You Gotta Try This:

November 26, 2011

Put every single Thanksgiving leftover in your fridge on top of a bed of lettuce and suddently stuffing and marshmallow salad become health foods.

Our day was everything I could of dreamed of.  I went to the gym at 7 for an hour of spinning/elliptical followed by 2 circuits of upper body lifting.  I came home to grandpa making biscuits and gravy (I wonder if I can make this for bfast daily before school because I am hooked) and we went on a long walk with the pup.  The rest of the day involved hanging out in the family room and nothing else.

Until one of the BIL’s went to cheer on his high school’s football team.  He just gets a little into it and yes those are tights that he is wearing.

(WARNING: don’t look at the next picture if you don’t like seeing gross injuries).

My other BIL’s best friend (that is always over hanging out with us) did this to his ankle while playing football with the boys Thanksgiving morning….

Photo 8

So, when we went to target and Trader Joe’s (had to restock before we go back to No TJ Land, Utah) today he had to use the scooter to get around, the hat was just an added bonus.

Photo 7

We are going to dinner tonight at ELEVEN PM and so I am writing this long before then because I don’t even know how I am going to stay up that late let alone try and write something somewhat readable past midnight.  We are trying to copy our summer late night extravaganza that I wrote about HERE!

What does a sugar-loving, on vacation so anything goes, girl fuel up on so she doesn’t eat Billy before her late dinner?

5 different desserts on one plate.  I think this is my new record which I will be striving to break tomorrow.

Better believe that is Macaulay Culkin in the background.  Home Alone never gets old.

——————————————————-

Ever sprained or broken your ankle?

Have you started watching any holiday movies?

-We have watched Home Alone and Elf today!

Did you go to your High School football games?

-Yep, for a full quarter until we got bored and went to Wendy’s instead.

Did you eat T-day leftovers yesterday?

Khushboo November 26, 2011 at 5:35 am

I went through a phase where I watched HOme Alone 2 reruns every single day for like a year after school- good times!

Lyn @ FueledBySalad November 26, 2011 at 5:43 am

On top of lettuce, EVERYTHING is a health food. (Well, almost.) True story.

Janae November 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I am glad you understand my definition of health food:) Have an amazing day Lyn!

Jessica K (@irun26at8) November 26, 2011 at 5:44 am

Oh my! I broke my wrist and it swelled up like that…it scared me to death!

We watched Elf and Miracle on 34th Street…so far. :-)

Janae November 26, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Your wrist did that….OUCH!!! I need to watch 34th Street, SO GOOD!

Kate @ Chasing It November 26, 2011 at 5:52 am

thanksgiving leftovers salad, I love it!! Dinner at 11pm….wow, props for staying up that late. I was in bed at ten lol. But the dessert plate is a total win!!

I’ve actually never seen the Home Alone movies! However, I did start the holiday movie fun by watching Love Actually yesterday – it’s my favorite! :-D

Jamie @ getalivingsense November 26, 2011 at 5:57 am

sounds like a PERFECT day! I’m so jealous of your dessert plate – I’m studying abroad right now, so I missed out on Thanksgiving and the awesome desserts! :P I have only watched Love Actually so far, but have been dying to watch Home Alone – good choice! :)

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Jamie, I need to send you some desserts while you are abroad. OH…Love Actually is SO good!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 26, 2011 at 6:06 am

Love Home Alone!! Ahah aww :)

Cheyenne November 26, 2011 at 6:10 am

Oh – Home Alone – my son loves these. Right after Halloween he said OK – time for christmas movies and all the Home Alone’s and Elf came out. They never get old…..

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm

That is so cute, and it is even more fun to watch these movies with kids. Have an amazing day Cheyenne!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 26, 2011 at 6:39 am

Haha I love the salad! We don’t have any leftovers since my cousins hosted thanksgiving, wishing I had some cranberry sauce and turkey right now!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 26, 2011 at 6:48 am

Fun day!! :) I definitely had leftovers yesterday … leftovers are the best! And I made Brandon watch “The Santa Clause” with Tim Allen the other day haha … he loves me. ;)

I had to go to our high school football games b/c I was a cheerleader. And then after every football game, we’d have a dance in the high school gym … then we’d walk to McDonald’s and hang out in the parking lot. Oh, the memories!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health November 26, 2011 at 6:51 am

Omg his ankle looks so bad!! I’ve never sprained mine or anything but over a month ago I dropped at 25-lb weight on mine at the gym and it still hurts if I press on it! LOVE your plate of dessert :D. Guess what?? I got engaged on Thanksgiving!!!! Hehe I’m so excited that I just have to tell everyone

Nicole November 26, 2011 at 7:05 am

I have never really sprained an ankle but I think I did my wrist once.
We watched ELF the other night, before we braved Walmart.
My high school didn’t have a football team.
The only leftovers I had yesterday were a piece of apple pie.

The Kidless Kronicles

Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner November 26, 2011 at 7:40 am

Ouch that ankle looks painful! And that hat is hilarious!

And you’re right…home alone NEVER gets old :)

RunEatRepeat November 26, 2011 at 7:49 am

I did the exact same thing with our leftovers :)

Chef Katelyn November 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

OH MY GOD can I just say first thing, duh salads make every thanksgiving deliciousness healthy. And second, his injury is so awful and painful looking, but it actually looks like really cool. Ahahaha clearrrrly I was thinking of being a doctor a long time ago!

Leonor @FoodFaithFitness November 26, 2011 at 8:38 am

Seriously, I don’t know how you stay so thin! I envy you. I haven’t watched anything yet as we’ve been on the go since Wednesday. Movies are on the agenda today. Especially after a 17 miler this morning. I ate leftovers and don’t think I ever will before a long run. My tummy prefers foods that aren’t loaded with butter and sugar before a run!

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Both my sis and I eat a lot of junk but I am sure it will catch up with us one day. GOOD JOB on your 17 miler…YOU ARE AMAZING!

Brooke @ sweats & sweets November 26, 2011 at 8:43 am

I’ve sprained my ankle plenty during my cheerleading years and extreme tumbling. But oh my word I can’t believe how swollen his is!

Erica November 26, 2011 at 8:46 am

We definitely had twinsie salads yesterday. Mine looked just like that. and all I really wanted for dinner last night was the pumpkin bar dessert, so I ate just enough “healthy foods” to balance out a piece the size of my face. Delish.

I was the pom pon girl dancing her heart out at the half time show, and I LOVED every minute of that. The actual games, not so much, but I was the typical boy crazy teenager so I liked the games cause that’s where everyone was at. I remember ending up at Denny’s for Mozz sticks fairly often.

Erica November 26, 2011 at 8:48 am

Oh, and watched Bad Teacher with Cameron Diaz last night. Have you seen it? There are a couple of parts every teacher would chuckle at regardless of the overall movie quality.

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I want to see that movie SO SO BAD!! A piece the size of your head….how I adore you! HAHA we would go to Denny’s or IHOP after the games too. Hope you are having an amazing weekend Erica!

Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) November 26, 2011 at 9:03 am

We’ve watched Elf so far. We were just saying last night that we wanted to watch Home Alone though. I had T-day leftovers for breakfast yesterday.

Britt @ Runwithbritt November 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

That is such a knarly ankle picture! I’m taking an athletic injuries class right now at school and we get to watch all sorts of crazy videos of people cracking skulls, breaking femurs, and all sorts of other fun injuries.
I totally watched Elf a few days ago while I ate Spiced Pumpkin Pecan Blue Bell ice cream. It was ahhh-mazing. :)

Shannon November 26, 2011 at 9:07 am

Does it count that the TV was on while Christmas movies were playing?

I had leftovers at work yesterday, but it was just the cool whip salad (which I refer to as “the pink stuff”…)… and will probably have some for my lunch today at work.

And I’ve never sprained/broken anything, but I did partially tear my Achilles’ tendon. It wasn’t nearly that swollen, but there was a little knot on it. Can’t really decide which was worse, though, the Achilles’ or runner’s knee… I’m thinking the knee because it’s been the one that’s been the most difficult to heal…

Julia @ The Bosky Blog November 26, 2011 at 9:08 am

I broke my left ankle when I was in 8th grade, fractured in two placed along the growth plate and now several years later I am discovering that it’s totally messed with my biomechanics and that I have weird tendon scarring.

I hope he takes time to heal and everything recovers!!

Elf is a year-round movie in my home :)

Went to an all girls high school, no football…really sad, but I did go to a lot of volleyball, so that counts right?

Uhm, yes yes I did. I ate all day thursday and all day yesterday.

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm

OUCH…that sounds incredibly painful Julia! I hope he does too….he has a hard time not being active. Volleyball totally counts!

Jessica November 26, 2011 at 9:56 am

Poor guy with that ankle…ouch! Love the hat though. :) Yeah, I had leftovers for lunch, then felt gross again. I didn’t overeat, it’s just the way mashed potatoes and gravy make you feel so…yuck. I watched Elf last night, or I should say I fell asleep to Elf. It’s so funny, but I was super tired after my hot date. ;)

runningtobeskinny.com

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Agreed…..gravy running through my veins doesn’t feel very good! Glad you had a hot date last night wahoo!

Ann November 26, 2011 at 10:08 am

Love, love, LOVE the thanksgiving leftovers. And it sounds like you are having a GREAT holiday weekend! Sending lots of love from Minnesota!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 26, 2011 at 10:09 am

Oh my gosh, his ankle!! Scary =O Hope he feels better.
I’ve sprained an ankle but never broken! I’m more of a sprained/broken wrist girl.
I saw Elf too on Thanksgiving!
I was a cheerleader so I had to go to every one! I actually when to my old schools football game last night too.
I had a turkey sandwich on thanksgiving night because we had thanksgiving lunch, but i didn’t have any yest!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 26, 2011 at 10:30 am

I’ve never sprained or broken my ankle, but my husband sprains his ankle all the time. He plays basketball a lot, and is doomed, I swear!

We haven’t started watching any holiday movies yet, but I can’t wait to watch Miracle on 34th Street and Home Alone!

Have a great rest of your weekend with family my dear! :)

stephanie November 26, 2011 at 11:08 am

i must say..youre a genius–i just posted about left over sweet potatoes on salad too!

i never go back to my HS football games, I barely stayed for the whole game when I was a student!

Jen November 26, 2011 at 11:12 am

Yes I had leftovers! You’re so lucky you have access to a gym when visiting family. I have no ability to cross train when I am home because my in laws can’t get good gym passes for us! So its me and the hills and a prayer that I don’t get injured.

Samantha November 26, 2011 at 11:24 am

I had the BEST turkey, cranberry, stuffing sandwich in town. It was HUGE but so so so delicious :)

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

That sandwich sounds amazing…I must replicate it!

Meg @ My Chocolate Covered Life November 26, 2011 at 11:37 am

Home Alone love!! Will you believe that my friend has lived in that house all her life, including during the filming process?? Sadly her parents put it on the market this summer because it was too big for their needs. But I feel a special obligation to watch Home Alone at least twice each year since it was filmed in my hometown. And because it’s an AWESOME film!

Also, in breakfast news, I have turned into my grandfather and am obsessed with Grape Nuts – have you ever tried? Don’t be scared by the lack of sugar. After they sit in milk for a minute or two, they are heavenly.

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Seriously, Meg…that is the coolest thing ever. I feel like I have that whole house memorized, SO SO COOL. I haven’t had Grape Nuts in FOREVER, I must go buy!

Katie @ Livehalffull November 26, 2011 at 11:39 am

That salad looks amazing!!!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes November 26, 2011 at 11:55 am

yesterday, my family got together to put up the christmas tree and have lunch.

we watched the santa clause, the grinch (cartoon, obviously), and the simpsons christmas episode (possibly from 1989). perfect. and i feasted on cappuccino, homemade bread, green bean casserole, and pies! (but throughout the day, not all on one plate, sadly.)

Emily November 26, 2011 at 12:02 pm

-I have broken my ankle {dancing, back in high school}…not fun!
-I LOVE Christmas movies, especially National Lampoons Christmas Vacation…haven’t watched it yet, but I probably will in the next couple days. I did watch Four Christmases last week.
-I went to my high school football games, mainly to talk to friends. Maybe a little bit of football.
-Thanksgiving leftovers are the best! And I totally agree that putting it on a salad makes it healthier!

Just started reading your blog a few weeks ago! Love it!

Emily

Brittany November 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Home Alone and Santa Clause with Tim Allen are classics. Christmas with the Kranks is a winner. A big fan of Ill be Home for Christmas with Jessica Biehl at her start. New favorite is Eloise at the Plaza..just saw it for the first time last week really cute..

Not a leftover girl unless its cold macaroni and cheese. Even birthday cake ill eat it for that day then freeze it to bring it out in a month when I want it randomlyyy. Makess it a novelty rather than a defaulllt for me because its just there. Do you guys fight over who gets the last piece of pieee or the biggest piece of turkey! It seems like you’re battles get pretty intense there..I guess rock paper scissors would be a safer bet after seeing that picture of his ankle.

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I forgot about Santa Clause, I need to watch that and I’ll be Home for Christmas..thanks for the recommendations. We fight over food all the time ha. Cold mac and cheese is amazing!

Jina November 26, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love Home Alone … still!

I sprained my ankle almost three years ago playing softball. It still bothers me. Definitely the worst injury I’ve ever had.

Katie November 26, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Okay, now I really need to watch Home Alone. :D

Alyssa November 26, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I know you gave a warning, but that picture really upset me.

Elf is my favorite holiday movie ever! I watch it every year while wrapping gifts.

Nope, never went to a game…now I’m spending Thanksgiving in the midwest where football is like a religion, and everyone is watching nonstop.

Pretty much every meal was T-day leftovers yesterday. No cooking is awesome.

Good luck staying up tonight!

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Sorry about that Alyssa! Elf is INCREDIBLE and how fun that you watch that while wrapping presents! Hope you are enjoying some incredible leftovers and having a great weekend!

Dawn November 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Ouch…Ouch and double Ouch! I know that had to hurt!

I have started watching Christmas movies Home Alone was playing at the gym yesterday so I watched that during cardio. I have my Christmas playlist set up on my iPod now also…I’m ready for the holidays!

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Good idea to set up a Christmas playlist, I just got a Christmas ring tone ha! Hope you are having an amazing weekend Dawn!

Jan J November 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm

No, thankfully in all my years of sports I’ve never hurt my ankle (knock on wood!).

I went to ALL the games & got way into them (no… not a cheerleader)- I should’ve got biggest fan award.

Only ate a few leftovers- we were at my mom’s & I only brought a few home. I’ll be making another Thanksgiving meal next week so we can enjoy all the leftovers! I’ll have to try that salad! I’ve never even thought of that!

Janae November 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

That is a great idea to make another TDay meal next time….we will be copying you! Hope you are having an amazing weekend Jan!

Jaeme + Randy November 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm

My moms biscuts and gravy is amazing. MMM yummy!

Abby @ ZestyNerd November 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm

As a soccer player, I sprained both of my ankles more times that I can count. That ankle looks odd though; I’ve never seen an ankle swell in such in such a small area vs spreading out. I hope for his sake that it’s not something worse.

And is it weird that when you said the words “gross injuries” I couldn’t wait to see the picture? I guess I’ve chosen the right career path as a PT.

Di November 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm

There is nothing better around Christmas than putting Home Alone on the tv and relaxing :)

Ana Maria November 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm

You are so right about Home Alone – just never gets old.
Here’s the ultimate test of character though: 1 or 2?
How can one ever decide?!

Ana Maria November 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I cheated and asked you a question instead of answering any of yours, so…
1) Sprained my ankle when I was 13 and now one of my legs is 1/4 inch shorter than the other. Not noticeable but weird enough to make me cool. At least that’s what I tell myself.
2) Watched Home Alone 2
3) Went to highschool football games because our school had a streaker named Dave who would paint himself gold and purple and run across the field at half time in a thong. The teachers had to pretend to try and catch him and it was funny.
4) My Thanksgiving was a bit ago – I’m Canadian. Think I did some pasta and turkey sandwiches! :)

Janae November 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm

One and one!

Diana Carolina November 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I sprained my ankle my first year of college. Imagine a size 7 foot not only getting swollen like that picture but also turning almost BLACK!! My friend helped me take off my shoe while my roommate had to call my mom in CA (I was going to school in Seattle) to convince me to have it checked out because I didn’t want to go to hospital. By the time, I was ready to go, my foot had gotten so swollen that I had to wear my roommate’s fuzzy slipper…..which was a size 9!!

Ali Mc November 26, 2011 at 7:46 pm

OMG I hope his ankle gets better :)

Amy November 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm

ouch!! ive never broken anything (knock on wood) and hopefully never will!!

i like your salad idea…ive been eating thanksgiving leftovers nonstop since thursday…and non leftovers like marshmallows straight out of the bag for an appetizer. i think i just need to kill the leftovers in 1 sitting and get it over with!

Kristine @ Running on Hungry November 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I just had to comment because not only did I too fit 5 desserts on one plate (my new PR), we watched Elf and Home Alone on Thanksgiving too! (Home Alone is a tradition, Elf was just a lucky accident.) Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

PS- If Billy wants to go to Law School in SF we have an abundance of Targets, Trader Joes AND fro yo places! Just FYI :)

Janae November 26, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Seriously! That would be amazing to live in SF and we could hang out all of the time! Your 5 desserts made me so happy and we watched the same movies wahoooooo! Have an amazing day gorgeous girl!

Tabaitha November 26, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I’ve rolled my ankle before but nothing like the swelling of a tennis ball on his ankle. Ouch! I haven’t started watching any holiday movies yet, but I’ve already made a list of my favorites and have them set aside for us to watch. Last night we had a second Thanksgiving at my Aunt’s house and devoured some of her leftovers. I’m thinking I might make some Turkey Chili tomorrow for dinner.

Jessica November 26, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I sprained my ankle when I was about 15 in YW b-ball…it tore most of the ligaments, and it swelled up to the size of a baseball. It never truly healed and always had a huge bump on it…until I sprained it again a year later in track. Then, I healed it nice, and it’s back to normal now. It was SO painful both times- I feel for your BIL’s friend!

Jessica November 27, 2011 at 2:59 am

I have had Turkey Day left overs every day since Thanksgiving!!

No Holiday movies yet,….but maybe today!!

LOVE your dedication to go to the gym! I got a run in on Friday but that was it since a few days before Thanksgiving…MY house has been full of family, and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner!

Janae November 27, 2011 at 8:49 am

Leftovers are the best! That is so cool that you cooked for everyone!

Sarah November 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm

My dads foot looked identical to that when he fell a few months ago on vacation! He ended uo breaking the 5th metatarsal bone in his foot and landed a sweet walking cast.

Bess @ Bess Be Fit November 27, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I watched Home Alone and Love Actually yesterday!!! Love both of those. I’ve already watched Elf twice and I’m sure I’ll watch it about 20 more times before Christmas!

Bess @ Bess Be Fit November 27, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Oh, and I’ve also sprained both of my ankles from soccer more times than I could count. Its definitely more than twenty. My ligaments are shot! It got to the point that the ligament started pulling the bone away from my ankle whenever I would sprain it. Oh well, with all the horrible knee injuries from soccer, I was just glad I never had knee problems!