Traffic makes my stomach hurt

December 27, 2010

So what does one eat to restore those glycogen stores after a 28 mile run:

Of course eat greasy Mexican Food.  I know that is what you were all thinking.

We left for Big Bear at 12:30, hit traffic and didn’t get to one of the Jacob family’s favorite hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints until 2:30.

Let’s just say I was starting to get a tid bit cranky and I started gnawing at my pillow and checking under the seats for old pretzels and gummy bears.

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

Fish taco and a shrimp burrito with a side of greasy bangs.

Somehow I can find enough time to finish all 10 seasons of Friends for the eleventh time, bake at least two goodies a day and run for hours but I am WAY too busy to waste time on things like hair, plucking my eyebrows or fixing my fingernail polish.

IMG_3227.jpg

Billy mentioned the words ice cream at lunch which is always a mistake because once someone says those words I can’t stop thinking about it until I have it in my hands.

MANDATORY stop at Mickey D’s….my poor in-laws deal with my craziness quite well.

Do you have any favorite hole in the wall restaurants?

-There is a place in Provo called “Diego’s” and it is beyond good.  Just don’t peak into the kitchen.

Do you like seafood?

-I could live off of seafood.  I love it all.  I can eat sashimi, crab, lobster, shrimp, mahi, halibut, salmon and tuna tataki like it is my last meal.  Crap, my own question made me hungry again.

Nicole December 27, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Not a big sea food fan but sounds like an eventful trip! you are so gorgy!

Miranda December 27, 2010 at 8:40 pm

That looks amazing!

It's all about priorities, it's amazing how I can manage to keep track of all facebook happens, but laundry is beyond my ability to keep up with :)

All the places around here are the 'hole in the wall' variety.

I too could live off seafood.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail December 27, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Girl you deserve as many McD's as you want after that run!

Are you planning on making up your own training plan in prep for Boston? Or will you use another you have in the past?

Hope you keep enjoying time at your in-laws!

Mamarunsbarefoot December 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I don't really have a hole in the wall restaurant. I love fish tacos though!! I make them often.. YUMMO!

Janetha December 27, 2010 at 8:47 pm

that mexican looks so dang good! i never venture to happy valley but if i do i will have to meet you at diegos :)

Savannah December 27, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Food looks so good! My fav hole in the wall is a burger joint, Nick's in my hometown. President Obama even goes there when he's in town!

Love seafood – would eat it every meal.

fitchocoholic December 27, 2010 at 9:03 pm

There's a bbg restaurant in memphis called the Commissary and its AWESOME!!! They even have bbq baked potatoes and salads w/ bbq on them….and ribs, and bbq pork, ham or turkey…..and homemade pies…and other yummy stuff!!!!
I LOVE seafood!!!!!!!!

The Running Family December 27, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Joe T Garcias in Fort Worth Texas. Hands down the best mexican food. Cash only and their margaritas rock!
You're crazy to "accidentally" run a marathon! I envy you. With two kids and a full time job, I've dedicated myself to improving at the half marathon.

Matt December 27, 2010 at 9:05 pm

We had lobster for dinner, so yes, I like seafood ;)

drkgood December 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I can't believe you accidentally ran 28 miles. You really are insane, Janae, but that's why we like you so much. Your Mexican didn't look that greasy. And I always crave greasy Mexican or pizza after long runs. And ice cream. I think I need a ice cream right now.

d.a.r. December 27, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Mmmm I love fishies!! Salmon and tuna are my fave. And you can't go wrong with sushi!! Ah crap, now I am totally craving a spicy tuna roll :)

dorrybird December 27, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I would have been ravenous and when I'm hungry, I get so cranky – haha. Glad you finally got some food.

There's a hole-in-the-wall diner that we'd always go to during high school called Metro Diner. And I have some favorite Tex-Mex hole-in-the-wall places in Austin. Billy loves a greasy burger and fries from a couple places in Dallas, too.

I love salmon sashimi and tuna sashimi AND tuna tataki. Let's go on a sushi date.

Abby December 27, 2010 at 9:41 pm

My favorite post-marathon fuel is french fries and hot chocolate.

My favorite post-adventure race fuel is french fries and diet coke from the fountain (NOT a can or bottle).

No idea why they're different, but they most definitely are :)

Abby December 27, 2010 at 9:42 pm

(Speaking of food – given my comments on your blog, between the candy and the fro yo and the french fries, I must seem like a total junk food-y – I promise, I'm not!)

Regina December 27, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Love mexican- it is my favorite food- that looks delish! I am wishing I had a good hole in the wall restaurant around here right now!

I love most seafood-except lobster, I don't know what it is, but blech! Love fish and shrimp the most.

cleaneatingchelsey.com December 27, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I love hole in the wall restaurants – particularly Mexican places! I'm the same way as you. My eyebrows can go weeks without being tamed, my fingernails can be chipped for days, and I can be living in sweatpants because the laundry hasn't been done, but I sure find time to do a bunch of other things!

Anna P December 27, 2010 at 10:13 pm

That food looks T to the 'asty! YUM!!
By the way, mentioned you in my blog post, check it out!!

flyrunner December 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm

That fish taco and shrimp burrito look amazing! I could live off of seafood and die happy! :)

Shannon December 27, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Sooo delish looking. Love fish tacos.

whatkateiscooking December 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Still floored that you ran that far. You are awesome!!

Jenna Renee December 27, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Seafood is great! Salmon is my favorite food EVER. And Joe and I can cook a mean seafood pesto pasta. We made it for my dad for his birthday this year and he LOVED it. It was his first time ever having pesto! :)

Val December 27, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I love sea food! and I am absolutely in love with shrimp tacos…my weakness!!!!!!

I love Mcdonalds cones…it's a must every sunday at our house, is that a problem?!?!?! ;)

Amanda@runninghood December 28, 2010 at 12:03 am

okay, I had to go back and read your last post…I'm behind on here. Don't know how that happened since I pretty much make your blog a must read every day since it makes me smile so much. Good Grief, you have some God Given Born To Run Talent?!! You ran 28 miles in a time that most would give anything to run a marathon in! I am in awe How do you feel? ARe you sore?

Okay, for real now…are you making up your own Boston plan? Doing whatever? We all really want to know this! Please share. :)

And I love sea food.
A most beautiful run is here in Oregon in Forest Park The Napa Valley Marathon, and Running by the sea in New Zealand.

Amanda@runninghood December 28, 2010 at 12:05 am

OH, and the God Given Born To Run Talent wasn't a question…don't know how that question mark got in there…it is a clear fact obvious to us all. Do your students know what a hardcore runner you are?

Amanda@runninghood December 28, 2010 at 12:41 am

In response to your comments; You are so awesome about not missing a beat! you always are so good at responding. Ha, and just when I think you've slipped and wondering what you are thinking about me living in Cali, you already catch your own mistake…so fast! :) rockstar material for sure. ;) I would be willing to run any marathon with you…or at least many minutes behind you. Like probably a good half hour! :) You're shooting for a sub 3 (I vote 2:45ish) and I am shooting for a 3:15. But hey, it would be so fun to have a bloggy meet up one of these days for a fun marathon. Wish I was going to Boston as planned. Stupid injuries! Looking forward to seeing your Janae Plan this week. I'm sure you already have a few 50 mile runs worked in here and there.

Katefreak December 28, 2010 at 12:55 am

I love seafood, grew up in a beach town, so I think it comes along with the territory.

I'm still in awe of you and your run.

Maria December 28, 2010 at 6:13 am

Woah a 28 mile run! Thats amazing!

Rachel McPhillips December 28, 2010 at 7:04 am

I still can't believe you ran 28 miles… but I do love me some fish tacos. Seafood is my favorite. I really can't stand meat all that much, except seafood.. YUMMY!

Jogging with Fiction December 28, 2010 at 7:20 am

I have a favorite hole in the wall thai place called Som Siam. It's incredible! And I love seafood. I'm technically a vegetarian because I really don't like the taste of meat, but seafood is delicious!

lexilives December 28, 2010 at 7:58 am

mmmm now I really want crabcakes. At 9:00A.M. oh well.

and you always look polished and pretty! plucking eyebrows is overrated anyhow.

Mallory December 28, 2010 at 8:11 am

There are several random restaurants around here that I like. Most of them are Mexican places.

I do like some seafood. Growing up in the midwest we didn't eat it a lot but since I moved to New England I have it a lot more.

Pixie December 28, 2010 at 8:39 am

I too love Mexican food. Right now fish tacos are really big in DC. My favorite place to eat is Granville Moores, they have the best mussels.

Happy Feet 26.2 December 28, 2010 at 9:54 am

mexican, seafood, ice cream …. It's ALL GOOD!

so was the 28 miler just a run for fun, or part of your training for Boston? Nice!

kitkatkateblog December 28, 2010 at 10:12 am

Haha! You are so lucky to have a kind husband and family who put up with your shenanigans! :)

Kara Lynn December 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

MMMM my favorite hole in the wall is called Andy's. I actually stopped and got take out from there last night cuz it's my husband's favorite too. It's just a little dive up here in Ogden. And I love love LOVE sushi!

Jamie Pickle December 28, 2010 at 11:17 am

OMG, I have been craving Mexican for days and this post may have just sealed the deal fro me.

Seriously, the best fish tacos I have ever had were in Maui at a restaurant named Milagros. Best ever!!! Wish I could find something similar here in Cali.

J December 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Oh I just looooove seafood. I wish I could eat if more often. For lunch today I went to a taco place and now I am wayyy too full so I am in the basement sitting on my future father in laws bike pedaling away to try and make me feel less full. It's like multi tasking.

melissadishes December 28, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I have taco envy. those look awesome.

I LOVE seafood. Funny, when I lived on the sea in college for 4 years, I really never ate it. Now I eat it every chance I get (when I know it's fresh).

Hmmm, favorite "hole in the wall" probably has to be Cora's Cafe in my parent's hometown. Rundown and ugly, but OH so good!

Stephanie December 28, 2010 at 6:05 pm

LOVE LOVE seafood! My fiance' doesn't like it at all, so I rarely make it at home, but almost always order it when we go out!

Heather December 28, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I wished I liked seafood…but I don't. My husband always tries to get me to taste it, I whine, he "forces" me (okay not really) :), I try it and tell him that I still don't like it. Wish I did, though! It's so good for you.