A Mid-Life Crisis

June 13, 2012

I am very concerned.  Billy must be going through a mid-life crisis at the age of 26.

This is what happened:

1-The NBA Finals game started at 7 pm Mountain Standard time.

2-Yoga started at the exact same time.

3-Billy texted me earlier in the day to see if we could go to yoga.

4-I don’t even know who he is anymore.  To compare the situation to me to show you how much he loves watching basketball, it would be like me telling him that I didn’t want to run, play with my nieces and go to Which Wich followed by fro-yo all combined.

Photo 1 1

We went to yoga at The LAB and tried out a new instructor.  He was awesome and we got a great workout/stretch in the 70 minute class.  I absolutely love this gym.  Everyone is so friendly, the equipment is all brand new and it is adorable.  Hopefully yoga will continue to get Billy’s IT band feeling better.

Billy had to show off his cool rings skills after class but I showed him up with showing how I could go upside down on the rings and dismount with a double back flip.  Somehow the picture of me doing that got deleted so I do not have any proof of my awesome tricks, just trust me on this one.

Photo 2

Don’t worry too much about Billy’s change in character because we rushed over to my parent’s house to watch the second half of the game right after yoga.

It was perfect timing because look who FINALLY got home from visiting my brother in Kentucky?  It has been 7 days without my sis and her kiddos and I have been going through withdrawals.  Her Dora the Explorer luggage is bigger than she is.

How could you not miss that face?

Welcome to a running and food blog where the author eats pancakes 4 nights a week and regularly overdoses on watermelon.  PS syrup drowning the pancakes occurred post eating all of the fruit.    PS I snack a lot more now that my stomach is getting more squished so that is why you don’t see my usual portions….big meals hurt now.

Now we are just chilaxin on the couch watching the rest of the game with the only ice cream in my mom’s freezer…Skinny Cows.  Skinny Cows are somewhat delicious but after the amazing ice cream I had earlier in the day it just tasted wrong.

Billy is trying to soak in every moment he has with me before I leave him for 36 hours to go to NYC, how did he ever live without me?  PS don’t forget to come to lunch on Thursday if you are in NYC.  Details HERE!

Photo

——————————————————

Are you rooting for Miami, Oklahoma or neither because you could care less about basketball:)

-Oklahoma!

What was the last fruit that you ate? Have you been eating watermelon like crazy too?

What is your eating style….snacker, three big meals, 5 mini-meals?  What about your family or significant other?

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 13, 2012 at 6:30 am

I snack all day long – and cherries are my current fruit obsession! I’m watching baseball, not basketball. :)

Kris @ www.kris-lawrence.com June 13, 2012 at 6:30 am

I’ve been eating blueberries like they are candy! They are so cheap this time of year making me a happy girl. No watermelon for me.

I try to stick with 3 big meals a day with veggies or a larabar as snacks if I’m hungry. I’m really a snacker but I tend to over eat that way. My kids would snack all day long if I let them and my husband NEVER snacks. Not snacking is weird right?

susette June 13, 2012 at 6:37 am

I could not care any less about basketball, shhh, don’t let the boys in this household know I said that.

I’m so glad your little cuties are home. That is going to be so sad when you are moved away from them. They will definitely miss their favorite Aunt Janae.

Khushboo June 13, 2012 at 6:40 am

Man some people say they eat 3 meals, others graze….errr I kinda do both ;)! I love your niece’s expression as she eats the cereal- too cute! I just ate an apple and it was super sweet…although if i had to choose one fruit to eat after a run, watermelon would win by far!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 13, 2012 at 6:51 am

I’m LOVING watermelon right now, too! Especially since it’s on sale … score! ;)

And I just love that curly mop of hair! Does she know that she’s pretty much the star of your blog haha?! I think you, Billy, and Curly are all tied for the role!

Tara June 13, 2012 at 6:52 am

Woohoo! Thunder up baby! This state is nuts right now. Glad to see all is well. Cheers!

Phebe June 13, 2012 at 7:00 am

I have three bigger meals and three snacks throughout the day. Basically I like to be eating at all times :)

Miami all the way!!! I couldn’t care less who wins, personally, but my boyfriend has loved Miami since he was 11 and if they lose he gets super depressed.

The last fruit I ate were bell peppers. Red are my fave!

Sloan June 13, 2012 at 7:08 am

My co workers are religious about watching the games… I don’t really care or know what’s going on…

I had a strawberry yesterday–technically I’m not allowed to eat fruit, so that was my first piece in MONTHS and it tasted like heaven,

I eat bigger meals, but have a few veggie/cheese stick snacks in the middle of the day sometimes. My roommates pretty much do the same thing. Though since I’ve been training harder I”ve been a bottomless pitt!! Gahhh!

Gracie (Complicated Day) June 13, 2012 at 7:10 am

I’m torn. I don’t love Miami because I’m not a Lebron fan AND they beat the Celtics, whom I love.
But I don’t like it when expansion teams win. It seems cheesy to me.

Cate June 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

I’m rooting for OKC because I despise the Heat (Boston fan all the way)! But, I think technically the Thunder isn’t an expansion team since they used to be the Seattle Supersonics. So, this should make them less cheesy and you can cheer for them all the way! :)

Mary June 13, 2012 at 7:11 am

I know NOTHING about basketball.

We love watermelon too! Here is a tip for in a year- stick it in the freezer for 15-20 mins, till it just starts to get hard and you have a perfect teething food for 1 (and 2) year old molars.

My birthday was yesterday so I am working myway through an editable arrangement (so much better then flowers) currently eating a piece of pineapple the size of my face….on a stick.

Kattrina June 13, 2012 at 7:12 am

I don’t follow basketball at all – I have no idea who’s playing and didn’t even realize basketball was still going on. I follow baseball and football more closely. And soccer. And I’m super excited about the Olympics.

The last fruit I ate was an orange and (too many) bing cherries. I am trying to eat a citrus fruit every day because my birthing class says it helps build a strong membranes for the uterus and sac – to help with delivery and keep my water from breaking prematurely. I love citrus fruit so it’s not too hard to do. Eating a leafy green vegetable (another strong recommendation) seems to be more difficult. I haven’t done it yet. :-(

And I am a three-square-meals girl + grazer. Yeah, I have problems. I pretty much eat all the time.

Jessica R June 13, 2012 at 7:21 am

I eat 5 mini meals. I can’t handle 3 meals because I am hungry all the time. I eat a ton of fruit but haven’t gotten any watermelon yet. I was tempted last weekend but my grocery store is kind of lame and I am worried I will be disappointed. It is a rough life. I think my husband is more of a 3 meals guy but he seems to graze all night long after work.

Allison June 13, 2012 at 7:22 am

I cannot stop eating grapes.

Siobhan @ SiobhanMcCarthy.ca June 13, 2012 at 7:22 am

I’m a 3 meals with snacks allll day long kind of girl!

When it comes to basketball, I’m a Boston Celtics fan!

And watermelon you ask? I can actually eat an entire one to myself. Once I start, I just can’t stop! They are too good! Last fruit? Banana.

CatieB June 13, 2012 at 7:32 am

I want Oklahoma to win too!
And I’m on the watermelon bandwagon too, sooo good!!!

Yellow Haired Girl June 13, 2012 at 7:35 am

I’d like to be a 5 meal a day kinda girl, but I’m a 3-er. Depends on the day for the amount of snacks I have :)

Last fruit I had was cherries. There’s a bowl of them staring me in the face right now!

Lindsey June 13, 2012 at 7:44 am

Eating a banana and nectarine right now.
I have never been a watermelon fan but this year I have already bought and ate two, very unlike me! Love it in salads too.
I eat my 3 meals and 2-3 snacks, one morning, one afternoon and if needed one bedtime one or dessert. My husband eats a larger lunch and doesn’t do the am/pm snacks.

Holly June 13, 2012 at 7:45 am

YAYYYY!! Your sister is back & your nieces & nephew. WOOHOOO!!! :D Now you have to spend extra time with them to catch up!!!!

Kelsey June 13, 2012 at 7:46 am

I cannot get enough of watermelon! I dream of it all day long!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 13, 2012 at 7:48 am

haha I had no idea the NBA finals game was even happening…

CJ June 13, 2012 at 7:49 am

Not so much a fan of any pro sports–college sports are just more fun.

Melon!!! Mostly of the honeydew type.

3 meals? 5 snacks? More like continuous grazing over here ;)

Have a BLAST in NYC!

mary @ minutespermile June 13, 2012 at 7:50 am

oh man, rings remind me of my old gymnastics days! so funny. wait, can i be a big meals AND snacker girl? because i need snacks between big meals. hehehehe

Megan@ The Running Doc June 13, 2012 at 7:52 am

I’m glad I’m not the only girl being forced to watch these basketball games by their significant other. :) I’m rooting for OKC, too!

Watermelon has been so good lately! And I love that it’s so cheap. We have one on our counter right now just waiting to be cut up!

Theresa June 13, 2012 at 7:53 am

not a big basketball fan, football is another story though!

cherries are my summer fruit of choice…you might disown me as a friend after i say this, but im really not a huge fan of watermelon…lol

i’m really more of a snacker but i should just eat 5 mini meals and call it a day. kevin doesnt really pay attention to when he eats and that blows my mind…i’m always looking forward to my food ;)

Meghan Rene June 13, 2012 at 7:53 am

I’m a NCAA Syracuse basketball girl! I don’t enjoy the NBA as much.

I like to eat several things throughout the day. Life is more fun when you eat!!

Gotta figure this lunch thing out!

Kari @ Running Ricig June 13, 2012 at 7:53 am

Now I want to make pancakes for lunch. I usually eat three meals a day, but with snacks in between. Usually breakfast and lunch are small, but dinner big.

THe last fruit I ate was an apple.

Sarah June 13, 2012 at 7:53 am

THUNDER UP!

Okay, girl, I’ve been reading and enjoying your blog for a few months, but you have just scored major extra brownie points (mmmmm… brownies….). I live in OKC and have been a diehard Thunder fan since they got here. As Tara said, the state is going NUTS right now. It’s so exciting!!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) June 13, 2012 at 7:55 am

I am typically a three meal a day girl. Though during late pregnancy I too found it way to hard to eat my usual size full meals. I had to eat small snacks/mini meals more often. There was just no more room for large meals + baby! Ha! You are getting closer. My girl is 6 weeks now and we are in heaven. You will LOVE it.

Chels R. June 13, 2012 at 8:11 am

Oklahoma baby! So glad they won last night. Let’s keep it going!! :-)

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) June 13, 2012 at 8:15 am

Haha I bet it was only because it was Game 1 of the finals that he was fine missing the first half for yoga! I’m rooting for Oklahoma too!

Shauna @ Balancing Bites June 13, 2012 at 8:30 am

Not a basketball fan. I don’t know anything about it. The last fruit I ate was a big bowl of strawberries. I actually only got to eat about 1/4 of it while my son ate the rest. He loves fruit. I typically eat three meals and one snack.

Ali @SeeAliEatSeeAliRun June 13, 2012 at 8:53 am

I think Curly’s little dirty feet are so adorable! I always always had dirty bare feet as a kid-it’s a sign of a happy childhood!

Jenna@redheadrunningwild June 13, 2012 at 9:05 am

Ooh maybe I need to start trying some yoga too!!!! That is pretty crazy that Billy would skip part of the game for it though…my husband will do odd things like that every once in a while…sometimes you just have to shake your head and wonder what is going on in those boy’s minds! ha!
The last fruit I ate was some blueberries with breakfast, and before that I had some strawberries, and before that an apple….yeah I love fruit too much. But the really sad thing is I have a HUGE lovely watermelon that’s been sitting on my counter for days and somehow I haven’t gotten around to eating it yet! What is wrong with me?! Maybe i’m going through a midlife crisis also!
I like to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. It’s easier on my tummy plus I feel like I am always eating, which is, you know, awesome!
P.S. I totally believe you did a back flip off of those rings….:-)

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 13, 2012 at 9:19 am

Haha, that’s awesome that Billy wanted to go to yoga instead! Andy definitely had that game on and was watching it for most of the evening! I am not a huge bball fan, so I didn’t watch it–I don’t even know what teams are playing ha ha.

I agree–Skinny Cow ice creams are nothing like the real thing!

Last fruit I ate was a strawberry–in the form of a huge smoothie that I drank right before bed….not the greatest idea since it led to many bathroom trips.

I’m definitely a snacker and my husband is a 3 large meals and no snacks type of a guy. Somehow we make it work. :D

mallory June 13, 2012 at 9:20 am

That was really funny about Billy! He definitely sounds like a changed man! Yoga does that to people though. It did to me at least. I don’t really care about basketball so I don’t care who wins. The last fruit I had was a banana. Yum.

Erica @ Love the Leap June 13, 2012 at 9:23 am

OKC!!! I CAN’T STAND the Heat grrrr

I’ve been eating blueberries like candy lately!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 13, 2012 at 9:26 am

MIAMI!!! Only because I am from there ;D
Last fruit I ate- bananas!
I usually eat 4-5 smaller meals I guess. It all depends on the day!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 13, 2012 at 9:26 am

Hehe I’m neither…I don’t really follow basketball. I have a feeling that will change when I get married though because my fiance is a sports fanatic!! And I soooo want to play around on those rings! Although I probably think I can do more than I actually can haha. Hope you have a great day love <3

Angela June 13, 2012 at 9:29 am

I think I’ve been eating one watermelon a week all by myself!

Annette@FitnessPerks June 13, 2012 at 9:43 am

I eat like 5-7 times per day (smaller meals/snacks) because it keeps me happy and energized!

Watermelon is SOOOO good. I stuffed myself with it last week on vacay at Powell.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 13, 2012 at 9:44 am

I actually have not had watermelon once this summer. It’s ridiculous!! Lately I’ve been loving berries. My supermarket has been putting them on sale (yay for not spending 5 dollars on blueberries!!) so I’ve been stocking up.

Danielle @ WorkItWearItEatIt June 13, 2012 at 9:44 am

Blueberries! This morning! I’m a 5 meal kinda girl.

Melissa June 13, 2012 at 9:57 am

Go Billy! I can only imagine your shock and surprise–I know if Mike offered to come workout with me instead of watching a game, I’d faint! :)

I have a insane amount of fruit in my house right now, so I’ve been eating fruit like crazy. I had some watermelon, strawberries, and blueberries with breakfast. I have the same combination with grapes and pineapple added packed for lunch today too.

I have 3 meals a day. Usually I’ll have a mid-afternoon snack and an evening snack. But lately my stomach has started growling by 10am so I have a mid-morning snack as well. I’m a much bigger snacker (and eater!) than Mike, but he will have a snack after work and then sometimes one after supper. He doesn’t eat breakfast, so he typically digs into his lunch by 9am (he starts work at 6)!

Hayley @ Running Down the Runway June 13, 2012 at 10:04 am

The last fruit I had was a big bowl of pineapple about ten minutes ago. Can you call me out of work so I can make it to New York?!??! I’m also a major snacker and eat at least once an hour!

Jill June 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

THUNDER UP!!!!!!!!!!

last fruit eaten was watermelon…yum!!!
and, I am a grad student so eating style depends on the day and whats all happening.

Grecia June 13, 2012 at 10:23 am

I have been eating watermelon like crazy! My goal is that by the end of the summer I will have consumed my own weight in watermelon.

Lisa June 13, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’m definitely an all day long snacker. I don’t like sitting down for big meals, but prefer to eat all through the day. Not much of a basketball fan, I like hockey better

Kate @ Run with Kate June 13, 2012 at 10:45 am

I love that you two not only run together, but you do yoga together now too! It’s lovely. Ever since you posted about Which Wich a few weeks back I’ve been on a kick! I’ve eaten it probably 5x since then!

Lauren June 13, 2012 at 10:54 am

Keep eating the watermelon Janae! My obgyn said it can help keep swelling down in pregnant ladies like ourselves :) It also helps keep heartburn away and it has tons of lycopene in it which can help prevent preeclampsia. I have been eating tons of watermelon and fresh pineapple lately. I just can’t seem to get enough fruit!

Allison @ Running Through Red Lights June 13, 2012 at 11:28 am

I’m definitely a snacker, though I’ll eat big meals if they’re prepared or planned for ahead of time. If I have to think of something to make for dinner after a long day of work, I’ll opt for small snacks to fill me up!

My husband and I polished off a small watermelon between the two of us, and he also had half of a cantaloupe and some bananas for lunch yesterday. We LOVE summer and all of the fresh fruit that comes with it!

I’m not an avid NBA fan, but I am cheering for the Thunder. Kevin Durant is a beast!

Renee June 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

I just ate watermelon for lunch and I’m not really interested in anything else right now…I snack too much and then I’m not hungry for my meals :/

Jake June 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Becky C. June 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I live in Norman, Oklahoma and work in downtown OKC not far from where the Thunder play. I am not a huge basketball fan, but I have to say this place is Thunder Crazy! In a stage that is pretty divided when it comes to college sports Sooners (yeah!), Cowboys (Boo!) it has been pretty cool to see the whole place get behing our Thunder!

Rachelle June 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm

What a fun night! Pancakes are my absolute favorite way to end any day. :)

I am so jealous you are going to NYC!! I must go read your post. yay, yay, yay!!

michelle kim June 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm

OKC, all the way!!

Stephanie June 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I’ve been eating fresh from the garden strawberries all day…I usually lean towards mini-meals multiple times a day during the week to break up my workday but then eat regular meals with the BF on weekends.

Kay June 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I was going to ask how you keep the syrup from touching the watermelon, but you were way ahead of me in your post. haha!

Heidi June 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm

We just went strawberry picking and bought 20 POUNDS! I made three batches of jam and we’ve been having strawberry everything. Waffles with fresh crushed berries, strawberry pancakes, Greek yogurt with strawberries, spinach salad with strawberries… I might be approaching overdose here.

rona June 13, 2012 at 4:22 pm

at 26, it’s a quarter life crisis.. and it’s ok a lot of us go through it :)

Laura Rios June 13, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I eat small meals throughout the day but dinner is always a little bigger than the rest. My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. It just starts everything off right!

I am pretty mush obsessed with all fruit. I eat a golden delicious apple every day! If I add a little almond butter….hmmm goodness.

natalie@ southern fit foodie June 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Cherries!!!! I love them SO much!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 13, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I’ve been loving watermelon, too!

Megan June 13, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Neither, I am not a basketball type of gal!

Last fruit was…an apple! And I’ll eat watermelon like once during the summer and that will be good for me. I just don’t think it’s filling enough for me or something compared to say an apple!

I usually eat three big meals. I always overeat if I snack…I cannot limit myself and won’t stop snacking the whole day.

Gina, book dragon June 13, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I’m a grazer but am trying to have 3 mini meals

No sports but sort of followed Hockey only because of the FB posts of nephew

Cherries were my last fruit but I’ve got some blackberries and a peach calling my name.