Limitless and A Classy Dinner

December 13, 2011

Since Billy deserted me and decided to take a scheduled final instead of hanging out with me after school, I went for froyo with my homies.

Photo 12

Rachelle, Julia and Amylee!  I wish I could say that I ratted my hair yesterday but no, it had a mind of its own and there was no taming the beehive.

I am still kicking myself for only getting ONE blackberry.  I wasn’t sure if it the blackberries would be good so I played it safe and just got one.  It was perfect.  Why aren’t froyo shops open at midnight as I am typing this so that I could go back for more?  I guess I could go buy them at the store but that wouldn’t be nearly as fun.

Photo 13

Amylee’s cutest daughter:

Photo 11 copy

Don’t you hate it when kids are better dressers than you are? I was coveting that jacket of hers the whole time.

Billy got home a few minutes earlier than I did and when I got home I had a ridiculous amount of energy and a craving for french bread.  I let him choose whether he wanted to go on a walk in the cold or go to the store with me to get out some of my energy.  He said a walk and then I told him he made the wrong decision.

Really classy:  Bread, sauce, cheese, italian seasoning, oven, dip into even more sauce, eat.  I think the best part of my blog is the beautiful backgrounds and cleanliness that I display in the backgrounds of my food photos.

We watched Limitless and we both really liked it.  It was weird, super intense and the first movie in 2 years that I watched at nighttime and didn’t fall asleep.

————————————————————

Anyone else taking finals now?  When you were in college, what was your hardest final?

-Calculus.  I had to sleep for 16 hours straight after the test for my brain to recover.

Any good movie recommendations for me?  Now that it is cold, there is nothing better than watching a good movie at night under 12 blankets.

What is the simplest dinner you make (cereal and toast don’t count for this question)?  I am thinking 3-4 ingredient recipes that I can steal from you.

ashley December 13, 2011 at 5:49 am

Calculus was awful. I have a physical chemistry (think physics, calculus, and chemistry put together) lab final today, and a biochemistry final. I will be surprised if I survive lol.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:43 am

Ashley,
That physical chemistry class sounds like the hardest thing ever. AND biochemistry….GOOD LUCK, you can do this. It is almost Christmas break wahoo!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) December 13, 2011 at 5:51 am

My classy dinner = spaghetti noodles, sauce, cheese and turkey pepperoni mixed in. Takes all of 7-9 minutes. :)

Praise God I haven’t had finals since 2005 (when I graduated college) and 2006 (grad school)!! I am not sure I could handle such intense tests today.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

Brittnie,your classy dinner sounds so good and it is SO FAST!! I don’t think I could handle the tests either…I just enjoy giving the tests now;)

Khushboo December 13, 2011 at 5:55 am

Simple maybe but your dinner looks AMAZING….bread, marinara sauce, cheese–> what more does a girl want! Call me borrow but baked beans on a sweet potato with a side of broccoli is always a win for me! Top it with grated cheese and there ya go: no more than 4 ingredients :)!

Khushboo December 13, 2011 at 5:55 am

*boring not borrow…it’s the end of my work day :P

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

That is not boring, that sounds so so good and packed with nutrients!

Sabrina December 13, 2011 at 6:02 am

I hated all my math finals, I’ve rather fail then take a math final!

My easy, fun dinner is to make chicken fingers. Buy chicken cutlets, lightly bread them, bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until golden & crispy. Then have fun dipping in your favorite sauces!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

Sabrina, thanks for the chicken fingers idea…that sounds SO SO GOOD!

Brittany December 13, 2011 at 6:09 am

Ziti bake. Boil half a jar of pasta. Mix it with half a jar of sauce, and a 3/4 cup of shredded mozz. cheese. Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes with foil..Uncover..toss on 1/2 cup of cheese and bake for 10 minutes..

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:45 am

Brittany, you are brilliant. I always order ziti bakes at restaurants and they are so easy to make at home….done and done!

Amy December 13, 2011 at 10:04 am

Add Italian sweet sausage (or shrimp, chicken…) and it’s even yummier, but still quick & easy!

Jina December 13, 2011 at 6:13 am

I liked Limitless, too. You’re right — it is intense!

My easy dinner is rice, black beans, jalapenos, salsa, tomatoes, cheese (or whatever else or whatever less you want to add).

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:45 am

That sounds so good Jina and I love meals that you can add whatever you want or have on hand. Have an amazing day Jina!

Nicole December 13, 2011 at 6:22 am

I don’t have too many movie recommendations except that you could skip Super 8. I thought it was boring.

Google Mini-Frittata’s. You can make them in a cupcake pan and add-in whatever you have around the house. Very simple when you pair it with some turkey sausage or bacon. I love breakfast for dinner.

The Kidless Kronicles

Jenny December 13, 2011 at 6:24 am

I thought I was finished with finals, but I’m a big dummy that thought it would be awesome to go back to school at 30 (it actually is awesome, but this week I’m questioning my motivations)! I have my clinical evaluation this morning and then 4 nursing finals over the next 3 days…. I think my brain might actually explode if I cram anymore information in it!
My easy dinner is called “kitchen sink soup” and you take all the leftovers in your fridge, add a quart of chicken broth and copious amounts of garlic and oregano and let simmer for 20 minutes. It almost always is edible–haha!
Have an awesome day, Janae, and good luck on all your finals, Billy!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:46 am

Jenny, that is so awesome that you went back to school..you are my hero. How did your evaluation go? GOOD LUCK on your 4 finals in 3 days…WOW! That soup sounds so good, thank you! Garlic makes everything delicious!

Jenny December 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

My evaluation went pretty well, but I wasn’t too worried about that. My patients this past semester loved me because I am calm and always gave them back rubs–the perk of having a nursing student that has been a massage therapist for the past 7 years! The big exam that EVERYONE is freaking out about is a cumulative Med-Surg lecture test on Friday. Please tell me you’re not the kind of teacher that gives cumulative exams at the end of the year…cuz that’s just mean ;) Just kidding…I know it’s important to test retention, but it totally blows to study for. When does your HS semester end? How many weeks to you get off for vacation? We get 3–yippee!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm

That is so cool that you are a massage therapist too. Congrats on the evaluation and GOOD LUCK TOMORROW. Definitely don’t do cumulative tests…EVER. We end on Friday and we get two weeks off. You deserve the three weeks off though!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 13, 2011 at 6:25 am

I am still in final mode! Two more to go!! Haha simpliest meal for me? Egg, toast and salsa- Classic egg in a hole :D

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:47 am

Lauren…..good luck, good luck…you are almost to Christmas break.

Maria @ runningcupcake December 13, 2011 at 6:40 am

How about beans on toast? You can add grated cheese to be fancy.
Or get some tomato soup, add a chopped pepper and a tin of kidney beans and heat up, then serve on a baked sweet potato. Yum. And only 4 things needed :)

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:47 am

Maria, you are brilliant…toast is one of my favorite meals and making into a meal sounds so good. THe tomato soup idea…yum and so healthy!

theAlmostRunner December 13, 2011 at 6:46 am

I watched Limitless a while ago and LOVED it. Like you said, one of the only movies I can watch at nighttime and not fall asleep.

Luv What You Do December 13, 2011 at 6:50 am

My boyfriend is waist deep in first semester law finals, so I feel like I am back in school! I think he has studied more in these 3 weeks than he did in all 4 years of college, but who can remember…when college seems so long ago : )

I recommend Tangled for a movie and TJ’s stirfy is my easy go to. Frozen Hodge Podge mix mets frozen shrimp (or chicken or beef) and tossed with Soy Vey Teryiaki. Delish and SO EASY!

Kelly S. December 13, 2011 at 6:51 am

Hi !!!!

The two movies I’ve loved lately are:

1. The Debt (great movie!!!!!!!)

2. The Lincoln Lawyer (great!!)

Movies usually bore me to death, so I’m very happy when I find a great one. I also loved The Help of course.

Easy dinner- Tuna Noodles, Lasagna Cups (make sauce, push biscuit dough into a muffin tin, make a little bowl out of each one, scoop sauce into it, spoon a little ricotta cheese on top and moz. cheese and bake) YUMMO !!!!

Kelly in Michigan

Kelly @ Running (Kell)ometers December 13, 2011 at 7:41 am

Those lasagna cups sound so good… might have to steal the idea!!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:48 am

Kelly!!! Thank you so much for the recommendations…I can’t wait to rent them. The Help was SO SO GOOD. Lasagna cups…that is making me drool!

Kelly S. December 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Hey girls,

Use the can biscuits, be sure to spray the muffin pan first, then push one biscuit in each muffin cup, make a little bowl out of it using your fingers. Scoop a spoonful of the lasagna (spaghetti) sauce in each cup, add one spoonful of ricotta cheese and top with shred cheese. Then bake according to the biscuit can directions. (I wanted to be more specific on the recipe.) :) Really good!!!! Hope you enjoy them.

Corey @ Learning Patience December 13, 2011 at 7:03 am

Margin call – Excellent movie – we just rented it on itunes this week – SO good!

That pizza bread looks yummy….and thanks for the laugh on your photo caption…you crack me up.
xoxo from Trinidad

Heather@Just a Colorado Gal December 13, 2011 at 7:09 am

Ugh, I’m on finals week now for grad school and it’s no bueno. Luckily, I have no tests, just papers, but I’m a procrastinater so I have looooooots of work to do in the next 6 days!!!

Polenta casserole is easy! Dump chopped polenta in a casserole dish and then cover it with any sauted veggies you have, topped with cheese. Stick it in the oven till it’s all toasty warm. Yummy!

RunningISMyDiet December 13, 2011 at 7:39 am

Yummy heather!! I LOVE polenta!

Andrea @ AndreainTraining December 13, 2011 at 7:10 am

Not a movie, but I highly recommend the “Sherlock” miniseries (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004132HZS) if you like dramas. Basically, it’s Sherlock Holmes set in modern times (complete with blogs, instead of diaries!) and it’s extremely well-written and full of sarcasm and wit. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it! If you do give it a try, it’s 3 “episodes” that are movie-length, so be prepared to lose a few hours, since it’s hard to stop watching after just one! :)

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled December 13, 2011 at 7:14 am

I liked Limitless too, but I’m a big Bradley Cooper fan so he can do no wrong.

My go-to dinner is usually breakfast or a baked potato with turkey chili. Quick, filling, and so good.

Josie @ happycorredora.com December 13, 2011 at 7:19 am

I come to this blog for lovely froyo pictures… yum ;)

Here’s my healthy yummy standby: spaghetti, mince, sauce and frozen vegies. (bonus points for parmasan cheese!)

Tabaitha December 13, 2011 at 7:20 am

Oh how I don’t miss final days. To be honest I can’t remember which one was the hardest, I just dreaded them all. We have Limitless, but haven’t watch it yet. I was going to have Adam watch it on his own, but now I’m curious and hope I like it. I haven’t watched any new movies lately, but one of my favorite Christmas time movies is The Family Stone. It warms my heart and I love the big family vibe.

Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner December 13, 2011 at 7:22 am

I actually loved calculus…..but I do remember having a really tough final for that class. I think my final for biochemistry was prob the most difficult.

OMG I LOVE LIMITLESS!!!

It is well know that I ALWAYS fall asleep during movies, but I actually really really enjoyed that movie and it captured my attention big time.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 13, 2011 at 7:25 am

chicken fingers tossed in honey, dijon mustard, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper served with salad and tater tots. MUST HAVE ZE TOTS.

I suggest watching nothing but Yo Gabba Gabba just to see how long you can go without stabbing yourself in the eye.

Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee December 13, 2011 at 7:26 am

Quick and easy: Baked potato with butter, cheese, and sour cream. And more butter. I’ll also do a fried egg salad. Just throw one on top of some argula with some tomatoes. Super fast and tasty. I also like brown rice, beans, cheese, and salsa. But I’d take your pizza bread any day. Yum!

I havent watched any new movies since I got my 8 harry potter dvds. I keep watching them over and over.

Worst final ever: Comm Law in undergrad was rough but my Comm Research final in Grad School might be the worst test I’ve ever taken, by far. Our teacher didnt explain anything to us so the entire class was lost through the entire semester. I studied for two weeks for the final but it didnt help. I got to the last question, didnt know the answer, and wrote a ginormous smiley face instead.
Yeah, my professor did not appreciate that one.

Christina December 13, 2011 at 7:31 am

In a crockpot-chicken breast, salsa, black beans. Cook on low for 6 hours. The chicken doesn’t even need to be defrosted. when its done, it shreds really easily. Sometimes I’ll add rice at the end. Another crockpot dish-pork and bbq sauce. In 6 hrs you have pulled pork! The only thing is remembering to put all the stuff in there in the morning and not forget until its almost dinnertime.

Have you seen Tangled? It is hilarious.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 8:28 am

BRILLIANT CHRISTINA!! Both recipes sounds so good and they are both something that Billy and I would both loved. Tangled is one of my absolute favorite.

Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 13, 2011 at 7:32 am

I’m not taking finals, but probably the hardest one I ever took was Constitutional Law – but I looooved that class. I’m a huge nerd.

Hmmm… have you seen Inception? That’s a fan favorite of mine. We just saw The Adjustment Bureau, and it was okay, not great though.

Check out the Spaghetti Squash Lasagna recipe http://www.the-purple-giraffe.com/2011/11/what-i-ate-wednesday.html that I’m obsessed with. I’m making it for dinner tonight with some cheesy garlic bread!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 8:27 am

OH MY…that lasagna looks amazing, I need to make it. Constitutional Law…the name is even too smart for me. I LOVE Inception!

Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 13, 2011 at 8:28 am

Seriously, the lasagna is my latest obsession. I add a layer of ground turkey and it is to diiiie for.

Britt @ runwithbritt December 13, 2011 at 7:33 am

I have my anatomy final in four hours. Yuck. I’m going a big cup of sugary coffee will wake me up. :) my hardest final ever was for physics. I left crying, it was that brutal lol.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 8:26 am

AHHH 3 more hours until your final. GOOD LUCK!! You are going to rock that anatomy final!

CatieB December 13, 2011 at 7:37 am

Froyo! Yum. I haven’t had it since you were in New York! How horrible is that?!

I make pasta all the time… With just olive oil, salt and pepper, and cheese… That’s my go to meal when I’m lazy.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 8:26 am

Catie…you need to change that asap. I totally forgot to email you back but I think you should fly into SLC. I need to talk to my boss to get it off but I am 99% in!

CatieB December 13, 2011 at 8:40 am

Yes!!! I’m so happy you’re 99% sure!!
What day would you be taking off work? Friday or Monday?? My fingers are crossed!

Molly@ThisLifeIsSparkling December 13, 2011 at 7:40 am

I had one final this morning (interior design) and I have my math one tomorrow. Not looking forward to it :(

Kelly @ Running (Kell)ometers December 13, 2011 at 7:48 am

I wish I had one of these froyo places in my town! The yogurt-by-weight craze hasn’t yet hit my suburb, or any local suburb for that matter. Once one does open, it will simultaneously be the best and worst day of my life!!! Soooo jealous!!

Laura December 13, 2011 at 7:51 am

Yummy froyo! Our go-to simple meals are eggs/omelets, veggie quesadillas, or bean tacos. You can make them all as simple or fancy as you want. :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 13, 2011 at 7:52 am

I’m in the middle of law school finals. I WISH I could sleep 16 hours after them, but I have to study for the next!

Theresa December 13, 2011 at 8:04 am

i havent watched limitless yet but it’s def on my to-do list :) i watch so many movies (ones i have on DVD, ones on TV, going to the movies) and yet i cant think of anything to recommend to you…how lame is that? i havent been watching too many oscar worthy movies lately, if that makes you feel better (the muppets, hangover 2, breaking dawn)

ahhh finals, its been years since college so i’m wracking my brain thinking about what my hardest one was…anything math related to be honest bc i’m seriously lacking in that dept.

simplest dinners i make…hmm. one of me and kevs favorite easy go to one is cap’n crunch chicken with a baked sweet potato on the side. so easy and so cheap :)

natalie @ southern fit foodie December 13, 2011 at 8:06 am

I’m giving midterms to my students this week. It is SO much easier to GIVE exams than it was to take them haha. In college, my hardest final was probably kinesiology or statistics. I think those were harder than my finals in my masters program.

Easy dinner (not healthy, but very tasty) – crack bread. Take a loaf (round or square or whatever), and slice almost all the way to the bottom going both ways (so you have little pieces sticking up every which way), stuff some cheese down in the crevices along with bacon pieces, pour melted butter mixed with ranch seasoning all over it, and bake. It’s so so so good. You could also do a pizza version instead of the cheddar bacon ranch.

Donna Porter December 13, 2011 at 8:19 am

Finals are killing me!!!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 8:25 am

DONNA!!! I am so so sorry!! Good luck. When is your last final?

Coco December 13, 2011 at 8:22 am

I’m not gonna lie… your dinner looks great to me! I had a bowl of broccoli with some cheese one top for dinner.. so you got me beat!

Kate @ Chasing It December 13, 2011 at 8:23 am

ONE blackberry?!? who DOES that?? lol jk at least you made up for it with those pink ball things! And yeah that little girl dresses better than me too…I wish I had a jacket that cute!! I actually love that dinner idea – it’s like pizza but on crusty fluffy french bread so you get the best of both worlds! my lazy dinner is usually a scrambled egg mess: eggs, cheese, veggies of your choice, and toast on the side. Hope Billy did well on his final!!!! My hardest one was Biochemistry…i wanted to cry the whole time haha.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 13, 2011 at 8:23 am

I really liked that movie! We saw it this summer in the $3 theater. Anything with Bradley Cooper usually keeps my attention just fine, but that was a really interesting storyline and concept.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 8:25 am

Agreed….when Billy told me about the movie he said, ‘bradley cooper is in it so you will like it no matter what.’ Have an amazing day gorgeous Gina!

Hikermom December 13, 2011 at 8:26 am

My hardest final way back in college was Astronomy. I thought I would love the class but for me it was soooo hard. Have you seen “Nights in Rodanthe”? It’s a great chick flick! Also “The Game” starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn (from 1997). So awesome and something your man would like too!

Kaelin December 13, 2011 at 8:27 am

My fake out fancy dinner = frozen chicken strips, browned in big sautee pan, add any veggies to pan a couple of minutes after chicken has started cooking (broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, snow peas, onions….), add any kind of sauce (peanut thai is my fav), steam until veggies are soft and chicken is cooked. Serve with a grain, quinoa or brown rice. YUM!!!

Emily@RunningPerspective December 13, 2011 at 8:30 am

um your hair looks so cute i love how you dont think it does!!!
and I LOVE LIMITLESSS!!! sucha good movie!!!! um i wish i had other movies to recommend to you but i am stuck in the same old movies and need some new ones too!!<3

Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run December 13, 2011 at 8:33 am

Last night I made chicken thigh, potatoes and carrots in the crock pot. Chuck in some chicken broth, white wine and garlic and turn that bad boy on! I liked it, the kids ate it. And I HATE cooking.

Sheanna December 13, 2011 at 9:05 am

HA! I just gave her a recipe for my version of crock pot chicken! I’m totally stealing yours too, by the way!

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement December 13, 2011 at 8:35 am

My husband is also studying for an exam, so I am left to my own to keep myself entertained. Since our apartment in NYC is about the size of a shoebox, I “clean” the apartment for about 5 mins in the morning, do “dishes” of two cereal bowls and a coffee mug, and then drop off the laundry and my wife duties are complete and I have the rest of the day to do what I please. I would like to come back in my next wife as a Manhattan housewife.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:40 am

Sierra, tell your husband GOOD LUCK. Maybe I should fly out and hang out with you in NYC, my favorite city ever!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life December 13, 2011 at 8:36 am

I have been wondering if Limitless was any good. Of course, Bradley Cooper is always nice to look at!

That’s a great french bread “idea”! Cravin’ carbs now….

Rachel December 13, 2011 at 8:38 am

Go to lazy meal: Scrambled eggs with chopped up ham, potatoes and cheese! Roll it up in a tortilla and dip in a disgusting amount of ketchup :)

Also I just watched It’s a Wonderful Life and it was the perfect Christmassy movie to watch under 12 blankets with a giant mug of apple cider…if you’re in the mood for something festive!! Or just procrastinating studying for scary nursing final exams like I was ha.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 8:43 am

Your egg tortilla sounds incredible and the more ketchup the better. Good luck on your finals, you are going to rock them. Now I am craving blankets and apple cider:)

Dawn December 13, 2011 at 8:51 am

I think your hair looks cute. I’ve been doing the “wild and untamed look lately…maybe it was just easier with everything I had going on.

I finished my finals last week…now I’m trying to decide if I should take the spring off.

I’m going to leave you with a link for tuna soup I like to make…you don’t have to add the rice in it and its still good. Let me know what you think.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thanks Dawn, you are so sweet. CONGRATS on finishing your finals. Take spring off…you deserve. AHHH Thank you so much for the tuna soup link! We always have extra rice made too that we could just throw in. THANK YOU!

Rosalie December 13, 2011 at 8:52 am

My easy dinner:
Heat pan, add oil, add assortment of veggies (super easy method: just use (previously microwaved) frozen mixed veggies!), let them cook, add salsa and chili powder, let the liquid evaporate a bit, then hollow out the middle of the pan and crack in two eggs, cover, and let them steam. Then you’ve got a bowlful of spicy vegetable deliciousness + two runny yolk eggs :D
Also works well using, in lieu of salsa, like, any other sauce. E.g. Moroccan tagine sauce, marinara, what have you.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

Rosalie. That sounds so so good. WOW. My favorite things in one meal, SPICY, veggies and eggs. Thank you so much!

Ann December 13, 2011 at 8:52 am

So so SOOOOO jealous of your Fro-Yo date.

Julia December 13, 2011 at 8:59 am

I took a final yesterday in Quantitative Chemical Analysis that fried my brain. It was early in the morning, so even though I got home around 9:30am, I accomplished nothing yesterday but watching two seasons of grey’s anatomy.
Luckily, I don’t have another final until tomorrow.

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

WOWOWOWO…Julia, that sounds so hard. How do you do it all? Congrats on the two seasons of Grey’s…that show is so good. Good luck on your final tomorrow!

Camilla December 13, 2011 at 9:00 am

I just survived the first semester of my Ph.D. program…including my ridiculous 700-level stats class. BAH! I haven’t gotten my final grade from that class yet, but I will tell you I rocked a 75-page final paper. One semester down, 5-ish to go!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:35 am

CAMILLA!! You are incredible….700-level classes. WOW!! Congrats on your final paper, you are my hero!

Camilla December 13, 2011 at 10:04 am

Ah! Thanks! P.S., I just love reading your blog; it is exactly what I need to turn my stats-induced frown upside down!

Sheanna December 13, 2011 at 9:03 am

Crock Pot Chicken! Chicken thighs, 2 cans stewed tomatoes, 1/2 can chicken broth, wrocestshire sauce and an onion if you wish…Mix it all together in the crock pot, set it and forget it until you get home from work. Dinner is DONE!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:34 am

SHEANNA!! Thank you so so much. That sounds so so good. YUM, I can’t wait!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 13, 2011 at 9:05 am

I loved limitless! Pretty intense. I’ve been into the Christmas movies lately. I love the grinch, it’s my favorite.
I’m done with finals thank goodness. My statistics final was my easiest. I think the hardest ever for me was macro or sociology (weird). I don’t know why I thought sociology was so hard, but it was to me.
I always make simple dinners! Grill some chicken, steam some veggies, and throw a sweet potato into the microwave and you’ve got yourself an easy, balanced meal.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 13, 2011 at 9:13 am

I didn’t love Limitless. It was too gory for my taste. But an inteesting story line nonetheless.

I <3 Yogurtland!!!!

My hardest final was Nutrition Metabolism. It was a KILLER class and the hardest final of my undergrad AND graduate years.

Erica December 13, 2011 at 9:16 am

You know how you roast your broccoli? I usually just roast brocolli, frozen corn, asperagus, zucchini, carrots, and red pepper. Put it ontop noodles and parm cheese. Of course add red sauce if you like or chicken breast if you or the hubby wants meat.

I like warm sandwiches for dinner in winter, and they can be so easy.

We like fried egg sandwiches as do you, but serving it up with a side of tator tots (kind of like hash browns) and roasted veggie.

I have rediscoved the joy of a great grilled cheese and soup side.

Tuna melts, BLT’s……classic.

Erica December 13, 2011 at 9:17 am

and I am reminding you to rent bad teacher. Worth a few laughs!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:34 am

Girl, you are my hero. Thank you so so much for the great ideas. I need to make a tuna melt now and that pasta….YUM!! Oh yeah, I will tell Billy to get it for us asap!! You are the best. Have a great day Erica!

Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs December 13, 2011 at 9:18 am

No finals for me! Although this reminded me I graduated three years ago this month. Yay!! My hardest final was most likely physics, I was a journalism major for a reason…

For easy dinners I LOVE EGGS. last week I had spinach, black beans, eggs, and enchillada sauce. And cheese. Amazing.

Brandi @ Fitness Faith and Laughter December 13, 2011 at 9:34 am

First let me say that I LOVE your blog! You always make me laugh…:)

I am taking some classes at a Seminary and my finals were last month and I thought I was going to have to resort to eating a whole roll of cookie dough just to get through it! Next class starts in January so I am just taking it easy right now….:)

As far as movies go I am loving Robin Hood right now. The one with Russell Crowe. I don’t think it did all that well in the theaters, but I like it.
Have a great day!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:42 am

Brandi, thank you so so much for your sweet words. I usually did eat the whole roll of cookie dough during finals. I am glad you are able to take it easy right now. I want to see that movie SO SO BAD…I know what I am doing tonight:) Have a great day Brandi!

natalie December 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

We make breakfast for dinner… way too often. :) We’ll also do a milshake and popcorn night… You never said it had to be healthy!

Haute Running Mama December 13, 2011 at 9:37 am

I was a journalism major so I only had to take 1 math class in college. THANK heavens because I HATE math. Ok, I don’t hate math I just dislike the amount of effort it takes. Calculus? Never had to take it. Whew!

Easy dinners? CROCKPOT meals! Magic happens in that little thing!!

Kelsey December 13, 2011 at 10:58 am

LOVE the crockpot. Nothing better than coming home from work and knowing your meal is ready!

Rachelle December 13, 2011 at 9:37 am

LOVED hanging out with you and catching up with you for a bit yesterday. You are just absolutely gorgeous, so nice and you always make me want to be a better person. Thank you so much for being such a great example to me and such a great friend.

P.S. I think the dinner looks delicious. I love pizza sauce and french bread, and brocolli. :)

Sarah December 13, 2011 at 9:39 am

Finals?! Yes! I have an english final in 2 hours.. blehh 2 more tests and then I’m on winter break!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 9:41 am

SARAH….good luck! You will rock your english final and before you know it, it will be time to relax!

Kelsey December 13, 2011 at 10:00 am

Whenever I don’t feel much like cooking, we always go for pizza. We buy some premade dough, load it with veggies and cheese and throw it in the oven. It’s delish and easy!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

Good call with getting the pre made dough..so easy and delicious!

Mamarunsbarefoot December 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

Hmm well in college I had to do presentations in front of real working architects.. talk about nerve wracking!!!!!!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

Yeah, that would have scared me to death!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 13, 2011 at 10:23 am

I just got out of a SUPER hard physiology final and have a nutrition final later this afternoon and then ANOTHER one on Friday! UGH!!! SO ready for this week to be over.

And simple dinners? (1) A sweet potato microwaved and covered with globs of greek yogurt or ricotta cheese. (2) French toastwiches–sandwich dipped in egg mixture and cooked in a pan. (3) Veggie broth with spinach/random stuff from the fridge/freezer and egg whisked with parmesean dropped into the simmering broth until cooked.

Julia @ Pain, Pride and Perseverance December 13, 2011 at 10:23 am

seeing you yesterday was the best thing everrrrr!!! omg. and i totally had a bad blackberry at y-land once and have been scared ever since. sad to know they were actually good yesterday :( amy’s daughter = the cutest ever. obsessed!

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! December 13, 2011 at 10:27 am

hey that actually looks delicious! and i love your plates.
my simple actually cooked dinner is fish that I just i just put a little olive oil in the pan and sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder and fry in the pan for like 2 mins each side (depending how thick the fish is) and then steam some veggies in the microwave and cook some cous cous or rice real quick while fish is cooking too! voila! home cooked meal.

Mandee Pearson December 13, 2011 at 10:30 am

I like cutting up a sweet potato, adding salt, pepper and a touch of olive oil and baking for like 15-20 or however soft/crispy you want it! Then I heat up a veggie burger or a pre-cooked Aidel’s sausage or something to go with it. YUM

Jean December 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

Speaking of calculus finals, I’ve got one next Monday! Probably should have taken that back in high school…

I’ve actually been doing exactly what the person above me does with sweet potatoes, although I usually pair it with cereal or eggs and whatever vegetables I can scrounge up. It goes together really well (not).

Janae December 13, 2011 at 10:53 am

Next Monday….BOOO!! Good luck and thanks for the sweet potatoes ideas!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row December 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

Cheese quesadillas are the easiest. I dip them into cottage cheese mixed with salsa! Yum!

Janae December 13, 2011 at 10:53 am

CC and salsa, you are so smart…that sounds amazing! Thanks Laurel!

Kelsey December 13, 2011 at 10:56 am

I always do quesadillas to! They are always tasty and super easy to make. And if you throw in a ton of veggies and use whole wheat tortillas you got yourself a healthy and delish meal!

Brit December 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

No finals for me! I think my worst one was Thermodynamics, oh how I hated that class. I haven’t seen a great movie lately. I will probably check out my local Red Box this weekend. My favorite barely-cook dinner, this probably sounds nasty to anyone else, a baked sweet potato topped with black beans, hummus, and bbq sauce. I promise that it is good in spite of how revolting it sounds. :-)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

I honestly think you should just open a Yogurtland.

Amy December 13, 2011 at 11:14 am

i HATED accounting…for some reason it was really tough for me.

btw, i cant wait to go home to arizona bc they have yogurtland!!! mmmm

Kristine @ Running On Hungry December 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

Seriously we are meant to be best friends. Homemade pizza in the oven is my FAVORITE dinner… and my boyfriend and I just watched Limitless and loooved it! I fall asleep within 10 minutes of any movie starting (except in theaters since I have problems falling asleep in public) and I stayed awake the entire time!

Pesto gnocchi is my easy and delicious go to meal! Combine olive oil, basil, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts in the food processor and boil the gnocchi for 3 minutes. Then stir together. SO easy!

Danica @ GirlsThatRun December 13, 2011 at 11:31 am

I DO NOT miss finals. I had a business computer class final on the last day of senior year. My final was at 7 PM and I got to the library to study at 8 AM and didn’t leave until test time. It was awful!

That pizza looks so good right now haha! My favorite simple dish to make is more of a side, but we toss broccoli with italian seasoning, bread crumbs, olive oil and parmesan cheese then put it in the oven til it gets a little crispy. So good!

Sarah December 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Last night’s dinner was insanely easy. Preheat oven to 400, put some enchilada sauce in the bottom of a pan, roll corn tortillas with refried beans in the middle, put rolled up bean tortillas in pan, cover with more sauce, bake, eat ;)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats December 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Your dinner reminds me of a school lunch we used to eat called “Italian Dunkers”. Basically it was a hot dog bun with melted cheese on it and a side of marinara for dipping. So simple yet so delicious. lol.

Losing Lindy December 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm

My fast and easy is making a hash.

Start with raw peeled potatoes, cubbed. Throw them in a non-stick pan, sprayed with Pam. Cook until about half way cooked, then throw in some onions/peppers (whatever you have on hand), cook until almost done and throw in an egg. Cook until egg is done.

I have also used meat (pork chop, chicken, etc). If you use meat, the meat gets cubbed too, and it is in the pan first (before potatoes) and cook it about half way done before the potatoes are added. If I add meat, I don’t add the egg.

Amy N. December 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Amylee’s daughter is freakn’ adorable. I need to betroth her to one of my boys. I’d love your curly haired niece for my other boy while I’m at it.

I have a whole cook book called 5 or less that was done by a bunch of home ec teachers that all the recipes only have 5 (or less) ingredients.

One of my favorites: Calzones
thawed Texas sized rhodes rolls (not risen)
meat of your choice, sauce of your choice, cheese of your choice, veggies of your choice
roll out the rolls and put the ingredients inside and close them up
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

I like to do Canadian bacon, mozzarella, pizza sauce and mushrooms or cooked chicken (I just use the canned stuff because it’s easier) broccoli, mozzarella and pesto sauce

Wendy December 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm

My go-to healthy dinner, rice/quinoa/lentil pilaf.
Frozen veggies + some sort of protein (tofu, tempeh, eggs if you eat meat, diced up chicken/beef would be great too)
If I feel indian that night: cumin + tumeric + cayenne + musturd seeds + oregno + garlic
If I feel Chinese: soy sauce + fish/oyster sauce + lots of ginger and garlic
Italian: diced up tomatoes + italian seasoning
~2-3 times amount of water to grains, simmer till water is absorbed

Easy, but still not quite easy as 5 bowls of cereals topped with lots and lots of roasted peanuts. This is my real go-to dinner :D

Jessica December 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I liked that movie too…I’m guessing if you saw my review on the People’s Sexiest Man issue, you knew that already. :)

Easy dinner for me is spaghetti. Love it and it is super fast, even if I want to add yummy stuff to the sauce.

I’m curious (since you’ve openly talked about your past food issues), have you ever been on a cruise? If so, how did you combat the food 24/7…read today’s post to see where I’m going with this. :) Laters!

Heather @ run eat play December 13, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Baked pasta! Noodles, sauce, cheese – throw in oven. Yum!

XLMIC December 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm

You did NOT just watch Limitless. No. Because I just watched. I wonder if we were watching it together on our separate sofas in our different states? LOL It was quite intense… I definitely agree.

Courtney December 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm

we just watched “The Help” and i totally caught the hubs tearing up!

my simplest dinner is two ingredients: pour candy on top of bowl of ice cream. all done! oh, wait, you meant “real” food? ok, put rice, pasta sauce, frozen turkey meatballs from trader joes, and mozarella/parmesan cheese in a glass dish and bake it until it’s hot and bubbly. OR throw tomatoes, beans, ground turkey, bunch of random spices (including cocoa powder) in the crockpot and turn it on until it looks like chilli ;)

Jessica December 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm

One of my proudest college moments was getting 100% on my calculus final…haha, can you say nerd? But I am SO glad to be done with those days and not have to worry about finals. I’m sure you will be happy when Billy is done as well!

Did you ever see The Adjustment Bureau? We really liked it, and Matt Damon is in it, so it’s a win in my book :) ..another Matt Damon movie we saw over the weekend is Contagion – kind of weird, but I enjoyed it.

Easy dinner we’ll do sometimes: boil some pasta, and warm-up some variety of Ragu – The cheese one is my fav, or the alfredo, or good-old spaghetti. Toss and add any veggies or meat, etc or eat plain!

Jessica December 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Oh! I just thought of another easy meal…cooked up some chopped chicken breast, add a few cups of salsa, a can of corn, a can of black beans, and the juice from 2-4 limes (or whatever you want). Good alone, over rice, in a tortilla, as a chip-dip, etc. We love it!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail December 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Easy dinner for me usually means and egg wrap with veggies. Oh, Finals…the students on WSU campus are taking theirs now and I do not miss mine. I had to bust my butt for an Organic Chem final. Horrible.

Movies: Bridesmaids (raunchy humor but hilarious), Water for Elephants (but I had to close my eyes at some scenes (animals make me cry)…

Amylee December 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Sadly, Annie is almost always dressed better than I am. I’ll have to check out that movie! BIGGEST LOSER FINALE IS TONIGHT!!!

Catherine December 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Pasta, butter(vegan), garlic salt, shredded cheese(optional)…this is my go to meal!!!! P.S. just made vegan cupcakes that taste like angel food….it’s on, be jealous ;-)

Corrie Anne December 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I just took the Praxis II today — does that count? Pretty sure I passed. A go-to dinner for me lately has been a baked potato with broccoli, plain greek yogurt (for sour cream), and whatever else is lying around.

THERE ARE SO MANY LITTLE GIRLS DRESSED SO AWESOME THIS TIME OF THE YEAR. Crazy jealous of all the sparkly skirts at church this week!

Ashlee December 14, 2011 at 10:02 am

I’m still dying for that tortilla soup recipe!!

Ashley December 14, 2011 at 10:21 am

My hardest final I took was biology….one. I loved biology in high school but college threw me for a loop and I didn’t understand a thing.

Movies: crazy. Stupid. Love. <—fantastic! The holiday (classic) The Help OR my all time favorite which drives my bf crazy is The Princess Bride. I always go back to being 9 years old and watching that movie for the first time.

Ps: I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can't stay awake 5 minutes into a movie. Phew!

Allison December 14, 2011 at 10:25 am

Simple gumbo: salsa + chicken sausage and shrimps + brown rice + bell peppers :D

natalie(thesweetslife) December 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm

simple dinner? our fave is sweet potato hash—chopped sweet potatoes cooked in the skillet with onions and bacon…then topped with over easy eggs. YUM!