Eat what you want.

July 17, 2011

Well, my favorite little munchkins went home today. I guess some people in this world actually have lives to get back to and can’t bum off of their in-laws for a whole summer.

I know it sounds silly but this morning it was incredibly fun to help get them ready and feed them breakfast.

I was told that I make the most perfect toast ever and that I will make a great mom.  Coming from my 5 year old neice, those were the two best compliment she could have ever given me:)

This little nugget may seem small, but she can chow down……2 bowls of rice krispies in 5 minutes flat.

After saying our goodbye’s (don’t worry, I only cried a little bit) we darted off for church and came home starving because I decided to spend more time getting ready than eating which I NEVER chose to do…..I must be getting sick.  I only managed to grab a hard-boiled egg, string cheese and nectarine on the way out for breakfast so first thing first (after getting into pj’s of course) was making a vat of popcorn.

After eating approximately 3/4ths of that bowl I started thinking about what I should have for lunch.

Internal dialouge (actually I might have said it out loud too but I was talking to myself): “Your favorite ginormous salad sounds amazing right now.  There are so many fresh vegetables in the fridge calling your name and nothing is better than adding popcorn on top of your favorite carrot/turkey/cottage cheese/hard boiled egg/peppers/balsamic vinagerette salad.  But wait……you have to eat something interesting and different for the blog…..before I could finish that sentence I started laughing at myself.  Really, I am not going to eat what I want so I can post something different for the blog.”

So, moral of the story……eat what you feel like and end it with a bag of swedish fish because your father-in-law brought home 28 bags of them.

————————————————————————

If you have a food blog do you feel like you have to constantly try new things or eat differently than what you truly want?

-Sometimes when I think I am eating the same things a lot but then I remember that that is real life and before the blog I rotated 3 lunches for the entire school year.

What is the weirdest thing that you add to your salads?

-Some people (okay, you guessed it…Billy) think it is strange that I love adding pickles, goldfish or popcorn to my salad.

Let’s be honest here….do you drink the leftover milk straight from the cereal bowl?

-You better believe it.  Sometimes I even add a little bit of chocolate syrup to make it chocolate milk.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 17, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I just found your blog and love it! the last bit about chocolate milk made me smile ( I am the exact same!) I found that once I started blogging I tried new things, but still stuck to what I liked best. I don’t really remember adding anything outta the ordinary in my salad…popcorn sounds good though!

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm

HI LAUREN!! Thank you so so much!! I LOVE that you do the chocolate milk thing too!! Let me know if you like the popcorn on your salad:)

Khourt @ Life As A Convert July 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I dont have a food blog, but I like to post food on my blog.. I try to post different stuff though.. :)

erica July 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm

i love adding popcorn, soy chips, and nuts! i put my salad in the fridge the night before work and i microwave it for twenty seconds the next day. it makes the toppings a little soggier.

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I need to try soy chips and nuts to my salad!! THANKS!!!

Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm

My blog isn’t strictly a food blog. Sometimes I blog about my meals and a lot of times I don’t. But I do understand what you mean — even when I do sometimes post my meals, I feel some weird obligation to have something interesting or super healthy. I try to ignore that though!

Oh and you KNOW I drink the milk from the bowl. Oh hellz yeah.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 17, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I try not to let blogging dictate my eating in a non-positive way. I like thatit motivates me to eayt healthy but I also find that I used to feel pressures that I shouldn’t. Now I eat forme and if its interesting it makes the blog and if not, it doesn’t.

Oh and I tried Moose Tracks this weekend and made sure I told my bf that I read about it here first! lol

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm

AHHH What did you think of the Moose Tracks?!?! It is SO SO GOOD!! I agree with you! If it is interesting…put it on…if not, leave it out:)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 18, 2011 at 11:20 am

I loved it!!! I plan to get it each and everytime I go to the cottage from now on!!

courtney @ third time's a charm runner July 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Milk outta my cereal bowl? Not happening! I’m so grossed out by that leftover milk, that i actually eat my cereal with a fork so I get as little of it as possible (i know, i’m a weirdo).

But I DO change into PJ’s as soon as I get home

I love that you put popcorn on your salad, I’m trying it tomorrow!

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska July 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I do the saaaaame thing with my cereal! I think the milk in cereal is the grossest, weirdest thing ever but I continue to use it. :)

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm

EATING CEREAL WITH A FORK….I LOVE YOU!! That is AWESOME!!! Let me know if you try the popcorn!

papa July 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm

POPCORN IS MY FAV!!! In order to enjoy it to the fullist, you need to dip each kernal in hot mustard….Outstanding! Also chunky peanut butter is a winner.

kirstin July 17, 2011 at 6:23 pm

That popcorn looks delicious! I like putting mustard, pickles, and Bob’s red hot sauce on my salad!

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I NEED to try putting mustard and hot sauce on my salad. WOW!!! You are BRILLIANT!

Katelyn July 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Making your own popcorn = one of the best things EVER.

Bethany July 17, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Goldfish are great on salads! Try cheez-it’s sometime too :)

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:24 pm

How have I never used cheez-it’s on my salad…that sounds absolutely AMAZING!!

Jenn July 17, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I like pickles in my salads too! I dont think I really eat many other “weird” things though! Gotta try the goldfish! I could see that being yummy!
~Jenn

Balancing Sylvia July 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Sometimes I want to change things up whether it’s with food or what I do that day, just for the blog. That’s good and bad I think. It’s great that such a fun hobby can push me to try new things but I’m not trying to live for other people. Sometimes I think it comes through the camera when some of the other bloggers I read live such exhausting lives. Are they really doing it for themselves or their readers? Anywho, my salads are boring and I love the cereal milk :)

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! It is great to switch things up as a HOBBY but not if we are trying to do it for other people!! LOVE your comment! Thanks girl!

Maria July 17, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Goldfish on top of a salad sound so yum. I need to try that. I definitely get into food habits that are hard to break!

Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) July 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I never would have thought to add popcorn to my salad. I should try it though because I love salad and I love popcorn. :) And yep, I definitely drink the leftover milk from my cereal bowl. I don’t blog what I eat everyday, just my favorite thing I ate that week, so I just go with whatever cravings I’m having at the moment.

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:22 pm

TRY THE POPCORN and let me know what you think! I LOVE your style of blogging….not everything but just your FAVORITE things!

Anna @ Food Fitness and Frolicking July 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Popcorn on salad? Yum!

PS..IT’S NATIONAL ICE CREAM DAY!!!!

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:21 pm

AHHH I must celebrate ASAP!! Thank you for letting me know:)

Emily@RunningPerspective July 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm

oh my gosh i add just about anything crunchy to my salads therefore you are not weird!!!! and i am gonna miss seeing pictures of those little guys! make them come back they are so so cute!!

Mandee Pearson July 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm

sometimes I try new things for breakfast because I do a weekend breakfast series on my blog, but mostly I eat what I want!!! I love adding Pomegranites to my salad!!

Janae July 17, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I HAVE to try out the pomegranates on my salad….that sounds absolutely AMAZING!! Thanks Mandee!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 17, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I am a total cereal milk slurper – it just tastes so good!

And I never eat something interesting just so I can blog it. I eat what I want girlie!

So sorry your sister and nieces/nephew went home! :(

Christina @ The Athletarian July 17, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I used to have a “Recipes” tab on my blog but I have taken it off because I am THAT boring. I always eat the same thing even though I want to change it up. I’ve accepted the fact that I eat the same thing every single day!

I love pickles in my salad as well. I have never tried Goldfish or popcorn but I bet it’s delicious! I like when taco salads have tortilla chip strips :)

When there’s extra milk in my bowl, I just add more cereal!

alyssa July 17, 2011 at 7:27 pm

your salads are so great…I consider all that stuff normal salad stuff! in my opinion, anything can go on top of greens…salsa, pretzels, fruit, mustard (besides any veggie or protein known to man!)

running ricig July 17, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I totally drink the milk! Mostly, it’s because, as a kid my best friend’s dad used to make us so we didn’t “waste” the milk. Now I just think it’s delicious!

Salad and popcorn…interesting combo.

Emily @ Sweating Sugar July 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I always eat differently but I do find myself doing different workouts for the sake of my blog!!! I guess that is a good thing though…..for everyone.

TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching July 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm

If there is leftover milk in the bowl, I usually just add more cereal so I can finish it off. :D There always has to be something crunchy (besides the lettuce) on a salad so goldfish totally makes sense.

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I don’t worry about posting food since I’m not a “food” blogger, but sometimes I feel like I may seem a little boring and wonder why the eff people would want to read what I’m writing haha. Oh well! I totally drink milk straight from the cereal bowl :). My bf loves to put mustard in his salad

rumfunandsun July 17, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I am very normal with regards to salads only.
I will only drink the milk from cereal if it’s chocolately, I don’t get down with white milk.
My blog is more verbal vomit than food blog and I only post food on occasion and not necessarily because it’s exciting but because I remembered to talk about it or take pictures of it! :-)

Tara July 17, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I just started my own food and fitness blog and sometimes (when I have a smoothie for breakfast everyyyy single morning) I think “are people getting bored of this??” But you are so right! We just need to eat what we want even if it is the same thing every day! What I am loving though is a place to share all of my fun creations and keep a log of everything :) Weirdest thing I add to my salad….not quite sure what, but I feel like my friends think the fact that I eat chia seeds is weird. And I DO drink the milk out of the bottom of my cereal bowl when I drink cereal…I like to put it in the freezer so the cereal gets soggy and the milk is suuuper cold :)

Janae July 17, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I JUST WENT TO YOUR BLOG and tried to leave a comment…it didn’t show up:) Will you check for it in spam? I NEED to try your freezer trick, that sounds absolutely amazing!

Rachelle July 17, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Aww so sad the little ones had to go. :( I love to drink the milk out of the cereal bowl. The more sugary it is the better. :)

And I could never be a food blogger because I am terrible at taking pictures of food before I eat it. And I basically eat the same thing every day. oops!

Love you Janae!!

Adrienne S July 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Absolutely i drink the milk. I make my kids drink it, I tell them that all the vitamins are left in it.

emily July 17, 2011 at 8:59 pm

sure, i drink the milk from the bowl after the cereal is gone. let’s not be wasteful, right? one of my blogs is called “the nutritious dish” so i do feel a little pressure to try new things but, i don’t have the time to post as frequently as i’d like to so, one new recipe a week is good enough for me. other than that, i rotate our favorite meals.

i’ve been reading every one of your posts but suck at commenting (sorry!). it looks like you had a great time with your family. i’ll bet they were just as sad leaving as you were to see them go.

Stephanie July 17, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Pickles are not weird at all, I put them on my salads too. Popcorn is only weird if you let it get soggy from the dressing. But crunchy popcorn is like a cool version of crutons!

Sometimes I feel like I should be creative for the blog and if it feels like a duty then I stick with what I want, but sometimes I like that the blog makes me think of fun/new things and gets me out of my normal ruts

Gracie (complicated day) July 17, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Mmmm, love adding “weird” things to salad like honey peanuts, BBQ potato chips (it’s good!), rice, kumquats, or crushed peanut butter sandwich crackers. Anything that adds crunch or flavor goes!
Oh and raw (not pickled) jalepenos add perfect heat!

Rene Hall July 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Heck yes on drinking milk from the cereal bowl. Who doesn’t?

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I’ve never seen popcorn on a salad, but pickles? Definitely! I used to drink the milk from the bowl all the time but now that I think about it, I haven’t done that in forever!

Alisa @ Runs with Knives July 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I try to make new things all the time. Or at least new variations of my favorites.

I’m willing to try anything on a salad at least once, as long as I know I like it off the salad. If I don’t like the food, I’m not putting in the precious salad bowl. My favorite thing right now is Popchips crumbled up, any flavor. Lots of salty crunch, with not a lot of calories!

Danielle Spellman @ Squirrel Snackin' July 17, 2011 at 9:55 pm

So excited you stopped by my blog. :) And thank you for the sweetest comment ever! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, but haven’t actually commented yet. Your pictures always make me laugh(and you alwayss look gorgeous even when goofing around) and you definitely inspire me to run more! One day SOON I will run more than 4 miles. ;)

Cory Reese July 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I am a member of the church of Every Meal Should End With Swedish Fish also. I’m happy to substitute other junk food as needed.

Lauren July 17, 2011 at 10:14 pm

This is my first official comment on your blog! (love it, btw!) Just had to say that one, i always add pretzels on top of my salad because they are great croutons and two that i will sometimes add the leftover milk to my coffee or tea in the morning..its more economical, right?! =)

Janae July 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm

AHHH Lauren I am SO happy that you commented!!! Pretzels are the best salad toppers and I am so glad that you use the leftover milk too….BRILLIANT!

Cait's a Runnerchick July 17, 2011 at 10:31 pm

glad to see the ur niece has been taking good notes off of her awesome lick the bowl clean aunt! ;) and u can bet ur bottom dollar my bowls are licked clean too ESPECIALLY if the milk is turned a diff color thanks to choco cereal or sugar coma style colorized cereal.

and the reason i don’t do a food blog is because i eat the same stuff all the time and people would never be interested! :P

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Um do you even KNOW me? Girl….we are pickle salad twins. I put pickles in on and around every salad I eat. Goldfish used to be a fave of mine before veganism happened. Buttttt AHHHH they went home!! Wahhh I babysat the cutest little nuggets this weekend and I already miss them.

p.s. That giant bowl of popcorn made me laugh out loudddd ahahah I love you and your iN LAWS

trouble July 17, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I’m sooo glad that you put what you honestly eat. You give me good ideas for non-boring healthy food. I love checking in with you daily. You keep me motivated!!! Happy Sunday!

Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters July 17, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I always put random things on my cereal- I’ve done cheerios before! I once put kettle popcorn in my bowl with some cereals, it got all gooey with milk and I loved it!!!

Alyssa July 18, 2011 at 5:27 am

Since reading your blog I put whatever is crunchy in my kitchen in my salad. Someone gave me trail mix in a gift bag and turned out that was amazing. The end-of-the-bag broken chips are a great topping too. I love raisins on my salad. I respect everyone’s choices, but i have to say the eating cereal with a fork thing SHOCKED me. I LOVE milk, sometimes I have to add more to my cereal, and I think pouring it down the drain is a sin! I don’t have a food blog, once in awhile I’ll mention if I made something really delicious and I want to brag about it, but mostly I stick to running/embarrassing pictures of myself.

Corrie Anne July 18, 2011 at 5:46 am

Goldfish on the salad sound amazing, but I hate cereal milk! YUCK!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 18, 2011 at 6:07 am

I sometimes think that I should be trying new recipes more often so that I can post about them. But on the days/weeks when my husband is traveling for work, I have no desire to make a big meal just for me. So I usually end up with oatmeal or something equally boring! ;)

I love that you put popcorn on your salad!! I would have never thought about that!! I don’t know if this is weird or not… sometimes when I’m using ranch dressing on my salad, I add a little hot sauce. It’s like eating hot wings, but in lettuce form haha!

Gen July 18, 2011 at 6:43 am

Popcorn on salad = genius!!!!
I pretty much eat what I want……especially since I usually end up forgetting to post food pics on the blog…:P. My fav combo that no one else likes is marinara sauce on my baked potato! Yum!

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 18, 2011 at 7:23 am

Haha, popcorn in a salad–nice! Ever tried popcorn in chili to bulk it up? Also good. :)

Niki (Life's a Payne) July 18, 2011 at 7:23 am

I have no problems eating the same things over and over. I just may chose not to elaborate on them on the blog and talk about some other things!

I don’t think I add weird things to my salad…is adding hot sauce weird because Jason and I do that a lot?

And as for milk from cereal, LOVE drinking it up! I am intrigued by this chocolate syrup idea!

Melissa July 18, 2011 at 9:33 am

I have a food blog and I try to make something new about 2 or 3 times a week. My husband isn’t as adventurous as I am and he prefers meals he knows and loves. So we compromise :)

And, I don’t like milk, so I put the least amount possible on my cereal so there is hardly anything left in the bottom of the bowl!

Stephanie July 18, 2011 at 9:49 am

Wait, wait, wait. It is weird to add pickles to your salad??!?!?! THATs why that lady at our honeymoon resort was looking at me weird!!! Every day we would line up at the lunch buffet and this lady gave me the DEATH GLARE as I was putting [tons, TONS] of pickles on my salad. I thought it was because they might be rare in St. Lucia and I was being mighty gluttonous…but maybe it was just cause it’s weird to some people?? I never ever even entertained that thought??

Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com July 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Love milk after the cereal. It’s soooo good. I might like drinking it too because it totally grosses out my hubby. Of course he scared of cotton balls so it’s easy pickins.

Elissa July 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I totally add pickles to my salad! Sometimes its just a big bowl of lettuce and pickles. Occassionally, I’ll even use pickle juice as salad dressing if I dont have any dressing or if I’m too lazy to search through the fridge to get dressing out.

Drinking milk after my cereal was in it totally freaks me out!!!! I usually dont have to worry about that though because I keep adding cereal to the bowl til I run out of milk, or keep adding milk until I run out of cereal. Its a vicious cycle! There are some morning where I’m running late for work and dont have time to eat cereal until the milk runs out. In that case, I usually put the bowl on the floor and let the dogs drink it up! They seem to enjoy it way more than I would!!!!