Friday Favorites.

March 4, 2011

Today is the most special day of the week.  I tell you about my favorite things, no work for two days and calories don’t count from Friday at 4 pm until Monday at 6 am. (one of the many things I learned from my college nutrition classes).

My Six Favorite Things Today

1.  I have said goodbye to oatmeal.  Why: 1. We are out.  2. I need the maximum amount of nutrients first thing after a workout so that I can eat candy the rest of the day.

Put into the magic bullet: Vanilla Protein Powder (so good, you can buy it on my gear page here),  chocolate milk, glutamine (also on gear page), a million frozen berries (hello antioxidants).  I was FULL after eating this and my muscles quickly got to work repairing themselves and getting stronger!!

Photo on 2011-03-04 at 10.55.jpg

I put my smoothie in my hot chocolate mug and it kept it very cold.  Win-Win-WIn.

2.  Costco.  This is a weekly favorite.  I think Billy and I might go there for a date tonight.  Dinner=Samples (we bring different hats so that we can hit up each table 9 times).

The End 33.jpg

This is my bro-in-law riding a bike around the store, we had to try them out.  As you can tell we always have a good time at Costco.

3.  Scoo Scoo.  I drive our car to work and Billy drives our scooter to school.  Yes, I am a bad wife and my husband is forced to ride a scooter in 10 degree weather to school everyday.  Now that it is getting a tad bit warmer, I am going to start riding the scooter.  Like today, but only after I give her a good wash and waxing and install the new pink basket I bought it (sorry Billy it is for function).  Life is always better when ridden on a scooter and be prepared to hear many of our scooter adventures.

GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

4.  Mis Madre y Mis Hermana….they are always a Friday Favorite though:)

IMG_3459.JPG

5.  When I woke up this morning I was thinking about how much happier I have been this winter compared to last and then I remembered it is because our heater works.  Last winter our heater was broken and this is actual evidence from my bathroom of the ice that formed because it was so cold inside.  I don’t know how I survived.

IMG_1887.JPG

6. And the bestest part of my friday that makes me smile and oh so happy………(Yes, that is me in the picture below on the left……I used to go outside every now and then and get some skin pigmentation)

DSCN0720.JPG

A student told me today I inspired him to quit his Mt. Dew addiction and start running everyday.  He said he hated running at first but is now loving it and he already took 2 minutes off of his mile time.  I DIED……um, it was the best thing ever.

—————————————————————————————-

What are some of your FAVORITE THINGS THIS WEEK?

-I love hearing about the positive/favoritest things that are going on in your lives!!!!

What are your Friday night plans?

-I just texted Billy that he is taking me to Coldstone (gift card baby) after we hit up Costco and then watching the office on Hulu.

Do you eat the samples at Costco and other grocery stores?  What are your favorite samples?

-I love when Costco has ravioli, pita chips and hummus and chocolate covered almonds as samples.

Rose March 4, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I spend most of my time with my mom trying to convince her to move closer to me.

Mallory March 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I love your favorite things!! Those are awesome, especially where you inspired the kiddo to kick the dew! Great job!!

Some of my favorites… Mix-1 Protein drinks… I got some free samples and had one after my session at the gym today and it was GREAT! (Although I do think I need to get back to making my own smoothies. Yum!)

Tonight is a boring night. I went to the gym after work then showered and now I'm being lazy on the couch because I don't feel good and my spouse works until 9. I am about to make my dinner. Living it up. :)

Amber @ Betty Meets Jane March 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Oh no I dont want to say good bye to my oatmeal I bought a 36 pack. Ill add some super protein!

Laurie March 4, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I always though that weekend calories didn't count… good to know it wasn't just a rumor. :) I'm a big fan of Costco samples. Sometimes I'll take my kids at lunchtime and we're good for the rest of the day.

fitchocoholic March 4, 2011 at 5:20 pm

We're hanging out at home tonight…..next week there's no school here so we're gonna watch movies and have family time!!! =D

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm

That is SO AMAZING that you turned that boy's life around!! Awww I love that you are such an inspiration to SO MANY PEOPLE!!

And I just posted my Friday Faves too!! :D

Corey @ the runners cookie March 4, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Yay for Fridays!! What a sweet thing your student said to you – must be amazing to have that kind of impact on young people! Hehe you and Billy really know how to take advantage of those free samples. My favorite thing this week is having chocolate with breakfast :)

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston March 4, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Wow what an amazing thing to have your student say to you / change his actions to healthier ones!

JC March 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm

friday night favorite: Yankees v Red Sox spring training NIGHT GAME! I'm so exited! go Yanks!

I also got a sweet note this week! A friend texted me that he didn't know if he should hate me or thank me but my constant facebook posts about running inspired him to sign up for his first 5k Warrior Dash! WOO HOO!!! – we are inspirational! :)

Mamarunsbarefoot March 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm

You are cracking me up with Costco!!!!!!

Nicole March 4, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I got new running shoes today and some gu and a new running vest and im pretty much the happiest girl in the whole entire world!

hungry-dancer.com March 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm

My favorite things this friday are: YOU!!, my new top, cheese, coffee, and I could keep going, but I'll stop!!

Tonight I am just dancing my bootay off!! Always a blasty!

Costco is sample heaven..how could I not like it???

XLMIC March 4, 2011 at 5:30 pm

LOL… I LOVE that your BIL is riding a bike around IN Costco! I want to do that! My kids would flip with excitement! Our Costco is usually mobbed, though :( And that scooter pic of you two is great! Scooters remind me of my trips to Europe. Ahhhhh, memories….. I'll bet your mom feels so much the same about YOU! What a loving family you have :)

Fave things this week: coming up are two of my kids' birthdays and just passed was my anniversary… lots of celebrating! My hip is doing really, really well… yay! New supplements in my life are making it so much easier to be ME! Finally!

Friday night plans: YES! woo hoo! we have a sitter (my mom) and are going out to celebrate our anniversary. I have no idea what we will do. We never go out anymore so I am out of practice figuring out what to do :P

No samples for me. But my kids and stepkids are all over the samples!

Katy March 4, 2011 at 5:30 pm

How amazing to hear that! You go girl!! I'm looking forward to these scooter adventures!!

RoseRunner March 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm

The 9-hat scandal is hilarious. So brilliant. I used to get so nervous as a kid that the sample-ladies would get mad at me, and would sleuth-ily take off my jacket and come back and hope they didn't recognize me.

Nowadays I just say "hi! that was sooo good, I'm back for another!"

A sample is a sample is a sample — they are all delish. I don't discriminate. Free food tastes better than all other foods

Laura @ Meet Virginia March 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm

You guys have a scooter?! That is SO cool!

Geneviève March 4, 2011 at 5:39 pm

A scooter!?!? So COOL! You get absolutely more fun with with every single post!! Have a wonderful Friday night!

marathonmaiden March 4, 2011 at 5:41 pm

no oatmeal?! ummmmmmmm i don't think i can read your blog anymore ;)

my plans to have some girlie de-stress time! cannot wait :)

untilyoutri March 4, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I did a Friday favorite post today, too!:) (Imitation is the best for of flattery, right??) It was animal themed (and there are cute puppy videos:)!

Also…if you want to get REALLY crazy–sometimes I put some oats in my smoothie. They get all chopped up in the blender so you don't even really notice them, but they add a little more grains/thickness to the smoothie and it makes a little more filling (although it sounds like you didn't have that problem:).

Tonight I'm going to meet up with my girlfriends and eat CHEESECAKE FACTORY cheesecake…*drool*!:)

Liz March 4, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I just met my mom for ColdStone! Strawberry banana mango sorbet with graham cracker and rainbow sprinkles :)

drkgood March 4, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I can't believe you have a scooter. That is awesome!!

What about adding your protein and berries and everything to the oatmeal? It was in the nutrition guide for Insanity, and I still eat it pretty often. I get chocolate protein powder, and it's like eating a chocolate oatmeal cookie.

We don't have Costco. We only have Sam's Club, and I won't go anywhere near a Walmart.

EBURNS March 4, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Favorites of the week: Made, took, and ate dinner with a friend that just had a baby. Fun times, plus I loved planning the menu, and food prep.
Had to give boy advice to one of my favorite students. I like feeling like the wise older sister. Lastly, thanks to you I have not weighed myself since your scale post……love it!

at the beginning of this school year I broke up with cereal like you are doing with oatmeal. Happy I did it, food relationships are fluid just like real relationships and sometimes it is just time to move on!

Friday plans: just finished a great run. having egg sandwiches and spinach salad for dinner, and some sort of sweet treat for sure.

Happy Friday.

Mary March 4, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I can't believe the ice in your bathroom! You are so much stronger than I could ever be.

I used to be a sample whore, but then all of a sudden one day they started eeking me out & now all I think about are the 40 unwashed hands that got one before me…that doesn't apply to dessert items though.

Also, that story about your student is so great!! I can't believe he's the first one!

giraffy March 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I just did a picture-heavy post about all of my favorite things this week (http://365awesomedays.blogspot.com/2011/03/happiness-is.html) :D

My baby cousin (okay, she's 18) is coming over and my BFF and we're making enchiladas… YUM!

I love love costco and it's samples. SO much. The pita chips and 7 layer dip are my faves. And some coffee mocha icee thing. Awesome.

Happy weekend!

trisha*n March 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I don't think I could ever say goodbye to oatmeal! But that is super awesome that your student quit mountain dew. So cool!

Danielle March 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Love protein powder, it's how I survive after my runs. mine are just glutamine, protein powder and water. My oatmeal is eaten loaded with raspberries every morning… I also have egg whites.

That is awesome your student quit the DEW and is running!

It is just a normal weekend, hanging out with family and a long run…

Angie March 4, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I feel creepy admitting this but here goes….

So I just noticed that my desktop background was a picture of Billy and huge pile of socks.. I'm majorly confused… Perhaps on the cats changed it?? LOL! Just thought I would share, I'm not trying to steal your man, I already changed it back to a picture of my puppy. :) Don't hate me, I didn't mean to!!

Angie

runningonwords March 4, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I love grocery store samples! Sam's Club was always Sunday lunch growing up.

That's awesome that your student is responding to your example. Congrats!

Carrie March 4, 2011 at 6:11 pm

We don't have a Costco where I live…hmph! I wish we did so I could enjoy this goodness!
Friday plans? Vegging out on the couch and watching some mindless TV…it's been a hard week! haha!
Eat some Coldstone for me!

Samantha @ Mama Notes March 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm

We totally eat lunch on costco days by hitting up the samples! Best thing ever.

I have to to work tonight, booo.

ShortSkirts March 4, 2011 at 6:22 pm

i love wandering around PIke's Place market so many free samples, from Salmon jerky, to chocolate covered cherries, fresh fruit, and chocolate pasta!

Marisa March 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm

My mom and I absolutly love Costco! Unfortunatly when we moved from Arizona to Iowa, we also moved away from Costco. :[ I absolutly love their chocolate yogurt!(or is it icecream?)

Jogging with Fiction March 4, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I'm going to BJ's Wholesale tomorrow and totally taking pictures. You've inspired me! My favorite thing today is the iFit on our treadmill. I ran "to work" to see if I can do it in the warmer months. Verdict? Piece of cake!

Kelsey March 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm

the best samples are when they arent samples at all..like picking off grapes or trying out some of the bulk foods lol ;)

xoxo

Rick and Nikki March 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Confession: I blog-stalk you like no other. To the point that my husband can tell I'm reading your blog without even seeing my screen.

And if I lived near you I would probably leave weekly care packages on your doorstep with loads and loads of candy – forgive me if one of those bags is opened though ;-)
Plans tonight:
Running, making enchiladas tonight for the hubster because he is my favorite in the whole wide world, cake, The office, Greys Anatomy and Parks and Rec. You need to watch Parks and Rec – OMG. You would die it's so funny. Getting our weekly fix in one day.

Elizabeth March 4, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I saw on the news today that Costco is going to start selling wedding dresses! What can you NOT get there? Have fun, I love the samples.

aliruns March 4, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Unfortunately my Friday night plans are study, study, and more study!! But hopefully that will equal good grades on my test which will make me a very happy Ali!

My Friday favorite is that I just signed up for my second marathon!! I'm so excited that it has literally been the highlight of my week!! :)

Caitlin March 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I am RELAXING and getting ready to go to Florida tomorrow!!!!!!! And giving myself a pedicure =). My favorite thing this week has been getting my own dorm room and my new black cherry fruit spread! Have a great night!

pajamachef March 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

i wish i had a costco nearby….we just have sam's, not as good. :) tonight we picked up our taxes (fun i know) and then had junk food for dinner a la mcdonalds. :) hehe…but i had a smoothie and tons of veggies for lunch so it's okay!

Miranda March 4, 2011 at 7:23 pm

That is so great about inspiring the kid the stop his Dew addiction and start running, way to go!

Friday plans – taking care of a sick kiddo :(

I love samples, although here in KS we have Sam's Club not Costco, but I love when they have samples of their fruit so I can make sure its yummy before buying!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 4, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I'm going to Costco on Sunday – weeee!!! I'm so excited. I'm out of hummus, spinach, and berries. I need them all!

Tonight I made homemade pizza and now we're sitting on our butts in front of the TV.

Rene March 4, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Boring night tonight – doing HW so I can celebrate my hubby's 40th tomorrow. I'm also running a 5k tomorrow with my 8 and 15 yr old. I'm pretty sure the 8 yr old can kick my trash and I can't wait.
I love sample Saturday at Sam's. Any sample at all.
Favorite things: Rt 44 Diet DP from Sonic – it's my crack
Favorite moment this week – When picking up his new shoes at the running store my 8 yr old decided he wanted to do a tri. He's doing one in September.

Pam March 4, 2011 at 7:40 pm

You had ice INSIDE your house?! GIRL! If I had known you then I'd have MADE you come live in TN with me where we keep it a toasty 70 degrees inside! Brrrrrr!!!

My favorite thing from all week happened today: My younger sister told me she is starting the couch to 5K program!!!!!!! It made me ridiculously happy!

Maia March 4, 2011 at 7:42 pm

so great to hear about your student! a couple of my students asked if I would start a run club so that we can run together!! so heartwarming to know that we actually impact some students!!

Alexis March 4, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Show off the cute purse!

Also you should be a cross-country coach!

Olivia March 4, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Hahaha having a warm house definitely makes me happier too! I love Costco! (and getting like 5 samples at each station!) Love the notion that cals don't count for the entire weekend…I don't have to watch mine, but I definitely agree that everybody should live like that!

ktlhouse March 4, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Love your favorite things! I can totally picture having a blast at Costco! So sweet about your student and 2 minutes…wow! Hope you had a great Coldstone/Costco datenight!

Katie :)

Mel March 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I sample some stuff at Costcoif it's not too busy and it's something I may like. I definately don't hit up all tables or most even.

I'm glad this weekend is here! Tx independence relay for me! I've never done a distance relay like this before. Little excited, little scared, alot nervous!

BigHappyFamily March 4, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I would have totally rode a bike around costo. Absolutely. I do not, however, like to try much. They are always sampling crap. I don't need to add more crap to my diet. I need to add more quality.

Favorite things: The epic science fair projects are all done. Unfortunately, that also accounts for the "Friday night plans" … boo.

And tomorrow… watching the weather (rain), pick up packet, decide what to wear, and "do it". 1/2 on Sunday.

whatkateiscooking March 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm

That's such a sweet thing for your student to say to you! You definitely are an inspiration :)

Courtney March 4, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I MISS COSTCO! We have Sam's Club, but it's just not the same thing. :(

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail March 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm

You have to feel A-MA-ZING inspiring your student like that–you know this will impact him forever! I know you are the type of teacher students remember and want to visit post graduation.

I checked out your gear page which is very clever btw–if I use all of these, will I run a fast as you?! ;) Gah, I wish!

Tonight, with the hubs in AZ (season) I have a date with Brad and his lovely 3 remaining ladies! Have a fabulous Coldstone date night!!

kristensweetly March 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I had such a happening Friday. Grocery shopping with my mom (which put me in a good mood after a stupid work-week). A delicious mango. Watching the Bucket List (which wouldn't have been my choice, but wasn't bad).

And now bed, so I can be all ready for my weekend! I'm trying not to have a cold, and I have things to do. So sleep sounds just perfect. :-)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm

AHHH smoothies are the best!! Especially when in a hot chocolate mug obvs. Slash my friday plans were a super duper friday fun night at a restaurant with a new bestfriend and we got kicked out of the restaurant because we stayed so late hahaha

Tracy Simmons March 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I haven't been to Costco in years, I think I might need to make a trip. My fave smoothie is date and peanut butter!

Zaneta March 4, 2011 at 10:46 pm

love your favorites!!

That is AWESOME about your student telling you that you inspired him… that's priceless!! :)

Cory Reese March 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Bike picture = highly awesome.

I'd like to bear my testimony that you can have a Mountain Dew addiction AND run. (I know it's not good for me though, so don't tell your student it is possible.)

RunningOnCoffee March 4, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Umm…please post pictures of this scooter!

Favorite thing? I got through this week despite many frustrating events at work. It was a whole 5 days (wah, I know). Due to president's day, a furlough day, and 2 personal days, it's been a month since I had a 5-day week.

Tonight: grocery shopping, dog walk, made dinner (salmon, rice, asparagus).

Grocery store: I hit up the cheese samples at Wegmans tonight. Brie and 5-year aged Gouda.

Shannon March 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I lived without heat (when I lived in Laramie, WY) and I feel your pain, it's the most miserable experience ever! I seriously thought I was going to die! Glad you're warm now :)

Trying To Heal March 4, 2011 at 11:44 pm

haha…i used to ride bikes around walmart! bahaha!

Meg March 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm

today my favorite thing ever is that I ran 10 miles for the first time, and survived. I feel awesome.

Maria March 5, 2011 at 3:41 am

See I am a bit squeamish about samples as I always think about other people shands touching the food, plus I get paranoid that there is something not vegetarian in the food, so I dont tend to try samples! This week I got back to my high weights at body pump and it was great :)

Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots March 5, 2011 at 7:06 am

I am sooo jealous of your scooter i totally want to see a picture!!!

you are so cute :)

My friday… well, I went out with my friends for a bit then came back super early, ate too much cereal (good thing the calories don't count) and went to sleep. Except now it's 5 AM and I'm awake because my roommate is super loud and brought a boy back and whiel they didn't DO anything they still woke me up by coming in and now it just seems awkward, so clearly I'm on food blogs to kill some time.

Anyways that was more detail than you ever wanted about my life! ;)

n

JJK March 5, 2011 at 7:34 am

I just thought you would like to know….I was bored at work last night and read your blogs all the way back to like 2 months ago! YOU ROCK!!

Also I never ever thought anyone would be "obsessed" with anything I had to say! (Even if you didn't REALLY mean it thanks for saying it!!) Oh and also for the gorgeous comment!

I took a picture of my gummy bears and my oatmeal last night….haha I might be obsessed with taking pictures of my food now!

Lindsey March 5, 2011 at 8:35 am

Cute pictures! You sound exactly like me and my family in costco…eating tons of samples, and my cousins and I pushing each other around in the carts! Oh, and making race car noises while doing it!!

Unprofessional March 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

I LOVE costco! We just make laps around the samples, those ladies don't care at all!

Pleeeease leave me some "last 6 weeks of training advice" on my blog. In exchange, free food. I speak the truth, Janae. FREE FOOD! FREE BURRITO, at that!!!

unprofessionalrunner.blogspot.com

Shelly March 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Wow that bottom picture is sooo OLD! That was the weekend I met the in-laws for the first time! I love that my tongue is blue in it because we had just made a trip to the candy store. If I only knew how many times we'd do that in the future, I think I would've married Danny right then and there.

Page March 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You have to show us what clothes you got!!

Adrianna March 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm

i had some good work-outs this week, and for the most part my patients were very interesting and/or sweet as buttons.

tonight: concert! ra ra riot. havent heard much of them, but should be fun.

love me samples. i like any sweet/bakery goods best.

Kim March 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Just voted for you! Yay! I come here every day to have a good laugh and get motivated at the same time. Good luck!

ratherthecouch March 11, 2011 at 12:18 am

The guy that sits in the office next to me start running recently. He hasn't actually told me it was because of me, but I'm taking credit for it anyway. What a great feeling!