Recovery Lessons – People First.

April 25, 2011

I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason.

We are supposed to take our trials and learn and grow from them and try to become a little wiser (is that even a word?).

There is a reason I got a stress fracture (besides giving Kara and Desiree a chance to win Boston).

Basically, I am trying to learn everything I possibly can from this situation as fast as possible so I can get back out there pounding the pavement or enjoying a date with my beautiful treadmill (that taunts me every time I walk by it).

One important thing that I am learning is that people come first.

We usually leave family dinner on Sunday nights at 8 o’clock sharp so that I can get home, blog, make lunch and get ready for bedtime at 9:30, nothing was allowed to break this routine (yes-I know motherhood is going to kill me off one day).

But last night was another story…….. we were obviously having a lot of fun with out of state family.

As it got later and later I started to feel more and more anxious about the situation. “If I don’t go to bed now there is no way I will be able to get up in time for spin and my favorite abs class.”  I started to freak out about-heaven forbid-missing my beloved spin class.

I had to CHOOSE to stop being so anxious about such a silly thing and remember that there is nothing in this world more important than our relationship with God, our family, friends and even strangers.

It was kind of a wake up call for me.  As much as I love working out and running, it just can’t be my top priority because what happens when you can’t do it anymore. God and our families are ALWAYS there for us no matter what.

I don’t want to be on 108 years old on my death bed thinking about how I skipped out on amazing memories with people because I had to get a workout in.

So, I stayed up laughing, missed spin and rolled out of bed at 7 for an abs class where I wanted to throw my tennis shoe at the instructor because she was trying to start my abs on fire and make them fall off.

Photo on 2011 04 25 at 15 32  2

Yes, this is the exact same shirt and hair from yesterday……..hopefully, I never have to learn the lessons about hygiene, that would be a tough pill to swallow.

Dear God, look at how mature I am getting……I think that this means that my femur should be good to go by the end of the week right.  K thanks.

———————————————————————————————

Do you deal with Anxiety?  Over what?

-I am getting a little better but exercise, being late, work, getting enough sleep (i used to bawl for hours in Jr. High if I couldn’t fall asleep by 9) and school (in the past) really cause me a lot of anxiety. I am trying my hardest to calm down and choose a new perspective on the situation.

What was a hard thing that happened in the past that you can look back on now and realize that it may have happened for a reason?

-A BIG one for me was a break-up RIGHT before I met Billster……..um, yeah things definitely happen for a reason:)

How many hours of sleep is ideal for you? How many do you usually get?

-EIGHT, um eight:)

XLMIC April 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm

You are growing up ;-)

What happened to my kids. Hardest thing ever, almost imaginable. I know it happened for a reason… I still wish it hadn't happened.

I need about 9 hours and I usually get about 6… that motherhood thing ;-)

Anonymous April 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Definitely a good lesson to learn, when you start putting exercise before other things then it's really not healthy anymore. No more injuries! I think it's great that you're turning this into a positive learning experience. Some people would just think it was bad luck that they got injured and not take anything from it, but it seems like you understand why this happened and will make positive changes because of it. Keep it up! And I love your butterfly shirt!

Carri April 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Aaahhh….I never have the problem of skipping a workout….been on track lately though! Hope u keep enjoying God, family, and friends!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) April 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I get anxious about school, my future, and money.

I need at least 8 hours of sleep and 9 if I'm running a lot.

cleaneatingchelsey.com April 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I have anxiety too over situations like my routine. I have gotten so much better recently. Thank you so much for opening up about this! It makes me love you more! As if that could even happen?

ShutUpandRun April 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm

So many things I look back on and see the big picture now. Too many to count. Miscarriages, break ups, injuries. You name it. It all brought me to this point today that is just perfect as it is.

runningthedawn.com April 25, 2011 at 6:04 pm

good for you!!!

i struggle with it too…but i feel like this semester, with my new job responsibilities, i've had to relax my grip on control. for me, that has meant less blogging, less running, and less sleeping. not a great combination, but its amazing how even in less than ideal situations, there is joy to be lived.

i'm glad your finding the joy!!!

Sherri April 25, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Amen, sister! I always worry about fitting everything in and I also fight guilt about missing time with my family in favour of exercise. But I also remember that if I'm unhealthy I'll be unhappy and that's not good for anyone either.

It's all about making moments count and trying to be present. Another struggle, but at least we can work at it right!

Wishing you good luck with the femur! I feel your pain, just got over an ankle injury that had me run-less for 2 months :( You will survive I promise!

Alison April 25, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Can you send some of that anxiety my way? Right now I am trying to retrain myself that 2am is not a reasonable bed time. I am a night owl, and even though I ALWAYS regret it in the morning (over sleeping, running around like a mad person, feeling so groggy), I can't seem to learn. I've been like this my whole life…I really don't know what I would be like if I was well rested on a usual basis, but I would like to give it a try!

Chels April 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Sounds just like me. I always tend to put my working out and healthy eating in front of others. When Craig and I first moved in, I was becoming pretty obbessed with my running and I realized that going to bed by 8:30 just to get in a good run the next morning was causing me to miss out on time with him at night. I have always had a bad habit of putting unimportant events in front of the important ones, I just tell myself the gym will always be there weather it be at 4:30 in the morning or the next day.
I read a really good article titled "The Race Not Run," about a guy who put running in front of God. It really makes you think, I printed it off, here is the link if you want to check it out
http://fcaresources.com/devotional/2011/03/18/race-not-run and stamped it to my wall as a good reminder.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner April 25, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I get anxious over a lot of stuff–I hate being late, or not being able to exercise. And I need my 8 hours! 7 1/2 will do, but 7 or less and I can really tell a difference. :)

Lisa Staples April 25, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I really needed this post. My husband and family beg for me to stay up late sometimes and I'm ussually always turning them down cause I gotta get up at 4:30AM to go running. While running is one of my priorities, it ISN'T my top priority. My family will ALWAYS come first. Thanks for the reminder! It's okay to skip a work. lol

runyogarepeat April 25, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Your attitude is awesome! Easter only comes once a year, and it should be spent with your family & friends without worrying about exercise. I actually wrote about this yesterday. I'd rather miss the occasional workout if I get to spend time with those I love & be happy.
I need probably 8 hours, but lately, I've only been getting 6-7. Heading to bed early tonight!

Chelsea J Raynes April 25, 2011 at 7:11 pm

You aren't the only one who hygiene sucks! Glad you enjoyed your time with out workout anxiety. I have really been struggling with anxiety. It gets me very excited and full of energy and usually leaves sleepless. The hardest thing I can look back on that made me grow was when I was 16 my family moved from Southern California to No Where Virginia. It really helped me to deal with change better. I have to sleep at least 8 hours a night and I always get 8-9.

MotherRunner April 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I need at least eight hours for sure… The first year with my twins nearly did me in.

And oh my gosh, I also have been getting taunted by an inanimate object – my running shoes. :( So sad… I just want to wear them in all of their fancy purple glory. Hoping for good news from my doc and yours darling!

Zaneta April 25, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I love this post… isn't it awesome that we are continuously being taught God's lessons and learning things he wants us to learn… all in his timing :)

He's a great God! :)

**BIG HUGS TO YOU**

littleracer April 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Just want to say I LOVE your blog! You're posts make my day…ha….goes to show you how exciting my life is, huh?

I get really anxious about working out and getting in my milage for the week. I feel that if I don't I'll jinx myself in the next race because I was slacking. I also am like you in that I HAVE to be in bed before 10 or else I get anxious that I won't have enough sleep to go off of for the next day. School work…welll who's not anxious about school work?

Have a good night!

indecisiveathlete April 25, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I don't deal with anxiety well. I've gotten a tiny tiny bit better over time but I like routine and doing things my way and things going according to my plan and when that gets thrown off I get grumpy. Or freak out.

I think getting severe achilles tendinitis was an act of God. I had been going thru a lot of struggles (ED) and then my whole life got thrown off and I couldn't really do a whole lot of exercising. I finally started to gain weight and I am def in a better place now than I was (altho I admit I still struggle).

I hope your femur gets better ASAP!!!

Lauren the Invincible April 25, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Anxiety is the WORST. I used to feel like that every sunday as well until I did exposure therapy. No work done on sundays, and do my best to exercise, but if I couldn't…I probably had a better time doing what I was doing!

Your 20's are all about figuring that stuff out! Props to you.

Lisa {eatprayrun-lisa.blogspot.com} April 25, 2011 at 8:08 pm

oh goodness, your comment about crying when you couldn't get to sleep by 9pm reminded me of how rediculous i used to be about a morning schedule i made for myself in junior high (with colored illustrations, i might add). i had everything i needed to do in the morning planned down to the minute. 6:45 wake up, 6:46 pee, 6:47 brush teeth, 6:49 wash face…and ON AND ON. i specifically remember missing my alarm one morning and FREAKING OUT that i was off schedule!! i remember feeling like i wasn't even sure how to get myself ready without being on my schedule. geez, type A much? wow, i haven't thought of that for a while. and, i'm still that way, to an extent. but, as i've gotten older and realized that i can't control everything (*sigh*), i've started to let some things go. but, as you can imagine from the above described story, i've dealt a lot with anxiety. i think regular exercise plays a huge part in my being able to handle stress in my life, so i'm sure that's something that's been hard for you too. although, for someone with an injury, you sure are able to get a LOT of excercise in!! ( : i'm not sure i could be that dedicated.

i need about 7-8, but lately have been getting more like 6. this blogging thing takes up some serious time! oh, and kids ( :

athletic chick April 25, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I've dealt with anxiety most of my life, often related to food and exercise. Like you, I'm learning to stay up later and enjoy time with friends and family since I can't train right now. Sleep – preferably 8 hours, but it's usually more like 6.

Sweat once a day April 25, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I get anxiety over being late or people being late. I get so worked up over it. Also school gets to me, I can get really. I anxious about having enough time to do all my assignments and readings. If I make a list it helps!

Dorry April 25, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I love this perspective, Janae! And agree that that God & family come first. It's OK for us to want to stick to routines in order to be productive, but flexibility is key in dealing with that anxiety that comes when things feel out of control. I'm proud of you for being so aware of this in your life! 8 hours is ideal for me, but I've been getting by on 7 lately…and trying to make up for it when I can sleep in a bit. :)

Caitlin April 25, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I have recently been getting better about anxiety, I used to be a month ahead in my school work all of the time but a I've been working on spreading things out a little more.
So proud of you beautiful girl! I've been staying up later too to spend time with people, it's hard in college so I'm still working on a balance but I've decided sometimes actually working to make friends is more important!

Samantha April 25, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Everything defintely happens for a reason. Love this post. Most recently I was about to move into an awesome apartment with a great price and then 6 days before moving day I was told I couldn't move-in (long story). I was really upset and really angry at the person and kept throwing myself a pitty party during those very anxious days. Magically, 3 days later an even better apartment fell into my lap. Everything happens for a reason and I look back and wished I would have stayed a little more calm during that situation.

Laura April 25, 2011 at 9:04 pm

You've got a great perspective on things!
I get anxious about work situations, lately it's been more frequent… I try to take a few deep breaths and look at photos of family / friends I have on my desk, and taking that little break to reflect on who and what is truly the most important to me is really helpful.
I need at least eight hours of sleep a night, otherwise I morph into a crazy, puffy-eyed woman :-D

thegypsycook April 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I so agree! I've been learning that lesson myself. Sometimes I think, why can't I be more like a "normal" person who doesn't care about working out as much? It's all about balance…

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I definitely struggle with anxiety about a lot of things. It runs in my family, and it sucks!

lovelymissanne April 25, 2011 at 9:32 pm

BEAUTIFUL POST! I am going through the same thing right now and girl it is tough. Keep your head up sunshine! <3

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 25, 2011 at 9:35 pm

This is SOSO true. I am guilty for being to anxious over exercise AND sleep. I live with my boyfriend, and if he tries to keep me awake the night before an early class, I'm always so angry and annoyed. But then I feel so guilty and want to change that habit, but this habit dies hard. I get so wrapped up in trying to be my healthiest and most active, but the occasional late night isn't going to kill me. And even if it does, I can always take a nap later!

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction April 25, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Anxiety- yes- mostly when my house is in an uproar and I can't get a handle on it! Anxiety over not knowing when i'll start really running again…which is why I love this post because it is so true…and sleep- I should be in bed now!!! I need at least 8 hours to function properly and nicely ;)!

Megan April 25, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for the post. I am glad I decided to go back to my grandparents and visit family on Easter Sunday rather than stay home and ride my bike. I was able to ride today, anyhow. Plus, I was able to enjoy some time with people I don't usually get to visit much.

Lu @ The Orange Spice Kitchen April 25, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I have yet to learn how to go to bed early. It's like it's physically impossible for me to do. However, I follow a schedule too and I flip if it gets jacked with. I hope your femur is better.

Kristi April 26, 2011 at 12:37 am

Ohhhh… are you guys playing Bop It? I love that thing. I can see why you stayed up late. I get anxiety over just about anything. Getting to bed on time, being late… everything. I guess I need to learn to appreciate the moment instead of thinking what else I could be or should be doing.

Lizzi April 26, 2011 at 2:07 am

THANK YOU. This post is exactly what I needed to read today. I'm forever blowing people off for a run or a gym session or whatever, and it's seriously GOT TO STOP. I never want to look back on my life and only remember hours spent at the gym. It'd be such a tragedy to have no memories of fun times with friends, all because I was chained to a treadmill somewhere.
I do love working out, but it's important to strike a balance… It's tricky, but I'm workin' on it :)

fitchocoholic April 26, 2011 at 3:31 am

Wonderful post!!!! :D
I definitely have anxiety issues…..about pretty much anything that doesn't work out according to the original plan. "flexibility" apparently isn't in my vocabulary right now…
Thanks for another great post, Janae!

carmen April 26, 2011 at 6:40 am

I think we are soul mates. I feel so much anxiety about the same things you do!! I'm SO routine-oriented and get super cranky/mad when things get in the way of my routine. You're right – PEOPLE FIRST! Thanks for this post. :)

Chunky Monkey April 26, 2011 at 6:44 am

Great decision to spend time with your fam. Hardest thing that ever happened to me was ripping the lining in my lung. At the time I worked out like a fein and traveled every other week…prob was my family was begining to resent that. It took me getting sick to realize I had to slow down and appreciate the many blessings in my life. Manage it now sista!

kellexplainsitall April 26, 2011 at 6:51 am

I'm the same exact way. I can't tell you how many outings with friends or family I've missed because it was too late or too many calories or something else ridiculous. It's taken me a long time to realize that if I "only" get 7 hours of sleep, I'll probably survive the day :)
I also used to be crazy about school. When I was in college, the book I needed was checked out of the library so I had a breakdown crying and panicking. Um, the paper wasn't due for six weeks. Certifiably crazy but I like to think I have calmed down a bit!

Christina April 26, 2011 at 7:15 am

It's a very good lesson.

I get anxiety about sleep too. I just feel like I never get enough anymore. I NEED 8-9 hours a night to feel refreshed.

Jen April 26, 2011 at 11:23 am

I love what you are learning. I need to start looking for my own lessons.
I need 8 hours of sleep, and usually get 7. But sometimes I get a nap so I can't complain.
Love ya and hope you're doing well!

LindsLovesMiles April 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

I get very anxious about exercise too. My injury put that in perspective for me too and I'm thankful for that.

inhaleexhalerepeat April 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I have major anxiety problems – if there is something to worry about, I generally do. Most of the time, it centers around money but also friends, significant others, exercise (where I'm going to fit it in since I don't make it my #1 priority like I should). It's definitely something I'm trying to work on and improve. Worrying is so unhealthy!

I need 9 hours of sleep unfortunately, I keep hoping I can survive on less but it just doesn't work. I typically get 6-7 and it drains me completely.

Holly April 26, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I have anxiety about exercise & making sure that I get enough sleep at night. I also work out in the morning & am up by 5am everyday..so I like to make sure that I am well rested. I like to be in bed by 9pm…but sometimes life likes to make twists & turns that we just don't foresee…
family time is SO worth it though :)
Thanks for posting this!! It's so important to remember, like you said, that in 100 years what do we want to remember? That we got up & made super sure to get in our exercise without fail every morning or that we spent so much quality time with our family….
I'm going with the last part ;)

runningonwords April 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I'm anxious about everything all the time! I actually have really bad social anxiety, which makes me struggle to not get anxious whenever I leave blog comments or post on Twitter. I guess the internet is good for me.

I need 8 hours of sleep. 10 is better, but I can usually only squeeze in 8. Less than 8 makes me a little stabby.

Life's Lyrics April 26, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I have anxiety over many of the same things! I am generally an anxious person and can get worked up over VERY tiny things. Now that I am teaching and work out in the mornings, I really freak out if I am not in bed early. Also, I worry about realationships, my "to do" list, and just about anything I can think of! However, I am trying to learn to surrender this worry to Him, because it really does hurt my relationships and my personal life!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail April 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Such a positive outlook Janae! You continue to inspire regardless of whether you beat Desiree or Kara! Memories with loved ones truly are what we will hold onto.

Thank you for being BEAUTIFUL YOU! I am praying that God answers your prayers and continues to heal that femur. In the meantime, we still all love reading your thoughts!!

Natalie April 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm

a few days late on my comment here but thank you for sharing this…i fall into the trap of putting less-important things (like my workout schedule and to do list) before the people that mean the world to me…it's a terrible habit! you are so so right though–i just need to CHOOSE correctly :)

FitMindBody May 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I am happy with anything over 7. I have 3 kids. The youngest two sometimes wake dutring the night. It usually ends up being 6 hours and 47 minutes when I set my alarm for a 5am run 3 days a week.