle January 27, 2013 at 7:29 am

great job! I want to come run that race now :)

Brittani January 27, 2013 at 7:32 am

This is awesome, congratulations!! I killed it, although I’m not surprised. Chocolate coconut water is my impulse buy at the grocery store every. time. I can’t get enough.

Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. January 27, 2013 at 7:39 am

Wow – beautiful scenery! I’ve run a couple of races around Lake Ontario, those are always pretty ones :-) In Ottawa, most of my races are along the Rideau Canal or the Ottawa river, so there is usually something pretty to look at :-)

You are sooooo fast :-)

Natalie @ Free Range Human January 27, 2013 at 7:42 am

Those pictures are beautiful! I might like running if I had a course like that :)

Julia January 27, 2013 at 7:43 am

That course looks absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. Hmmm, maybe I will have to look into this one next year…

Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk January 27, 2013 at 7:48 am

That scenery is UNBELIEVABLE! Congratulations!

runningwithscissors January 27, 2013 at 7:48 am

I’m terrible at hydrating and fueling during races. I’m really never thirsty or feel the need for fuel. It’s a constant battle to force myself to hydrate and fuel.
I’ve never tried any coconut water. Must do.
Headband queen while running races. Definitely not a fashion statement but oh well. ;)
I can’t really think of the most beautiful race I’ve ever ran. I’ve ran plenty but not any that I would classify as beautiful. Another thing on my bucket list….run a race for the scenery.

Sarah @PickyRunner January 27, 2013 at 7:50 am

Great job!!!! I don’t know how you do trail races! I literally can’t do hills or fast races in the woods. I feel like I’m going to trip on my face the entire time! You’re awesome.

Cathryn January 27, 2013 at 7:56 am

Congratulations on an amazing race!!! I am wowed!

Erin @ erinruns January 27, 2013 at 7:58 am

Hair issue- can you French braid? I usually braid the hair around my face (I damp my hair first)… and it stays out the whole race. The headbands give me a headache, so I’ve had to be creative!!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 27, 2013 at 8:07 am

No matter how many bobby pins I use, it’s never enough. I love trail running but could not even fathom running a trail with an avg pace if 7:10…or any other race for that matter lol hope you enjoy your day lounging :)

Scallywag January 27, 2013 at 8:07 am

Ive just realised Coyote Hills is a half marathon- for a half, on trail, with hills, 1.33 is CRAYZEEEE good! Go Janae!

I love that you also totally prove a mum can still be a great runner :)!

Lauren January 27, 2013 at 8:31 am

I wish I could say any run I have done has anything close to the scenery you have on your runs! Beautiful! Great job, Janae!

I always wear a headband or I look like I have spiderwebs all over my forehead from my baby hairs. Gross.
Andddd coconut water is definitely yummy. I think it tastes 10xs better cold after a good workout.

Sharsti@theblondehaiblueeyedrunner January 27, 2013 at 8:37 am

You ar speedy! I hope to be speedy one day. Way to go!!

Sharsti@theblondehaiblueeyedrunner January 27, 2013 at 8:37 am

You ar speedy! I hope to be speedy one day. Way to go!!

michelle kim January 27, 2013 at 8:38 am

Wow! Did you take all those pictures WHILE you were running super fast?
Love the course. I should have run it after my volunteering!

Kellye January 27, 2013 at 8:47 am

How do you take pictures while you’re running?! I always have to stop…I’m totally not that coordinated. Looks like a beautiful course! I tried that chocolate coconut water yesterday as well it tastes like the leftover milk after eating coco puffs!! I love the pineapple flavored coconut water.

Debbie January 27, 2013 at 8:48 am

If you have an opportunity to run in one of the races in the North Face Endurance Challenge, I’d highly recommend it! They have them all over the US and many different distances during the race weekend. Since you’re loving trail running, you’ll love their races! Congrats on an awesome job yesterday!

Caitlyn January 27, 2013 at 8:56 am

Yep, you definitely have me convinced to sign up for some trail races :) That course looks gorgeous!

Hydrating is something I struggle with as well. I’ve tried using gels that have electrolytes in them since drinking anything but water makes me feel nauseous, but it’s just not the same.

Congrats on rocking it yesterday!

Therese January 27, 2013 at 8:58 am

I will definitely do this next year, probably only a 10K though. LOVE LOVE LOVE coconut water. The traditional flavor. I drink it after every run to refuel because it’s pricey. Costco and Amazon are good places to find it

Beth @ Miles and Trials January 27, 2013 at 9:12 am

Gorgeous course, congratulations! I have been trying to mix in more trail runs while training for Boston. I love the change of scenery and the challenge of the differing terrain. Maybe someday I will be able to try the beautiful course you ran.

Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters January 27, 2013 at 9:13 am

Congrats again Janae and it was so nice to finally meet you!! Let’s go for a run soon :)

Two of the most beautiful courses I’ve done are the Malibu 1/2 and Healdsburg 1/2, but yesterday’s CH course is definitely top 3!

Kay January 27, 2013 at 9:36 am

You are amazing!!

I love coconut water, especially VitaCoco!

Andrea @ mainerunnergirl January 27, 2013 at 9:45 am

That race looks so beautiful! My hair used to always be in my face so I grew my hair long and my bangs out. I WANTED to like coconut water but it made me gag – maybe I should try the chocolate.

Bri @ Back to Bliss January 27, 2013 at 9:47 am

Great race! I see that you must’ve lost the sock battle with Brooke again. It’s one that I rarely win these days too.

Jessie January 27, 2013 at 10:02 am

Wow, Janae! You are such an impressive runner–that is just a crazy time for a trail run! I’m in for next year–gorgeous beyond belief and I’m about an hour away (Marin). Can’t help you with the hair thing–I have the same problem. What shoes were you wearing? They look like Brooks Pure somethings–are they the new Pure Grits? If so I am interested in a review!

The Hungry Runner Girl January 27, 2013 at 10:25 am

They are the pureflow 2s and they are my favorite shoes ever!

Jessie January 27, 2013 at 10:40 am

Did they have enough traction for dirt? I’m loving my new Pure Cadences but am nervous about attempting the trails around here with them–we have some pretty steep and rocky stuff going on.

The Hungry Runner Girl January 27, 2013 at 11:32 am

They definitely did! Loved them!

Brittany @ DulceVie January 27, 2013 at 10:10 am

Great job on the half! I am doing my first half in November! I can’t wait!

Andra January 27, 2013 at 10:45 am

This is a brazenracing event right? I’ve done their diablo race before. I agree with you that they put on an awesome event! they had great food and the same icecream last time too!!!! :)

You should do the oakland marathon :)

The Hungry Runner Girl January 27, 2013 at 11:30 am

It was! They put on an amazing race!!! Oakland would be a blast!

Andra January 27, 2013 at 11:33 am

I’m running that one!!!! eeeeeekkk

Heidi Nicole January 27, 2013 at 10:46 am

If I’m any good at picking out shoes I think you wore your Brooke Pure-something shoes, right? How were they on the trail?

Also, were there techincal, rocky section to the trails? I’m just curious on how the shoes worked. I have a similar pair and am yet to take them off really packed, smooth dirt because I can feel so much through the soles.

And…now that I’m done quizzing you…congrats on the awesome race! You are a fantastic runner and did great to place on your first trail race! :)

The Hungry Runner Girl January 27, 2013 at 11:31 am

There were some rocky parts but not too bad and the pureflows did awesome on the dirt!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 27, 2013 at 11:01 am

You are a ROCK STAR! Congratulations, girl! So awesome!

Jean January 27, 2013 at 11:08 am

I can’t STAND hair in my face! It’s the worst feeling ever! It’s actually the only reason I don’t have short hair right now (I think it looks better but not worth the hassle!). I tried coconut water once because it was “all the rage” in New York about a year ago, but I thought it was pretty disgusting. I didn’t try chocolate or vanilla, though; I bet those would be better. Congratulations on an incredible race!!! Might I ask what you’re holding in that first picture of you? You said you didn’t fuel much so I assume it’s a phone, maybe? That would drive me nuts!

The Hungry Runner Girl January 27, 2013 at 11:29 am

Yep it is my phone! I am a paranoid mom so I always have it with me:)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail January 27, 2013 at 11:22 am

WOW! You rocked the trail half!! What an amazing course. Congrats J!! So proud of you!!

deirdre | Oh Well Whatever January 27, 2013 at 11:25 am

Congratulations on your first trail race – great job!

Catalina Marathon was beyond beautiful and Whoos in El Moro 50K is my favorite local race. Must do both. Must.

Blogging Runner January 27, 2013 at 11:36 am

Great job on your race! The most beautiful race I’ve done was in Newport, RI around the Ocean Drive. You run by the ocean and beautiful old mansions!

Kaitlyn January 27, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Ahhh I grew up right outside of Newport and LOOOVE Ocean Drive! There is a half and full marathon there every October that I’m dying to do one year.

Blogging Runner January 28, 2013 at 6:16 am

You have to do it! It’s so much fun! Since I lived in Newport at the time, I didn’t think I would like it as much as I did, but I think I actually liked it more since everything was so familiar!

Melissa January 27, 2013 at 11:37 am

WOW~ you are super fast… I bet you would have had a new PR if it were not a trail, with climbing steep areas involved.

I woke up this am eager to find out how your race went! Thank you for sharing all the beautiful pics of the scenery with us. :-)

Ralu January 27, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I’ve done very few races and now I realize all were by water – river or lakes. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so any run is absolutely beautiful (entire neighborhoods look like ancient forests because of the very tall evergreens). But your course was really amazing. Considering doing this next year tp break away from the sad weather we have…
I really don’t like hair in my face, so I always wear a headband – even on the treadmill. I like the ones from lululemon because they have silicone strips or dots that keep it (and the hair underneath) in place. When it’s sunny or rainy I wear a running hat (Brooks are light-weight and have a nice “band” that keeps hair and sweat away from my face).
I’m good at fueling and hydrating on runs. I’m not that good at refueling after… I feel to good to eat, until I’m terribly hungry :)

Nikki @ run+breathe+be January 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm

That course looks absolutely beautiful! I’m hoping to do more scenic races in the near future.

I carry my own hydration (water and nuun) in a hand-held bottle on my long runs and for long races. I feel I do much better when I can hydrate on demand rather than at a water station set up at an arbitrary distance.

Jen Floyd January 27, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I am loving your blog!!! I have recently been looking into and reading some running blogs. I found Dorothys first which then led me to Michele’s and I love them both, which led me to yours. These are the best 3 blogs ever! I love running! I am 32 and have two daughters 8 and 10 yrs old. I have been running since high school up until the day before both my girls were born and I was back at it 2 weeks after they were born :). I have always loved running but never really raced because I did not feel like paying to run until recently. We moved to Iowa. Now I am a stay at home mom who home schools my girls and my husband pastors a church. I decided I wanted to just go for a marathon! I trained and ended up with runners knee but was able to heal it in 2 weeks. I got up to 16 miles in training and just went for it. 3:51 min. I loved it (well after I recovered I loved it). I did the Kansas City Marathon after that 3:36 min and then about 4 months ago I did a small trail marathon 3:36. I liked the trail one a lot but it was really, REALLY hard the last 5 miles running in the middle of nowhere with no crowd or any runners around me…so I ended up walking! (I was later quite mad at myself!).
I am doing a 10k in March…hoping for 42 min…we’ll see. I am also wanting to qualify for the Saucony Hurricane team and try to be on that! I want to inspire other runners and be an encouragement to them, just as you, Dorothy and Michele have been to me!
Okay so that was long…but that’s my story :).
PS. Loved your Trader Joes post!

Brandi January 27, 2013 at 1:12 pm

What a beautiful run! :)

Allee @ Griselda Mood January 27, 2013 at 1:32 pm

You. Are. A. Rock star! The course looks amazing! Get some rest and eat lots of goodies– you deserve it ;-)

Maggie January 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm

What a gorgeous race course. I wish every run could feature scenery like that. Thanks for sharing!

Meagan January 27, 2013 at 2:08 pm

The most beautiful race I have ever ran was the Varmint 1/2 Marathon in a community called Burkes Garden in Tazewell, VA. It is the highest valley in Virginia. It is known as “God’s Thumbprint” and it literally is a thumbprint in the top of the mountains.

I’m a little OCD about hydrating for races. If the race has information available on where the water stops will be, I plan which ones I will use. That way I don’t forget to grab water and don’t waste times at the ones I don’t need to stop at.

Kashi @ Cape Island Runners January 27, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Congrats, looks gorgeous!! I LOVE choco coco water, it is so good!! I have ine in the fridge waiting for me tonight! Yum!

Amy N. January 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Those pictures are stunningly gorgeous! Looks like an incredible race! Great job!

Kerrie January 27, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Oooohhhmmmmyyyyygggggeeeerrrrrdddd. IT’S-ITSs.

Great race and recap, too!

Jodi January 27, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Janae- first of all congrats on your race. You continually amaze and inspire me! Thank for that- seriously! I just got off the treadmill and checked your blog, and after reading your recap, I thought I should go run some more! But, then I thought I should be smart about a cooldown( as you would also say) and decided to go foam roll, stretch, etc. You should start the “WWJD?” slogan for refueling- LOL!
Hair in the face is annoying- I just wear hats , visors, or lots of pins and barrettes! I mean, I DO live in the Windy City after all!
Most beautiful race- um, the last race I did in June last year had me finishing over the Daniel Hoan Bridge in Milwaukee. Very cool!
Happy refueling and relaxing! Congrats and thanks for the inspirations:-)

Katie January 27, 2013 at 3:02 pm

WOW!!! Janae you are definitely a ROCK STAR!! Good job on a tough race!!!! :) And I tried coconut water and HATED it. Like, no. Blech. I really really wanted to like it, too. Bummer. :( Haven’t tried the chocolate flavor, but I’m not a fan of chocolate milk, so I’m asuming this would be similar?

xo

Sharisse January 27, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Great job, Janae!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whitney January 27, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I ALWAYS wear a headband even when I wear an ear warmer! haha I wear Chicabands and they are the ONLY thing that stays put for an entire race and I NEVER have to mess with! I highly suggest them! :)

I have noticed that the more I fuel, the better I feel. I use Cliff Shot Blocks and PowerBar gel Tangerine flavor. (that is the only kind I can stand!) This weekend, I ran 17 miles and had a whole pack of Shot Blocks and 3 gels. I also try and carry water on me and drink it ALL. I don’t like stopping and trying to drink out of a cup! haha

I don’t know if this works for everyone, but I have found what works for me!

JCHokie January 27, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Good gravy, you are fast, girl! Planning a trip to CA this summer, can’t wait. It’s so beautiful out there. :)

Dana January 27, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Congrats! I just tried Zinco today after a coworker told me it was good/great for hydration, but I really couldn’t stomach it. It kind of reminded me of murky water… maybe I would like the flavored ones though!

Beth January 27, 2013 at 6:05 pm

You killed it!! So glad you had a good experience running with Brazen Racing. Our family loves their races. Sam and Jasmin are just great people, and the Its It at the end of a run, especially at their summer races….heaven!!
You should check out their Diablo Challenge race in April. It’s usually pouring rain and ankle deep mud…or 90 degrees! The 5k has 6 creek crossings, longer distances have more, it’s a blast!
Congrats on a great run.

Halle January 27, 2013 at 7:30 pm

You are superfast – I’m so impressed!!

I find that a french braid with a hairband works the best to keep my hair from driving me nuts while racing. It might not be super-fashionable, but it’s been my favourite solution for over a decade :)

Keri cannon January 27, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Seriously?!? You’re amazing!!! Way to go on such a killer race! Your time is awesome for a downhill course let alone a trail run. Congrats!!

Emily January 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Amazing!! Way to go!

Andrea January 27, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I’ve only run a couple of non-disney races but this last race at Disney, rounding the corner and seeing the icicle lights on the Castle was amazing!

Nope, I ALWAYS wear SweatyBands. I love them and have to have one to match every outfit!

I’ve tried regular coconut water and hated it. But the chocolate Zico water that you’re holding–I love it! On long runs, I fill up one of my belt bottles to drink during the run, then drink whatever is left over before I leave. I really think it helps!

I drink every 3 miles and fuel every 45 minutes.

Mollie January 27, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Wow! Congrats on such a fast run and especially on being 2nd overall female! What an accomplishment- and to think you enjoyed the race too- perfect!!!

I really loved a 5k I ran this October in Chicago. It was long the lake path the whole way and the leaves had all changed to their beautiful fall colors.

I always wear a headband. Always. my favorite headbands are actually tights. I love to go cut off the butt of the little girls tights and wear pretty striped, polka dot, or bright colors in my hair. The best part is they are wide enough to tuck the flapping part of the bang back underneath. It works PERFECTLY for me. I suggest you try with an old pair of tights you own already that maybe have a snag or tear, because a couple of my friends think I’m crazy for this obsession, but it works for me. And you can get some pretty sweet tights these days!

Cait the Arty Runnerchick January 27, 2013 at 9:27 pm

awesome job out there! :)

Lizzy January 28, 2013 at 4:54 am

Congratulations Janae! Great job!
What a gorgeous race. I am running a trail race in the north-east GA mountains this month, hopefully it will be pretty.

Kayla @ kpLovingit January 28, 2013 at 5:24 am

Such pretty pics!!! I wish I had some views like that around here for my runs! You did AWESOME!

Tara January 28, 2013 at 6:09 am

Wow, amazing views!
I have my first half coming up in May, and I will be glad if I finish under 2.5hrs!! I really have no idea how you run soooo fast!!!

Tara January 28, 2013 at 6:10 am

Oh, and that Chocolate Coconut water, SOOO good!
Its different than the coconut flavored waters, becuase they add coconut creme to the chocolate one; taste like thick, delicious chocolate milk!

Curly Pink Runner January 28, 2013 at 7:33 am

2nd woman?!?! Way to go Janae!!
That race looks beautiful!

Susan January 28, 2013 at 8:59 am

I cannot believe how super awesome you are. I would ask for proof that you aren’t secretly a robot, but I think Brooke is proof enough. AWESOME JOB.

Kristen L January 28, 2013 at 10:26 am

Amazing job! Way to crush it at this race! Seems like a beautiful course, and a lot of fun. Also, an ITS-IT after a race sounds incredible! :)

Rachel January 28, 2013 at 11:03 am

Still learning with the fuelling and hydrating business but definitely a headband girl – or a hat if sunny. The run looked and sounded amazing! There is one in NZ that I love doing that is oh so hilly but my new fave half course. Will def be a yearly tradition for me post baby. Well done on your time and placement!

Jenny @ The Little JBird January 28, 2013 at 11:28 am

Many congrats, Janae!! Amazing job! :)

Emily January 28, 2013 at 3:30 pm

You are so darn fast!! I love trail running and have done a few trail races but the longest was a 20k and let me tell you it was intense!! You made it seem like it was on flat ground with a time like that! Great job! (Who am I kidding…I can’t run a 1:33 1/2 even on flat ground :) ). You are an inspiration.
Do you do any hill treadmill workouts to train when not trail running?

Karen January 29, 2013 at 3:47 am

Are those lululemon speed shorts?? They ARE short but they are awesome, aren’t they? I love their running things.

They wash well in the sink and line dry pretty fast so I can wear them often without having to actually do laundry. hehe.

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast January 29, 2013 at 8:50 am

Congrats on your race- awesome time!! What a beautiful course, too… I really need to sign up for scenic races, I’ve done almost all city races (Philly, Houston, etc) which are fun in their own way, but not nearly this gorgeous.
And you are so right about our mind having such a powerful influence over how the race goes… I’ve been learning this over the last year or two. Congrats again!

Snamazi February 19, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I seriously adore your blog. You motivate me to hit the trails/treadmill day after day. I REALLY want to work on my speed, I am super slow. Any tips on speed work would be much appreciated! Apologies if you have posted (I am new to your blog, and have a lot of catching up to do!!). PS – Brooke is the cutest!

LeeAnn September 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Yay I’m a new follower and just read this race recap. Coyote hills is a 20 minute drive from my place in Fremont and my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE place to run. I’m glad you enjoyed it so much!