My Costco Staples.

June 3, 2011

Costco is way more fun with kids because they:

a.  Don’t get embarrassed grabbing five samples from each station for their favorite aunt.  PS the tortellini samples were amazing.

b.  I can spend more time in the toy aisles without the other shoppers thinking I am a creeper for lurking around in the kids section for an hour (PS I think I know what I am going to get Billy for his upcoming birthday).

c.  They beg their mom for ice cream and churros so that I don’t have to throw a kicking a screaming fit when I ask for ice cream and Billy tells me, ‘Janae, you have already had more sugar today than you should in a week, maybe we should chose something good for our bodies.’  Little does he know that ice cream healed me.

I don’t know what is up with me and sharing my food lately……..I shared my ice cream with a four year old that may like sugar just as much as me (okay, we all know that is an exageration).  We are even friends after the experience and I only had to tell her to stick to her chocolate side twice.

I did steal a bite from this little one’s churro when she wasn’t looking and it was heavenly.

You know you have a problem when you get a rush from stealing your niece’s churro.

Dinner was at the parentals of course.  Even though the ice cream at Costco filled my belly quite nicely, I jumped up and down for a few minutes to make room for this meal because those chicken skewers looked way too good to pass up.  I put them on a salad mix with carrots, snap peas, bbq sauce and ranch.

After a riveting game of Wheel of Fortune with my family (I am 99% sure my mom calls my brother on the East Coast to get all of the puzzle answers before it is played here because she would win so fast with like 3 letters on the board).

Then it was off to baseball.

My lil’ slugger played so well! They won both games!   I offered to take the team out to Pizza Hut after the games but they looked at me kind of funny.  I guess I will just have to bring Capri Suns and orange slices next week.

——————————————————————————————–

What do you use for salad dressing most often?

-Salsa and bbq sauce and when we win the lottery I will have 1 cup of fresh guacamole as my salad dressing every day of my life.

What are some of your weekly grocery staples?

-At Costco we always get eggs, milk, broccoli, spinach, bread, bananas, apples, yogurt and tortillas.  I nearly had a meltdown yesterday when they were out of bananas and put my whole schedule out of whack.

Churro, Donut, Cupcake or a Fresh Cookie?

-1st- Cupcake (as long as the frosting is heavenly), 2nd- CHURRO (especially Disneyland ones), 3rd-donut (maple bar with sprinkles please) and last a fresh cookie.

Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee June 3, 2011 at 6:43 am

I use salsa or lemon juice most often. Or ranch dressing.
Weekly staples are cheerios, tortillas, hummus, salad, bananas, tomatoes, and almond milk.
1-fresh cookie! 2-cupcake 3-krispy kreme glazed donut 3-churro

Lisa@The Daily RUNdown June 3, 2011 at 6:44 am

My grocery staples are long and expensive. I spend 70 a week just on fruits and veggies. It's bad.

fitchocoholic June 3, 2011 at 6:47 am

I either use salsa or balsamic vinegar on a salad!!!
Here, we have churros that are the same on the outside as the ones in the States, but are hollowed out and filled with either caramel sauce or chocolate! So delicious!
1-cookie 2-churro 3-donut 4-cupcake (i usually just eat the frosting…not much of a cake person)

running ricig June 3, 2011 at 6:49 am

definitely a cookie, and a donut, ok, all of them!

I don't really eat salads unless we're going out to dinner and then I just go for the balsamic vinegar for dressing. I'm boring.

my grocery staples are black beans, pasta, spinach, and CHEESE!

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef June 3, 2011 at 6:49 am

salad dressing: i looooove ranch but lately have been getting into vinaigrette. i made a dijon mustard vinaigrette last week that was fabulous! i also like using salsa. and guac. :)

we don't have costco but we do have sam's. i always get spinach, bananas, milk, and dried fruit there. sometimes other fruits, just depends. :)

donut, cupcake, cookie, churro. now i'm hungry again!

Michael Smith June 3, 2011 at 6:54 am

Salsa is my go-to salad dressing. It brings a ton of flavor to the party without bringing along much in the way of fat or calories.

101Sprinkles June 3, 2011 at 6:57 am

Weekly grocery staples: Bananas, apples, raisins, carrots, tuna & yogurt!!
Cookie 1st, Cupcake 2nd, Churro 3rd, Dounut 4th!

theAlmostRunner June 3, 2011 at 7:03 am

Congrats on your wins, Billy! And my dad and I ALWAYS watch Wheel of Fortune when I'm home. I AM A BEAST. Your mom and I should probably have a match up. : )

Emily @ Sweating Sugar June 3, 2011 at 7:06 am

If I am being good, my favorite salad dressing is the lite honey mustard. If I am being bad, I love me some blue cheese.

MotherRunner June 3, 2011 at 7:07 am

Cookie, Donut, Churro, Cupcake. Not a huge cake girl. (It's OK if you want to block me from your blog.)

BDD June 3, 2011 at 7:10 am

CHURRO!!!!

Lindsey@arunningtale June 3, 2011 at 7:11 am

Hummus is my new favorite salad "dressing" my default is balsamic vinegarette.

Costco staples – spinach, berries, cherry tomatoes, mini cucumbers, hummus, chicken/shrimp – we rotate and peanut butter!

Cookie (like the Costco kind!), cupcake (might beat cookie if its PB flavor), donut, churro – churro is only last because I have never had one?!

Stephanie June 3, 2011 at 7:23 am

For salad dressing I love Annie’s Goddess dressing but we rarely have it because not only is it super high in calories it’s also extremely expensive (in my opinion). Our weekly grocery staples are lots of fruits and veggies (always bananas), eggs, milk, bread and lunch meat. Looking at that I realize we are extremely boring and predictable, but I’m ok with that. I ALWAYS go for the cupcake first. I love donuts but rarely ever have them, I’m just not in the mood for that much sugar in the morning and in the afternoons when I see donuts I’m always like “wait aren’t those for breakfast”. I love fresh cookies but only if they are made by my mom, because absolutely no one’s cookies are better than hers (again my opinion). As for churro’s I’ve not only never had one I have also never been to Disneyland.

Julia June 3, 2011 at 7:26 am

i really love raspberry walnut vinaigrette…seriously my favorite.

Grocery staples: apples, oranges, bananas, 2 gallons of milk. Um yeah…I drink a lot of milk :)

Can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!!!!!

Britt June 3, 2011 at 7:31 am

Your little peanut of a niece is so adorable, and she melts my heart every time I see her pictures! I think she is my favorite part of your blog.

Tri-Living...Together June 3, 2011 at 7:35 am

Just so you know, I can't go to Costco and not think of you now..Staples. Organic spinach, avocados, organic apples(they have the best prices) fish, organic chick broth.(mamarunsbarefoot)

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries June 3, 2011 at 7:36 am

I use hummus or lemon juice/olive oil/salt for dressing, yum!!

Grocery staples: almond milk, PB, ezekiel bread, bananas, chickpeas…I could go on and on!

CHURRO! I love churros :)

Kattrina June 3, 2011 at 7:38 am

I don't usually use salad dressing, but if the salad is really blah then I'll put some olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it.

Grocery staples: orange juice, yogurt, sandwich thins, tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, chocolate, vodka sauce.

Favorite food: cupcake definitely, love myself a cupcake. I ate churros on a daily basis while I was working in Mexico City for a summer. Tasting as anything, but ruined my taste for an American churro. Nothing beats a Mexican churro bought fresh off the street. Yum in my tum.

Char June 3, 2011 at 7:52 am

Salad dressing lately has been olive oil and balsamic vinegar – but I totally hear ya on the guac thing!

Weekly grocery staples, right now, are whats on sale in the produce department (yay!) and usually beans annnnnnd…I don't have a grocery routine really – fail!

I'd for sure go cupcake/cake…I love it!

Ann June 3, 2011 at 7:54 am

I usually use hummus, but sometimes salsa. If I have a salad with roasted sweet potatoes or squash, I use ketchup!

Weekly grocery staples are bananas, apples, spinach and almond milk. Those are the things I'm constantly running out of.

I guess I'd say churro. I tried a bite of my brother's at Costco recently and it was pretty delicious!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 3, 2011 at 8:00 am

Bahaha that picture of Billy and the giant teddy is priceless…

I love hummus and tahini as dressing, and sometimes soy sauce lol.

Every shopping trip includes sweet potatoes, carrots, soy milk, eggs and apples.

Of course fresh cookie first!! And then chocolate cupcake, churro and donut last (not a fan :( )

Alisa June 3, 2011 at 8:03 am

I use Trader Joe's cesaer romano dressing when at home. I could drink that stuff. When I'm out at restaurants I usually get the vinaigrette or ranch on with a cobb salad.

I love cake. That takes the top three spots then everything just falls below that. And it has to be cake. Cupcakes are just cheap imitation of cake.

Christina June 3, 2011 at 8:06 am

I rarely use salad dressing… I like cottage cheese or salsa on my salads usually. Sometimes a lil olive oil and balsamic.

I love Costco! The samples are the best. It's the only time I'll go grocery shopping hungry haha

I've never had a churro… I don't even know where I'd find them in Boston. I love cupcakes and cookies though :)

MrsQ318 June 3, 2011 at 8:13 am

Cupcake (with sweet, but not too sweet frosting), donut (from Voo Doo Doughnuts in Oregon, please!), cookie (homemade chocolate chip with just the right amount of chocolate and the perfect crisp to soft ratio), and then churro.

Wow… this sugar-free thing really is getting to me. LOL

evamadera June 3, 2011 at 8:16 am

We always get milk, eggs and pb from Costco…everything else changes from week to week…love it though :D

I would love to visit your Costco sometime…I think they give out way more samples than mine.

Kat June 3, 2011 at 8:41 am

I am a weirdo and I eat salad plain..

Grapes and green beans at Costco are a must!!

Cupcakes all the way :)

Lindie June 3, 2011 at 9:04 am

My goodness,everyones dressings of choice are so healthy! I love blue cheese dressing on my salads.. Close second is balsamic!

Weekly Costco staples are… Mozzarella cheese.. Milk.. Squaw Bread.. Lettuce.. Tomatoes.. Avocados, bananas, turkey or ham.. And crystal light!

Fresh cookie for sure would be my #1… then cupcake, mostly for the frosting.. Donut from seaside donuts in Newport… Then churro!

Coy Martinez June 3, 2011 at 9:09 am

Hmmm, weekly grocery staple?? Those wheat bread thin things. Oh, and bananas!!

Those chicken skewers look mighty fine!

Elle June 3, 2011 at 9:11 am

Love Costco… and those bears!

logan osterhout June 3, 2011 at 9:13 am

I love the free samples. My costco had samples for warm and gooey chocolate chip cookies last week and I grabbed like ten. I use a mixture of salsa, olive oil, and hummus for salads. Annies goddess dressing is also really good. A few weekly staples are justins hazelnut butter, chocolate milk, oatmeal, milk, fish, eggs, hummus, and almonds. And nothing beats a fresh warm chocolate chip cookie in my opinion

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 3, 2011 at 9:13 am

Cupcake FROSTING!! Or a fresh cookie :) I am so glad billster kicked butt, and I hope you buy me one of those giant bears for my birthdayyy:)

Runners Fuel June 3, 2011 at 9:14 am

Your dinner looks amazing!!

Neon Blonde Runner June 3, 2011 at 9:15 am

I really love the soft-serve from costco, it's delicious!!

Missy June 3, 2011 at 9:18 am

You totally crack me up with your Costco trips! My wish is for one day to be able to go to Costco with you and experience all the craziness! Love it!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 3, 2011 at 9:50 am

gimme that fresh cookie right out of the oven! Then, I'd probably take a cupcake, then a donut, then a churro. maybe it's just been a while since having a good churro. ;)

aaand I'm thinking I need to switch my membership from Sams Club to Costco?

Rachelle Wardle June 3, 2011 at 10:00 am

Yum those chicken skewers look amazing. I am still figuring out a way to become a part of your family. Maybe when your nephew is 18 we can get married. :)

Grocery staples are yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit snacks, and granola bars. (I promise I am not 5 years old.)

Love ya girl! Have a great day.

Elle June 3, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love Costco, my first trip was a few weekends ago and it was fun! I kept thinking of you lol.

I love salsa as a dressing!

Grocery staples include bananas, bagel thins, milk, chobani yogurt, and fresh berries

I'm a cookie girl all the way!

Spencer Family June 3, 2011 at 10:54 am

We love Costco. Did you know if you stop by the bakery with kids and ask for a 'cookies for kids' they will give you a cookie. That's how I bribe my son to go there all the time.

Our Costco staples are apples, yogurt, bell peppers, cheese (2 blocks at a time), and hummus. (also 2 tubs at a time). Next time I'm going to get the tabouli you keep suggesting! :)

Kristy June 3, 2011 at 11:01 am

Cofession- I have NO idea what a churro is.

cleaneatingchelsey.com June 3, 2011 at 11:11 am

Did you know today is national donut day!?!? It's true!

At Costco, I alwasy get spinach, hummus, orange juice, apples, pears, potato chips, chicken, and beef (the two latter obviously for the husband).

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed June 3, 2011 at 11:37 am

My 3 year old with fight a costco employee for some more crab spread on a cracker.

Emily @ eat.drink.run. June 3, 2011 at 11:37 am

i love costco!! i'd never let my mom go without me when i lived at home. i still get a little offended when she goes without me now, and we live in different states!!

i'd say cupcake first and then donuts and churros tie for second. what are these maple bars i've heard so much about? we don't have them in new england!!

sugarcoatedsisters.com June 3, 2011 at 11:42 am

I'm actually headed to Costco today! Can't get a better deal than their 3 LB bag of spinach!!! Me and my family go through it in less than a week most times. And their banana deal is so great too – I'm sad they didn't have bananas for you, hopefully you find a good deal somewhere else ;)

hauterunningmama June 3, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Love salsa as dressing! Otherwise olive oil and vinegar.

Costco staples: chicken broth, spinach, english cucumbers, blueberries, bananas, avocados, ground turkey, almond milk, antioxidant blend of dried fruit, smartwater. Love that costco is carrying more organic products. We buy most of ours at a local farmers market but Costco is a much better deal!

Cupcakes all the way!!! I do love Disney churros and disney ice cream sandwiches! Oh, they are soooo good! Ok, going to get one when we are there Monday. I don't know why but I am not a donut person so they are last.

Lindsay and James Cotter June 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm

hummus, guac, ketchup, salsa. those are my dressings. We think alike. And I my hubs would get along great with your niece. THey love their churros!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm

salsa and hummus are my dressings!

Costco: berries, spinach, yogurt, almonds, cucumbers, turkey, almond milk, quinoa!

Dorry June 3, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Fresh cookie! I love cupcakes, too. I love that Billy plays baseball. So cute. I had a similar looking salad last night for dinner! Skewers and everything…with the best basil vinaigrette salad dressing ever!

Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I think my most common grocery staple has to be nut butter! Also: oats, almond milk, bananas, berries, mangoes, cocoa powder! Basically everything I need for my daily breakfast of overnight oats :)

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner June 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love Costco yummies! We used to go every Sunday after church for shopping. My mom would drop me off at the restaurant portion of the store with my little brother and sister, and I got to be in charge of buying us lunch and then (obviously) dessert while mom shopped. I abused my power and made everyone share with me. The churros are so delicious!
Weekly staples: grapes, strawberries, sweet potatoes, oats, greek yogurt, peanut butter, spinach. I think I could live off of those things!

BeePieRuns June 3, 2011 at 1:34 pm

We just got a Costco membership (yippee!!) and I have been searching and searching for those big bags of broccoli I always see in your pictures. No luck so far, but I have been buying spinach, eggs and milk every time I go (and cheeeeeese!)

kbsiopexperience June 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I like making my own salad dressing, but it goes bad too fast usually, or I feel like I have to constantly use it then so it doesn't. From Costco I get frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, tortillas, spinach, baby carrots, frozen chicken, eggs..*thinks* oh, multi-vitamins once a year since the container is huge, and their Claritin has 365 tablets; no allergies for a year, ha.
Oh and question…Why do you always call frozen yogurt ice cream? Just wondering..

lovesweatandbeers June 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I wish I could find an excuse to gobble samples at Costco! Have a great weekend!

Oh… and I'm a cookie gal. :)

Candice @ I Have Run June 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm

LOVE Costco samples. And they work. I always end up buying what they are sampling. And their churros are the BEST!!

Have a great weekend!

Kristi June 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I'm loving bbq and ranch right now. I also like guacamole and salsa.

Pictures Of Kim Kardashian In A Bikini July 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I just added this website to my google reader, excellent stuff. Cannot get enough!

how to stop snoring July 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I just added this website to my feed reader, excellent stuff. Cannot get enough!