12 kind of a night…..

September 29, 2011

Remember how I said I was going to go get a hard-core lifting session in with the sis last night?

We went and my arms are sore today.  We were about to jump on the elliptical after lifting but then we looked outside.  It was dusk and the perfect temperature so we decided to go on a long walk instead.  Best decision ever.  We had a very bipolar conversation consisting of about 43 laughing attacks (about things like some very interesting shaped trees that we saw along the way) to very serious talks.  I think I need to do this daily.

Onto my weight routine.  I grabbed a bunch of different sets of weights as you can tell but I stuck with the 12 lbs weights for this workout.

Does it make you worried that my hair is in the exact same hairstyle today.  Sweat wringlets are the new hair horns.

Good thing you can tell the number I am pointing at….for all you know those could be 3 lbs weights…muhahaha.

Photo

12 lbs. 12 reps 12 minus 4 moves (which really equals 8 moves but the 12 theme sounded cooler).  3 sets (dang it, I messed up my theme again).

-Chest Press

-Dumbell Upright Row

-Isolated Bicep Curls

—————————————————-

-Lying Tricep Extension (I used just one weight).

-Chest Fly (okay, okay I used 8 lb. weights for this but I will get to 12 eventually).

-Alternating Shoulder Press

————————————————–

-Dumbbell Bent-over Row

-Incline Curl

————————————————–

I know that a lot of you are awesome at splitting up your lifting to something like back/shoulders one day and bicep/tripcep another day.  For me, it isn’t often that I venture into the dark side of the gym (where you can’t even see the cardio machines) so I like to do a bunch of different stuff and target most of the major upper body muscle groups!

What was YOUR workout today?

-20 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes sweatclimber and repeat for a total of 60 minutes.

How do you get your weight training in?  Any favorite moves or muscle groups you love to work? Do you follow a plan?

-I am a sucker for the internet and google some moves right before I workout:)

Melissa September 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

My workout today consisted of 9 miles at 5:30 am and I forgot my head lamp and there were no streetlights on = SCARY!!!!!!! Stupid girl.

I managed to get a lift in at lunch at my work gym but EVERYONE WAS IN MY WAY!!!!!!! And I felt like I couldn’t use or stand what or where I wanted to!! ok enough whining

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’m not a huge fan of strength training because I love my cardio, but I realize it’s benefits and am trying to get better about doing it.

I don’t do splits because I want to work out as many muscles as I can and be done for the day. And I don’t follow a plan but make up stuff as I go along. It’s more fun that way!

Genie September 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I ran this morning, and I will do arms tonight! WOOP WOOP! I do a four day body part split, lifting heavy one week and not-so-heavy the next.

Kate @ Chasing It September 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

omg i bet you have guns of steel!!!! 12 pounds! oh man. 5-7 is usually where I hang out lol!

my workout today = 25 min run, 40 min elliptical, 30 min lifting. I definitely follow a plan with my lifting! its usually 5 moves, 10-12 reps, light weights, and full-body – it’s designed to be running – specific and it changes based on where you are in your race training! I also do 20 mins of core at the end too! core is definitely my favorite haha the rest of me is pretty wimpy :-P

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Rest day today :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I am a bodypump freak. Running was my jam today!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Coincidentally, this week’s Tuesday Trainer theme is BACK and BICEPS. Those body parts don’t like chest and tri’s. They need their own day.

Janae September 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Can I hire you to be my trainer? I need to learn about that kind of stuff okay:)

Siobhan @ Sio 'n the Run September 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I love to rock the sweat twists! And today is my rest day.

As for weight training- lately I’ve been doing mine without the weights. So, I will do handstands, chicken pecks and push ups for my arms. But I love getting a hardcore weight training that engages my abs!

Stephanie September 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I ran 6 miles this morning and plan to do some core work and push ups this evening.
I have not been so good about lifting over the past month, but after my next marathon I am going to focus on strentgh training for a couple months. I will still run, just won’t be training for any distance events.

I like to utilize any form of strength training I can; free weights & machines at the gym, DVD’s at home, On Demand/exercise TV, free weights at home, push ups, etc…

Jen September 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm

6 miles on the treadmill at 4:30 am!

Kathy September 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm

6 miles this morning… sore knee so I gave myself the rest of the day off. I try to do upper body one day and then legs on a different day. But my friend does that whole chest/tri and back/bi thing…. I keep trying to adhere to it but…. :)

Gen September 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Sounds like an awesome strength workout! I did Jillian’s 30 day shred level 2 workout today!

Julia H. September 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm

okay…your post just reminded me that I saw somebody that looked exactly like you walking in the canyon last night…however, as I got up closer to her I literally had the thought “no…her ponytail is too neat” ;) ;) my workout tonight = lots of stretching! love you sweet friend!

Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs September 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I got a new workout DVD set that I am liking. It’s from the same lady who does Turbo Fire and I am really liking it! It’s all weights and really challenging but not too much. I am scheduled to do one at some point today :)

Lauren (Mrs Q) September 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm

My husband has been helping me out with learning how to lift as far as the whole certain muscle groups on certain days things… I’m gonna have him sit down with me this weekend and start planning out my winter training because [sadly] my running will be lessened quite a bit because running on ice is rarely a good idea, and my body can only handle a certain amount of treadmill running before it decides to get injured. =/

Missy September 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I ran 3 miles today and I think the ICK is finally gone! It felt great! Nice job on your workout!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 29, 2011 at 7:39 pm

4.25 mile interval sesh on the treadmill. I’m obsessed, as you know, with NROLFW for strength training :)

Samantha September 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm

“the dark side of the gym” hahaha! lately I’ve been hitting the assisted bench press…a whole new experience!

Alisa @ Runs with Knives September 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I tend to rip out the weight lifting articles in magazines and use those. I have a good bunch in a binder that I refer to. It’s nice because there is plenty of variety and I know most major muscle groups are represented. Plus I have a bunch of specific articles (arms, abs, back, etc) that I can refer to if I want a more specific workout.

Dorry September 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm

My workout was an easy 3-mile run outside. It was perfect. I get my weight training in at home or at the occasional class at a gym…probably not as often as I should. :)

Khushboo September 30, 2011 at 2:21 am

I’m the same- I split up my workout merely as upper and lower body! Today’s workout was actually very similar to yours (in terms of moves)! I started off with 20 mins on the elliptical followed by a bunch of upper body moves! Although I’m yet to get my 12 pounders on–> I varied between 7.5 & 10 lbs!

rache September 30, 2011 at 5:49 am

I do The Firm’s Total Body Workout which works the upper and lower body with some really, really tame cardio moves thrown in. It works at toining me up though. I try 3 times a week plus the running because it really makes me feel stronger. Maybe that’s just psychological! Let’s all rock sweat ringlets please :)

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life September 30, 2011 at 6:33 am

You are so pretty without even trying!

I am going to have to incorporate some weights into my workout regime soon!

Amy September 30, 2011 at 7:15 am

I’m working through P90X for the first time. Today was legs and back :)

Cait the Arty Runnerchick September 30, 2011 at 5:43 pm

awesome arm workout and i’d be sore too! :) i did some weights myself after my run…power to my hummingbird arms. hehe

Melissa October 6, 2011 at 9:01 am

I did this arm workout this morning…it was awesome!!!

Haute Running Mama October 6, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Seriously, how do you look so dang gorgeous when you are working out?!?! JEALOUS!

I love WH Mag workouts! They always have the little cards that you can tear out and take to the gym. Love em!