10 Tangent Tuesday

April 24, 2012

Tuesday posts really are my favorite because it allows my brain to work the way it likes to work, I get to talk about all of the random things I am thinking about for a sentence and then move on to the next thing floating around in my head.

1.  Why do I do this to myself?  A student brought a big bag of starbursts for me and I ate all of the pink ones and now I am left with the not so great flavors.  Depressing.  Something else that is depressing:  I hate skittles now with a passion…the look of them makes me want to die.  I think it is because I overdosed on them the first trimester when I was sick.

Photo 7 29 02 PM

2.  Thanks mom and dad for getting me braces and for using those foam hair rollers in my hair every night, especially in my bangs.

Photo 2 7 29 02 PM

3.  Today’s lunch salad came with candied nuts and cranberries.  They were so good that I saved them for the end.  I don’t think I will ever be able to eat nuts that aren’t candied again.

Photo copy 2 7 29 02 PM

4.  I know I have put this picture on my blog before but it was over a year ago in my sister’s guest post so I thought I should put it on again because it is actually my favorite picture ever.  Same exact dresses (shirt on me now) and still best friends 20 years later.

Screen Shot 2012 04 23 at 11 46 07 AM

5.  I was going through the pictures on my phone this morning and I am embarrassed to say there are more picture of donuts on there than pictures of people….I can’t stop.

6.  I was too lazy to get a spoon for my yogurt this morning and somehow I bit off one of the fork prongs….why I was biting my yogurt off of the fork I do not know.

Photo copy 3 7 29 02 PM

7.  Another 60 minutes on the elliptical today, ankle feeling a little better but still going to wait to run for a few days.  Ahhhh the nonexistent pressures that go along with pregnant running.

8. I fell asleep on the living room floor last night and stayed there for about an hour.  I actually really enjoy sleeping on the floor every now and then.

9.  23 days of school left.  40 days until my nieces ballet recital (which I am equally excited for).

10.  One of my cute friends just got dumped and it breaks my heart. Break ups are the absolute worst and I am pretty sure I will be egging his car and putting a banana peel under his feet for him to slip on later today.

——————————————————-

Free virtual race with awesome prizes HERE!

——————————————————

Did you have braces?  A retainer? Head gear?

-7 years of orthodontics.  Not kidding.

Do you have any countdowns until something fun right now?

Tell me some tangents about YOUR day!

Ever had food poisoning or ate something while you were sick and ever since then you can’t stand that particular food?  What was it?

Megan @ RunningAimlessly April 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Oh goodness… Once I had fish with mango salsa at a cuban restaurant. As soon as I got home I started puking and didn’t stop for 2 days!! Lost 8 lbs and will NEVER eat mango again (even though I know it was the fish’s fault)!! It took 2 years or so before I could even stand fish.
Sorry for the gross details. It’s your payback for the yummy doughnuts pics that were taunting me this morning.

Janae April 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Oh Megan, that is the saddest thing in the world because mango is amazing. I am upset with that restaurant right now. HAHAHA I think you should get a donut, why not?!?!

Michele @ nycrunningmama April 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I hate temporary braces when I was in hs b/c I almost lost a tooth playing basketball. I got to experience what braces were like for only 4 weeks – so it wasn’t bad at all!
YES! Countdown til we close (20 days), move (37 days), my niece’s recital (about 60 days), and of course, pumpkin (5 months – hopefully a tad less!).
I have been craving steak lately. Same thing during pregnancy #1. So strange b/c I am typically NOT a meat eater! LOL. Oh and swedish fish. So weird
YES! When I was about 10, I ate too much turkey on Thanksgiving and my family didn’t make it home in time for me to see it all again on the side of the road. I can’t even stand the SMELL of it anymore!!

Hope your ankle feels better ASAP!!!!

Janae April 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm

4 weeks…that is the coolest thing ever!!! AHHHH so many fun countdowns. Our kids better be bff. I am the exact same way, I can’t get enough steak or burgers and I am not used to that at all. Thanks girl and no going near turkey ha:)

Tess April 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I love Starburst but only the pink and red. I don’t like the “bag of reds” and everyone buys me those. But hello, they have like, fruit punch (yuck) and watermelon. Just the basic pink and red…thankyouverymuch.

Also, Skittles. Love them. It is possible to overdose. I have gone year without a candy and then be able to eat them again. I went about 5 years without Hot Tamales and they are back in my top 5. Skittles are probably at the botttom and Mike n Ike’s are working their way back in. This is the life when candy is actually one of your main food groups.

Katie April 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I have a countdown right now till Tough Mudder! WOO! haha and yes, around this time last year I ate a bad batch of hummus and just the thought of it right now still makes me feel like barfing! Its sad though cause I am trying to eat healthier and darn that bad batch for ruining me of hummus forever!

Allie April 24, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I will personally COME to UTAH to eat all of the red starburst for ya ;)

Did you have braces? A retainer? Head gear?

-perfect teeth for me :)

Do you have any countdowns until something fun right now?

Nothing fun to count down to at the moment :(

Tell me some tangents about YOUR day!

i was a scribe this morning for a test…..in a cafeteria that was SO cold I had to scribe in my GLOVES!

I ate Wendys for lunch today

I have a cold, my legs are still sore and aunt flo came to town. Seriously can anything else hurt on my body?!

I have clean clothes and I took a bath today to ease my sore leg muscles :)

Ever had food poisoning or ate something while you were sick and ever since then you can’t stand that particular food? What was it?

Never had food poisoning.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 24, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I got food poisoning after eating one of those frozen “Smart Ones” desserts … it was an ice cream thing. I think when they got shipped to the store, they must have been out of the freezer for too long and then were RE-frozen. So the milk went bad and then I ate it. It was the most miserable experience of my life!

LeeAnn April 24, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I am allergic to red food coloring and can only eat the yellow starbursts. People love to share candy with me for some reason!

Mark Matthews April 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Countdown, just 18 hours until the NYCM lottery! Which, I am running for charity regardless, but I’m still in the lottery.

Ann@anntics April 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I have less than three weeks until I quit my job (which is exciting!) and then less than a month until we move to Arizona. I don’t know the exact numbers because I tend to get slightly obsessed with counting down and I really don’t want to wish the time away. I never had braces or anything, but when my wisdom teeth came in they moved some of my front teeth. The dentist didn’t ever notice until I pointed it out to him, which I am taking as a sign that it’s really not that noticeable. My husband had braces for around eight years and he hated it, so we are hoping our children get my teeth!

Megan D April 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm

2 years of braces.

I ate those frozen lean cuisine’s or smart ones while pregnant w/my first and I still can’t even think about frozen dinners without wanting to puke.

14 days till DisneyWorld!!

1 day till my birthday. I have been craving Pita Pit ever since your post, so I think I will be heading down there (is that ghetto birthday dinner or what? Who cares? It’s what I want!) And probably stopping at krispy kreme for a treat afterwords cause now I can’t get a maple bar out of my head! Thanks a lot ;)

Sarah April 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Love that Then and Now pic of you and your sis!

12 days till Long Island Marathon woohoo!

I had a spacer so I had a beautiful space between my two front teeth for a while. It was oh so lovely ;) (not really)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I LOVE that picture of you and your sister, how funny! and I have a great countdown! Including today, 12 days until my second year of law school is over and 14 days until I GO HOME!!!!!! Yes, I’m 24 and I miss my mommy!

Kamaile April 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I love your randoms & the picture with your sister is adorable, then and now, sister=instant bffs!

Kerri April 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm

It’s 47 days until my first half marathon. Yikes!! I’m starting to freak out – I feel like I’m totally not prepared. I’m worried I didn’t choose a good enough training program. I’m just worried about everything to do with it, basically!!

I got sick once (the flu, not food poisoning) when I was little (7 or 8) after eating my moms homemade shepherd’s pie (used to be my favorite!) and I still can’t eat it 30 years later!! It’s so weird how something like that can stick with you for so long!!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm

HAHA. Love the one about the fork. I have no idea how that happened either?!

I definitely had braces. For a VERY LONG time! But it was worth it. ISnt’ most pain worth it in the end?! hah.

Emily April 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Ahhhh, 2.5 years of orthodontics… including 4 teeth extracted (in addition to the 4 wisdom teeth that were also extracted), temporary anchorage devices, a palatal bar, rubber bands, and permanent retainers on both my upper and lower teeth. It was so not fun going through it, but in the end it was worth it!

My husband and I are going on a trip to Spain and France in 18 days to celebrate our 2-year wedding anniversary! Very excited, but I have so much work to get done between now and then so the 18 days simultaneously seems like eternity but also like it’s going to go by in a flash!

Patti @ This Starts Tonight April 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Sounds like she needs a break up basket with lots of chocolate and a voodoo doll…and possibly a screening of Legally Blonde. Nothin’ like a little Luke Wilson for a positive outlook.

I can’t eat Nature Valley Oats n Honey granola bars for that exact reason…

Annnd 26 days until I leave for Tecumseh! Soooo excited!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I had braces forever! I had seriously awful teeth and I am so grateful that I went through those years of braces. I am counting down until summer. I’m done with finals on Monday, ahh!!

Carol April 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I am a teacher. And a runner. And I love your blog :) However today at recess I had a GIGANTIC craving for a Krispy Kreme donut. I blame you, I spent the rest of the day on a donut-withdrawal :) Thank you for always being so great!

Betsy April 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I got carsick driving to lake tahoe. I was drinking a mango snapple, and puked all over the gas station parking lot. I can NOT drink snappe now. Ick.

Carolynn @ The Running Novice April 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm

First of all, orange starbursts are the best!

I had braces in middle school. After losing my retainer 5 times in a year, my mom stopped buying me new ones. I now have crooked teeth that I will have to pay to restraighten :( stupid middle school version of me

I drank Gatorade for the first time in 3rd grade when I had the stomach flu. I threw up after drinking it, so I thought that I was allergic to Gatorade. I never tried it again until high school, even after realizing I wasn’t allergic bc the idea of it made me feel nauseous!

Ashley April 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm

AHhh I started going to the orthodontist when I was 8 and had every appliance you could imagine (the worse is the palate expander) including 2 years of braces. I had perfect teeth for a few years before my stupid wisdom teeth grew in and crowded all my other teeth and now I’m finishing up my 2nd round of braces on Thursday at the age of 21 lol.

I am counting down to a 250 mile bike ride in 15 days!!!

Meagan April 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm

O my goodness I have so many food aversions it’s not even funny haha. When I was little I threw up after eating sausage, pepperoni, and bacon (3 separate episodes, not all at once) and haven’t been able to stand the smell ever since. Also got food poisoning from salmon at my best friend’s rehearsal dinner – I was so sick I still don’t know how I made it through the wedding!

Michelle (Better with Berries) April 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I can’t believe you don’t like the red starbursts – those are the best! I love that photo of you and your sister. I have a photo of me, my brother, and my sister playing in a kiddie pool when we were little and I want to try and recreate that :-)

I am counting down until the end of school, also! I have 21 school days left!

Megan @ Run Like a Grl April 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I had braces for 2 years at the time when everyone thought it was cool. I even had horrible blue rubber bands on them for a while. Looking back, it was horrible looking but at the time I loved it. Who knows why?

I got sick once directly after eating Cup of Noodles (I was about 10) and even now when I smell it, it makes me want to throw up.

caitlin April 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Yay end of school year count down!!!!

Michelle @ runsanity April 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I have the Starbursts Fave Reds at my house right now. There are no bad flavors! Only problem is you will eat the whole bag!

Brienne April 24, 2012 at 6:17 pm

OMG yes I had pasta salad right before I got the stomach flu in second grade and I wouldn’t touch pasta salad again until I was like, twelve. Hopefully that doesn’t happen to your skittles ;)

breakups are the absolute worst, sending positive thoughts to your friend, she’s probably too good for him anyway!!

Leyna April 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm

When I was pregnant with my second, I made ahead and froze alot of meals as I was super tired/sick most of my pregnancy. I think I must have left the meat sit out too long before I cooked it to make multiple dishes because my husband and I both got miserably sick. Food poisoning when you are 8 months pregnant and have a 1 year old was SOO bad. I ended up throwing out meals I had made with the 6 pounds of beef from the Costco size ground beef package I had used. I now know to divide the meat up right away and put into ziplock bags and put it back into the fridge until I’m ready to use it :)

Lindsay April 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I had braces for 3 years in highschool. They were awesome. I really enjoyed having them and tooth smiled when I had them. I am counting down until THURSDAY when I get released from the hospital! :)

Amanda April 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I’m counting down until the end of my master’s program – 5 more classes and then… 5 days and 6 nights in San Diego. Drove all the way to campus tonight just to find out class was cancelled… disappointing.

Just experience food poisoning for the first time last week. My husband and I were miserable. I will never eat kale again.

Kay April 24, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I never had braces, which I remind my mom of every once in a while to show her how much money my parents saved on dental work… Hahaha

Grecia April 24, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Those braces seem like they were worth it, you have perfect teeth and a great smile. I am counting down until my graduation in May, yay!

Leanne (Simplicitlee) April 24, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I looove starbursts, I just wish they weren’t individually wrapped so that I could get at them faster muhahaha!

Claire @ Let's Go On A Living Spree April 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm

We have our annual horse race, Foxfields, this weekend where everyone gets dressed up and drinks all day :-) Can’t wait!!!!!!

Brooke @ sweats & sweets April 24, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I had braces for 2 years, and never wore my retainer. My overbite came back, but my teeth are still straight. Wish I had worn that stupid thing!

Melissa @ Get Fit and Sweat Trying April 24, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Braces for one year, 38 school days until summer, I ate a Coney Island hamburger the night I got the flu/food poisoning…won’t touch one of those bad boys with a 10 foot pole!
Love the sister pic…love the dresses!

Lauren April 24, 2012 at 7:33 pm

That picture is hysterical. I had 3 years of braces, thank the lord. And countdown to big family vacay in Virginia beach in 58 days!

Robin April 24, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Ugh I got food poisoning after eating broccoli almost two months ago. It was one of my favorite foods and I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever be able to eat it again!

Love the pic of you and your sis!

Sarah April 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I absolutely love you for this comment:
10. One of my cute friends just got dumped and it breaks my heart. Break ups are the absolute worst and I am pretty sure I will be egging his car and putting a banana peel under his feet for him to slip on later today

beatrice April 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm

i’ve also tried biting fork off from yogurt:)

Jenn @ RunItMyWay April 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm

No braces for me ever, but I kind of wish I did now because all the braces people have such perfect teeth now and I don’t really like mine!! Plus I was secretly jealous of all the people who had braces when they were kids because it was awesome to have rainbow coloured elastics, and Christmas coloured elastics on them.. haha I guess the grass is always greener!

I have 2 dozen countdowns on the go at all times :) Life is better when there’s a countdown on the go, even if it’s just for Christmas (that’s one’s a perma-countdown that resets every Christmas for the next one!) Right now I’m counting down to going on vacation with my hunny and his awesome family (YAY!), running tomorrow with a guy who’s running across Canada (9 hours left!) and of course, the weekend :-D

I wish I had your aversion to Skittles.. it’s getting out of control. I ate a giant bag today for breakfast… If I ever stop running I will weigh 8,048 pounds.

Phyllin' Phat April 24, 2012 at 8:25 pm

It’s a sad, sad moment when you realize that all the pink starbursts are gone…but even sadder when all the pink and red ones are gone!

Rene April 24, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Braces for almost 2 years – as an adult. One of the best things I’ve done for myself – ever. Rylee had 2 sets of braces for 5 years, complete with headgear.
Countdown – 14 days until school is out, 20 days until mommy make-over commences, and 2 months until I hit the beach.
Randomness – my nursing lecture yesterday was over sex education. The instructor handed out “prizes”. Needless to say my husband was very excited about his grape flavored favor.

Bekah April 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Two weeks from today I move back to Austin! One week from today I hopefully can start running again! Time for sleep so I can wake up and be closer to both dates. :)

Sarah April 24, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Wow Janae! 7 years of braces- you deserve an award for that! I’m curious on what you actually had for treatment (just braces? headgear? surgery?)
I just took my Orthodontics final today… Yeah for last test of the semester!!!

I had braces for 11 wonderful months…. I’m weird and begged my parents for braces, Thank God they gave in!
Countdowns: 24 days til my 1st half marathon (yikes!), 394 days until I graduate from dental school (I’ve had this countdown for a year already!)

natalie@ southern fit foodie April 24, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Girl – I was like the poster child for the orthodontist office. Seriously. I had everything except head gear (I even had braces twice!). At one point, they installed some apparatus into my mouth and told me I was the first person in the state of Tennessee to use this certain torture device. I am so thankful now!

I am also counting down until school is out! Only 19 full days and then 3 half days (exams) and one in-service day (basically just a hang out day for us). Excited does not come close to describing my emotion!

Janeen April 24, 2012 at 9:28 pm

http://missdeneener.blogspot.com/2012/04/262.html Here’s a link to my marathon story if you have a few hours….ok, ok it will only take one and 1/2. (:

Andrea@pinkrunningkicks April 24, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Yes, I had braces with head gear. I also lost 2 retainers after braces were removed.
I too am counting down until school is out. Cant wait!

Courtney April 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Oh my. I had braces. I feel your pain. I was an adult when I had mine, though. Regardless of age, I had no shame and changed the rubber bands monthly to match whatever holiday or special event was going on that month. Example: red and green rubber bands for the month of December. I know. Barf.

Countdown to my first post-injury half: 12 days!!

Amy K April 24, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I saw the pic of your yogurt and wanted to ask you….have you ever tried Noosa greek yogurt? Absolutely, hands down, the very best yogurt out there! Sooo creamy and delightful. Makes me think I’m eating some kind of fancy treat! You gotta try it!

michelle kim April 24, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Braces! But lost my retainers :(
Still pretty straight though!

Charissa April 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Haha, love the reenactment of the picture of you and your sister! That’s awesome!

Meg April 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Love tangent tuesday! I had braces twice! in hs and then Invisalign in college… ya that was hot hahaha
In middle school i got sick off of scrambled eggs and still can’t eat them
right now I have a countdown to grad and when the bf comes and visits!!!!! yayayay
tangent from today: I submitted my masters project and had a water fight with ma boys (the ones I nanny for!)

Khushboo April 24, 2012 at 10:54 pm

You don’t like the red Starburst??? I’m with you on yellow but I loveee the red! Your tangent posts are my favorite- always feel like I am having a convo with you :)! I am going away on holiday tomorrow evening to Singapore to visit my bff and then China to visit my sister and her hubby so the countdown is ON! Have a great day!

Monica April 24, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I had braces for two years and while it was miserable I am so grateful to my parents for getting braces for me. I don’t know how you survived 7 years of orthodontics. Sheesh!
I am counting down to my first half marathon (53 days!) I won free entry to the See Jane Run 1/2 thanks to you. You linked to the giveaway on your blog last week. So, thank you!
As for aversions, I can’t stand the taste of ginger ale anymore. I drank it so much when I was pregnant with my first daughter. I had a desk job and I was sick all day and all I could do for 3 months was sip that stuff and try not to throw up on people. It makes me super sad for you that you can’t eat Skittles anymore.

Cait the Arty Runnerchick April 24, 2012 at 11:39 pm

u and ur sis are way too cute and grew up to be way too gorgeous!! :) oh my gosh, i had not just the braces but rocked the head gear too…i even had these HUGE metal springs put into both sides that connected the top and bottom because i wasn’t wearing the rubber-bands they wanted me to…i was a HOT mess.

i love ur randoms, but i’m sorta glad u didn’t post the donut shots cuz it would only brought on my cravings. :_

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More April 25, 2012 at 12:16 am

No braces for me. I lucked out!

I am looking forward to a trip home in August. I need to buy my plane ticket soon so I can start the official countdown.

Sierra April 25, 2012 at 12:42 am

I had braces early (Thanks Mom and Dad!). I got them on in the third grad and got them off the first month of sixth grade (Middle school). People were getting theirs on and I was over the moon to be done with the process.

I got food poisoning from shellfish at a certain VERY expensive restaurant and cannot go back. I can eat shellfish….but not from that restaurant.

Countdown until we go away for the weekend…just today and tomorrow morning…I guess I’m counting down the hours.

Catherine April 25, 2012 at 1:28 am

38 days until my wedding…. EEEK!!!

Janae April 25, 2012 at 9:54 am

AHHHH That is beyond exciting. I better get to see some pictures:)

Catherine April 25, 2012 at 11:13 am

I will…. all the way from the UK!!!

Catherine April 25, 2012 at 1:28 am

38 days until my wedding EEEEK!!!

Kari @ Running Ricig April 25, 2012 at 5:57 am

Those pictures of you and your sister crack me up! I wish I could recreate some of our ridiculous pictures, but I don’t think we own those clothes anymore.

I definitely had braces, but because I didn’t wear my retainer, my teeth are back to what they used to be.

I have more pictures on my phone of my dog than of people, so don’t worry about it :).

Jen April 25, 2012 at 6:43 am

I had braces 4 different times starting in 3rd grade (also when I got glasses) through my junior year of college. Yes…this was a 13 year span, with about 8 of them with braces.

11 days until my 1st marathon!!!
59 days until my wedding!!!

Janae April 25, 2012 at 9:53 am

AHHH so many exciting things going on in your life soon! PLEASE let me know how your 1st marathon goes!

Jen April 26, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I’m starting to get nervous about the marathon…but my fiance and his friends are running the marathon relay so I know I’ll have some support out on the course!

Kelly @ Running Kellometers April 25, 2012 at 7:30 am

I wore braces for 10 years! (including headgear at night, rubberbands, and a weird appliance too)… I got them off the week of prom and was the happiest senior on the planet. HAHA.

The only Starburst flavor I don’t like are the pink ones. We would be the perfect Starburst pair! Haha

I love that recreated photo of you and your sister. I think I need to get together with my brothers and re-create an old family photo. Except, my mom is the opposite of a pack-rat and we have no clothing left from our childhood–NOTHING. I guess that means a trip to the thrift store is required. HAHA :)

Jan J April 25, 2012 at 8:26 am

Are you sure you want to be hearing all these ways people get sick? :) I can’t stand pasta salad with vinegar-type dressing on it. When I was college I ate some (some sort of chef boyardee ready-made stuff), and got REALLY sick from it. Ever since I can’t stand those types of salads, which is bad for my dh, because they’re his favorite.

Lora @ Crazy Running Girl April 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I love lying on the floor too… sometimes it just feels so comfortable.

Adrianna April 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

only 2.5 weeks of work, then a move and new job in June! scary and exciting :)
in grade school, we built houses out of toothpicks and marshmallows, and I ate so many of those tiny things, I still can’t get near them…but oddly enough can still eat regular size marshmallows?!