Heel striking and I am a selfless friend.

January 28, 2013

Just one more picture from Coyote Hills.   Are you a heel striker?  I used to be an ‘all the time no matter what heel striker’ but now I just do when I go downhill….

IMG 9016  1

It has been at least a week since Bang’s Friend made an extravagent dinner for us so Billy and I finally decided to let her make us dinner because we are so selfless like that.

This chicken, alfredo, spinach, artichoke and pasta dish was a recipe from The Pioneer Woman.   I honestly thought I was in a fancy restaurant for a minute when I was eating it because it was so good.  The poppyseed salad with candied almonds and french bread also spoke to my soul.

Brooke has officially reached the stage of grabbing every item of food that is within her reach.  I have never been so proud.

That piece of garlic bread never stood a chance.

Every part of the below Cannoli Tart was homemade!  This made my cut for one of the desserts I will be having this year (which is saying a lot because I have been narrowing down my top 200 favorite desserts down to just the top 10 that I am going to have on my birthday) for my 27th birthday.

Has anyone played The Game of Things?  IT IS HILARIOUS.  I have to go buy one so that I can play with Billy everyday when he gets home from school.

I sure am glad that I have brainwashed Billy to just know that at the end of the night he needs to get the camera out and take a picture of us girls at any and all get-togethers.

I have decided that trail races are MUCH easier on my body.  My joints like running on dirt a lot more than pavement so I am ready to go for a nice and easy run today!

——————————————————–

Remember how I am 100% completely obsessed with the BlueBuds X from JayBird? You can get 20% off on a pair of BlueBuds X from today until February 4th @ midnight!  Enter in the code HRG20 at checkout to get 20% off my favorite wireless headphones.

——————————————————-

Are you a heel striker or a mid foot striker when running?

Have you ever made any recipes from the Pioneer Woman? What was it?  How did it turn out?

Best dessert that you ate over the weekend?

How old are you turning this year?

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes January 28, 2013 at 5:05 am

Definitely a heel striker! Best dessert was a fro yo date with my boys last night!!! And I will be 26 this year… wow that’s old! Oh well, I guess it’s better than the alternative (not having a birthday haha)

Brooke @ Running In Heels January 28, 2013 at 5:05 am

I used to be a heel striker to my core.. until I got a tibial stress fracture that just wouldn’t go away! I bought Newton shoes and it completely changed my foot strike and my life! Love them :)

Dagmar January 28, 2013 at 5:09 am

That food looks amazing! And I love running pics! Just please post all the pics you have of the race! :-)
I have never been a heel striker – always forefoot. I am turning 34 this year!

Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns January 28, 2013 at 5:10 am

only when i go downhill :) best dessert was my froyo, i even topped it with whip cream and a cherry :) turning 21 this year!!!

Jessica R @ fromthekitchentotheroad January 28, 2013 at 5:10 am

I am a heel striker for the most part. Right now I am more of a mid foot striker because of the snow and ice but I’m sure that will change back after winter finally goes away. I will be turning 29 this year. I am getting dangerously close to 30. Luckily I am not one who gets freaked out about getting older. Not yet at least.

Kattrina January 28, 2013 at 5:10 am

Wow – Bangs friend is amazing! Have you started feeding Brooke any food yet? My son is just a few weeks younger than Brooke but he’s not interested in food at all so we’re waiting a bit longer.

I have made many Pioneer Woman recipes. I have her recipe book and I’ve printed a ton of recipes from her website. I haven’t made the chicken alfredo one though. I like all of her recipes so far, but some are a bit time consuming and messy to make. And some require huge cuts of beef that I can’t find at the grocery store or that cost $50, so I haven’t made those.

I didn’t really have dessert this weekend, just come cookies. Chips Ahoy Chewy – they are yummy but nothing special. That Cannoli Tart looks amazing!

This year I turn 33! Wow – I am so old. It’s funny because when I was younger I thought 33 was so old, but now that I’m almost 33 I feel the same as I did when I was younger. Not any older really.

Have a great day!

Brooke Elyse January 28, 2013 at 5:11 am

I turn 20 and my birthday is next week!! Yay!
also- loving those headphones… gah, they’re just what I need. thanks for the 20% off!

xo

Phebe January 28, 2013 at 5:16 am

I’m thinking when Brooke gets older she is going to go through the blog and write down all of the delicious things she was not able to eat and force you and Billy to take her to all the restaurants and make all the recipes over again!

Best dessert I had were my mom’s homemade white chocolate chip cranberry cookies. Soo soft and chewy!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 28, 2013 at 5:19 am

Best dessert was my froyo creation last night. Yogurt Mountain is truly amazing. I only heel strike downhill too. Normally I land pretty flat footed. You are such a good friend for letting Bangs cook for you :)

Holly KN January 28, 2013 at 5:20 am

I’m starting to get my husband similarly trained. :)

Except…I’m a wuss and still afraid to ask friends if I can post pictures of them to my blog. So instead, I just post pictures of my husband, who obviously gave implicit permission for such shenanigans when he married me. Even if I didn’t have a blog then… :)

Best dessert…hmmm…on Saturday, my husband and I went to an ice cream place (literally a 60 second trip from our apartment) that serves ice cream made from brown rice milk. It’s actually good enough that you wouldn’t really know that. And although neither of us are lactose intolerant, we STILL go. Which is saying something. Mostly, it’s saying that they have tremendously delicious ice cream flavors, like peanut butter brownie (my fave), french chocolate (simple but good), and pineapple tart (pineapple tarts are a local treat…this is them, in ice cream – yum!). The PBB was so good…that I asked/made my husband go back to get my another scoop last night! :)

Turning 31. I don’t mind the age, but I don’t like prime numbers. Not feeling so enthused on this one…

Khushboo January 28, 2013 at 5:25 am

Bangs friend is a keeper- yum food :)! I’m turning the ripe old age of 25 in June!

Deana January 28, 2013 at 5:32 am

Trying to make sure I mid strike – but not something I am solid on as of yet..

I have the first Pioneer Woman cookbook and often make her mashed potatoes – my hubby calls them Heart Attack Potatoes but they are SOOOO GOOD! Cinnamon Rolls, Chicken Fried Steak, etc…everything was solid out of it so far.

Turning 32 next week. Gosh! That has happened fast. 3 kids and getting ever closer to the mid 30′s. Yikes!

Amanda January 28, 2013 at 5:42 am

When is your bday? Mine is the 4th and I will be 32 also!!

Deana January 28, 2013 at 6:45 am

The 5th! I keep giving hints to my hubs for a new Garmin – he isn’t biting. Any running items on your wish list?

Amanda January 28, 2013 at 8:13 am

I just got a Forerunner 10 (graduation gift to myself :))!! I really want some Pro Compression socks!

Emily N January 28, 2013 at 5:34 am

I definitely AM a heel striker. I discovered how bad it was in pictures from my first marathon. And it gets worse as I get more tired. But now, I am working hard to correct it. I wear Newtons sometimes and apparently I do not strike AT ALL when wearing them (WIN!) and am working on it in other shoes, especially by paying close attention to my cadence.

Mollie January 28, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I have had my Newtons for about a month and wear them on every run. It took a while to get used to them, but I am loving them now.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 28, 2013 at 5:35 am

I’ve never been much of a heel striker! I do have a habit of running on the outside of my feet though which of course is no fun when I twist my ankle. That dessert does look yummy! Best dessert I had this weekend was a chocolate chip cookie from Paradise Bakery… I think I am in heaven every time I eat one of those things.

Nicole January 28, 2013 at 5:39 am

I always think I’m not much of a heel striker, but my race photos say otherwise. That dessert looks AMAZING.

I’ll be 26 in March!

Kim@hungryhealthygirl January 28, 2013 at 5:40 am

I made Pioneer woman’s barbecue meatballs. They were awesome! I’m turning 34 this year… Yuck!

Amanda January 28, 2013 at 5:41 am

Had fro yo yesterday, no toppings though. It was my fav, orange sorbet and vanilla mixed. I ate my obsession, choco poms afterwards. My birthday is next week, I will be 32.

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles January 28, 2013 at 5:41 am

Mid foot striker. I hear that is a good thing.
I haven’t made anything of hers yet, but I want to. Now I can’t remember what I saw on her site that I wanted to make.
Apple crumb tart thing. They made me do it.
Ugh. 40. Which seems to be a bigger deal to everyone else than to me.

The Kidless Kronicles

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 28, 2013 at 5:42 am

I will not be jealous over the fact that you had cannoli this weekend and I only had homemade chocolate chip oatmeal cookies…. but next time, invite me over, kay? ;) I’ve never played The Game of Things, but I adore all games you can play in a big crowd, so I’ll have to check that one out. Oh, and you look pretty epic in your running shots :D

Happy Monday, girlie!

Erin @ erinruns January 28, 2013 at 5:42 am

Did you make a conscious effort to become a mid strike runner? And, if yes, do you have any tips for me!! I just switched to Brooks Cadence and feel that it is changing my heel strike to more of a mid strike, but I would live to hear input on it.

Oh- and that pasta dish- looks amazing!

Kim@Runrules January 28, 2013 at 5:49 am

The Brooks Cadence saved me! I was heavy heel striker with over pronation, which was causing a lot of problems. Switched to the Cadence, made conscious effort to get off the heel, and voila! Problem (and injuries) solved! Just recently switched to the Pureflow2 and adore them but could not have made it out of the gate without the Cadence!

Kim@Runrules January 28, 2013 at 5:44 am

I am a former heel striker addict! After a very disappointing and PAINFUL IT band injury I have now switched completely to forefoot running… No pain and I knocked ten minutes off my half marathon time!

Love the pioneer woman… Never followed her recipe but have enjoyed it immensely when my sister in law does…

No dessert for me this weekend… The flu has knocked me out for three days now…ugh…

I’ll be 38 this year… How did that happen?!?!

Andrea @ mainerunnergirl January 28, 2013 at 5:44 am

I turned 26 last week and I ate dessert every day :) the best one was a chocolate peanut butter cupcake my friend brought me! She actually brought me four…and they’re all gone :/

Christine January 28, 2013 at 5:45 am

I’ll be 32 this year (how come I still feel like I’m 22?), and I LOVE pioneer woman. My fav’s include her bowtie chicken alfredo, the apple fritters, and the taco pizza. Seriously, the apple fritters.
Seriously.
Make them.
today.

Elizabeth January 28, 2013 at 5:45 am

J- Everything out of her cookbook is fabulous–that we have tried–and I have tried most. I use her first cookbook–fabulous and most easy. Have a wonderful day. Love and Hugs–e

Lauren January 28, 2013 at 5:49 am

I don’t think I’m a heel striker but I do notice more pressure on my heels downhill. I thought that was normal though. Best dessert I ate all weekend was unbelievable carmel frappucino fro yo! OMG I’m still thinking about it!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 28, 2013 at 5:50 am

All of that food sounds so amazing!!!

Shannon January 28, 2013 at 5:50 am

Best dessert I ate over the weekend was the multiple ice cream sundaes I had. It’s my 25th birthday today so I made sure to have the biggest sundae bar at my birthday party. Great idea, because now there are so many leftovers that I get one every day this week.

Liz January 28, 2013 at 5:55 am

I love the pioneer woman–her recipes are amazing. Her blog gives you step by step instructions for each recipe. I have made her Cajun pasta as well as veggie lasagna. I would recommend both!! I’ve been snacking on valentines day candies this weekend. And this year I will turn 26!!

Scallywag January 28, 2013 at 5:56 am

Are you a heel striker or a mid foot striker when running?

Im reassssssssonably midfoot, but when I get tired my form goes to … rot. My new shoes have a lower front to discourage it.

How old are you turning this year?

The year I will be TWENTY FOUR. Jeepers.

Jenn@ Run It My Way January 28, 2013 at 5:59 am

I like to think I’m a mid-foot striker, but I am probably actually hitting with my heel and don’t know it!

I love the pink running shirt you’re wearing! Do you mind if I ask where you got it? I figure it’s totally cool make a list of things I want for Valentines day from boy hehe and running gear is my favourite thing :)

Caitlin January 28, 2013 at 6:00 am

I want to say I use to be more of a heel striker but since switching to Brooks Pure Cadence I’ve become more of a mid-foot striker. Similarly I’m probably a heel striker on the downhills.

I recall making a Pioneer recipe a long time ago, but can’t remember what it was- I’m sure it was amazing, though!

Best dessert: Finishing off my oatmeal raisin cookies I made and the Go Max Go Jokerz bar.

I’ll be 28 this year. Such a big #.

Tarin January 28, 2013 at 6:00 am

Is it bad to heel strike?

Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution January 28, 2013 at 6:33 am

Yes! I went to a running seminar yesterday, and one exercise he had us do was to bounce on the balls of our feet. It’s very easy, you spring right back up. Then he had us try to bounce on the heels of our feet. If you try it, you’ll notice that it’s pretty tough. It was a great exercise, because it illustrated how striking with your heel kind of “puts the brakes on” which makes every part of your body work hard to run!

Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution January 28, 2013 at 6:04 am

I went to a yoga for runners class yesterday, and the guy who owns the local running shop was there doing a seminar before the class. He was talking about cadence and gait and he said that even the most neutral runners tend to heel strike when they are running downhill! So you’re ok!

Johann January 28, 2013 at 6:05 am

I’m a natural mid to front foot striker – lucky me as I haven’t had any injuries since 1995.
Ice cream and hot chocolate sauce! I can never get enough!
I’m turning 50 this year so this will be a very big running year for me.

Debbie January 28, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Johann, congrats on your “big” birthday and hitting a new age group! That’s how I always look at it… I just turned 55. Here’s to many more injury-free years of running!

Amy @Honey Badger Runs January 28, 2013 at 6:06 am

I used to be a heel striker, and it gave me knee pain, so I switched shoes to Newtons, and no have no problems :) Best dessert was a chocolate chocolate cupcake my dh and daughter brought me home on Saturday because I wasn’t well. It technically wasn’t dessert, not sure what meal it was because all I ate was the cupcake and some fudge popsicles. I’ll be 37 this year, and old enough that I couldn’t remember, and had to count!

Lorraine January 28, 2013 at 6:10 am

I hate to admit it.. I will be 45 this summer! I should have started running earlier in life.. I just started 2 years ago. I never knew how great running makes you feel about everything in life. It’s something only runners understand!

You have to get your friend to post her recipies!! It looks great! What kind of camera do you have? You take great photos! I’m all about pix and food!

Sierra January 28, 2013 at 6:16 am

I ate cookie dough last night, straight up out of the bowl and it was by my favorite dessert of the weekend. No thrills, just standard cookie dough….off the charts. I have a really advanced palate.

I’m turning 27 this year too….which is why I really want to dominate 26.2 while I’m still 26. Makes sense, right?

Tammy January 28, 2013 at 6:18 am

Mid foot striker because I sprained my foot from heel striking. My physical therapists runs the ironman 100 miles and taught me form. I try to skIp dessert

Cari January 28, 2013 at 6:21 am

Ill be 27 this year too! I switched to a mid foot strike after getting lots of injuries. Plus I’m faster without wasting time striking my heel!

Jade January 28, 2013 at 6:21 am

I am a heel striker! It is a hard habit to break! I have noticed it especially when I’m wearing racing flats.

Nerri January 28, 2013 at 6:23 am

I used to be a heel striker but now solidly mid-foot. The Pioneer Woman is AMAZING and has hands down the best recipe for cinnamon rolls (which can also be modified to include NUTELLA). I had a “mug of chocolate” at dinner last night that was basically a molten chocolate cake in a mug :) delicious! And I will be turning 28 this year!

lori@ www.chasinglori.blogspot.com January 28, 2013 at 6:26 am

Pioneer woman is my favorite recipe blog (her grandmother taught my parents in elementary school) meaning we are from the same are of the country!! I’m a heel striker!

misszippy January 28, 2013 at 6:27 am

I am happily a reformed heel striker, now midfooter. My body is happy with that change, trust me!

Your trail race sounded amazing! I’ve done one so far and plan my first 50k this fall. Can’t wait!

Brooke is so stinking cute!

Danica @ It's Progression January 28, 2013 at 6:34 am

I made a (completely from scratch) homemade apple pie on Saturday night and that was easily the best dessert I had all weekend!

Julia January 28, 2013 at 6:36 am

I actually think most people are heel strikers whether they realize it or not. I read a study that analyzed the foot strike of runners at mile 19 during a marathon, and the majority of them were heel strikers. Heel striking has such a bad rep, and I get it, but I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad think as long as you are not hitting the ground with your foot way in front of the rest of your body weight.

cathy@1970kikiproject January 28, 2013 at 6:41 am

i am loving reading the mix of ages of the commenters! i turned 43 on january 9th…so i am at the upper age range of your readers, so far!
i am heel striking less, trying to do more mid-foot planting. i have a pair of brooks pureflow on the way, so excited to try them.
great action shot of you running, janae!! way to go!

Allison January 28, 2013 at 6:45 am

Heel striker right here! In college I actually fractured my heel plates.

That pasta looks delish!

Natalie @ Free Range Human January 28, 2013 at 6:46 am

I had a dish of Chunky Monkey over the weekend. Yum!

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy January 28, 2013 at 6:46 am

I’m not a heel striker. Probably because right now I’m a slow runner. I got some great mizuno shoes though so hopefully once I pick up the speed I’ll keep good form.
I’ll be 25 next month. I’ve been married, divorced, and have two beautiful babies. I feel like I’m starting over at 25. Which is not a bad thing!
I haven’t tried any of her recipes but I am a foodnetwork junkie. I love to cook, and love to eat even more!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 28, 2013 at 6:47 am

Haha my post today is about running form! I’m a mid-foot striker, which is something I had to practice for going downhill. I learned how to run/walk downhill from hiking – always keep your feet underneath you!

robyn January 28, 2013 at 6:49 am

you look awesome when you run. i just saw photos from the dubai marathon on the weekend, of me shuffling along-awful, awful things

Becky January 28, 2013 at 6:49 am

I had Ben and Jerry’s Frozen Yogurt this weekend. I also tried their Greek Frozen yogurt and its delish!

I turned 33 this month. AHHHH

I got some zero drop shoes for my birthday and its changing my running posture. Love them!

Brooke @ sweats & sweets January 28, 2013 at 6:53 am

A heel striker, but I’m trying not to be. My shoes are forcing me to use a mid-foot strike so hopefully it’ll get better.

Brianne Eason January 28, 2013 at 6:56 am

I had carrot cake with cream cheese frosting this weekend! So tastey… but honestly I would’ve been happy to just eat a tub of the frosting too.

Missy January 28, 2013 at 7:06 am

I have both of her cookbooks and I LOVE everything I have made from them.
This weekend since it’s been rainy I made her chicken and noodles.
Ahhhmazing!
I heel strike sometimes but I’m working on it ;-)
I will turn 37, oh dear, in September.

Allee @ Griselda Mood January 28, 2013 at 7:09 am

Omg! That pasta dish looks amazing as does the canoli tart! Is she accepting new friends, by chance? ;-)

Sarah @PickyRunner January 28, 2013 at 7:11 am

Awwww brooke with the garlic bread. SO CUTE! I love it. And pasta and cannoli tarts? You know how to pick friends ;)

Ali January 28, 2013 at 7:15 am

I used to heel strike so bad and I had injury after injury from doing it. I finally tried to run in minimalist shoes (first vibrams, then Nike Free) and it makes me much better at mid foot striking, but it felt so awkward at first! That’s a hard one to break.

Rachel H. January 28, 2013 at 7:16 am

Janae- Trail running is the best! I’m so glad you get to run them now you are where it isn’t so cold. Florida has awesome trail runs that are so laid back and beautiful. They are also cooler as most are along rivers and through forests and out of the sun so we have a huge trail running population. Great job on the placing!

Rachel January 28, 2013 at 7:17 am

You look awesome in your race pics! I am totally a heel striker but I am trying to work on it. I have been wanting to get into trail running. It’s pretty popular here in Bozeman, MT so I’ll probably sign up for a race in the spring once the snow is gone.

Brittany January 28, 2013 at 7:20 am

OMG yes I LOVE the game of things!!!!!!! It’s fantastic! That’s incredible that Trail Races are easier on your body?? you KILLED it!!!

michelle kim January 28, 2013 at 7:25 am

Definitely a heel striker. And I’m going to have to check out that game! Our church group is super into board games :)

Mallory January 28, 2013 at 7:43 am

You have got to make the Pioneer woman’s PANCAKES… they are fluffy and buttery and amazing. Probably fluffy bc of the 3 tbsp baking powder, seems excessive, but just go with it!! AMAZING!

I will be turning 24 (not til October)… So far 23 has been very good to me! Way better than 22.

Princess Loredee Gabot January 28, 2013 at 7:52 am

I’m a mild striker! I’m turning 17 this November.

Katie @ running4cupcakes January 28, 2013 at 8:07 am

i want that dinner. now. and it is only 10am! ;)

Stephanie @ Steph's Miles January 28, 2013 at 8:17 am

I think I’m a foot striker. I am turing 25 this year! Ah that’s a quarter century!

Lucy January 28, 2013 at 8:19 am

Heel striker…and I can’t seem to change this!

TorontoRunner January 28, 2013 at 8:37 am

I used to be a crazy heel striker – now more mid-foot!

i wish I could cook like that..
Bday is in 8 dayssssssss!

Laura @ runningjunkie123 January 28, 2013 at 8:38 am

That cannoli tart looks AWESOME. I must find a recipe:-)

Kay January 28, 2013 at 8:43 am

That dinner looks awesome! I love PW recipes :o)

Katherine January 28, 2013 at 8:44 am

Raw cookie is the bomb. :)

Leah January 28, 2013 at 8:50 am

I just made the Pioneer Woman’s tres leches cake a few weeks ago. Delicious! I’m making her chicken florentine pasta next week.

Sharisse January 28, 2013 at 8:54 am

Best dessert: churros with triple vanilla ice cream and Trader Joe’s caramel with fleur de sel drizzled all over! What a brilliant idea my friend had!

I am turning 27, too!

Amanda January 28, 2013 at 9:08 am

Had TWO awesome desserts this weekend :) I made my very first ice cream cake with my new ice cream maker and it turned out AMAZING. I also made my weekend trip to coldstone like I do every weekend; never gets old! Love all your race pics! And I love seeing all the pics of that precious baby girl. She’s adorable.

Lauren January 28, 2013 at 9:13 am

That cannoli tart looks amazing! I just tried Ben and Jerry’s Cannoli ice cream last night. mmmm!

I’m turning 23 on Thursday!!! Best dessert I had was fig bars I made yesterday!

Rebecca@Runningfoodbaby January 28, 2013 at 9:18 am

I’m a heel striker on occasion – doesn’t seem to bother me much

I made some chocolate chip cookies this weekend – nice and gooey!

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 28, 2013 at 9:26 am

I will be 25 on friday! time sure does fly!
and i have made 2 differnet pastas from pioneer woman and LOVED them!!

STUFT Mama January 28, 2013 at 9:52 am

When is your birthday???? Um…. you rocked that race friend. YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to race together again soon (and eat dessert). He he.

rachelle January 28, 2013 at 9:58 am

MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RACE JANAE! Seriously my friend you are such an incredible example of hardwork, dedication, and heart. I freaking love you and cannot believe how well you are running.

Love that last picture of you beautiful girls!

Amy N. January 28, 2013 at 10:00 am

I’m totally a forefoot striker. I’m working on transitioning to a mid foot, but I still run like an awkward ballet dancer.

Do you think bangs friend wants to move to Washington State? It’s gorgeous up here (as long as you don’t find sun necessary to your survival) and we will be very appreciative of her amazing food.

Also, if I know you (and I do better than you even realize) your birthday party will hvae the best food ever and I might need to come to it. Do you have any discount travel packages for your party available?

Annette January 28, 2013 at 10:06 am

So this has nothing to do with this post, but I went to Trader Joe’s for the first time this weekend and bought all of your top 10 items (among plenty of other things). The cashier asked if I had shopped there before because I was buying some of the best items! haha.

I would also have to add the Roasted Garlic Salsa and Bacon Cheddar Ranch Dip to the top of the list as well – they are delicious!!

HilJo January 28, 2013 at 10:15 am

Heel striker–how do you change??? Please post about that process. I dont want any more stress fractures.

Also, that first picture of you is majorly intense. I see what you mean when you said you were “in the zone”.

Sharsti@theblondehairblueeyedrunner January 28, 2013 at 10:23 am

I heel strike when I go to downhill too! I’m not sure about other times, I just know I am going downhill from a race photo haha How did you change your form?

Emily January 28, 2013 at 10:31 am

Janae,

Random but I was just thinking how I would totally love to buy a hungry runner girl t-shirt. Do you have anything in the works? I think you should :-)

Have a nice day!

Renee January 28, 2013 at 10:43 am

I am a heel striker, but am currently trying to change that. I have Achilles tendonitis in my right foot and heel striking aggravates it.

I made The Pioneer Woman’s chicken fried steak and it was delicious. And I made a soup recipe that was just eh.

Homemade cheesecake (by my sister-in-law) and monster cookies!

I will be 25 February 8th!

Kari @ Running Ricig January 28, 2013 at 10:44 am

My foot strike definitely depends on where I’m running and if it’s flat, uphill, or downhill. For the most part, though, I’m a mid-foot striker.

Allison January 28, 2013 at 10:52 am

I actually run on my toes! I know it’s not great, but that’s what 18 years of dance did to me. That salad looks great. I cannot get over how adorable Brooke is…I love seeing all the new pictures you post of her :)

runningwithscissors January 28, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m a heel striker. I really make a conscious effort to be more of a mid-foot striker (and I swear I am) but race pictures tell a much much different story.
I will be turning 39 this year. Creeping up quickly on the big 4-0!
Never quite gotten around to making one of Pioneer Woman’s recipes. I have good intentions often but……
My dessert intake was down over the weekend but tonight that will change. My mom made Pumpkin Better Than …Cake from http://www.somethingswanky.com. I made it a few weeks ago and it was absolutely fabulous!

Maureen January 28, 2013 at 11:08 am

I am definitely a heel striker…. how did you break yourself of that?? Congrats again on a great trail race and happy almost soon to be birthday! :) I will be turning 29 in August… pure craziness.

Annette@FitnessPerks January 28, 2013 at 11:17 am

I used to be a bad heel striker, but it’s gotten better! Looking good, girl!

p.s. that dinner loos ahhhmmmmazing.

Aurora January 28, 2013 at 11:23 am

Hey J!
So I’m a gung-ho newbie to long distance running and I have a few (maybe silly) questions:
First off, I think my strike is changing because an injury has me strapped to the treadmill rather than outside (where I prefer to run) and I noticed my stride is different. It’s getting longer and my arch/ball of left foot/big toe has been aching lately. When I’m outside, I’m a conscious heel striker and my stride is short. I wonder if my longer stride on the tready has me hitting the ground flat footed (what’s that called, again)? I don’t think it’s anything like plantar faciitis because my heel isn’t in any pain. I just wonder if you or any other reader noticed pains like this when your stride changed? I’ve been icing and wearing a brace, but I was hoping there might be a way to speed up the healing.

Thanks for your help. I LOVE your blog. You have such a great connection to everyone and your love of running is contagious!

-Fellow fro-yo lover and “running-for-sanity” nut, Aurora.

Heather @ Run Eat Play January 28, 2013 at 11:34 am

That dinner looks delicious…now I’m hungry!
I’ll be 31 this year…ahhhh!!!

Katie January 28, 2013 at 11:34 am

I LOVE board games! I’ll have to check out the game of Things. Never played it before! And omg that cannoli! Whoa. Can Bangs be my friend, too? :) I’m turning 26 on the 26th of June!!! Exciting stuff!

xo

Kathy McElhaney January 28, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I have a natural mid-foot strike. Last year I tried lower heel drop shoes because they are so popular and I ended up injured! I tried fixing what wasn’t broke.

I think I might be one of your oldest readers – I’ll be 49 in April! I’m loving this stage of life ;)

Abby@Workoutchick January 28, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Best dessert (and only) over the weekend was brownies. I will be turning the old age of 26 next month!!! yikes!! I have tried The Pioneer Woman’s meatloaf– wasn’t my favorite.

Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 28, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I’m definitely a heel striker…any tips for working on that? I always feel so awkward when I try!

Blaire @ Just Been Running January 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I used to think I was a heel striker because I kept having IT band problems, but I guess I am when I run downhill!

I made amazing banana pina coladas this weekend and they were really sweet so I will go ahead and count those as my dessert! :)

I just turned 26 on January 11! Can’t believe I’m closer to 30 than 20…scary, but exciting at the same time!

Meagan @ Managing Meagan January 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Awwww! Brooke is getting SO BIG!!!!

I turn the big 3-0 this year. Craaaazy!!!!!!

Ranae January 28, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I am definitely a heel striker and I didn’t even realize it! I have heard of the pioneer women recipes but have never actually used one. Guess I now have something to try this week some time :-) I’ll let you know how it goes!

Kathee January 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm

49 in June. Thanks for asking. I feel 30 though. Not much dessert this weekend, just some chocolate covered pomagranates to ease the pain of my fall last week. One big piece of advice as you age and have kids – core strength! Saved my back and keeps me strong in my later years. Hahahaha

Lovely Ride January 28, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I know you said you think your shorts are too short, but you have AMAZING legs. The world needs to know about them :)

Therese January 28, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I am a heel striker, I don’t want to be, so sometimes I work in intervals of not heal striking….

Ruth@FacetiousFarang January 28, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I love the game of things! I play it all the time with my family, but sometimes we toss out the questions and make up our own.

ps: is that a lululemon shirt that you’re wearing in your race photo? I have two of them, and they are the best work-out shirts ever!

The Hungry Runner Girl January 28, 2013 at 6:15 pm

It is! They are my favorite shirts ever!

Linda B January 28, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I just adore your Blog it is one of my favorite’s to look forward to. I was wondering
Were you bought your Leather Jacket it is so Gorgeous . Congratulations on your
Trail half Marathon you Rock.

The Hungry Runner Girl January 28, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Thank you sooo much! I got it at banana republic 3 years ago and I love it!

Losing Lindy January 28, 2013 at 6:53 pm

ack, I am turning 40 this year, and I haven’t tried anything from pioneer woman

Heather January 28, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Burgendy mushrooms from Pioneer woman – cook for 9 hours, yep – awesomeness like you have never had.

Lindsay January 28, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I’m actually drooling over the photo of that dessert. I had tiramisu this weekend – one if my faves! The restaurant I was at out its own banana-berry spin on it, and I was beyond skeptical, but it was soooo good (I may also say that about every dessert I eat…)

Katie January 28, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I made meatballs that were inspired by Pioneer Woman’s recipe, and they were really good. Seeing your delicious-looking food makes me think I should explore her other recipes…

catie January 29, 2013 at 8:08 pm

her cinnamon rolls are TO DIE FOR! really, so good.