Why SO Happy?

August 22, 2011

Welcome to my really happy excited face as I was stepping away on the stairclimber.  My teeth are not blue on the right side, that is just some gum because I am addicted to it and have to pop in a piece even before my 5:30 a.m. workout today.

I am actually quite proud of my new found coordination- taking a picture while on the stairclimber at the same time is tough work.

Photo 2

Why so happy?  I tested out the legs today on the treadmill.

And guess what….no pain!  If you remember, I took a week off because the shin splints were creeping up a tiny bit again and boy am I glad that I didn’t try to continue to run on them.

Game plan for Janae to get back to running like all of you running superstars:

1.  Running every other day (or less if needed) no exceptions.  Dear Janae, I don’t care how good you are feeling…you need to take at least a day off after EVERY. SINGLE. RUN.

2.  Start SMALL.  Today Billy (my new mental coach, I need someone to set rules for me) gave me permission to do 1.5 miles (no more and if it hurts at all STOP).  For the next few weeks it will be about strengthening my feet and legs.  No jumping into high mileage because that is when injury is most likely to occur.

3.  Don’t stress about New York. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn’t I will just spend that day doing all of my other favorite things in life (ice cream topped with cereal, family and bike riding).

————————————————————————–

Can any of you experienced injury comebackers add to my game plan?

What was your workout?

Kat August 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Definitely take the injuries SLOW. You don’t wanna know what running on injuries will do to you (Hint: it’ll make your doctor and physiotherapist threaten you with double knee replacements by 30). I took a good 2 months off running due to my knees and ankle and it helped so much. I’ve also found that splitting up my runs (aka doing 2 1.5 mile runs and not a 3 mile run) with some foam rolling and stretching in between seems to help me since my injuries seem to flare up at the 2 mile mark. Plus the 10% rule for weekly mileage…so fun. Not. And ice like it’s your job, but I’m sure you know that ;)

My workout today is going to be a full body strength workout, I was going to run but it’s raining so I’ll run tomorrow.

Lisa August 22, 2011 at 12:28 pm

No injury comeback tips. Lots of tips for bruises, though. (I have some pretty epic ones from resistance bands right now…)

Today’s workout was weights! Love love love ‘em! Especially while watching Dance Moms. :P

Girl In The Pink August 22, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Ahh you are so patient! I am glad you are taking it easy and recovering though!

Whenever I feel a little pain I rest and/or cross train rather than running. At the end of the day I am still getting the feel good endorphins and am able to sweat!

kari @ Running Ricig August 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Yay for no pain and taking things slow!! Good luck!

Alexis August 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

It sounds like some good tips from Billy :) No more comeback tips from me you pretty much covered them all.
Today I swam 2500 yds woo! I find it a lot easier to work harder at running though. I feel really lazy on the days I swim because it’s so easy for me. I think I need someone to be yelling in my face while I”m swimming

Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs August 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I am the worst at giving advice about injuries. I danced on a slightly torn achillies tendon until my doctor said “stop or have surgery”. I also have a tendency to just ignore things until they get so bad they can’t be ignored anymore. Winner I tell you! Haha. I am being SUPER conscious of all this now that I am on the road to my frist half, it’s just not worth it for me to get injured.

Maren August 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I am the worst injury person ever! I never rest and only make things worse. I should get a coach too, to set rules for me.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 22, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Yay! That must’ve felt awesome! Take it slow and enjoy each run :)

Gretchen August 22, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Yay for no pain! It must be tough to take things slow, but it’s so much better for you in the long run.
Today, I did the indoor bike for 75 minutes and then did a little work with the kettle bell.

Kristin @ Everyday Is Run Day August 22, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Your patience and good attitude are so inspiring! Slow and steady and you will be great! It’s great that Billy is “coaching” you. I am doing the same for my fiance who has just started running again after 5 weeks off from a heel spur. We are training for our first marathon together (Philly) and we are being extra careful to make sure he doesn’t re-injure himself.

Rest day for me today after 17 miles yesterday!

Coco August 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I’m so excited for you!! I’ve been dealing with an IT band injury for just over a month- and there are times when I just ignore the pain, but really it’s so much better when I listen to it and chill. We all have to start somewhere :) Keep doing what your doing lady!

Emily@RunningPerspective August 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm

YAY GIRL SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!! and yayy so glad you have billy to KEEP YOU ON TRACK! you will be back to being a running machine in no time!!! and i love your optimism GOD GIRL YOU INSPIRE ME SO MUCH!!!!<3

Victoria (District Chocoholic) August 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm

From my injury experience? Ice, ice baby. After every run (for me, it was shoulders after every swim). Worth it.

Marisa August 22, 2011 at 1:32 pm

in your opinion is 7 weeks long enough to train for a marathon?! any tips from anyone reading this would be great but i know from your blog that you run marathons. also do you follow a training plan?

lindsay August 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm

oh happy day indeed! congrats on no pain! Lets keep it that way.

Holly August 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm

YAY YAY YAY :D Congrats!! & I love that Billy is your mental coach- that is awesome. You two make the best team EVER!

karen F August 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

First off so happy for you! Whoo to the whooo. You know what? After I sucked it up and started running every other day and some times only 3 days a week (cross training and weights the other days) I stopped getting injured. I recovered quicker. I felt better. My life changed. Some people can run every day. Im (and youre) not one of those people. Big whoop. The ability to run, esp after you had a bout of injurys is glorious. Such a gift. I started thinking of my cross training as my running medicine. It allows me to be able to run and to be free. So I have to take my medicine 3-4 times a week. And I dont like it- Id rather run every day. But if I do Ill get hurt and I wont run at all. So I take my medicine and still get to run 40-45 miles a week. And I finally know enough to know I am blessed. God (or whatever you belive in) keeps teaching you lessons until you get it. And I finally got schooled!

Vanessa N August 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I got an IT band injury after a half marathon in June. I hadn’t had the patience to go a full week without “trying” a run, and as a result hadn’t been able to get up to 4 miles without pain. It’s been about a week since my last run and I’m going to try to go a full month – it’s not worth the set backs and disappointment. I’m just focusing on spinning for now to keep my cardio up. :/ good luck!

HauteRunningMama August 22, 2011 at 2:15 pm

That picture made me lol! Love it!

You are so patient J. You are doing great with your recovery and you will be back in action in no time. No pain = Awesome!

No workout for me today. My left achilles is sore from yesterday’s race so I will be on run rest for a few days. I have a feeling that the bike is going to be my really good friend this week!!

Mandee Pearson August 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Do your physical therapy routine if you have one—for shin splints write the alphabet with your feet a couple times each. ICE. take it slow! I did my therapy consistantly and it felt like it took ages but I came back! Running Hood to Coast this weekend!!!! CANNOT WAIT

michele August 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Yay for no pain!!

Jenn August 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Lots of RICE – rest, ice, compression & elevation. I had shin splints during my gymnastics days (years ago!) and saw a lot of doctors about it! Shin splints are an injury that respond very well to ice – ice 15 minutes on, 45 mninutes off, 15 on, etc, if you can. Try to ice at least 3 times a day.

A good ice tip is to take styrofoam cups, fill 2/3 with water and freeze them, then peel back the styrofoam enough to expose ice, apply in a circular pattern and keep peeling back the styrofoam as necessary.

You can also tape for shin splints – a physiotherapist can show you the best way to tape for the specific area that you’re having trouble with.

Finally, you’re doing the right thing taking it easy!! Rest is the only way to ‘cure’ shin splints. Good luck, I hope you’re feeling better!!

Kate @ Run With Kate August 22, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I’ve had 2 stress fractures and ITBS and the best lesson I learned was RESTRAINT. As soon as you’re feeling better you want to jump fully back into running but we have to be patient and take it slow. I am the farthest thing from patient so this was a big lesson for me to learn. It sounds likes you’re being very smart and your positive attitude will definitely pay off!

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 22, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Woo hoo for no pain! I’m sure that makes you feel so much better about taking a week off. My workout today was running the stairs at the reservoir near my house. My legs were involuntarily shaking at the end! :)

Toby August 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’m so glad to hear you are on the upward swing! After my stress fracture, I spent a gazillion hours researching a “comeback plan”. I found this one super helpful!!

I’m no expert, but I would definitely do lots and lots and lots of core and leg lifting. Muscles break down when they are weak….which starts to effect bones. Lots of squats, lunges, wall sits, leg curls, and etc. As you know, keep up your calcium and magnesium. Ice baths are one of my favorite too (or ice cups). Good luck!

Shannon August 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Continue to do any type of physical therapy that was given to you. Even though I’m out of PT for my knee I have to constantly remind myself to do it every single day or my knee will be back to square 1.

The ice in a styrofoam cup thing… oh man, used that at PT sometimes… So flippin’ cold! It works, but I preferred just an ice pack because it wasn’t so cold… and I could lay down, not sit up and actually have to work.

And my workout was 65 minutes elliptical… if I feel so motivated I’ll do Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred…

Amylee August 22, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Every other day is the best idea ever. STICK TO IT. And keep up on strength training your legs and glutes.
Workout today? Chasing 4 kids all day long- and a 5 mile run in the evening after they are all in bed.

Rachelle August 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Yay for you girl! Your game plan sounds great! Now you just gotta stick with it. Can I run right next to you on a treadmill for 1.5 miles soon? I would love that. Love ya girl.

stephanie August 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm

yay!!! a pain-free run!! thats great that you have Billy keeping you accountable to your plan. I am always so amazed with your attitude

Mamarunsbarefoot August 22, 2011 at 3:29 pm

YAY Janae!!!! I tackled some hills today, haven’t done that since February!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College August 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Haha I brush my teeth in the morning and then chew gum…I think I probably go through about 10 pieces of gum a day. It’s a necessity! Good luck with getting back into running. I know you’re going to be awesome: you’re Janae!

Erica August 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I ran only 3 days a week, X-trained 2 days, and 2 days rest or only stretching.

At first i wanted to run more often, but then when I could, I actually realized how much I loved this schedule. Funny how that happens. i still go back to this when I feel my body needs a bit of a rest.

Allison August 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I think every other day sounds like a plan! Lifting too. Can’t go wrong with strength training and core work. I need to get on top of that myself, as I’m in rehab mode as well (SUPER strained R calf muscle).

I am fortunate enough to have an Alter G treadmill at my gym, so my workout today consisted of the Alter G at 70% of my body weight for 30 minutes and 75% for the last 15 minutes. Then, 15 minutes of elliptical on top of that. Each day I try too eeeeek it up a little more. I could feel my leg today though, so tomorrow may be a repeat of today if it feels ok.

Laura August 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I’m healing up my THIRD lower leg stress fx. As the others have said take it slow and stop at the first sign of pain. Once you get a week or so of pain free running you’ll feel better and more confident to ramp it up some with distance and intensity, in moderation of course. I know it’s HARD but the thought of starting over will keep you in your shoes. Happy Running!!!

Amanda @FancyOatmeal August 22, 2011 at 5:18 pm

This morning I did the Bob Harper extreme cardio DVD. It was extreme and I sweated. A lot. And not just cuz Bob’s a fox.

Adrian August 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I ran 20 miles yesterday! It’s a new personal record for distance! I also took an ice bath! OUCH! I just love your blog so much Janae! You’ve have the funniest pictures and the best stories! :)

Missy August 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Yay Janae! I’m so excited for you! I completely agree on taking days off in between runs, you have to give your legs a rest, I don’t know how people run every day. Even if I run 2 or 3 days in a row, I can feel it in my legs, they definitely need a rest.

Alyssa August 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Glad to hear you are improving! It’s good that Billy is stepping in. Husbands are good with the tough love. I like the every other day plan. I’m resting today after my first triathlon yesterday! I did fit in a little yoga though.

Kate @ Chasing It August 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm

You are so lucky to have Billy as a mental coach!! He’ll keep you in check, it can be sooo hard to ease back into things when you just wanna go go go

your recovery/rebuilding plan is spot on – I had shin splints really badly last summer, and another thing that helps is ICE. keep icing after every single run, actually after every workout is good, EVEN if you’re not sore. I call it “preventative icing” haha. No need to go nuts and ice like six million times a day – just 15 mins after your workout to nip any new aggravation in the bud :D

Lauren August 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I am currently going through surgery recovery!! So I am reading your advice and learning from you lovely lady ;-)

Today started with a 3000-meter swim which was supposed to be 3400-meters but the workout I did kicked.my.butt-ootie! Then, I did about 30-40 minutes between two different ellipticals in the evennning.

I got into the habit of drinking coffee in the morning before my workout (which I never ever used to do) so now I always chew gum too so my own stinky breathe doesn’t bother me!

Marie August 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm

No advice here to add, but I’ll be praying for your recovery! ;)

M August 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Hi Janae, I’ve been reading your blog for a while, lurking around but have never commented. I feel your pain. I am attempting to take up running for the first time in my life (I’m a natural swimmer but running is VERY hard for me). I feel you pain. Even at the beginner level of tiny short runs I was getting pretty horrific shin splints. A friend of mine who run marathons suggested I see a sports podiatrist. I had been going to different physio therapists but the relief was always temporary and came back (much like it is for you). So I went to the podiatrist and I had some, personally designed for my feet, orthotics. Have not had ANY pain since and I am attempting my first race (a short one by your standards but you gotta start somewhere) this weekend.
Of course this isn’t to say a podiatrist can help everyone’s problems but I was wondering if you have ever thought of seeing one…..?\
Love your blog btw :)

Janae August 23, 2011 at 8:53 am

M!!!! Thank you so so much!! You made my day!! I am SO SORRY that you experienced shin splints but I am SO thankful that you shared what you learned with me!! I will be making a periodontist appointment asap! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RACE THIS WEEKEND and please let me know how it goes!

M August 27, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Hey there! So I just finished the race. I was slow by most people’s standard but I finished quicker than I hoped and didn’t have to walk the hills. Calves are sore but the shin splints are ok (I think, for the moment) so maybe these orthotics are really working! I have never run 4km before so I’m stoked. And I have to say thankyou to you. Although this is the first time I’ve messaged you I wanted to say that you have helped get me here. Onto the next stage…… 12pm race here I come! :)

Charissa Steyn August 23, 2011 at 1:19 am

You are so positive!! May God continue to give you the strength to get the rest you need and may he heal you completely :)

Janae August 23, 2011 at 11:25 am

WOW…thank you so so much Charissa!

Stephanie @ Vegetarian Bakeaholic August 23, 2011 at 6:55 am

Today’s workout will be an hour of easy yoga to recover from yesterday’s hour of big girl weights! :)

Jennie August 23, 2011 at 8:52 am

It’s hard, but I just realized I have to do the same thing and take a day off after every single run. No more consecutive days of running for me, my shin just can’t seem to handle it. We’ll just have to ride the bike more!

Janae August 23, 2011 at 11:25 am

We can do it TOGETHER!!!

Stacy August 23, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m doing the same thing you are! I was in a car accident back in February and haven’t been able to run since without pain. I’ve been in therapy for months, and going through a LOT of strength training for my legs! I can tell ya it helps… slowllyyy.

Danica August 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm

You’re such an inspiration! I get bad pain in my left ankle and occasionally my right knee after long runs, but as a beginner runner I always worry it’s just because I’m weak so I feel the need to push myself harder. I’ve been reading your blog for a few weeks now and I’m glad to hear you’re recovering and staying positive. I wish no one ever had to deal with running injuries, but luckily there is so much supporting in the running and blogging communities and so many people to look to for advice and inspiration :) Keep up the good work!

Leatrice September 3, 2011 at 3:11 am

You got to push it-this esesntial info that is!

tzifhr September 5, 2011 at 6:01 am